• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
MNC said:
Wow, I didn't know you could do that with FUEL. That's neat. So it's kind of an open ended race/crossing game?
Pretty much. It's entirely open world.

Slavik81

Railer said:
Well, electricity is already counted into my monthly fee for the apartment, so i don't pay anything extra. So yeah, my computer is on basiclly 24/7 for months.
Windows 7 has great power-management settings. At least use them if you don't already. Hit the windows key, type Power Options and set your options.

(Also, do you never update your computer? Windows Update tends to want you to restart maybe once a week.)

Teknoman

chixdiggit said:
No I never did. Looks good though, thanks. Kind of reminds me of Joe and Mac (I played the bejezus out of back in the day).

Everyones just hoping the new game is as good as the older ones.

panda21

does steam ever download files that look like "21158209update.exe" into Users/you/AppData/Local/Temp/ ?

i keep getting virus warnings on them and i can't figure out what is downloading them

Railer

Slavik81 said:
Windows 7 has great power-management settings. At least use them if you don't already. Hit the windows key, type Power Options and set your options.

(Also, do you never update your computer? Windows Update tends to want you to restart maybe once a week.)

It does want me to restart it now and then. I just ignore it. And I'm fully aware of the power options, i just don't see any reason to use them.

Railer said:
It does want me to restart it now and then. I just ignore it. And I'm fully aware of the power options, i just don't see any reason to use them.
I also leave my computer on 24/7, but there's no reason to waste power, especially if the power options are so simple and unobtrusive.

Blizzard said:
It occurred to me today that after a drive we could do some sort of freeform race to a destination that everyone had -- any route and vehicle you want, see who can get back home fastest.
You can make a custom race with just two points.

luiztfc

Everytime I start Steam it gets so slow to the point of being unusable. I click some shortcut and the mouse arrow turns to the cicling ball while steam just freezes. But, after maybe 5 mins, it get normal, running at blazing full speed. Don't know what to do and it is Steam Beta.

Specs:
i7 920
2 GB Ram
HD 5770
Win 7

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Modern Warfare 2 is a whopping 17% off. Buy buy buy!

Joe Molotov said:
Dawn of Discovery Gold just dropped from $49.99 to $29.99 in the US store. Bought!
Does it still have the DRM?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
So apparently Jericho is $5. Thinking about buying. I always kind of liked the demo... :|

BobsRevenge said:
So apparently Jericho is $5. Thinking about buying. I always kind of liked the demo... :|

Hmm, £3.49 in the UK. I remember thinking the demo was ok as well. I'll give it another go before buying as I haven't played it since it was first released.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shame about Dawn of Discovery. I played and loved the Wii version (seriously, it's great, and available for less than 20). Would like to graduate to the PC version, but knowing Ubisoft now, it's either they keep TAGES or add their new online DRM. :lol

robatw

Joe Molotov said:
Dawn of Discovery Gold just dropped from $49.99 to $29.99 in the US store. Bought!

Can you check the languages please? It says Spanish French and English but i believe there must be German too.

It costs 50€ in the german Store so i would love to buy it in the US Store.

Corran Horn said:
Should I get Civ4 or 3? This is for my Acer Apsire One netbook (XP) for when I go on my Euro trip.

I doubt 4 would run. 3 is probably your best bet, but not owning one I can't really confirm. Specs look fine though.

Xyphie

PCX2E-NNHMC-QPQGH-7LHEH-KPHAD

Free AvP key if someone wants it. Already have the game and got this OEM key with a graphics card purchase.

Nabs

Civ IV (BTS) has been sucking up so much of my time (nearly 17hrs) sheesh! Such a great deal.

Can you deactivate a machine w/ DoD? 3 machine activation limit seems kinda crazy.

Blizzard

Banned
Desaparecido said:
You can make a custom race with just two points.
But can you do that with a group of people online, like from the world map?

Jangaroo said:
Pretty much. It's entirely open world.
Get back online!

MNC said:
Wow, I didn't know you could do that with FUEL. That's neat. So it's kind of an open ended race/crossing game?
Basically, yeah. It gets low ratings presumably because the world is empty of people and vehicles and doesn't have more variety, I guess, and there are some missing feature and not really much in the way of configurability/modding (not to mention the lack of AA thing people complained about).

It DOES have a ton of unlockable points, liveries (paint/designs for vehicles and people), vista points (like scenic views) and challenges. It has some very atmospheric weather like thunderstorms and tornados and clouds and sunsets and such. I haven't seen any fog yet, dunno if it's in.

But the best thing in my opinion is the GIANT MAP where if you're in the mood, you can just drive for hours with no loading or anything. And as we've been pointing out, you can randomly do that with a bunch of friends too. I'm considering going ahead and getting the chatroom started for later tonight (maybe start driving in 1-1.5 hours?) but I might play some TF2 or something first. Four people added me from this thread alone, so if anyone from last night plays we might have a pretty sizable group.

*edit* Room is up. Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/agentelrond if you want to play in like an hour. We have 6 people including me currently idling.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
But can you do that with a group of people online, like from the world map?
No, there's not a party system like that in place to take people automatically from online free-ride to an online race. Someone would need to set up the custom race (not hard) and invite everyone to the race lobby via GFWL. Which requires gamertags/friend requests. It's what I wanted to do last night when n0b and Java hopped on, but I didn't take it to the next logical step of making a custom race.

Also RE the weather I still haven't seen a tornado but I did hit a patch of fog in the 3rd or 4th zone the other day.

Oreoleo

Desaparecido said:
That's what I meant.

That's a pain in the butt though. You have to do it every single race I believe. There's no easy way to keep a group of people together and bounce around between racing and free-riding.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
No, there's not a party system like that in place to take people automatically from online free-ride to an online race. Someone would need to set up the custom race (not hard) and invite everyone to the race lobby via GFWL. Which requires gamertags/friend requests. It's what I wanted to do last night when n0b and Java hopped on, but I didn't take it to the next logical step of making a custom race.

Also RE the weather I still haven't seen a tornado but I did hit a patch of fog in the 3rd or 4th zone the other day.
Cool. For now, I think we're just going to do a free ride for starters. We have 8 in the room now total. 30 minutes left. *edit* The replies were for people not in the room yet...kinda why I asked if I should make an online area thread instead. Sorry. ;-;

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Cool. For now, I think we're just going to do a free ride for starters. We have 8 in the room now total. 30 minutes left.

Yeah that's fine. I prefer it actually.

edit: aren't you playing tf2 right now? why are we in a chat room together and talking on the boards? crazyness.

Jangaroo said:
I'm up for another FUEL run with you and Oreo later tonight. That late night thunderstorm we got caught in was really atmospheric. Too bad mic chatting with GFWL is craptascular. I could hardly hear you guys.
I took one screen shot from the run last night. I have to say, the draw distance is pretty amazing considering the fact that there isn't any loading inbetween areas.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/jangaroo/WOAHG.png

You guys are convincing me to install fuel.

nodle

Xyphie said:
PCX2E-NNHMC-QPQGH-7LHEH-KPHAD

Free AvP key if someone wants it. Already have the game and got this OEM key with a graphics card purchase.

Dam I would had paid you something for this.

Steam won't process any transactions for me. I've tried two different credit card and Steam tells me that my purchase has been denied by credit card company. Both cards have plenty of funds available. Has anyone else ever run in this problem?

I really want to buy the Civ 4 complete pack too :(

Reluctant-Hero said:
Steam won't process any transactions for me. I've tried two different credit card and Steam tells me that my purchase has been denied by credit card company. Both cards have plenty of funds available. Has anyone else ever run in this problem?

try paying via paypal.

I would love to play Fuel with people online. I tried it singleplayer but couldn't really get into it very much.

Steamid: BudokaiMR2
GFWL: Budokaininja(I think..)

Nabs

thats weird. try buying through your browser (steampowered.com) although that may not be as effective now that they updated their client.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Steam won't even let me process a Paypal payment. I've tried using credit and bank account with funds. WTF?!
try another computer or place with faster connection. it may just be timing out and your bank and steam just aren't going through.

Joe Molotov

Reluctant-Hero said:

I got that earlier, but I just tried again later and it worked.

Nabs said:
thats weird. try buying through your browser (steampowered.com) although that may not be as effective now that they updated their client.

Yep, that's a negative. I created a support ticket. But I don't they'll help me in time to buy the Civ 4 pack. This sucks. PC Gaming is failing me.

My odometer started at ~480km, and ended at 631km. 150km seems a bit low, actually, considering those cars go 200km/h. Still, we went a damn long distance. :lol

And thus, FUELGAF was born.

Blizzard

Banned
I was worried at the start...we couldn't get the last person or two in, but by joining off the GFWL list and using the steam chatroom voice chat (make sure to hit voicechat even if you're not using it, so you can hear everyone else), we managed to stay together with EIGHT people, plus one random guy who followed us like 200 km or whatever. I guess he wondered where 8 cyclists were going to. :lol I think the server limit may be something like 8-10 random people. If you have more than that it can be hard to get everyone on the same one.

I'll try to find some of the better screenshots and post them later.

*edit* I'll leave these two here.

Cruising across the countryside, all nine of us?
33vkuvk.jpg

The few, the proud, those that stuck in and made it to one of the vistas.
2u77v3d.jpg

Before I install all three Civ4 games, do they download to the same copy, like Company of Heroes does with its expansions?

Blizzard said:
...plus one random guy who followed us like 200 km or whatever
I think I've seen him in free roam before, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom