• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgnhh

Neo Member
They better release L4D1 and L4D2 the same week. I can see them doing TF2 plus 3rd party games next week, then the week after L4D1 plus 3rd party games, then L4D2 the week after that. Staggered releases like this are some crap, especially considering Portal and TF2 was released as one package. I guess they aren't going to have the Orange Box for sale immediately?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zombieshavebrains said:
No. And 3 games available at launch is pretty disappointing. Not the splash i was hoping from Valve.

The games have to actually exist for Mac before they can go up on Steam.

sgnhh said:
They better release L4D1 and L4D2 the same week. I can see them doing TF2 plus 3rd party games next week, then the week after L4D1 plus 3rd party games, then L4D2 the week after that. Staggered releases like this are some crap, especially considering Portal and TF2 was released as one package. I guess they aren't going to have the Orange Box for sale immediately?
You don't buy Mac versions of Valve's games. You buy Valve's games, and they're playable where they're playable. That's the whole point, and every press release about the Mac version has stressed the idea.

So if you're a Mac user, you buy the Orange Box now, and you get the parts of the set as they come out for the Mac.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
MNC said:
So, just like that, about every valve game has gotten a 5 mb update. PC user here. Preparing for steam play?
Yeah, TF2 updated for me for some reason. Guess that's the reason.

Volcynika

19Kilo said:
Looks like the weekend deal is Torchlight 50% off = $9.99

Quantz is on sale too, but I'm not sure if it's the weekend deal. Might just be part of the Mac launch. And it's Wednesday! Weekends don't start this early, Valve :|

Psy-Phi

Civ IV says it has Steam+Play, but I don't see it in my list. Yet it's available for Purchase on the Mac Store.

I'm going to assume for now that it just isn't up on the servers yet and will be later. But hopefully I won't have to buy it again (since it claims Steam+Play). Perfect game for mac with it's bizarre mouse acceleration (for a primary windows & linux user). Turn Based games don't require accuracy.

Thanks for the reaction guys, already have the Orange Box on 360, but now also have Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 on Steam. Probably will buy the episodes someday.

PC user . . . you get to benefit from the Mac introduction . . . buy this Indie Pack or Baby Jesus will cry. Worth it for Osmos and Machinarium alone.

Steam Play Indie Pack Items included:

And Yet It Moves
[Buy it once. Play it on Mac or PC.] Released Apr 2, 2009
$9.99

Galcon Fusion
[Buy it once. Play it on Mac or PC.] Released Feb 11, 2010
$9.99

Machinarium
[Buy it once. Play it on Mac or PC.] Released Oct 16, 2009
$19.99

Osmos
[Buy it once. Play it on Mac or PC.] Released Aug 18, 2009
$9.99

World of Goo
[Buy it once. Play it on Mac or PC.] Released Oct 13, 2008
$19.99

Individual price:$69.95
Package price:$19.99
Cost to you:$19.99
You save: $49.96

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4326/

Remy

At the rate we're going, Kellogg's stock is going to be in the toilet soon. Those poor unpurchased boxes of cereal!

Psy-Phi

poweld said:
I wish Valve was a publicly owned company right now so that I could own their stock. This is going to be big.
They're going to be like Google when they first went public. And I'll be right there to buy a small number of their stock.

Psy-Phi

Ramenman said:
So, if I buy THIS : http://store.steampowered.com/sub/4327/

Considering I already own the Devil's Playhouse, will I get like a second copy of the Devil's Playhouse available as gift for someone ?

No. It seems only Valve games may give you gifts (I am using that operative in order to be non-definitive). Like for example when The Orange Box came out, you would get any games you previously owned available as gifts to give. But every non-valve game that's come out in bundles, you do not get gifts. It usually says it somewhere in the pack descriptions when you add it to the cart and read the print before clicking purchase there.

Psy-Phi said:
No. It seems only Valve games may give you gifts (I am using that operative in order to be non-definitive). Like for example when The Orange Box came out, you would get any games you previously owned available as gifts to give. But every non-valve game that's come out in bundles, you do not get gifts. It usually says it somewhere in the pack descriptions when you add it to the cart and read the print before clicking purchase there.
It's not just Valve games, but it's still only a very few specific titles.

Trouble

Banned
morningbus said:
Yeah, they really should have waited a few months before releasing the Mac version of Steam. Then they could have launched with a few more games.

Wait...

Exactly, some people will never be happy. I think the day 1 selection is pretty decent. Torchlight is 1/2 off and portal is free. We know there's lots more to come, too.

poweld said:
I wish Valve was a publicly owned company right now so that I could own their stock. This is going to be big.

NO NO NO NO NO! That would be horrible! The only reason Valve is able to do many of the things they do (take a lot of time for the great games for instance) is because they are not publicly owned. I hope they stay private forever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
LovingSteam said:
NO NO NO NO NO! That would be horrible! The only reason Valve is able to do many of the things they do (take a lot of time for the great games for instance) is because they are not publicly owned. I hope they stay private forever.
I hope Gabe lives forever.

eznark

Banned
Fucking hell. I like Steam but what a bunch of bullshit.

I found Just Cause 2 at Game Stop today. Disc. Brand new. $12.50.

Come home to try and play it. "Steam servers are too busy to handle your request."

The Steam servers are too busy to let me play my game....that is on a FUCKING DISC?!?!!?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
eznark said:
Fucking hell. I like Steam but what a bunch of bullshit.

I found Just Cause 2 at Game Stop today. Disc. Brand new. $12.50.

Come home to try and play it. "Steam servers are too busy to handle your request."

The Steam servers are too busy to let me play my game....that is on a FUCKING DISC?!?!!?
What the fuck?! Buy me a copy, I'll pay you back! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom