• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
oh god the game is giving me such crazy motion sickness

i very rarely have this problem (hl2 airboat was my first experience with it, and i don't even remember the other games i had problems with because they weren't so bad)

but anyway this is awful ): the worst it's ever been

AcridMeat

Banned
Curse you steam!!!!

Yet again I make a purchase I was considering the day before as soon as I wake up. Literally woke up and I was thinking about how certain mechanics work in the game so I said "okay I'm buying it."

Also had a real bad urge to blast Manfred Mann's cover of Blinded by the Light. :lol :lol

edit: Would anyone like to play Civ4 later in the afternoon today?

I was going to ask if anyone wanted to get in a four pack for Iron Grip: Warlord, but it got bad reviews and I haven't heard anything else about it.

And I was thinking about Biozone but I can't find a damn thing about this game anywhere.

i downloaded iron grip demo. tried to max it out and then it gave me an openGL error and somehow it didn't show on my game library list anymore. :lol

panda21 said:
hmm can you mod the mountain blade warband to look like the polished landscapes mod, or did they include all that anyway?

is it basically the same but with MP and slightly better graphics? is the SP update worthwhile?

I'd say so. A different map with new enemies to slaughter is all that I wanted, and Warband delievers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
oh god the game is giving me such crazy motion sickness

i very rarely have this problem (hl2 airboat was my first experience with it, and i don't even remember the other games i had problems with because they weren't so bad)

but anyway this is awful ): the worst it's ever been

Haha, yeah the movement in Sin feels really weird. It's like a potent combo of FoV and weapon bob.

Javaman

DMPrince said:
i downloaded iron grip demo. tried to max it out and then it gave me an openGL error and somehow it didn't show on my game library list anymore. :lol

Check in tools. The demo goes there for some reason.

The game is pretty fun but buggy. It's an interesting mesh tower defense with 1st person shooting and rts for planting defensive spots. Also has co-op for up to 8 players which scales up the enemies. It could have used a couple more months of polish but the devs are apparently still working on it.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
Check in tools. The demo goes there for some reason.

The game is pretty fun but buggy. It's an interesting mesh tower defense with 1st person shooting and rts for planting defensive spots. Also has co-op for up to 8 players which scales up the enemies. It could have used a couple more months of polish but the devs are apparently still working on it.

Would you say it's worth 10 bucks? Ah how is the single player?

Blizzard

Banned
Here's are some rough cobbled-together map images with an estimate of the FUEL route last night that Oreo, n0b, Jangaroo, Javaman and I took. It would be cool if there were an ingame feature for this. I think we played maybe 3ish hours total to cover this small region? :lol The red lines are my guess as to the route, though we probably did a fair bit of cross country.

ncmq6c.jpg

Javaman

Gexecuter said:
Would you say it's worth 10 bucks? Ah how is the single player?

For me it was (Thanks for the gift Kuro!)

but with everyone different I'd recommend checking out the demo. The devs have a decent amount of feedback on the steam forum and are going to work some people's suggestions into future versions.

Railer

Blizzard said:
Here's are some rough cobbled-together map images with an estimate of the FUEL route last night that Oreo, n0b, Jangaroo, Javaman and I took. It would be cool if there were an ingame feature for this. I think we played maybe 3ish hours total to cover this small region? :lol The red lines are my guess as to the route, though we probably did a fair bit of cross country.

ncmq6c.jpg

Hey, I'm up for some Fuel too anytime. Whats your GFWL names?
Mine is: ShinyBrotato

Blizzard

Banned
Railer said:
Hey, I'm up for some Fuel too anytime. Whats your GFWL names?
Mine is: ShinyBrotato
FUELBlizzard. I think I'm AgentElrond on Steam if you want to add me too, since we were coordinating through a Steam chat room.

Railer said:
Also, i just picked up the Civ4 collection , did i only have to install Beyond the Sword and i'd get the rest ?

Just install Beyond the Sword unless you want to play some of the scenarios specific to the other expansions. It has everything else included.

Blizzard said:

[*IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/ncmq6c.jpg[/IMG]
Really they have very few online features. They just throw you in. There's not even a text chat.

You guys should add me; I'd join in. Edit: I was going to add you, but there is no AgentElrond.

Chris R

Having a bitch of a time trying to get controllers working with the GTA games/Midnight Club from the Rockstar pack. Good thing I have some Max Pain to hold me off a bit before I get really angry and start knocking over digital magazine racks!

Anyone been able to get a wired 360 controller (Win7 with drivers already installed) working with GTA III/VC/SA/EFLC or MCII?

Blizzard

Banned
Desaparecido said:
Really they have very few online features. They just throw you in. There's not even a text chat.

You guys should add me; I'd join in. Or I'll just add you.
Add me ingame and on Steam, the more the merrier. They don't have many features or much configurability, but I'm still a little impressed that you can basically just jump into the world with some people, and drive like 100 miles with no loading and only occasional loss of the people's icons. Even the race maps may be part of the main world map itself, which is kind of cool, though of course you jump to a different server or something if you race with people. (I could be wrong and maybe only the start of the races are on the main roads though)

Huh, my community page shows up as http://steamcommunity.com/id/agentelrond/home so that should work I thought. I'll be back tonight, and if I'm not playing L4D2 or TF2 I'm up for another FUEL run.

*edit* If anyone wants, I can make a thread in the online forum. Everyone will probably lose interest shortly, but we could coordinate a few FUEL drives there without hijacking this thread. :p

Truespeed

rhfb said:
Having a bitch of a time trying to get controllers working with the GTA games/Midnight Club from the Rockstar pack. Good thing I have some Max Pain to hold me off a bit before I get really angry and start knocking over digital magazine racks!

Anyone been able to get a wired 360 controller (Win7 with drivers already installed) working with GTA III/VC/SA/EFLC or MCII?

I have no problem with the 360 wired controller on GTA III or GTA VC (running Windows 7 x64).

Blizzard said:
Huh, my community page shows up as http://steamcommunity.com/id/agentelrond/home so that should work I thought. I'll be back tonight, and if I'm not playing L4D2 or TF2 I'm up for another FUEL run.
I think there's separate names for login, URL, and then the actual username. It says yours is Blizzard, which it didn't accept when I tried. It finally accepted it by clicking the "Add to your friends list" button on your profile. :lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Blizzard said:
Add me ingame and on Steam, the more the merrier. They don't have many features or much configurability, but I'm still a little impressed that you can basically just jump into the world with some people, and drive like 100 miles with no loading and only occasional loss of the people's icons. Even the race maps may be part of the main world map itself, which is kind of cool, though of course you jump to a different server or something if you race with people. (I could be wrong and maybe only the start of the races are on the main roads though)

*edit* If anyone wants, I can make a thread in the online forum. Everyone will probably lose interest shortly, but we could coordinate a few FUEL drives there without hijacking this thread. :p
I'm up for another FUEL run with you and Oreo later tonight. That late night thunderstorm we got caught in was really atmospheric. Too bad mic chatting with GFWL is craptascular. I could hardly hear you guys.
I took one screen shot from the run last night. I have to say, the draw distance is pretty amazing considering the fact that there isn't any loading inbetween areas.

WOAHG.png

Volcynika

Recommendation for easy mic chat on Steam

Invite people to a chat (easy to do, use 'Invite to chat" in upper right of Steam message to a friend on your list)

Start voice chat

Exit overlay

Voila! Voice chat in the Steam thing functions fine even when the overlay isn't on.

Railer

Desaparecido said:
I think there's separate names for login, URL, and then the actual username. It says yours is Blizzard, which it didn't accept when I tried. It finally accepted it by clicking the "Add to your friends list" button on your profile. :lol

How the heck did you manage to add him? I cant find either agentelrond or Blizzard on steam.

Volcynika said:
Invite people to a chat (easy to do, use 'Invite to chat" in upper right of Steam message to a friend on your list)
Start voice chat
Exit overlay
Voila! Voice chat in the Steam thing functions fine even when the overlay isn't on.
Does this include text chat? I often can't talk.

Railer said:
How the heck did you manage to add him? I cant find either agentelrond or Blizzard on steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/agentelrond/

Volcynika

Desaparecido said:
Does this include text chat? I often can't talk.

You can enable voice chat for yourself (while still being able to text chat) or just type in the chat box with normal text. Only disadvantage is to use the text chat you obviously have to pop up the overlay.

Volcynika said:

Start voice chat

Exit overlay

I used to do this until I realized that Skype is way better.

Volcynika

TouchMyBox said:
I used to do this until I realized that Skype is way better.

Yeah, but using Steam without having to setup Skype is the most painfree way (though easy to setup, it still takes more things to do!)

Volcynika said:
You can enable voice chat for yourself (while still being able to text chat) or just type in the chat box with normal text. Only disadvantage is to use the text chat you obviously have to pop up the overlay.
Cool. It's better than nothing. :lol

rhfb said:

You could try the XBCD driver. That's all I use and it works great with every game I've ever tried with it, including MC 2.

epmode

LocoMrPollock said:
You could try the XBCD driver. That's all I use and it works great with every game I've ever tried with it, including MC 2.
Best program ever.

But if you're running Windows 7 64, you're going to have to find a way to put the OS in Test Mode before you're permitted to run unsigned drivers like this.
Pyrokai said:
This is proooooobably a stupid question, but when does the Mac version of Steam come out? :\
The 12th I think? I'm hoping for the updated achivement-ready versions of HL2 and Episode 1 with the release! plsplspls

epmode said:
Best program ever.

But if you're running Windows 7 64, you're going to have to find a way to put the OS in Test Mode before you're permitted to run unsigned drivers like this.

Yeah, the steps for installing it are included in the link.

I think this is new, but Natural Selection 2 is now officially a Steam game, you can tie your preorder codes to your steam account and download / play the alpha through steam and everything now (although you just show up as playing a mystery game while doing so)

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:

Start voice chat

Exit overlay

This is exactly what most of us did last night, though Oreo apparently couldn't hear it so his Steam mic settings might have been turned off. I try not to run the overlay ingame since I feel like it makes things lag. Once we get a chat going, the steps are:

1. Make sure your mic is muted in the ingame GFWL overlay, through settings.
2. Hit start voicechat in the Steam chat, after making sure your mic and volumes are good in Steam settings.
3. Hit Settings to set up a push to talk button. I use the left alt key, and just reach up to use it while I'm steering with the 360 pad. Don't use ctrl, that's the default accelerate button for FUEL.

If you can't talk that's fine, just as long as you can hear other people, since someone whose mic is decent can just say "ok everyone stop for now and let's coordinate our next destination with text chat for a minute". If you mute everyone that's fine, but you'll have to figure it out for youself then. :lol

What we did last night was just take turns picking a leader who had points to go for, and then everyone just followed in the general vicinity. It occurred to me today that after a drive we could do some sort of freeform race to a destination that everyone had -- any route and vehicle you want, see who can get back home fastest.

Railer

epmode said:
Best program ever.

But if you're running Windows 7 64, you're going to have to find a way to put the OS in Test Mode before you're permitted to run unsigned drivers like this.The 12th I think? I'm hoping for the updated achivement-ready versions of HL2 and Episode 1 with the release! plsplspls

Just press F8 when you boot windows and check "disable sign drivers" or whatever.
It might be more useful to me since i reboot once every 4 months though, so i dont have to press F8 that much XD

panda21

Railer said:
Just press F8 when you boot windows and check "disable sign drivers" or whatever.
It might be more useful to me since i reboot once every 4 months though, so i dont have to press F8 that much XD

wat

MNC

Wow, I didn't know you could do that with FUEL. That's neat. So it's kind of an open ended race/crossing game?

Railer

oversensitive said:
You are wasting resources but if I had your benefits I would probably do it too as long as my landlord doesn't care.

I always consider my comp being on all night is because of all the wind and water power we have over here ! (Ok, i never thougth that, but still!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom