• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Volcynika said:
Not usually. Valve puts up weekend deals sometimes on Thursdays, sometimes on Fridays.

I wouldn't be surprised if free Portal takes the place of a weekend deal. Can't get a much better deal than free. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac stuff disrupts the "normal" deal cycle for a while.

Spwn

Would be great to see some indie games on sale this weekend. Been waiting for a Defcon sale for... a couple of years now! Would be nice to have Shatter for a ridiculously low price too. Yes, there is the indie-pack, but I'm only interested in Machinarium from the pack. :(

Volcynika

I wonder how they'll start doing weekend deals now. Will the games have to be available on Mac to be on sale? Will Valve just put on sale what they can get publishers to agree to, regardless if it's on both platforms? Will they put on two deals to at least one deal for each platform?

These questions and more to be answered at our next news broadcast.

krzy123

Volcynika said:
I wonder how they'll start doing weekend deals now. Will the games have to be available on Mac to be on sale? Will Valve just put on sale what they can get publishers to agree to, regardless if it's on both platforms? Will they put on two deals to at least one deal for each platform?

These questions and more to be answered at our next news broadcast.

Well if steamplay was a requirement for steam sales, that would suck, but I guess it would help me save money and help me start completing my steam backlog :).

Stitch

Gold Member
torchlight really seems to be the weekend deal :(

the deals lately where either things that were already on sale several times or regionlocked stuff...

206j2gx.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Spwn said:
Would be great to see some indie games on sale this weekend. Been waiting for a Defcon sale for... a couple of years now! Would be nice to have Shatter for a ridiculously low price too. Yes, there is the indie-pack, but I'm only interested in Machinarium from the pack. :(
Defcon was originally a $30 game and Shatter is worth $10 for the soundtrack alone.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So guys, I've got an issue with Steam. I have the mac version, got portal, torchlight then went for Civ4. And this happened. The thing is, I can't neither download nor remove the Civ4 duplicates that say "not available". Any solution?

Imagen4.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
MmmSkyscraper said:
I love that the DLC is £19.99 :lol

Edit: didn't realise the DLC hadn't been released yet, oops

it's a fully realized expansion pack of the old (and correct) school. the kind that is done a disservice by including in the steam dlc tab.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
epmode said:
Warlords and Colonization but no Beyond the Sword or vanilla? Weird.

I'm in the process of deleting and redownloading everything in hopes something gets fixed.

I'm just so fucking angry I paid 40 smackers for this buggy mess of shit made by the cheap hacks at aspyr. GODDAMN I AM ANGRY.

I couldda wasted the money on one of these bioenergetic hologram cons and I'd at least have something to show up.

I can't seem to find the Call of Duty: Black Ops thread, but since the game is most likely a Steamworks title then this thread should suffice. Treyarch confirmed that there will be Dedicated Servers for the game and it pretty much sounds like they are going to do what EA & DICE did with the servers in BC2.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
I can't seem to find the Call of Duty: Black Ops thread, but since the game is most likely a Steamworks title then this thread should suffice. Treyarch confirmed that there will be Dedicated Servers for the game and it pretty much sounds like they are going to do what EA & DICE did with the servers in BC2.

I guess that means that it was IW and not Activision that decided not to put dedicated servers in MW2, it just seems weird to add dedicated servers to black ops when MW2 didn't have them.

52club

Gexecuter said:
I guess that means that it was IW and not Activision that decided not to put dedicated servers in MW2, it just seems weird to add dedicated servers to black ops when MW2 didn't have them.

Note to Activision, it is working:lol . I'm only kidding OP, it could have been IW. However, if you reverse field now as Activision isn't that also the way you could make it appear like IW insisted on not having dedicated servers.

With millions on the line of IW "employees", and billions on the line for Activision. I'm thinking both realized people are going to buy it pretty much no matter what we do, time to "exploit" that position of power.

Bitmap Frogs said:
So guys, I've got an issue with Steam. I have the mac version, got portal, torchlight then went for Civ4. And this happened. The thing is, I can't neither download nor remove the Civ4 duplicates that say "not available". Any solution?

Just chill. They'll probably fix it eventually. Hey, you got 2 games! What are you whining about? :D

Twig

Banned
Gexecuter said:
or they decided it wasn't worth the bad press

(but that would be weird since it still sold gangbusters, and the second time around it wouldn't receive as much bad press)

(i also thought we all assumed it was iw from the beginning...)

MoFuzz

Gexecuter said:
Treyarch does what IW don't.

Spwn said:
Yeah, me too. Defcon never seems to go on sale.

And I have everything in that Indie pack except Machinarium.

If you don't have the other stuff in that Indie pack, it is well worth it. World of Goo is a top-rated game. Osmos is a real clever puzzle game.

I'm realizing that the sales are becoming pointless to me since I've already bought most of the games on Steam I am interested in. :lol Those sales of 'complete' packs really build up your library. For $50, it is just hard to say no to an entire publisher's catalog. That is LESS than the cost of one full-priced console for an entire library. So when they were on sale, I bought the Popcap, Eidos, THQ, and Rockstar catalogs. And I bought the Telltale catalog for my daughter's account.

Javaman

speculawyer said:

If you don't have the other stuff in that Indie pack, it is well worth it. World of Goo is a top-rated game. Osmos is a real clever puzzle game.

I'm realizing that the sales are becoming pointless to me since I've already bought most of the games on Steam I am interested in. :lol Those sales of 'complete' packs really build up your library. For $50, it is just hard to say no to an entire publisher's catalog. That is LESS than the cost of one full-priced console for an entire library. So when they were on sale, I bought the Popcap, Eidos, THQ, and Rockstar catalogs. And I bought the Telltale catalog for my daughter's account.

My only complaint as a heavy steam buyer is that they hadn't worked worked out a good way to deal with multiple copies. I ended up passing on the THQ and Rockstar packs because I already owned 1/2 the games from previous sales. Had they dropped the price slightly due to previous owned games in the pack (kudos to S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP for discounting if you own the first game!) or at least let someone gift the extra copies those would have been no-brainer buys for me as well. I'm afraid to buy the Telltale catalog for the same reason since the everything pack keeps changing.

Firebrand

Has anyone got an extra set of Civilization IV entries on their games list? The Mac versions I presume since they're "not available on my platform". Can't see any way to hide them other than to collapse the category.

Javaman

Firebrand said:
Has anyone got an extra set of Civilization IV entries on their games list? The Mac versions I presume since they're "not available on my platform". Can't see any way to hide them other than to collapse the category.

Someone mentioned it a couple of posts ago. :lol Apparently it's affecting many people.

vocab

Firebrand said:

Everyone has the same problem. Put away the OCD, and calm down.

Costanza said:
Is Tropico 3 worth $7.50? Looks cool
There is a demo you could try.

I just got done playing some of the demo and it seems like a really good city builder with a mix of politics. For $7.50 it is well worth it.

Danneee

Costanza said:

It was worth €15 when I bought it and although I haven't played it more than maybe 1.5 hours, by god someday I will sink my teeth into Tropico 3 and play the crap out of it because those were some glorious 90 minutes!

Truespeed

speculawyer said:

I picked up Defcon for $4.95 at D2D some time ago.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Btw i can now see all the civilization games on the steam store without problems, i guess they are region free now for some reason, cool.

Zzoram

Costanza said:

I bought it for $20 and put in around 45 hours. I only stopped because I have so many other games to play. It's really fun if you like city/economy management at all.

Random question (game doesn't seem to have an official thread) - do you get strong in Zombie Driver? I've been thinking about buying it and I was watching the giantbomb quicklook again last night and I think it looks fun but what I'm really in the mood for is that game, but after 5 hours or so I've upgraded my car so much that I literally drive from point A to B destroying all the zombies and buildings in my way

Does the game do something like that or does your strenght level off at some point?

Also, does a 360 controller work / work well with it?

Zzoram

Gexecuter said:
Btw i can now see all the civilization games on the steam store without problems, i guess they are region free now for soem reason, cool.

I guess 2K signed some new distribution deals.

Oreoleo

HamPster PamPster said:
Random question (game doesn't seem to have an official thread) - do you get strong in Zombie Driver? I've been thinking about buying it and I was watching the giantbomb quicklook again last night and I think it looks fun but what I'm really in the mood for is that game, but after 5 hours or so I've upgraded my car so much that I literally drive from point A to B destroying all the zombies and buildings in my way

Does the game do something like that or does your strenght level off at some point?

Also, does a 360 controller work / work well with it?

Not really. Even with the best car in the game maxed out, you're still quite susceptible to the boomers and tanks (to borrow some lexicon..) if you get bogged down. You can't drive through buildings, and the stuff you CAN drive through doesn't do any damage. 360 controller works perfectly.

GamaFu

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
I don't think it's that big a problem. It seems Steam treats mac version and pc version as different games. You can notice that it only shows duplicates (in fact, two versions) when the filter sets to show all games. Also, for each game, only one entry has the install button. To leave the mac version only, see the Show All Games on the top left? Click the arrow next to the All Games, and click MAC Games. I just tried, I can install the game just fine. You should be able to as well.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone know why steam suspends downloads? For some reason that's what it says for gta episodes. It's sort of said it all night long, switches from that to paused then back to suspended.

16,624.6 MB / 16,624.7 MB .. FUCCCKK!

I've tried different download locations but it stays the same.

ne1

NIN90 said:
Any EU citizen wanna gift me The Club? I'll gift you a game worth the same amount of money in return.

It's 9.99€

Anyone?

I would have been happy to help you out but it shows up as €19.99 for me?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
BTS is working for me now. Except i have two instances of it. The one that i originally had was at 20 hours played time and this one starts all that over.

Screen%20shot%202010-05-14%20at%206.18.52%20PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom