• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
There's only two bad things that can happen when purchasing keys from an online unofficial retailer like G2Play, for use on Steam or other online service:

a) the key might already be used by somebody else
b) Steam, Blizzard or EA will remove the game from your account and disable the key from their master servers.

I have numerous friends who bought numerous keys from g2play.net specifically, and their games are still enabled and available on Steam. What happened is that, for major releases, the publishers are getting smart. Activision disabled some MW2 keys (but not the CoD4 ones) that went up for sale on g2play.net, and none of those people lost their steam accounts. They just no longer had MW2 on their accounts. I also believe Valve did that for Left4Dead 2 keys.

Most of my friends bought Street Fighter IV from g2play (I didn't, because i wanted it on Steam and SFIV cannot be registered on Steam unless you bought it there) and they still work. In other words, Microsoft never removed them from the database.

I personally bought Diablo II + Expansion Pack from an online retailer for 4 USD (not g2play, as they were asking like, 8 USD) and they're still registered on my Blizzard account.

If the deal is good enough, and you understand the risks, I say there's nothing riskful in buying keys from those sites. Just have in mind that the game you bought can be removed from your account and g2play won't provide you with a refund.

CryptiK

confused said:
That is not true. I paid by direct debit/ IDEAL and they don't need more info than any other webshop.

If I went on vacation to Russia and bought it there it's legit, no? Pc is regionfree, we can buy games where we want.

Besides all codes are taken from retail copies which have been bought / publisher made a sale, it's legit. Publishers might want to make you think different, but it's not true. Would it be illegal for me to sell you my euro copy of a game ?
How long ago? according to EcoGamer they now ask for ID.

confused said:
That is not true. I paid by direct debit/ IDEAL and they don't need more info than any other webshop.

If I went on vacation to Russia and bought it there it's legit, no? Pc is regionfree, we can buy games where we want.

Besides all codes are taken from retail copies which have been bought / publisher made a sale, it's legit. Publishers might want to make you think different, but it's not true. Would it be illegal for me to sell you my euro copy of a game ?

Actually many had their game disabled. Why? Because the game wasn't intended for them. You think its illegal? Sue. You can buy games where you want and Valve can disable any game that wasn't intended for you. Again, don't like it? Sue them.

Ikuu said:
I bought a few keys that had to be activated on Steam and had no issues, not that Steam can do anything if I buy a key that was supposed to be for Poland (for example).

Except they can and have. Its called removing the game from your account and not giving you a discount. If you don't mind the risk then take the chance.

confused

Banned
CryptiK said:
How long ago? according to EcoGamer they now ask for ID.

Abouta week and a half ago, bought Halflife 1 platinum collection steam code for 5 euros

LovingSteam said:
Actually many had their game disabled. Why? Because the game wasn't intended for them. You think its illegal? Sue. You can buy games where you want and Valve can disable any game that wasn't intended for you. Again, don't like it? Sue them.

Except they can and have. Its called removing the game from your account and not giving you a discount. If you don't mind the risk then take the chance.

Sure, many had MW2 disabled. But that Activision and they're evil right ? That's also the only game that has been disabled en masse

drizzle

Axel Hertz
confused said:
Sure, many had MW2 disabled. But that Activision and they're evil right ? That's also the only game that has been disabled en masse
Didn't something like that happened with Left4Dead 2?

CryptiK

Basically be careful when buying keys from anyone. G2play has been shut down many times and Keys disabled due to using Stolen Credit Cards to buy Keys and resell them.
drizzle said:
Didn't something like that happened with Left4Dead 2?
Yes I heard that also

confused said:
Abouta week and a half ago, bought Halflife 1 platinum collection steam code for 5 euros

And Left 4 Dead 2.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
You can buy Steam keys from less than legit internet sites and they will probably work, but don't bitch if Steam wises up and starts removing your games associated with those keys. That's why i don't buy games in those sites, it's just not worth it.

confused

Banned
I know about Mw2 but I haven't heard about L4D2 and can't find anything through google either. Incidently L4D2 is one of the games I bought of G2play

Easy_D

never left the stone age
confused said:
I know about Mw2 but I haven't heard about L4D2 and can't find anything through google either. Incidently L4D2 is one of the games I bought of G2play
Watch out for the Valve Ninjas

Max

I am not Max
Games list is buggin' out :(

1427tzc.png

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I bought a Starcraft cd key for like 7.50 from g2play and it has worked ever since. I think i would be a bit more cautious with registering a cd key from there on Steam though.

g2pay is based in Poland, which is part of the single market of the European Union, which establishes freedom of movement of goods and services amongst its member states so it should be perfectly legal and valid for anyone in Eu states to buy keys from G2Play, assuming the keys were acquired legally in the first place. If Steam are invalidating legitimate sales they could be in breach of European law. I bought a game from them once and didn't have any issues.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ninja Kn1ght said:
g2pay is based in Poland

Apparently after some recent investigations, they have moved their operations to Singapore.

Look, we all want CD-Keys to be cheap and legit, but there is some seriously shady stuff about this company.

Schmattakopf said:
Everyone gets Mac copies of Civ4 if they own the Windows version... and they obnoxiously show up in your list no matter what.

ok valve add a "hide games in games list not on your current steam platform" checkbox in settings...

Sanjay

Ninja Kn1ght said:
g2pay is based in Poland, which is part of the single market of the European Union, which establishes freedom of movement of goods and services amongst its member states so it should be perfectly legal and valid for anyone in Eu states to buy keys from G2Play, assuming the keys were acquired legally in the first place. If Steam are invalidating legitimate sales they could be in breach of European law. I bought a game from them once and didn't have any issues.

They might just be taking if off non EU lot like people from North America and such.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Quick update. Tropico 3 seems to be facing the same problem with the FUEL sale not too long ago in regards to running out of CD-Keys. I just finished installing and it says it can't connect to the CD-Key server. Darn it :lol

Shafto

Glad you lot have aired some of the doubts about G2play. Certainly made me think twice.

Although I don't see a problem, in principle, with what they do (buy keys either digital or in boxes, and sell them for profit). It's definitely a problem if they're shady and up to illegal shit of course.

Have yet to make my mind up about them.

bathala

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Quick update. Tropico 3 seems to be facing the same problem with the FUEL sale not too long ago in regards to running out of CD-Keys. I just finished installing and it says it can't connect to the CD-Key server. Darn it :lol
I installed mine yesterday and just opened it right now to see if I have the same problem.

everything is ok after entering the CD key.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
bathala said:
I installed mine yesterday and just opened it right now to see if I have the same problem.

everything is ok after entering the CD key.
Wait, so you already entered your CD-key yesterday or today? Because a few people on the Steam forum are stating that they too are having problems connecting to the CD-Key server.

benita

Banned
Does anyone want to help me avoid the ridiculous australia tax by hooking me up with MW2?

I assume I'll be able to connect to local games?

chixdiggit

Went ahead and bought the TellTale pack. The only other Sam and Max game I have played is the free "Abe Lincoln Must Die". Should I play the previous episodes before playing the newest season? How often does the old stuff go on sale?

Oreoleo

Jangaroo said:
Wait, so you already entered your CD-key yesterday or today? Because a few people on the Steam forum are stating that they too are having problems connecting to the CD-Key server.

Just loaded up the game for the first time right now. Accepted my CD-key no problem.

epmode

Visualante said:
That's bullshit that people had their games revoked.
Buying one of those keys is almost the same as buying stereo equipment from the back of a truck. Should have seen it coming.

benita

Banned
benita said:
Does anyone want to help me avoid the ridiculous australia tax by hooking me up with MW2?

I assume I'll be able to connect to local games?

Sorry to bump so soon but i'm about to go out and would really like to hook this up.

I can paypal immediately :D

bathala

Banned
Jangaroo said:
I entered it yesterday (Sunday). played it for hrs (that's y I didn't get to replay right away :p)

Sega Week: Complete Sega Package for $89.99. A new deal every day. First up is Aliens vs. Predator for 50% off.

Outrun looks to be back and part of the Complete Sega Package :O

GHG

crimsonheadGCN said:
Sega Week: Complete Sega Package for $89.99. A new deal every day. First up is Aliens vs. Predator for 50% off.

Ohhhh. Now that I can live with. Sega rally discount please :D .

Sega Complete Pack

Individual price: £281.28
Package price: £49.99
Cost to you: £49.99
You save: £231.29

Fuuuuuccccckkk....

Oh and if sonic allstars racing goes on sale everybody, I mean everybody, needs to buy it. Its the best cart racing game ever after Crash team racing PS1 IMO.

crimsonheadGCN said:

Can't click on it though.

Thanks for the Tropico 3 recommendations and for the sale (Steam)! It's not too complicated while still having a good amount of depth. Most importantly most games don't take like 6 hours to play.

MNC

GHG said:
Ohhhh. Now that I can live with. Sega rally discount please :D .

Sega Complete Pack

Individual price: £281.28
Package price: £49.99
Cost to you: £49.99
You save: £231.29

Fuuuuuccccckkk....

Oh and if sonic allstars racing goes on sale everybody, I mean everybody, needs to buy it. Its the best cart racing game ever after Crash team racing PS1 IMO.
It doesn't even have online, does it.

epmode

GHG said:
....with no online mode.

I'd have bought it otherwise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:

Interesting. Too bad I already have all of the Total War games other than Napoleon and the only other game I am interested in is Outrun. I'll pick up Napoleon and Outrun if they get a 50% off discount.

Salaadin

Is there a list of Steamworks titles like JC2 where you get the CD and install it from there but type the code into Steam and it works like any other steam game...it just wasnt downloaded?

I want to buy TR:Underworld but its so much cheaper on amazon...Whens the next steam sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom