• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
PumpkinPie said:
Anyone played Zombie Driver? It looks fun.
It is a top-down isometric arcade-ish game. It is OK, but I can't get into it. The keyboard controls are kinda clunky and the gamepad controls are not much better. I want to like it but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it is just too hard for me.

Red Scarlet

WickedLaharl said:
OT but, um, is there a way to send messages to people not on your friends list? sorry for the noobish question!

I think so, if you search for their username there's a thing on the side that says 'send this user a message'. I think you can do chat requests too.

Rufus

speculawyer said:
It is a top-down isometric arcade-ish game. It is OK, but I can't get into it. The keyboard controls are kinda clunky and the gamepad controls are not much better. I want to like it but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it is just too hard for me.
I used the following control scheme on a PS2 pad:
Gas R2, Reverse L2, Handbrake on Circle, Fire on Square, Left/Right on the D-pad, with camera set to "smart" (i.e. it points somewhat intelligently in the direction you're driving). Served me well, but sadly, the game is really shallow.
Has a neat twist at the end and once you get your head around it there's some fun to be had, but I don't think it's worth more than maybe 5€ or any of your time beyond finishing the story mode once.

Did anyone here play Clutch? Any good?

Zzoram

Desaparecido said:
Before I install all three Civ4 games, do they download to the same copy, like Company of Heroes does with its expansions?

I think I've seen him in free roam before, too.

Just install Beyond The Sword. It contains all the stuff from vanilla/Warlords except the scenarios (nobody plays those). Just play on a randomly generated map with your specifications, pick or random your civilization/leader, and start on Warlord difficulty if it's your first time. Adjust accordingly in subsequent games based on how badly you stomp or get stomped.

BTS is a much more balanced game too, since they stopped patching vanilla in 2007 but the last BTS patch is from 2009.

i really don't understand how the community features of steam works. like how do i start a text or voice chat while in game?

either i'm blind or these features are obtuse.

NIN90

WickedLaharl said:
i really don't understand how the community features of steam works. like how do i start a text or voice chat while in game?

either i'm blind or these features are obtuse.

press shift+tab ingame.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just bought my new PC, now I get to see if Steam's backup tool is worth a damn. I've heard horror stories, but I really don't want to redownload 100 gigs of games.

tempus67

Neo Member
Archie said:
I just bought my new PC, now I get to see if Steam's backup tool is worth a damn. I've heard horror stories, but I really don't want to redownload 100 gigs of games.

The backup tool is slow and kinda sucky. I just copy my steam folder when moving to a new machine. Most games will work after doing this. Some games will lose your prefs/saves because they store them outside of the steam folders. Those are usually in your windows user folder, and copying that stuff over will also work, generally.

Note I've only done this on XP - not sure how it would go on Vista/Windows 7 but in theory it should be the same aside from pathing issues for the stuff outside of the steam folder.

i don't see anyway to simply start a chat :/

only way i can see to do such things is to click on a group and when i click on friends invite to chatroom is greyed out for me.

man i bet i'm overlooking something pretty simple :lol

Tokubetsu

tempus67 said:
The backup tool is slow and kinda sucky. I just copy my steam folder when moving to a new machine. Most games will work after doing this. Some games will lose your prefs/saves because they store them outside of the steam folders. Those are usually in your windows user folder, and copying that stuff over will also work, generally.

Note I've only done this on XP - not sure how it would go on Vista/Windows 7 but in theory it should be the same aside from pathing issues for the stuff outside of the steam folder.

I find the backup to disc option or w/e its call works pretty well as long as the game is up to date. Remember to grab saves and profiles though as those are often kept in your documents folder and not in programfiles.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
WickedLaharl said:
OT but, um, is there a way to send messages to people not on your friends list? sorry for the noobish question!
Easily? No, thankfully. It would fucking suck if any gamer on Steam could trashtalk after a match.

Otherwise, click on their name in the Steam Community webpage, and send them a message.

yeah i'm gonna have to disagree there. more options are nice.

if the option were there and you get a nasty message all you'd have to do is block that user.

or they could give me that option along with privacy settings that only allow correspondence with friends for the sensitive types.

NIN90 said:
hey did you find the option to chat with friends

yup. although start a chat room is still greyed out in the options. ah well.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Desaparecido said:
Before I install all three Civ4 games, do they download to the same copy, like Company of Heroes does with its expansions?

I think I've seen him in free roam before, too.

People have been saying unless you want to play a specific game of vanilla Civ 4 or warlords installing Beyond the Sword will install all the content except for colonization.

bee

hmmm modern warfare 2 is pretty good actually, well apart from the horrible fov. looks fairly spectacular (especially favela) with 4x super sampling and never drops from 91fps in multi :O might buy it :(

MNC

If I buy JUST Civ4 Warlords, will I be content?

NO! I shouldn't buy any more steam games! Too many small monies equal big monies. Le sigh :(

Joe Molotov

MNC said:

NO! I shouldn't buy any more steam games! Too many small monies equal big monies. Le sigh :(

You have to at least own the base game, you can't just buy the expansions (except Colonization which is a standalone game).

Zzoram

WickedLaharl said:

i don't see anyway to simply start a chat :/

only way i can see to do such things is to click on a group and when i click on friends invite to chatroom is greyed out for me.

man i bet i'm overlooking something pretty simple :lol

Click View All Friends to bring up your friend's list.

Zzoram

bee said:
hmmm modern warfare 2 is pretty good actually, well apart from the horrible fov. looks fairly spectacular (especially favela) with 4x super sampling and never drops from 91fps in multi :O might buy it :(

The free weekend works!

Joe Molotov said:
You have to at least own the base game, you can't just buy the expansions (except Colonization which is a standalone game).

I bought BTS on Steam as I already owned Civ 4 and Warlords retail, and it lets me play BTS without anything else installed

Zzoram

MNC said:

You need base Civ4 to play Warlords and BTS. BTS contains all the units/balance changes from Warlords, so there is no point in playing Warlords besides a few scenarios, but nobody plays Civ for the scenarios, and the Warlords ones aren't that good anyways.

Zzoram said:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8800/

Notice: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword requires the Steam version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV to play.

I'm confused.

Yeah, I know it should - but when I installed Win7 I didn't reinstall Civ 4, but as BTS was on my steam backup I tried it out and I can go ahead and play it fine without any other Civ 4 stuff on my PC (well, I have Colonization through Steam, but I cant see why that should matter)

EDIT:
no pics no proof:
weird.gif

Zzoram

I read that apparently the original release of BTS on Steam didn't require Civ IV. Then somebody at 2K decided to require the Steam version of Civ IV since they didn't want people to just buy BTS and get everything just for the price of an expansion pack. People who bought it before the requirement was implemented can still use it without the Steam version of Civ IV.

robatw

robatw said:
Can you check the languages please? It says Spanish French and English but i believe there must be German too.

It costs 50€ in the german Store so i would love to buy it in the US Store.

Any help on that? I'm talking about Dawn of Discovery Gold.

thefil

robatw said:
Any help on that? I'm talking about Dawn of Discovery Gold.

I'm not sure if this is the information you want, but the US store version does not list German as an available language.

In other news, the game is down to 29.99. Now I'm tempted...

Vastag said:
I can launch without having CIV4 installed

No. You have to install Civ IV, then BTS, then launch BTS.

Edit: Actually, I always just assumed this, never tried it. It's easy enough to try, and seeing other responses here it seems it works without Civ IV.

traveler

Not Wario
Got a buddy who will be getting Steam with the launch of the Mac version and he really wants the Civ pack. What I want to know is (a) if I, already owning all the Civ games, can buy them again and have extra copies sitting on my account, (b) if the series is Mac compatible, and (c) if I can buy them now on my PC and be able to gift them to a Mac user later.

traveler said:
Got a buddy who will be getting Steam with the launch of the Mac version and he really wants the Civ pack. What I want to know is (a) if I, already owning all the Civ games, can buy them again and have extra copies sitting on my account, (b) if the series is Mac compatible, and (c) if I can buy them now on my PC and be able to gift them to a Mac user later.
A. No
B. Yes, but nothing is known on if the Steam versions will be compatible.
C. See A and B.

robatw

thefil said:
I'm not sure if this is the information you want, but the US store version does not list German as an available language.

In other news, the game is down to 29.99. Now I'm tempted...

Yeah i read that on Steam but i would like to get a real confirmation. The German Steam Store lists other languages.

Rufus said:
I used the following control scheme on a PS2 pad:
Gas R2, Reverse L2, Handbrake on Circle, Fire on Square, Left/Right on the D-pad, with camera set to "smart" (i.e. it points somewhat intelligently in the direction you're driving). Served me well, but sadly, the game is really shallow.
Has a neat twist at the end and once you get your head around it there's some fun to be had, but I don't think it's worth more than maybe 5€ or any of your time beyond finishing the story mode once.

Did anyone here play Clutch? Any good?
PS2 pad is a good idea. I was playing with the 360 controller.. The controls of the game are digital so it didn't feel right with the analog stick. And we know had bad the 360 D-pad is so I didn't bother trying that. But perhaps I should.

I'll give it another try. Hmm . . . actually, I think I have a PS2 adapter somewhere, maybe I can find that and a PS2 controller.

Tokubetsu said:
I find the backup to disc option or w/e its call works pretty well as long as the game is up to date. Remember to grab saves and profiles though as those are often kept in your documents folder and not in programfiles.
Yeah, I hate this. I use the 'my documents' folder for work and it is filled up with all these directories for games. It is especially embarrassing if I am with a client and trying to pull up a file and they see Bully, Bioshock, GHOSTBUSTERS, etc. :lol

bee said:
Yeah . . . I'm not a fan of multiplayer (since I just get my ass kicked) but it is great game. I'm tempted as well. I'd advise buying from Amazon for $37.80. And then just entering the key.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

$37.80 is not so bad. At least that is refusing to pay the original $59.99. Or even the $49.99 'sale' price.

Damn it . . . I'm starting to convince myself to get it. :-/ Must resist.

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . I'm not a fan of multiplayer (since I just get my ass kicked) but it is great game. I'm tempted as well. I'd advise buying from Amazon for $37.80. And then just entering the key.

Amazon will email you the key as soon as you purchase it?

Vastag

Zzoram said:
Do you own Civ IV on Steam?

Yes, I uninstalled it just before trying to launch BTS. Probably bought it before the Civ IV req was imposed (I think i got it on the Christmas sale)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I hate this. I use the 'my documents' folder for work and it is filled up with all these directories for games. It is especially embarrassing if I am with a client and trying to pull up a file and they see Bully, Bioshock, GHOSTBUSTERS, etc. :lol
Solution! Have 2 separate accounts on your computer, one for gaming and all that and one exclusively for work stuff, then your documents folder wouldn't be filled with embarassing game related things.

Joe Molotov

I'm going to have to get in with your guys the next time you do a FUEL run. It sounds a lot more fun than just cruising around by myself.

Zzoram said:
Just install Beyond The Sword. It contains all the stuff from vanilla/Warlords except the scenarios (nobody plays those). Just play on a randomly generated map with your specifications, pick or random your civilization/leader, and start on Warlord difficulty if it's your first time. Adjust accordingly in subsequent games based on how badly you stomp or get stomped.

BTS is a much more balanced game too, since they stopped patching vanilla in 2007 but the last BTS patch is from 2009.
So the only thing missing is the scenarios... let's say I wanted to play those and I downloaded vanilla/Warlords. They create separate copies of the game for that?

fallout

Desaparecido said:
So the only thing missing is the scenarios... let's say I wanted to play those and I downloaded vanilla/Warlords. They create separate copies of the game for that?
Yep. You launch them separately to access the content (or if you really wanted to see how Civ4 plays without the expansions). Your game list would basically look like:

Civilization 4
Civilization 4: Warlords
Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword

NoName#1

Neo Member
thewesker said:
No, they will ship you a box.
Video games in boxes? What will they think of next.

I'm also one of the people that this free weekend might have worked for. I really enjoyed MW2 on the consoles but I was finding it either boring or frustrating because I stopped playing as much and I was getting slaughtered. This weekend was the first time I've put any time on a PC FPS since Wolfenstein ET and I had a blast. I may have to pick this up for PC.

Damn you Steam and your effective marketing promotions.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom