• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volcynika said:
You didn't notice Valve's flub:

The game has been on there quite a while.

well, here it says "released 11 May 2010". May be a region thing, however. Sorry.

EDITED: when entering the page, it says the right year, 2008... Sorry again.

Nabs

yep, just tried it. worked w/ my controller (not 360) right off the bat, and correctly. i played on normal, so it was really easy. gonna try it on hard later.

some graphic issues, transparency issues... also trying to see if i can force aa through ccc.

Slavik81

BobsRevenge said:
Couldn't they just leave it be its old-school hardcore self? That's what I love about it.
They changed it significantly long, long ago. It's pretty different now from when I was into it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Looks like Team Fortress 2 will be up for the AM. It just appeared in my list of downloadable titles I also see Portal and Torchlight so I think we might have a few surprises and some sales to get the MAC thing going! Going to be an expensive weekend!

MrMister said:
Wow Braid got updated. I thought it already had Steam Cloud support though?

It didn't sync saves. Jonathan Blow posted about it on the Steam forums; something about not wanting incompatibilities between people who play the demo and people who buy the full game, so he took that feature out at the last minute. Guess he changed his mind.

Might as well post here...but I bought a 4-pack of Plain Sight since I wanted to buy a copy for myself and my brother. That leaves me with 2 copies if anyone wants to buy on off me. I think it comes out to like $7.50 a copy, pm me your email and stuff and we can work out the paypal transfer :D

Polk

faceless007 said:
It didn't sync saves. Jonathan Blow posted about it on the Steam forums; something about not wanting incompatibilities between people who play the demo and people who buy the full game, so he took that feature out at the last minute. Guess he changed his mind.
Or added mac support?
I'm stupid not to read news

vocab said:
It's right along side the FF7, and FF8 release. Just you watch!

Not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic or a slap at my statements. FF7/8 have been added to the registry. Oblivion was added again today which usually means a particular game is going to receive an update or be placed on sale.

Shaneus

Ah. I just remember there being another space sale (D2D or Good Old Games I think) with a whole bunch of space stuff too.

They should get it on Steam. Then discount it.

Erudite

Shaneus said:
Ah. I just remember there being another space sale (D2D or Good Old Games I think) with a whole bunch of space stuff too.

They should get it on Steam. Then discount it.
It's a Stardock published game if I'm not mistaken, and Stardock does Impulse so... Pretty unlikely Sins is going to show up on Steam.

Traced-Velocity said:
It's a Stardock published game if I'm not mistaken, and Stardock does Impulse so... Pretty unlikely Sins is going to show up on Steam.
Yeah, unless Impulse just dies or something, Sins is never going on Steam.

legend166

Does anyone have a link handy to a good Civ IV guide?

I'm playing a game now and it's 1700 AD and I've only got like 6 cities. I'm trying to take down the damn Aztecs next to me, but their empire is so big and I only have so many musketmen :(

confused

Banned
oll Out Begins Weds, May 12

May 11, 2010 - Valve announced that Steam will launch on the Mac platform this Wednesday, May 12.

On subsequent Wednesdays, additional collections of Mac titles will become available, each designed to highlight specific functionalities of Steam on the Mac.

The first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate "Steam Play," which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms.

Portal, in addition to supporting Steam Play, will be the first of Valve's Source engine based games available on the Mac. Native OS/X support for the Source engine is also available immediately to licensees for use in their games.

Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games' critically acclaimed Torchlight. "We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well."

In addition to bringing the online functionality of Steam to the Mac, Valve will also make its Steamworks suite of publishing and development tools available on the Mac platform. These include product key authentication, copy protection, auto-updating, social networking, matchmaking, anti-cheat technology, and more. The features and services available in Steamworks are offered free of charge and may be used for both electronic and tangible versions of games.

For more information on Steam, please visit www.steamgames.com

As a multi computer user (Desktop when i'm in my room, Laptop when I'm downstairs or at work) its super annoying for steam to pop up and ask me for my password everytime I log into my other PC. And at one point even when I was putting in my login it kept saying I had to shut off steam on the other PC first. Gah.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
LovingSteam said:
Not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic or a slap at my statements. FF7/8 have been added to the registry. Oblivion was added again today which usually means a particular game is going to receive an update or be placed on sale.

I wouldn't take it personal. I think it was just a general statement, nothing directed towards you. I know i was getting kinda hyped when you told us about FF7/FF8.

vazel

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
As a multi computer user (Desktop when i'm in my room, Laptop when I'm downstairs or at work) its super annoying for steam to pop up and ask me for my password everytime I log into my other PC. And at one point even when I was putting in my login it kept saying I had to shut off steam on the other PC first. Gah.
I recently had to use two PCs and yea that's annoying. You should be able to use a set number of Steam instances from the same IP.

Minsc

Gold Member
infinityBCRT said:

Set the laptop to offline mode, and you won't have the problem any more.

Valve has supposedly confirmed the Linux version to the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7715209/Steam-for-Mac-goes-live.html

Mac users will be able to download Portal, Football Manager 2010 and Torchlight at launch, with more titles added every Wednesday.

"We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games, the company behind the title. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer."

Steam, which has around 25 million users, was launched in 2004, allowing PC owners to buy and download games to play on their computer. The library of games soon expanded, and there are now more than 1,000 titles available
Game studios will be able to use the Steam suite of development tools on the Mac platform to add social-networking and antipiracy features. Steam users who own both a Mac and a PC will be able to download already purchased games to their Apple computer.

Valve has also confirmed that it will make Steam available to Linux users in the coming months.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
That reminds me of what the humble indie dudes said. Once you port to mac, porting to linux is easy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, they really should have waited a few months before releasing the Mac version of Steam. Then they could have launched with a few more games.

Wait...

MNC

Rur0ni said:
Don't think it saved the save games before.
It does save games now? That's fucking awesome. It's one of the main things I want for steam cloud! Save games! I have about 3 different computers I game on. This is neat news. Valve should retroactively add cloud to all source games.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
zombieshavebrains said:
No. And 3 games available at launch is pretty disappointing. Not the splash i was hoping from Valve.

And I was hoping to play some Team Fortress 2 tomorrow. Hopefully both TF2 and Braid will become available next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom