• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
darkjedi187 said:
Anyone have any info on the MAC Client. Is it beta or public? Also will I have to repurchase my games from MAC?
Public May 12.

You won't have to repurchase any games, as far as I know. Definitely not Valve games. I'm unsure if Steam Play is a publisher decision or not.

Twig said:
Public May 12.

You won't have to repurchase any games, as far as I know. Definitely not Valve games. I'm unsure if Steam Play is a publisher decision or not.

That would be great if I don't have to repurchase peggle and plants vs zombies.

Twig

Banned
Well (provided you already own them on Steam) you shouldn't have to. I think Popcap was one of those on board with Steam Play (which just means if you buy a game on PC you can play it on Mac, and vice versa) for sure.

Twig said:
Well (provided you already own them on Steam) you shouldn't have to. I think Popcap was one of those on board with Steam Play (which just means if you buy a game on PC you can play it on Mac, and vice versa) for sure.

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to figure this out since I bought my fist MAC this last week.

hamchan

280tdhh.jpg

What is this pic!? What happened to busty aeroplane woman!?

Struct09

suplex said:
Not sure, but I've been waiting on a sale on that game since I passed on it during the holiday sale.

It's been on sale since. I didn't get it during the holiday sale, but got it for $2 during a mid-week sale back in March.

I totally did not know you could add non-steam games to steam until this weekend (to use steam community in-game). I'll be using steam A LOT more now that I know this.

On my side it just says "in-non steam game". On other websites they say that you show up as "in-non steam game, <game executable name>" to friends. Is that how it appears to others or does it show the name you've renamed the game to? And if not, is there a way to trick it into showing the name you want? (such as making a shortcut with the proper name).

Oreoleo

infinityBCRT said:
I totally did not know you could add non-steam games to steam until this weekend (to use steam community in-game). I'll be using steam A LOT more now that I know this.

On my side it just says "in-non steam game". On other websites they say that you show up as "in-non steam game, <game executable name>" to friends. Is that how it appears to others or does it show the name you've renamed the game to? And if not, is there a way to trick it into showing the name you want? (such as making a shortcut with the proper name).
Steam will show whatever you have the game titled as in your games list. I was trying to run the 64-bit Crysis in Steam once (Titled 'Crysis64') and got a message from Volcynika "lol Crysis on N64 lol" :D

Jirotrom

infinityBCRT said:

I already have Civ IV with all the expansions... can I add that into it?

Jirotrom said:
Yeah, you just need to click Add a Game in the bottom left corner of the steam client. If its not already in the list there you can browse for it. And with most games you should be able to access steam community features (friends list, web browser) by hitting shift+tab

Javaman

Jirotrom said:

It won't let you install or patch the game from inside steam, but it'll let you use the steam overlay from within the game.

Truespeed

Jirotrom said:
thanks guys... will i be able to launch the game from steam... without the disc?

I don't think so. Just because the game has been added to the Steam client doesn't mean the disc check is going to be bypassed.

52club

Altitude is a pretty cool multi-player game. It is well worth $5, but $10 might be pushing it. You could do worse for $10. I miss the old "cover" art.

suplex

Struct09 said:
It's been on sale since. I didn't get it during the holiday sale, but got it for $2 during a mid-week sale back in March.

Damn not sure how I missed that, I always check for the midweek and weekend deals. Oh well I'm sure it'll go on sale again.

Zzoram

crimsonheadGCN said:
Empire: Total War and Aliens Versus Predator are currently 50% off at the X-Fire Game Store.

I believe those are Steamworks games, at least the versions sold on Steam are. Are the Xfire store versions Steamworks games too? If so, the codes will redeem through Steam. They don't mention Steam anywhere, so I'm not confident that they are Steamworks versions. However, other stores hate advertising Steam so I don't know.

Bisonian

Zzoram said:
I believe those are Steamworks games, at least the versions sold on Steam are. Are the Xfire store versions Steamworks games too? If so, the codes will redeem through Steam. They don't mention Steam anywhere, so I'm not confident that they are Steamworks versions. However, other stores hate advertising Steam so I don't know.

Easy to check on this page, found from the front page of Support, under Retail CD Keys:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Both games you can register from a retail CD key.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kerrinck said:
Hope so, almost bought it last week. Fallout GOTY would be even better.

Yeah, I'd like that for 20$ so that I am actually saving by purchasing that instead of the last 3 DLC packs I need :lol

But seriously, they had the worst fucking DLC integration I have ever seen and I would be thrilled to drop 20$ to re-buy it to get those last couple DLC and never have to bother with installing them manually again.

John

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I'd like that for 20$ so that I am actually saving by purchasing that instead of the last 3 DLC packs I need :lol

But seriously, they had the worst fucking DLC integration I have ever seen and I would be thrilled to drop 20$ to re-buy it to get those last couple DLC and never have to bother with installing them manually again.
Can't say I know what you mean, apart from the DLC being putrid.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I never bought Oblivion because I heard such bad things about the vanilla game, but for $10 or less, the GOTY gets bought.

Ledsen said:
Does anyone know if Steam Oblivion can be modded without ANY problems at all? That's a dealbreaker.

In theory. But there is no such thing as modding Oblivion without any problems at all. But yes running the mod management software works and then you can launch from Steam I believe.

Ledsen

Affeinvasion said:
In theory. But there is no such thing as modding Oblivion without any problems at all. But yes running the mod management software works and then you can launch from Steam I believe.

Yeah I know, I've been into Elder Scrolls modding since 2005 :p But that was the info I was looking for, thanks.

MNC

Fuck my wallet. 24 dollar for AvP which is 18 euros is a steal. But I don't have a viable PC yet to play it on. I hate these deals :lol I want more money :(

CryptiK

MNC said:
Fuck my wallet. 24 dollar for AvP which is 18 euros is a steal. But I don't have a viable PC yet to play it on. I hate these deals :lol I want more money :(
it really isnt its a horrible horrible game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom