• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
benita said:
But didn't the Civ 5 thread teach you that retail games requiring Steam activation can only be a good thing as it promotes healthy competition amongst online distribution competitors with zero inconvenience to consumers??

Didn't it?
Either you didn't read the thread or you're being reverse-sarcastic.

I can't tell which. U:

confused

Banned
I'm aware of that. What I'm asking is what happens if i enter a serial to a game I already own on steam?

Do I get a second copy in my game list ? Does Steam tell me it won't accept it or do I get a gift copy? Anybody know?

epmode

confused said:
I'm aware of that. What I'm asking is what happens if i enter a serial to a game I already own on steam?

Do I get a second copy in my game list ? Does Steam tell me it won't accept it or do I get a gift copy? Anybody know?
If the game has a serial key that Steam would normally accept, Steam MIGHT allow you to gift it, but I seriously doubt it. You won't get a second copy in your games list.

Twig

Banned
confused said:

It will undoubtedly tell you you already have the game and can't enter a second key.

why would you do this anyway

Joe Molotov

confused said:

It'll just say that you already have it, and it won't do anything.

I just noticed that since the mac update/release/the other day all my connected shortcuts in steam are gone, it's like steam reset itself and returned to default for everything even the game's list, I had it looking classic with text, last played and categorised but now it's all reset :(

Not much to edit but still need to link my gfwl titles back in to my games list again.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Had Portal on 360, but just got it for PC since it's free. :D Can't wait to replay it with k+m, it's surely the superior way to do so.
If you can play it at 60fps it's great, I played it first time around on the PC, seeing it at 30fps on my cousins 360 was just wrong especially that it's not exactly pushing polys.

NIN90

Any EU citizen wanna gift me The Club? I'll gift you a game worth the same amount of money in return.

It's 9.99€

Anyone?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Javaman said:
That's unfortunate because the game is really growing on me. I don't have a single steam friend who has it. :lol It's a little tricky at first figuring out the paths that the enemies will take, but once you do it's a lot easier to plan a defense. Instead of trying to defend the entire map, I start out with a couple of machine gun nests next to the building you have to protect then add cannons and a resupply to fall back on for ammo and health. After upgrading those a bit I then start expanding out and away from the base to give me some more wiggle room. Most of the weapons you can buy are pointless and I've found myself focusing mostly on the MG and heavy MG. The latter you have to crouch and set it up on the ground similar to Day of Defeat. Once fired up though it lays down some serious firepower. I hadn't found much use for the extra defenses like mines and tripwires, but I'm sure they come in handy at higher difficulty levels. I like the variety in game play. Once the tanks and walker start coming you can either take potshots at them from a distance with grenades or the rocket launcher or you can focus on repairing/upgrading your cannon turrets. Iron Grip has a lot of promise, and despite the lack of polish I've been really been enjoying it.
I'm probably gonna buy it anyway. I checked the boards and there was only one person with a similar issue, and he fixed it with compatibility mode. Plus I think it's on sale. Iron Grip is up there with Hamerfight as the most surprisingly good Steam indie game.

stupei

I'm probably going to finally cave and pick up Football Manager 2010 now that I can play it more easily on my Macbook Pro during lunch hour breaks at work or on the commute. Never felt like there was enough time to be worth switching over to Bootcamp before, so this is exciting. (Would be even better with Steam Cloud support, but guess there's always next year.)

But just in case, figured I'd ask: this series ever go up on sale or should I just go ahead and grab it?

I hope we get a weekend sale. The Torchlight sale is great . . . especially for Mac owners. But Torchlight has been on sale a zillion times already.

Edit: WTF? They gave out a AAA game for free and I'm whining about getting a sale. :lol

Volcynika

stupei said:
I'm probably going to finally cave and pick up Football Manager 2010 now that I can play it more easily on my Macbook Pro during lunch hour breaks at work or on the commute. Never felt like there was enough time to be worth switching over to Bootcamp before, so this is exciting. (Would be even better with Steam Cloud support, but guess there's always next year.)

But just in case, figured I'd ask: this series ever go up on sale or should I just go ahead and grab it?

I've seen the game on sale before. They had a rather huge update a while back and put it on sale for that week.

Ledsen

LovingSteam said:
Yes. Do we know how long? No. However, if you want to buy it don't wait.

How do you know that? It doesn't say anything about it being a limited time only in the store, and it's not included in the "specials" tab.

Just had my first encounter with Crysis DRM running out. Jumped onto the EA site, used the Live Chat support tool they had going, gave the guy my CD key, 10 seconds later, bam, good to go again.

Im.... surprised it was that easy ?

NIN90

speculawyer said:
They are protecting you from yourself.

The Club? Really?

Bulletstorm made me pumped for The Club. :lol
I know it's not too well regarded around here it but I liked what I played of it on the 360.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
NIN90 said:
The PC version? You probably shouldn't waste your money. I bought it for $5, but I could never get it to log me into my Live account, which means it never let me save my game.

Which fucking sucks.

Javaman

Orellio said:
It's half-way down? Dunno what you're talking about d00d. 15,080 current, 15,310 peak.

I find it strange that it is so close to peak. The community must still be growing considering there hadn't been a major draw for the game lately. (new update) The engineer update will probably jack that peak way up.

Ogs said:
Just had my first encounter with Crysis DRM running out. Jumped onto the EA site, used the Live Chat support tool they had going, gave the guy my CD key, 10 seconds later, bam, good to go again.

Im.... surprised it was that easy ?

Does it consume instances if you uninstall and reinstall on the same computer?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
biocat said:
Who is jumping on the Telltale pack?

I'm really tempted, although I still have episode one of Monkey Island unfinished on my HDD back when it was free from Talk Like a Pirate Day. I guess that isn't a good sign for me finishing the rest of the episodes, is it?

Wow, completely forgot that I downloaded that :lol Thanks for the reminder.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
Does it consume instances if you uninstall and reinstall on the same computer?

It did for me :(

They kept telling me that in the future I should use the activation removal tool, but that only works on Warhead. They gave me one more activation, but I had to wait like half an hour to get someone to speak to in their IM help thing.

Schmattakopf said:
I downloaded it, but I had Portal: First Slice downloaded and now it's not even on my list. I want to get rid of it, though... :lol
I still can't find Portal: First Slice. But now I can't find Portal. Where does Steam store its files? I need to find the save location.

Edgeward

Schmattakopf said:
I still can't find Portal: First Slice. But now I can't find Portal. Where does Steam store its files? I need to find the save location.

Oh God, I wish I remembered. It was a goddamn pain in the ass looking for the exe file so I can run it under compatability mode to make it work under 64-bit. They hide it so well for seemingly no good reason.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Schmattakopf said:
Might be app 400 in the userdata (inside Steam) folder.

Edgeward said:
Oh God, I wish I remembered. It was a goddamn pain in the ass looking for the exe file so I can run it under compatability mode to make it work under 64-bit. They hide it so well for seemingly no good reason.
I found it. They separate Valve games from other games (instead of Steam > steamapps > common, it's Steam > steamapps > %accountname%), and I hadn't run the game yet so it hadn't generated the save location. :lol

Ledsen said:
How do you know that? It doesn't say anything about it being a limited time only in the store, and it's not included in the "specials" tab.
Because it shows the original and current price therefore it's on sale. A sale is limited in duration.

Edit: hmm you may be right. When I first saw the packages they showed a price difference.
It's now just one price. However I still say it's a limited time since some of the games individually are more than the package.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It did for me :(

They kept telling me that in the future I should use the activation removal tool, but that only works on Warhead. They gave me one more activation, but I had to wait like half an hour to get someone to speak to in their IM help thing.
Yeah, it's awful that it only works on Warhead. And I'm sad to hear that you only got one new activation. At least it's still possible to get them (for Steam I assume?) without pirating.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Yeah, it's awful that it only works on Warhead. And I'm sad to hear that you only got one new activation. At least it's still possible to get them (for Steam I assume?) without pirating.

Yeah, it's a Steam copy. I don't understand why they haven't patched it out of all versions of the game yet though. Set activation limits are retarded.

panda21

oh god i only just noticed that the telltale pack is cheaper than sam and max on its own. its almost more expensive not to buy it

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NIN90 said:
Bulletstorm made me pumped for The Club. :lol
I know it's not too well regarded around here it but I liked what I played of it on the 360.
The Club would have made a better mod than a game, to be honest. Everything about the game is great except for the shooting. Kind of a deal breaker for a shooter.

panda21 said:
oh god i only just noticed that the telltale pack is cheaper than sam and max on its own. its almost more expensive not to buy it
Yeah, that indie game pack with World of Goo in it is also as expensive as World of Goo itself. You get that a lot on Steam.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Reposted from the L4D2 official thread. :D

EDIT: And we'll get the non-censored version if its gifted from the US of A right?

I might be interested in buying for you guys. I have no idea though if you would get the uncensored version though. I doubt it, but maybe someone else knows that answer.

Edit: Steam 4 pack US version cost $90.00.

Lkr

a friend of mine needs help. he has downloaded portal from yesterday's free promotion and wants to run a mod now. however, source sdk is not listed in his tools. does valve not include it with freebies?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Annihilator said:
I might be interested in buying for you guys. I have no idea though if you would get the uncensored version though. I doubt it, but maybe someone else knows that answer.

You definitely get the uncensored version. When l4d2 was on sale a while a go a lot of aussies got the american version simply for that reason.

Annihilator said:

Sweet, I'll send you a PM once i get the cash rounded up:D

Lkr said:
a friend of mine needs help. he has downloaded portal from yesterday's free promotion and wants to run a mod now. however, source sdk is not listed in his tools. does valve not include it with freebies?
It's on this list but I don't see it in my tools. It let me download Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom