• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
$7.50 is probably a pretty good price for Tropico 3. I posted some screenshots a while back, and I liked what I played, aside from frustrations trying to figure out how to make workers actually follow roads and work on the buildings I ask them to -- at least, I think that was my biggest problem.

And yes, :lol :lol at $7.50 main game and $20 DLC. I think I will have to pass.

So how does Tropico 3 compare to Dawn of Discovery?

I kinda had my eye on Dawn of Discovery for an economy / city builder type game. But the darn thing never seems to drop below $30 and Tropico looks to be much of the same type of game. Does anyone who's played both have a recommendation? Or a reason why someone might favor one over the other?

Blizzard

Banned
TheFightingFish said:

I kinda had my eye on Dawn of Discovery for an economy / city builder type game. But the darn thing never seems to drop below $30 and Tropico looks to be much of the same type of game. Does anyone who's played both have a recommendation? Or a reason why someone might favor one over the other?
Tropico 3 has a free demo on Steam, so you can get started downloading that while you wait for answers. :p

GamaFu

Banned
GamaFu said:
I don't think it's that big a problem. It seems Steam treats mac version and pc version as different games. You can notice that it only shows duplicates (in fact, two versions) when the filter sets to show all games. Also, for each game, only one entry has the install button. To leave the mac version only, see the Show All Games on the top left? Click the arrow next to the All Games, and click MAC Games. I just tried, I can install the game just fine. You should be able to as well.
As I expected, according to Valve's employee's post in the steam forum, it is indeed the case.
Scroll down to see the post #277 in the thread: "UPDATE: Mac Civ IV now available for previous PC purchases"
BurtonJ said:
One entry is for Windows, one is for Mac.

Weenerz

Banned
Was about to pull the trigger on Tropic 3, when I suddenly realized that I needed to own Dragon Age Origins for the PC instead, damn you steam.

ArjanN

Schmattakopf said:
For the new page.

It's a OK 6/7 year old FPS that never had a huge community to begin with, so I'm going to guess the multiplayer's been dead for years.

I wonder if this means we'll hear someting about Chrome 2 soon.

Stitch

Gold Member
lol they took the Tropico DLC down

Problems with Tropico 3 Absolute Power on Steam
We are aware that for some reason, the Steam version of Tropico 3 Absolute Power does not work properly at the moment. We are looking into the issue and are working on a solution as we speak. What appeared to be a minor problem that could be solved within a few minutes turned out to be more complex than expected.

Joe Molotov

Stitch said:
lol they took the Tropico DLC down

Yeah, the Tropico 3 DLC was borked. Not only did it not work at all, but it screwed up your original Tropico 3 so that the graphics were all corrupted and you couldn't build the right buildings and all kinds of weird stuff.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
evlcookie said:
Does anyone know why steam suspends downloads? For some reason that's what it says for gta episodes. It's sort of said it all night long, switches from that to paused then back to suspended.

16,624.6 MB / 16,624.7 MB .. FUCCCKK!

I've tried different download locations but it stays the same.
Ouch.

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
K.Jack said:
Ouch.

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob

Yea didn't work :lol . Will have to mess around with it later tonight. Seems like it could be because of everyone downloading portal, killing the servers. But going by the stats most are only at half bandwidth and i'm not the only one having a suspended issue with games.

Oreoleo

evlcookie said:
Yea didn't work :lol . Will have to mess around with it later tonight. Seems like it could be because of everyone downloading portal, killing the servers. But going by the stats most are only at half bandwidth and i'm not the only one having a suspended issue with games.

What happens when you try to launch the game? I would think that would force the download to recommence.

epmode

evlcookie said:
Does anyone know why steam suspends downloads?
I know that Steam will suspend all downloads if you launch another Steam game. Alt-tab out of the new game, re-enable the original download and you should be OK.

Besides that, no idea.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
epmode said:
I know that Steam will suspend all downloads if you launch another Steam game. Alt-tab out of the new game, re-enable the original download and you should be OK.
I hate that.

Why do they have it set to pause? Background downloading should be the default.

Can I turn that function off, somehow?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Orellio said:
What happens when you try to launch the game? I would think that would force the download to recommence.

Says it can't be launched at the moment. From memory i've tried about everything i can think of without copying the files and deleting a few and trying to redownload what's missing.

That's what i will be trying tonight.

ArjanN said:
It's a OK 6/7 year old FPS that never had a huge community to begin with, so I'm going to guess the multiplayer's been dead for years.

I wonder if this means we'll hear someting about Chrome 2 soon.
Guess I won't get it. I couldn't find much on it.

Twig

Banned
Random: anyone know where I could get sound clips of SiN? Or how I could extract the sound clips from the data files? It's the Quake II engine, I think, so maybe it's the same method?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Twig said:
Random: anyone know where I could get sound clips of SiN? Or how I could extract the sound clips from the data files? It's the Quake II engine, I think, so maybe it's the same method?

My intrepid googling says you want the program called Pak Explorer.

http://quakestuff.telefragged.com/

You use it to open SiN's .pak files and find the sound file you want. Probably a .wav.

If SiN uses something other than .pak files, I dunno.

edit:

http://mirrored.xentax.com/gfe/index.html

This looks like it'd work too.

vocab

bathala said:
so ah wat happened to that Oblivion Deal?

does Tropico have DRM like Dawn of Discovery

Nah. It would of been the first thing people noted when mention of the sale.

TheFightingFish said:

I haven't played much of either, but I played like 2 hours of DoD, and like 30 mins of Tropico 3, I can say Tropico 3 is a lot funner than DoD. Tropico 3 is like Roller Coaster Tycoon, while DoD is a pure city builder. I like DoD a lot, but the game takes some time to get things rolling. I wish Tages was removed because I would love to buy it some point in time.

Twig

Banned
Servizio said:
My intrepid googling says you want the program called Pak Explorer.

http://quakestuff.telefragged.com/

You use it to open SiN's .pak files and find the sound file you want. Probably a .wav.

If SiN uses something other than .pak files, I dunno.

edit:

http://mirrored.xentax.com/gfe/index.html

This looks like it'd work too.
Hmmm no .pak files and also no .sin or .swl like that second website says! I think maybe that's a different "Sin" as the one I'm thinking of has a capital N (it is spelled that way for some reason). Darn. Only thing that looks like data files that I can find are .asi and .flt. There's also .bik but I know those are movies.

Oh well. Thanks anyway!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Twig said:
Hmmm no .pak files and also no .sin or .swl like that second website says! I think maybe that's a different "Sin" as the one I'm thinking of has a capital N (it is spelled that way for some reason). Darn. Only thing that looks like data files that I can find are .asi and .flt. There's also .bik but I know those are movies.

Oh well. Thanks anyway!

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/4096/SiN+Editing+Tools

How about this?

Danneee

Have Prototype been on sale yet? They really should put it up on sale for like €5-10. It's a great game but kind of old and I don't think it is selling very well at €50...

Oh, and I hope Oblivion goes on sale soon, even though I haven't got the space right now for the game+expansions+shitloads of mods :lol

Kerrinck

Danneee said:
Have Prototype been on sale yet? They really should put it up on sale for like €5-10. It's a great game but kind of old and I don't think it is selling very well at €50...

It is only 29$ here and there has been only one 20% off sale as far as I can tell.

Double D

So can I force a sync with the cloud? I'm trying to play Torchlight on my Mac and would like to pick up where I left off on the PC. It tried the first time I launched it, but failed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Vik_Vaughn said:
So can I force a sync with the cloud? I'm trying to play Torchlight on my Mac and would like to pick up where I left off on the PC. It tried the first time I launched it, but failed.
Save files aren't cross-platform, and are built on completely different compression methods.

Double D

Lyphen said:
Save files aren't cross-platform, and are built on completely different compression methods.

Seriously? Huh, I thought they were pitching this as one of the features of the whole 'Steam Play' thing.

VicViper

Blizzard said:
Steam Tropico 3 has no DRM that I know of, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct, it does have an old school serial number verification which is also needed to register an online account for accessing user-generated missions.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
CryptiK said:
excuse me but I bought Portal I have every right to complain.. :( Shitty Weekend deal
We've had two months of MW2 free weekends (with 10-15% off. Woopie).

No. It isn't a shitty weekend deal.

wsippel

Banned
Visualante said:
New UI doesn't work under Wine on Ubuntu
It works with Crossover Games. Codeweavers hacked around a few issues, but as you probably already know, Alexandre doesn't like hacks in the mainline codebase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom