• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Salaadin said:
Is there a list of Steamworks titles like JC2 where you get the CD and install it from there but type the code into Steam and it works like any other steam game...it just wasnt downloaded?

I want to buy TR:Underworld but its so much cheaper on amazon...Whens the next steam sale?

Metro 2033 and Dawn of War II come to mind. Oh, and Saints Row 2.

---------

Oh, and Steam are some bastards about CD Keys. I bought on from the fucking THQ.com.uk site and it got yanked because I live in the US.

I'd love to hear how the official THQ website is a shady dealer.

^^ Come defend that one LovingSteam.

kamspy

nodle said:
How bad is Aliens vs. Predator?

If you're a big fan of the Alien and Predator IPs, you'll have a really good time with it. Nothing is outright broken, there's just some plain level designs. I love that they used a bunch of stock audio from the movies.

The game is as good as your love for the IPs really.

I can fully recommend it at $25 to a fan.

kamspy said:

---------

Oh, and Steam are some bastards about CD Keys. I bought on from the fucking THQ.com.uk site and it got yanked because I live in the US.

When did I defend the practices? Please show me. Oh uea, I haven't. I simply have stated that Valve has removed games purchased via key and they have a right to do so. That isn't defending the ethics behind it. If you don't like it then do something about it.

nodle

kamspy said:
If you're a big fan of the Alien and Predator IPs, you'll have a really good time with it. Nothing is outright broken, there's just some plain level designs. I love that they used a bunch of stock audio from the movies.

The game is as good as your love for the IPs really.

I can fully recommend it at $25 to a fan.

Ah man your tempting me.:D

Steeven

Pffffff I can't make a decision, maybe you guys can help me. I really want to hook myself into a new game, so it's meant for the long run. I want it to be a shooter. I've been really active in the Operation Flashpoint scene and enjoyed Armed Assault very much, despite the bugs. Now I played the demo of ArmA II and it fucking rocks. But, I also enjoyed Battlefield 2 for a long time and therefor I'm interested in Bad Company 2. I know one of them is more of a sim and the other is more arcade, but both are fun I guess. What to do?

GHG said:
Ohhhh. Now that I can live with. Sega rally discount please :D .

Sega Complete Pack

Individual price: £281.28
Package price: £49.99
Cost to you: £49.99
You save: £231.29

Fuuuuuccccckkk....

Oh and if sonic allstars racing goes on sale everybody, I mean everybody, needs to buy it. Its the best cart racing game ever after Crash team racing PS1 IMO.

Well some of the 'normal' prices on those games are so high it's laughable(lots of them should be 5 Euro tbh). But as always the price for everything is competitive anyway.

kamspy

Steeven said:
Pffffff I can't make a decision, maybe you guys can help me. I really want to hook myself into a new game, so it's meant for the long run. I want it to be a shooter. I've been really active in the Operation Flashpoint scene and enjoyed Armed Assault very much, despite the bugs. Now I played the demo of ArmA II and it fucking rocks. But, I also enjoyed Battlefield 2 for a long time and therefor I'm interested in Bad Company 2. I know one of them is more of a sim and the other is more arcade, but both are fun I guess. What to do?

That's beyond Apples and Oranges.

ArmA 2 requires a good amount of the player propping up some of the rough spots.

BC2 is much much much more accessible, but seems people are in love with ArmA 2. DL the demo. If you enjoy it, I'd say go for it over BC2 (unless you want to play online, then only get BC2)

Sega "Complete" package is awesome but not so complete. The Club is restricted outside US, so it is not included in the package outside US, being replaced by Sega Rally. However, Sega Rally is available in US, but it is not included in the US package.

Too bad I already have most of the games.

£50 for ALL the steam available sega games is fucking amazing, shame i'm living the skint live currently :(

Chiaroscuro said:
Sega "Complete" package is awesome but not so complete. The Club is restricted outside US, so it is not included in the package outside US, being replaced by Sega Rally. However, Sega Rally is available in US, but it is not included in the US package.

The Club & Sega Rally both show up in the collection for me, UK store.

Danneee

Chiaroscuro said:

Both Sega Rally and The Club is included in the EU pack. At least here in Sweden it shows as included.

A really nice bundle but as a lot of other people I have most of the interesting games in the pack. Steam should give some kind of discount on packs if you already own games that are included. I doesn't have to be much but a few euro per game owned or something to motivate a buy of the pack.

vocab

kamspy said:

---------

Hmm. I hope my DoW2 doesn't get yanked. Is it still on your account and doesn't work?, or you don't have it under game list?

Javaman

Roofy said:
anyone have impressions of Chrome - SpecForce?

I bought both and gave up during the tutorial during the first since I couldn't find the right trigger to move the training forward. :lol I'll probably give it another shot in the near future, but it seemed pretty clunky.

Steeven

kamspy said:
That's beyond Apples and Oranges.

ArmA 2 requires a good amount of the player propping up some of the rough spots.

BC2 is much much much more accessible, but seems people are in love with ArmA 2. DL the demo. If you enjoy it, I'd say go for it over BC2 (unless you want to play online, then only get BC2)

Thanks for your advice. I opened a topic for my question, I wonder what the rest of NEOGAF thinks.

nodle said:
Ah man your tempting me.:D
I enjoyed it as well. MP system is fucked though, very clumsy navigation, lots of waiting, not a lot of people playing. Maybe they have fixed some of this, dunno - tried to play a couple of times and then simply gave up.

Danneee said:
Both Sega Rally and The Club is included in the EU pack. At least here in Sweden it shows as included.

A really nice bundle but as a lot of other people I have most of the interesting games in the pack. Steam should give some kind of discount on packs if you already own games that are included. I doesn't have to be much but a few euro per game owned or something to motivate a buy of the pack.
Doesn't show up in Germany, The Club that is - think it was never released here. Sega seems to be very hesitant towards toned down releases - AvP was never released here as well.

Pack is a good deal but these strategy games take too much time - I should start studying again I guess :D .

kamspy

vocab said:
Hmm. I hope my DoW2 doesn't get yanked. Is it still on your account and doesn't work?, or you don't have it under game list?

They didn't yank DOW2 even though I bought it during the same promotion.

When I migrated Steam to another HDD, Saints Row 2 turned into a preload. When I reformatted both drives and reinstalled steam from scratch it didn't appear at all.

Firebrand

Does anyone know any tricks to force the Steam overlay for games that have it disabled? I'm thinking of Outrun2006 which won't even show up as "Now playing" in the friends list. Maybe disabled for a reason, but I'd like to get it working if possible. Been trying adding it as a non-Steam game through shortcuts but no success so far.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Oh god, Outrun 2006 is in the complete pack despite no longer being sold individually in the store. Why Sega, WHY?! I don't want to pay $90 for one game :(
Edit: Okay maybe two.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Firebrand said:
Does anyone know any tricks to force the Steam overlay for games that have it disabled? I'm thinking of Outrun2006 which won't even show up as "Now playing" in the friends list. Maybe disabled for a reason, but I'd like to get it working if possible. Been trying adding it as a non-Steam game through shortcuts but no success so far.

They're usually disabled for a reason, as some games will just not work with the overlay. However, right click on the game and click "properties," and any option to enable and disable the overlay should be in one of those tabbed menus.

If it isn't there, then they really don't want you doing it.

Anyway, if the Club goes on sale for cheap, sub $10, then I'll probably give it a whirl.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Jangaroo said:
Oh god, Outrun 2006 is in the complete pack despite no longer being sold individually in the store. Why Sega, WHY?! I don't want to pay $90 for one game :(
Edit: Okay maybe two.

Am i missing something about Outrun 2006? I never played it...

Suairyu

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Oh god, yes you are. Outrun is a five-minute shot of pure joy straight into the veins. SEGA's true claim to brilliance was never Sonic or any of its home consoles, simply that it made short arcade experiences better than any other company in the business before or since. You endlessly replay it, getting better each time, never getting bored. Never has there been a mechanic in any other game as simple, visceral and simply just right as Outrun's drift mechanic. That shit be transcendent. It is not a sensation you can describe by pointing to drifting in other racing games - you play Outrun and you'll understand. You'll never know why it is just right. You'll just know that it is.

Buy it.

zombieshavebrains said:
Meh at the SEGA pack. Not that interested in AvP or Total war.
Yeah, it is pretty meh. And such a weird combo of games strategy, kart-racer, football management, AvP, Tennis, etc. I buy lots of packs but I can't rationalize this one. If I were into those strategy games it would be worth it.

chixdiggit

Suairyu said:
Oh god, yes you are. Outrun is a five-minute shot of pure joy straight into the veins. SEGA's true claim to brilliance was never Sonic or any of its home consoles, simply that it made short arcade experiences better than any other company in the business before or since. You endlessly replay it, getting better each time, never getting bored. Never has there been a mechanic in any other game as simple, visceral and simply just right as Outrun's drift mechanic. That shit be transcendent. It is not a sensation you can describe by pointing to drifting in other racing games - you play Outrun and you'll understand. You'll never know why it is just right. You'll just know that it is.

Buy it.

Is it any better than what was released on XBLA/PSN?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, I guess I'm glad I bought Outrun 2006 when it was on sale a while ago.

But why did Sega pull it? Is this the first time a game's disappeared from Steam like that? Going to the store page just redirects to the main page.

Cohsae

Bought Tropico 3 2 days ago, fucking thing is STILL telling me that the steam servers are too busy. God dammit. Now I know how all those people who bought HL2 at release felt, because this shit is ridiculous.

Firebrand

Outrun 2 is indeed awesome, though I'm not crazy about the PC version in its current state. No online (including leaderboards) is the biggest complaint, but also miss the rumble. Still good for 5 or 10 minutes of Outrun goodness every once in a while.

I'd love a Steamworks-port of Outrun Online Arcade.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Suairyu said:

Buy it.

Thanks very much for that description but i don't think i can justify 90 bucks for the game. I don't see myself touching any of the other games except maybe the SEGA all-star racers.

firehawk12 said:

But why did Sega pull it? Is this the first time a game's disappeared from Steam like that? Going to the store page just redirects to the main page.

Yeah i guess no one has it, otherwise i'd paypal someone and get it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
firehawk12 said:

Nobody is quite sure but it is hardly the first game or even the first SEGA game to be pulled from Steam, though in those other cases we lost such luminaries such as Iron Man, Beijing 2008 and The Golden Compass.

Jangaroo

zombieshavebrains said:
Outrun is by far my favorite arcade racer. The drifting mechanic is like no other and the music... man the music. I've been wanting to purchase the PC version for so long on Steam.

Cohsae said:
Bought Tropico 3 2 days ago, fucking thing is STILL telling me that the steam servers are too busy. God dammit. Now I know how all those people who bought HL2 at release felt, because this shit is ridiculous.
I managed to get a CD-key earlier in the afternoon. They're probably still making keys. Patience I suppose :/

Trouble

Banned
A big fat "meh" on Sega week from me. If they knock The Club down to $5, I'll pick it up. Pass on everything else.

Hopefully Mac Wednesday will bring some interesting deals for PC as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Trouble said:
A big fat "meh" on Sega week from me. If they knock The Club down to $5, I'll pick it up. Pass on everything else.

Hopefully Mac Wednesday will bring some interesting deals for PC as well.

I picked up the PC Version of The Club for 5 USD at the local Gamestop not too long ago, yea, Steam could use a bit of the old knowing when to drop prices accordingly.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hi.

First time Steam user.

Anyway, just got a new laptop, had Steam pre-installed.
Created an account, purchased and installed Torchlight.

I ran it once, changed some graphics settings, restarted... and now the game won't play. It won't even open. Don't know what happened, I uninstalled and redownloaded via Steam and it still wont open. It's not responding.

How do I fix? :( I hate PC gaming.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The Club for PC is the worst port I have ever seen in my life. It is like they basically copy and pasted the 360 version.

Furoba

Is there any way to get Hearts of Iron III registered on steam? I'd like to download the mac version when it becomes available.

Jangaroo

Twig said:
you haven't played the bard's tale on pc then
How is it? My uncle picked it up on the PS2 way back and it seemed like a good Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance/Champions of Norath esque game.

John Harker said:
I ran it once, changed some graphics settings, restarted... and now the game won't play. It won't even open. Don't know what happened, I uninstalled and redownloaded via Steam and it still wont open. It's not responding.
What EXACTLY does it do when you try to run?

But then again, this is not a good place for such questions. Try these places:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4901-PASX-3238
http://forums.runicgames.com/
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=749

This thread looks promising for you:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007920

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Twig said:
you haven't played the bard's tale on pc then
The game won't let me log into Windows Live, which means I can't save my game. Can The Bard's Tale compare with that?

epmode

John Harker said:

How do I fix? :( I hate PC gaming.
I bet that the graphics settings are being stored in a seperate location from the Torchlight folder and they're not automatically wiped during an uninstall. Maybe in your My Documents folder? Run a search for "torchlight" and open any folder that ISN'T in the Steam directory. (if you have multiple hard drives, make sure you're searching the one with your Windows folder)

<3 PC gaming BTW. But I almost never run into this stuff unless I'm trying to play older games with compatibility issues.

Twig

Banned
Jangaroo said:
How is it? My uncle picked it up on the PS2 way back and it seemed like a good Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance/Champions of Norath esque game.
It's a fun game. A tad long, sort of boring, but it makes me laugh a lot when I play it. (except those annoying singing goblin things, that joke was way overplayed)
BobsRevenge said:
The game won't let me log into Windows Live, which means I can't save my game. Can The Bard's Tale compare with that?
red faction: guerilla does that too it's fucking annoying

the bard's tale has vsync hard-coded into the game and actively runs at half-speed unless you force it off using your video card control panel

unfortunately, doing so causes some of the worst tearing i've ever seen in a video game ever, but you have to suffer with it

also the prerendered cutscenes are rendered at like 5x5 pixels but that doesn't really hinder gameplay it just looks balls ugly

Jangaroo

Twig said:
It's a fun game. A tad long, sort of boring, but it makes me laugh a lot when I play it. (except those annoying singing goblin things, that joke was way overplayed)

red faction: guerilla does that too it's fucking annoying

the bard's tale has vsync hard-coded into the game and actively runs at half-speed unless you force it off using your video card control panel

unfortunately, doing so causes some of the worst tearing i've ever seen in a video game ever, but you have to suffer with it

also the prerendered cutscenes are rendered at like 5x5 pixels but that doesn't really hinder gameplay it just looks balls ugly
All I remember is that Tony Jay voiced the narrator and the game was really witty. Guess I'll bite.

Twig

Banned
Jangaroo said:
All I remember is that Tony Jay voiced the narrator and the game was really witty. Guess I'll bite.
It is very witty. I played it once on PS2 and then bought it when it was on sale on Steam (of course). It is entirely playable it was just such a disappointing port. But I guess that's the days of PS2. Maybe it worked better on older machines/OSes, I dunno. D:

I'd say if you want to play the game, it's worth it, just be prepared for a shoddy port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom