• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
eznark said:
Fucking hell. I like Steam but what a bunch of bullshit.

I found Just Cause 2 at Game Stop today. Disc. Brand new. $12.50.

Come home to try and play it. "Steam servers are too busy to handle your request."

The Steam servers are too busy to let me play my game....that is on a FUCKING DISC?!?!!?

Yea, pretty bad timing on your part, they just released the Mac/Linux clients, and also are giving away Portal... it'll be a little bumpy on any server with those three things.

Psy-Phi

Just Cause 2 for 12.50?! Holy hell, time to go to Gamestop.

Anyway, is the Steam Cloud working for anyone else? All of my games that have it don't seem to be pulling data from the Cloud. Portal, Torchlight and Braid?

KtSlime

DMPrince said:
i hope these deals don't cater to mac users. thank god MW2 doesn't have mac support :lol.

That's not a very nice thing to say, why *shouldn't* it have Mac support?

Give me one _good_ reason.

Wow, there are alot more games available to Macs then posted earlier today. I did not realize that Steam play allows you to play the a game when purchased once on both Mac and PC, that is awesome.

eznark

Banned
Minsc said:
Yea, pretty bad timing on your part, they just released the Mac/Linux clients, and also are giving away Portal... it'll be a little bumpy on any server with those three things.
Yes, clearly I should have known the Steam servers would affect me playing a disc.

Just Cause 2 for 12.50?! Holy hell, time to go to Gamestop.
It just had a hand written 75% off sticker on it, so I doubt it's a franchise wide thing.

chixdiggit

So is there a way to turn off the Mac stuff? Great for Mac owners that they are finally getting Civ 4 but do us PC owners need to know about it? The new releases is filled with old releases.

Blizzard

Banned
speculawyer said:
How is it possible for Steam to affect single player disc play? It can't. Something is wrong here.
It can, because you presumably have to activate online to install your game, or possibly contact the server even to launch it unless you're in offline mode. I could be wrong about the latter though.

At any rate, if Steam servers are crazy busy, I think sometimes games won't launch (mainly tf2/l4d1/l4d2 maybe?) at least in online mode.

A few days ago l4d2 went down for a TON of people, and I think that might have been because their activation server couldn't handle all the people updating? I'm again not sure though.

eznark

Banned
speculawyer said:
How is it possible for Steam to affect single player disc play? It can't. Something is wrong here.
I have no idea, but it uses Steam to do the install. To that point that right now it is downloading an update and it's taking 4 hours. That's some serious bullshit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
speculawyer said:
Because you use the key to register it to Steam before install, if the Steam servers are too busy they can't authenticate the product key and the game won't install. Simple as that.

thewesker said:
Portal is FREE for everyone until May 26th: http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
This is cool. I didn't have any Valve games yet, oddly enough. I downloaded it, but I had Portal: First Slice downloaded and now it's not even on my list. I want to get rid of it, though... :lol

Dimmuxx said:
This is even cooler.

Also, even though I despise Macs, I'm glad Quantz is on sale again. Needs some more attention. I hope Osmos goes on sale on its own.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
eznark said:
I have no idea, but it uses Steam to do the install. To that point that right now it is downloading an update and it's taking 4 hours. That's some serious bullshit.

Were you able to install the game from the disc? From my experience buying a retail Orange Box, you have to force it to do so.

You can try turning off automatic updates for the game (right click, properties, turn off auto updates) and that should probably let you start playing without that patch. You could also try and change your download server to another location and hope it isn't getting hammered as hard as the one you're currently using.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
crimsonheadGCN said:
Supreme Commander 2, which is a Steamworks title, had a mark down to $19.99 at Gamestop. Tempted to buy it.
Do it. It wasn't the sequel to SupCom that everyone was expecting but it's still good. Doesn't need a pimp'd out rig to run either.

eznark

Banned
morningbus said:
Were you able to install the game from the disc? From my experience buying a retail Orange Box, you have to force it to do so.

You can try turning off automatic updates for the game (right click, properties, turn off auto updates) and that should probably let you start playing without that patch. You could also try and change your download server to another location and hope it isn't getting hammered as hard as the one you're currently using.

I don't think so. It looks like it is downloading 4 gigs worth of data. What a stupid fucking system for disc based games.

Minsc

Gold Member
eznark said:
I don't think so. It looks like it is downloading 4 gigs worth of data. What a stupid fucking system for disc based games.

I'm not sure the rhyme or reason it uses to decide whether to install from the disc or not. One of the games I bought did actually read the data off the disc, forgot which one, but my retail copy of Dawn of War 2 didn't even care I had a DVD with all the info, it downloaded the 5+ gigs from Steam.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
eznark said:

Yeah, it tried auto-downloading from Steam when I bought the Orange Box, too. There should be a way to force it to install from the CD. I know it is a kind of a hassle, but try disconnecting yourself from the internet and running the CD.

What happens when you first run the Just Cause disc? What message does it pop up?

morningbus said:
Yeah, it tried auto-downloading from Steam when I bought the Orange Box, too. There should be a way to force it to install from the CD. I know it is a kind of a hassle, but try disconnecting yourself from the internet and running the CD.

What happens when you first run the Just Cause disc? What message does it pop up?

He does not need to disconnect from the internet. Just follow the steps here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Joe Molotov

Sometimes the installation for retail Steam games craps out for whatever reason, and it tries to download the rest. That happened for me with Metro 2033, but I just deleted the files and then reinstalled it and it worked fine.

biocat

Who is jumping on the Telltale pack?

I'm really tempted, although I still have episode one of Monkey Island unfinished on my HDD back when it was free from Talk Like a Pirate Day. I guess that isn't a good sign for me finishing the rest of the episodes, is it?

biocat said:

I'm really tempted, although I still have episode one of Monkey Island unfinished on my HDD back when it was free from Talk Like a Pirate Day. I guess that isn't a good sign for me finishing the rest of the episodes, is it?
I got it even though I ended up buying Sam & Max on PS3 a few weeks ago. It runs sorta janky on there and I would rather just play it on PC at the end of the day, and the fact that I have to use my iMac while my PC is out gave me a reason to get the bundle to play Tales.

Salacious Crumb

biocat said:

I bought it, I was so close to buying the devils playhouse last week as well. So happy I waited.

vocab

biocat said:

Well episode 1 was great, and it keeps getting better. It's up to you. Maybe adventure games aren't your thing.

Blizzard

Banned
eznark said:
:lol

Thanks, tried this method and it still would not install. "Steam servers are too busy" to let me install a game from a disc. It was at least attempting to install from the disc though!
You might try disconnecting from the network or going offline first, but it does kinda make sense that it won't let you install, since it requires online activation, and Steam's activation servers unfortunately must not be handling the load right now.

Volcynika

MrMister said:
Okay, anyone else getting a suspicious 102 MB TF2 Update?

PLEASE BE ENGINEER UPDATE

Suspicious? No

Linux Dedicated Server
Fixed srcds_run to work properly with the Counter-Strike: Source beta dedicated server when autoupdating.

Engine
Fixed the startmovie command not using the codec dialog.

Team Fortress 2
Fixed dropped weapons and ammo kits not being affected by explosions.
Adding missing "+lookup" and "+lookdown" keybind options.
Added SetCTFCaptureBonusTime tf_gamerules input to allow map authors to set the length of crit bonus time (in seconds) for CTF captures.

biocat

vocab said:
Well episode 1 was great, and it keeps getting better. It's up to you. Maybe adventure games aren't your thing.

I loved the first Gabriel Knight, Loom, Full Throttle, and Dig, but yeah, maybe I've grown out of them. :/

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
biocat said:
I loved the first Gabriel Knight, Loom, Full Throttle, and Dig, but yeah, maybe I've grown out of them. :/
I just finished playing Sam & Max 301. I haven't touched any of the previous seasons but the game was a pretty good length for an episode. I finished it in about 3 hours and it was chock full of witty dialogue and clever puzzles. I wouldn't say you outgrew them. You probably just need some motivation to just sit down and finish it in one sitting. It won't take too long to beat anyway.

Joe Molotov

Salacious Crumb said:
I bought it, I was so close to buying the devils playhouse last week as well. So happy I waited.

But now you can't get the TF2 items. SO. WORTH. IT.

Now that Season 3 is being released, I'm finally getting around to playing Season 2. Up to 203 so far. It's pretty good so far, some of the bigger gags are kinda meh, but then there's funny little throw-away bits that make up for it.

Sam: "Where did you file our last case?"

Max: "Under W for 'Waste of our time COMMA a freaking huge'."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Javaman said:
Check in tools. The demo goes there for some reason.

The game is pretty fun but buggy. It's an interesting mesh tower defense with 1st person shooting and rts for planting defensive spots. Also has co-op for up to 8 players which scales up the enemies. It could have used a couple more months of polish but the devs are apparently still working on it.
I just got done playing the demo. It reminded me of a cross between Toy Commander and Uprising. It would be an instant purchase for me if it was a little more stable. Part of the problem could be my card's W7-64 bit Open GL drivers.

benita

Banned
eznark said:

But didn't the Civ 5 thread teach you that retail games requiring Steam activation can only be a good thing as it promotes healthy competition amongst online distribution competitors with zero inconvenience to consumers??

Didn't it?

epmode

benita said:
But didn't the Civ 5 thread teach you that retail games requiring Steam activation can only be a good thing as it promotes healthy competition amongst online distribution competitors with zero inconvenience to consumers??
No one said that. Ever.

Me said:
Hey guys I was just wondering how much the 4-pack cost at the US Steam store (Aussie here). And is there anyone reliable from the US who might consider sharing a 4-pack (already have 3 aussies)?

Reposted from the L4D2 official thread. :D

EDIT: And we'll get the non-censored version if its gifted from the US of A right?

Javaman

SapientWolf said:
I just got done playing the demo. It reminded me of a cross between Toy Commander and Uprising. It would be an instant purchase for me if it was a little more stable. Part of the problem could be my card's W7-64 bit Open GL drivers.

That's unfortunate because the game is really growing on me. I don't have a single steam friend who has it. :lol It's a little tricky at first figuring out the paths that the enemies will take, but once you do it's a lot easier to plan a defense. Instead of trying to defend the entire map, I start out with a couple of machine gun nests next to the building you have to protect then add cannons and a resupply to fall back on for ammo and health. After upgrading those a bit I then start expanding out and away from the base to give me some more wiggle room. Most of the weapons you can buy are pointless and I've found myself focusing mostly on the MG and heavy MG. The latter you have to crouch and set it up on the ground similar to Day of Defeat. Once fired up though it lays down some serious firepower. I hadn't found much use for the extra defenses like mines and tripwires, but I'm sure they come in handy at higher difficulty levels. I like the variety in game play. Once the tanks and walker start coming you can either take potshots at them from a distance with grenades or the rocket launcher or you can focus on repairing/upgrading your cannon turrets. Iron Grip has a lot of promise, and despite the lack of polish I've been really been enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom