• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
MNC said:
Fuck my wallet. 24 dollar for AvP which is 18 euros is a steal. But I don't have a viable PC yet to play it on. I hate these deals :lol I want more money :(

If you don't have a PC capable of running AVP right now i suggest you wait until you do before buying the game, unless you are getting a new PC sometime soon.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Gexecuter said:
If you don't have a PC capable of running AVP right now i suggest you wait until you do before buying the game, unless you are getting a new PC sometime soon.
I got AvP with my graphics card. I was thinking about eBaying it to help cover some of the costs.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gexecuter said:
Yeah there will definitely be better deals.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have posted this before, but AvP is worthwhile if you are a huge sucker for both Universes. However, do wait if you don't have a DX11 card because it makes a world of difference.

YES! YES! It looks like Counter-Strike: Source has been moved to the Orange Box engine:

About the Game
Available immediately, Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source, now in beta. The update includes a host of new features and functionality developed in collaboration with Hidden Path Studios.

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.

Click the 'install game' button above to opt in to the beta and get started. If you don't see the button above, we've filled the available slots.

Please submit any bugs or feedback on the Counter-Strike: Source Beta forum

Features new to the beta
144 achievements added
New lifetime player stats and summary screens
New match player stats and summary screens
New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
New cinematic death camera
New domination and revenge system
Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
Incorporated many source engine updates

http://store.steampowered.com/app/260/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
crimsonheadGCN said:
YES! YES! It looks like Counter-Strike: Source has been moved to the Orange Box engine

I was so pumped when I saw that. It's a small install, I'm about to start it up now.

Edit: Nevermind it's 1.6 gb lol.

Here's the news item:

Valve said:
Counter-Strike: Source Update Now in Beta
Press Releases - Valve 11:05

Available immediately, Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source, now in beta.

The update includes a host of new features and functionality developed in collaboration with Hidden Path Studios. These include 144 new achievements, a new domination and revenge system, player stats, and more.

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.

Server admins may download the dedicated server files via the HLDSUpdateTool using "-game cssbeta" in the command line.

The most interesting thing about this is that it is being done by the development studio that was responsible for Defense Grid, which is Hidden Path Studios.

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
YES! YES! It looks like Counter-Strike: Source has been moved to the Orange Box engine:
I expect to see a similar message about HL2 and Episode 1 VERY SOON NOW*. Oh god so excited.

*Valve Time

V_Ben

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Here's the news item:

The most interesting thing about this is that it is being done by the development studio that was responsible for Defense Grid, which is Hidden Path Studios.

hmm. in time for the mac version, i'd say :D

epmode said:
I expect to see a similar message about HL2 and Episode 1 VERY SOON NOW*. Oh god so excited.

*Valve Time
Man, that would be soooo good - I shouldn't need an excuse to run through them again, but achievements however shameful that looks would be the tipping point for me.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
Here's the news item:

I'm just happy that Hidden Path Studios got a job working with Valve, hopefully that will lead them to new and interesting projects.

WOW nice update to CSS, I played it again a few months back and it felt aged but I still love the game, looks like this update raised my interest for the game again a fair bit.

Achievements, hm, that is welcome.

Anyone able to say if the lighting looks better now? or if any other source OB changes help the game look different? Can I use motion blur with CSS now?

*edit* seen the screenshots, yeah looks slightly enhanced, cool beans.

Ogs said:
So, 1 of the achievements is "Rickrolled", in which you beat an enemy team within 30 seconds after the round starts (5 enemies minimum) :lol
I hope they have some sort of "BarbeQueQ" achievement like TF2 pyro has :lol

Hm I clicked the link url and signed in so I could register the beta to my account but it's not working for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It doesn't look like they did anything to update the map texture wise:

hl2_2010-05-11_15-33-05-52.jpg

How do I know if I am getting the beta on my steam? even going back to the webpage and clicking "play now" it doesn't load anything apart from make steam pop up, my regular CSS on the list says it's 1050mb, do I need to install that first?

MoFuzz

So, what are the "many Source engine updates??

Looks like most of the changes are additional stat-tracking features, including achievements.

This must be the first time I've seen a patch go into public beta...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well that was unexpected.
MoFuzz said:
So, what are the "many Source engine updates??

Looks like most of the changes are additional stat-tracking features, including achievements.

This must be the first time I've seen a patch go into public beta...
They did the same for DoD Source, and they've had other patches you could opto into.

Domination system with the kind of people who play CS :lol

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Moobabe said:
Can you post some more shots of some achievements please? :D

Yes please Stallion Free, i don't even play CS: Source but i'm interested in seeing what kind of achievements thye have put in the game :D

Joe Molotov

Did anyone else buy AvP from Xfire? I ordered it and they sent me a download link, but there's no CD-Key. In the email it says:

Your activation code will be sent to you once your order has been cleared.

Well, when's that going to be? I ordered it this morning through Paypal, and it still hasn't "cleared" evidently. Paypal shows that the payment has been completed though.

Scipius

I've been expecting this ever since they moved DoD: Source to Steamworks two years ago. New life for a ten year old game. I hope this will be followed by a similar announcement for HL2 and Ep1 soon (finally!).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Adding the domination stuff like in TF2 just seems kinda cheesy in CS:S. I think people mainly just wanted it to be updated it to the Orange box engine without all the achievements and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom