• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Sega Rally and Sega All-Star Racing package discount and/or daily special in the coming days please.

I already have Outrun, so those are my wanted games.

Twig

Banned
hi it's me again with another random pc gaming question

Is it possible to eliminate screen tearing and also not have a laggy mouse at the SAME TIME in Dead Space? I've read triple buffering will solve that problem, but there's no option in-game and nHancer tells me the forced triple-buffering works only for OpenGL! Which Dead Space is, I assume, not, because Steam installed DirectX when I started it up for the first time half an hour ago.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:

Is it possible to eliminate screen tearing and also not have a laggy mouse at the SAME TIME in Dead Space? I've read triple buffering will solve that problem, but there's no option in-game and nHancer tells me the forced triple-buffering works only for OpenGL! Which Dead Space is, I assume, not, because Steam installed DirectX when I started it up for the first time half an hour ago.

Install Rivatuner and give it a profile in D3Doverrider, that program will let you force Triple-buffering on any DirectX game.

Oreoleo

Twig said:

I've been beaten twice, but how do you not have D3DOverrider yet dude? Shit is as critical as Fraps IMO.

Thankfully i have no desire to play any of those Sega games. I would maybe consider Sega All-Star Racing if it was really cheap, but the lack of online is so insulting.

Twig

Banned
I have no real desire to make every game look absolutely perfect these days because I don't have the hardware for it, so something like D3DOverrider isn't really necessary, but the tearing in this game is exceptionally bad when lights are flickering, so yeah!

Do I need to install D3DOverrider separately from RivaTuner?

Volcynika

Spotless Mind said:
Thankfully i have no desire to play any of those Sega games. I would maybe consider Sega All-Star Racing if it was really cheap, but the lack of online is so insulting.

If you think the lack of online is insulting, you should've seen the reason for it :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
I have no real desire to make every game look absolutely perfect these days because I don't have the hardware for it, so something like D3DOverrider isn't really necessary, but the tearing in this game is exceptionally bad when lights are flickering, so yeah!

Do I need to install D3DOverrider separately from RivaTuner?
It comes with RivaTuner, no separate install. You can completely ignore RivaTuner. It's definitely worthwhile for Dead Space, but if you are fine with a game, don't bother adding Triple-Buffering (FPS mostly... RTS work great with it).

Psy-Phi

Spotless Mind said:
Did not know that...I was preparing to buy when it inevitably went on sale but with no online, no thanks. Have to get it on a console :(.

chixdiggit

Psy-Phi said:
Did not know that...I was preparing to buy when it inevitably went on sale but with no online, no thanks. Have to get it on a console :(.

It's only $30 on PC to start with. So if it's 50% off I think I'll bite. I could pay more and get it on console but I probably wouldn't play it online much anyway.

Anksta said:
Is Sins of the Solar Empire worth getting? Are the two expansions necessary? I would've been more interested if Sins Trinity (game + expansions) had been on sale.

One of the better 4X games this generation. I only have the first expansion since I don't play the game all that much any more and I've heard that the second pack breaks bits of the game, but even vanilla it's well worth getting. It's a very macro and slow paced game; most of your time will be spent optimizing your economy and waiting for combat ships to get to the different planets. The most you'll get involved in combat is managing the rock/paper/scissors orientation for each individual planet.

Anksta said:
Is Sins of the Solar Empire worth getting? Are the two expansions necessary? I would've been more interested if Sins Trinity (game + expansions) had been on sale.
Sins is amazing and the expansions are worth it. They will probably be on sale in the future. I know Entrenchment has been on sale for $5.

Anarchistry

I'm new to Steam, as I just got into via the Mac update. Anyways, I bought Torchlight on launch day and i've enjoyed the hell out of it so far. However, i've run into an incredibly maddening bug. When I reach a certain point in a quest, a dialog box pops up thanking me for "trying the demo". Anyone know what's up?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anarchistry said:
I'm new to Steam, as I just got into via the Mac update. Anyways, I bought Torchlight on launch day and i've enjoyed the hell out of it so far. However, i've run into an incredibly maddening bug. When I reach a certain point in a quest, a dialog box pops up thanking me for "trying the demo". Anyone know what's up?

Try verifying the game cache.

Psy-Phi

Anksta said:

I would say that Diplomacy (or Sins Trinity) feels necessary. Because without it, the diplomatic options are very limited. Entrenchment (which is in Trinity, and Diplomacy if you own it separately) makes for some better defense research and options so you don't have to keep your a fleet near by. Seems a bit more realistic (in a scifi world) than just a few defense hangars that were in the original game. It adds large Star Bases, mine-fields, better point defense laser turrets etc.. so you're better able to defend your planet(s).

Really, anybody interested in Sins now should just go ahead and buy Trinity (it's all 3, vanilla, entrenchment & diplomacy), because once you start playing Vanilla sins, you'll probably wish for the things that the expansions add.

But if you're on a budget, tens of thousands of people played it without the added stuff and loved it prior to the expansions releasing. So it's not really necessary, just provides the player with more choices and options.

Anksta

Psy-Phi said:
I would say that Diplomacy (or Sins Trinity) feels necessary. Because without it, the diplomatic options are very limited. Entrenchment (which is in Trinity, and Diplomacy if you own it separately) makes for some better defense research and options so you don't have to keep your a fleet near by. Seems a bit more realistic (in a scifi world) than just a few defense hangars that were in the original game. It adds large Star Bases, mine-fields, better point defense laser turrets etc.. so you're better able to defend your planet(s).

Really, anybody interested in Sins now should just go ahead and buy Trinity (it's all 3, vanilla, entrenchment & diplomacy), because once you start playing Vanilla sins, you'll probably wish for the things that the expansions add.

But if you're on a budget, tens of thousands of people played it without the added stuff and loved it prior to the expansions releasing. So it's not really necessary, just provides the player with more choices and options.

Hmmm... good advice. In which case, I'm going to wait till Trinity is released and then goes on sale. I'm in no rush since I'm just going through a reinvigoration of Civ4 atm.

Psy-Phi

Anksta said:
Hmmm... good advice. In which case, I'm going to wait till Trinity is released and then goes on sale. I'm in no rush since I'm just going through a reinvigoration of Civ4 atm.
Trinity's out already :p. It's just the all in one pack (trinity...three, Sins original, Sins Entrenchment, & Sins Diplomacy). Diplomacy and Trinity are almost interchangeable terms however since people there ubiquitously have all three.

Think of Trinity as a GotY edition.

Himajin

Fantastic value on the Sega pack if you live in Japan like me. Thanks for looking after your home market, Sega! :lol

segadeal.jpg

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Well...At least they didn't bother with the "You save" line. That would be downright embarrassing.

Himajin

Red Scarlet said:
So it costs twice as much to buy the package than the games separately?

Yeah, Sega doesn't offer most of their games to the Japan market through Steam (same goes for most other Japanese publishers), so the "Complete Pack" ends up looking rather sad...

Twig said:

D3DOverrider, see my thread:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

It still probably won't be perfect though, so I'd recommend just using a 360 pad.

Spotless Mind said:

Meh, no one would be playing it by now anyway. The inclusion of full 4 player splitscreen support more than makes up for it.

honestly the package for japan is just kind of insulting. It shouldn't even fucking be there.

:mad:

I was planning on buying the package too after hearing about it at work today.

panda21

i think the package stuff is automated and they just don't bother checking that it makes sense outside the US, rather than that someone actually made that page by hand and thought 'yup that looks like a good deal'.

they give weird packages in europe all the time that get fixed once they notice the percentages they end up with after the currency conversion don't match up with the PR. (like when they were effectively paying people to take TRU or whatever it was in that eidos deal).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
panda21 said:
i think the package stuff is automated and they just don't bother checking that it makes sense outside the US, rather than that someone actually made that page by hand and thought 'yup that looks like a good deal'.
this. calm down guys; it's pretty obvious :lol

that said i do acknowledge and know that steam sometimes hates the rest of the world

vertopci

John said:
You could use Hamachi if you really wanted, no?

Stop using that hamachi shit. Switch to tunngle

brain_stew said:
Meh, no one would be playing it by now anyway. The inclusion of full 4 player splitscreen support more than makes up for it.

Yea because people do that split screen shit all the time on PC amirite? Splitscreen doesn't make up for anything. Especially on PC

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:

Some of us don't rely on pubs to play online. My gaming group usually all buys the same games so we always have someone to play with.

panda21

AstroLad said:
this. calm down guys; it's pretty obvious :lol

that said i do acknowledge and know that steam sometimes hates the rest of the world

case in point:

(don't know how to shot screen on windows)
Sega Sci-Fi Pack

You save: £0.01

Today's Sega specials:
Space Siege - $5
Universe at War - $5
Stormrise - $7.50

Or all 3 in a "sci-fi" pack for the above-mentioned penny savings.

Universe at War at least looks decent. Worth the $5?

vocab

Why do I have to log into steam community now from the client? Before it used to autologin without any password prompt.

MNC

vocab said:
Why do I have to log into steam community now from the client? Before it used to autologin without any password prompt.
Just had that too, but I have had it in the past; I think cookies expired or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom