• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

vocab said:
Why do I have to log into steam community now from the client? Before it used to autologin without any password prompt.

That used to happen to me sometimes as well. I just restart the Steam client and that usually fixes it.

slidewinder said:
Today's Sega specials:
Space Siege - $5
Universe at War - $5
Stormrise - $7.50

Or all 3 in a "sci-fi" pack for the above-mentioned penny savings.

Universe at War at least looks decent. Worth the $5?

Not really, but best of the bunch. Mostly due to Space Siege and Stormrise being some of the worst games ever made.

slidewinder said:
Today's Sega specials:
Space Siege - $5
Universe at War - $5
Stormrise - $7.50

Or all 3 in a "sci-fi" pack for the above-mentioned penny savings.

Universe at War at least looks decent. Worth the $5?
I was going to get them all, but I forgot that Space Siege got terrible reviews, and Stormrise got even worse reviews.

nexen

Steeven said:
Pffffff I can't make a decision, maybe you guys can help me. I really want to hook myself into a new game, so it's meant for the long run. I want it to be a shooter. I've been really active in the Operation Flashpoint scene and enjoyed Armed Assault very much, despite the bugs. Now I played the demo of ArmA II and it fucking rocks. But, I also enjoyed Battlefield 2 for a long time and therefor I'm interested in Bad Company 2. I know one of them is more of a sim and the other is more arcade, but both are fun I guess. What to do?

I think Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one of the best games of this generation. I've probably already spent over a hundred hours on it already.

ARMA II, judging by my experience the demo, is buggy but pretty and needs a hefty rig to look good. If its anything like the first OFP I'd probably give up halfway through the campaign.

OFP : DR is not made by the same team as OFP/ARMA and is actually a pretty decently polished game, although I dislike some of the artistic choices and interface design.

jakershaker said:
Not really, but best of the bunch. Mostly due to Space Siege and Stormrise being some of the worst games ever made.

I loved Universe At War. Storyline is disposable camp but the graphics were decent and the walkers were super fun. Also had fun with those teleporting guys. The third faction was extremely boring though. Recommend skipping that part of the campaign.

Plus it has cheesemints.

caveat: I'm not a hard-core RTS guy.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The [ARMA II] demo is a pretty bad representation of the game. It has never been patched if I recall correctly.
Hmm... I might give it another shot, then. I *do* like hard-core military shooters and now I've got the cpu horsepower to make it shine too. Still - BFBC2 is contentrated fun in a box. Such an improvement over BF2 imho.

nexen said:
I think Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one of the best games of this generation. I've probably already spent over a hundred hours on it already.

ARMA II, judging by my experience the demo, is buggy but pretty and needs a hefty rig to look good. If its anything like the first OFP I'd probably give up halfway through the campaign.

OFP : DR is not made by the same team as OFP/ARMA and is actually a pretty decently polished game, although I dislike some of the artistic choices and interface design.

The demo is a pretty bad representation of the game. It has never been patched if I recall correctly.

eznark

Banned
Space Siege is not that terrible. I had a bit of fun with it, and I paid $40 for it!

Universe at War is definitely worth a few bucks, it has 360 achievements too!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
nexen said:

I loved Universe At War. Storyline is disposable camp but the graphics were decent and the walkers were super fun. Also had fun with those teleporting guys. The third faction was extremely boring though. Recommend skipping that part of the campaign.

Plus it has cheesemints.

caveat: I'm not a hard-core RTS guy.

[sorry for double post]
Is it really better than Battlefield 2?

Danneee

nexen said:

MP I agree but the singleplayer is on pair with the medal of honour games on psx in terms of linearity, I felt that I had no strategic choices at all and all I did was going straight forward then stopped to shoot some guys and then repeat.

nexen

SapientWolf said:
Is it really better than Battlefield 2?
I think so. Super streamlined, way better class balance - every class is fun for multiple reasons - look and feel are far more intense. Some terrific maps. Destruction adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

I liked BF2 a lot but I love BFBC2.

Danneee said:
MP I agree but the singleplayer is on pair with the medal of honour games on psx in terms of linearity, I felt that I had no strategic choices at all and all I did was going straight forward then stopped to shoot some guys and then repeat.
Oh, sorry. SP was very disposable, yeah. It was about on par with BFBC1. Better in some ways, worse in others. MP is why I got the game though so I really didn't care much. DICE made it way more cinematic than their other titles so it bodes well for the next installment.

vocab

James Woods said:
Are you serious?

I'm dead serious. I like 2142, and had the most fun with it. It's a balanced yet very flawed game. The vehicle combat is way better than any other BF game, and guess what? People actually die when you shoot them. How about that! I don't really care if people hated it because it wasn't like BF2. No fucking shit. Fast Attack vehicles and Mechs for life. BC2 is sloppy as a game, poorly optimized, sloppy netcode, poor hit detection, bad balance, pointless inspiration by Halo regen and Auto aim knife. It's just a very frustrating game when you talk about it.

I am going to get a half decent Laptop soon, and I was wondering about any big obvious games that have come out within the last 4-5 years on 360/PS3 where the PC version might be superior...

I was thinking about purchasing the PC version of;

- Fallout 3 GOTY - Mods would make it worth buying again?
- Oblivion - Mods would make it worth buying again?
- Far Cry 2 - Better on PC?
- Braid - Higher resolutions and nicer to look at?
- Tom Clancy GRAW 1 and 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 - Better on PC?
- Dead Space - Better on PC?
- Borderlands - Better on PC?
- Splinter Cell Conviction - Better on PC?

Maybe / Not sure:

- Just Cause 2 - very high system requirements?
- Assassins Creed 1 and 2 (problems with Mouse+Keyboard? DRM?)
- Mirrors Edge (would feel better with controller?)
- GTA 4 + Expansions - Worried about the performance...:(
- Resident Evil 4 and 5 - High system requirements?
- Devil May Cry 4 - hard to play with controller + mouse?

Veritas_

Vigilant Walrus said:
- Fallout 3 GOTY - Mods would make it worth buying again?
- Oblivion - Mods would make it worth buying again?
- Far Cry 2 - Better on PC?
- Dead Space - Better on PC?

Maybe / Not sure:

- Mirrors Edge (would feel better with controller?)

Fallout 3 - Yes, big time.
Oblivion - Ditto
Far Cry 2 - Yes, looks awesome on maximum settings.
Dead Space - I never played a console version, but it's pretty good on PC. Be sure to turn off v-sync or you'll get mouse input lag issues. Otherwise I love it, and it runs really well.
Mirror's Edge - Get it for PC. Mouse input makes some tricky twitch moments much easier.

Basically, yes to all.

nexen

vocab said:
I'm dead serious. I like 2142, and had the most fun with it. It's a balanced yet very flawed game. The vehicle combat is way better than any other BF game, and guess what? People actually die when you shoot them. How about that! I don't really care if people hated it because it wasn't like BF2. No fucking shit. Fast Attack vehicles and Mechs for life. BC2 is sloppy as a game, poorly optimized, sloppy netcode, poor hit detection, bad balance, pointless inspiration by Halo regen and Auto aim knife. It's just a very frustrating game when you talk about it.

Different strokes, I guess.

Mechs and that VTOL were bad ass in BF2142, no doubt, but the weapons felt like toys to me. I didn't care for most of the maps either.

I do wish that higher level opponents would go down quicker in BFBC2. I dislike the body armor. Hardcore servers are better for this though.

If there is health regen in MP it is very light. The hud effects go away slowly but I'm not sure you get any health back.

As for poorly optimized - I played on ps3 over wifi and on PC. My PC is monster so my experience there is little help. But I've never had a problem with framerate on my ps3 and lag wasn't noticeable on either.

I disagree on the bad balance. I think the classes are nicely balanced. Except for the fact that I suck at sniping I find every class has lots to do and all of it is useful and fun. In BF2 I'd pick one loadout and stick with it and avoid lots of the vehicles. In BFBC2 I find myself switching up constantly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
From the ones I own, on my laptop - 2.1Ghz C2D, Nvidia GT130M (I also own Far Cry 2 but only ever played about 10 minutes)
Vigilant Walrus said:
- Braid - I would imagine it is pretty similar
- Dead Space - The game has a few issues with controls and the surround sound is an important feature of the game, which you may or may not have with your laptop (most sound cards won't output 5.1 over optical)
- Just Cause 2 - try the demo but you can run with less than minimum specs at fairly steady 30fps if you turn some things off/low
- Assassins Creed 1 - runs ok, mouse keyboard is not too big a hassle, game is uninspired though
- Mirrors Edge - works great, mouse keyboard is great for FPS even when their isn't much S involved
- GTA 4 + Expansions - You need a decent quad core for this game, a 2.2GHz won't cut it at all
- Resident Evil 5 - Works fine on pretty low level hardware, depending on settings. Try the benchmark if you are worried
I would also add
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Orange box
Left 4 Dead 1 and/or 2
Mass Effect
Dragon Age

vocab

nexen said:
As for poorly optimized - I played on ps3 over wifi and on PC. My PC is monster so my experience there is little help. But I've never had a problem with framerate on my ps3 and lag wasn't noticeable on either.

I disagree on the bad balance. I think the classes are nicely balanced. Except for the fact that I suck at sniping I find every class has lots to do and all of it is useful and fun. In BF2 I'd pick one loadout and stick with it and avoid lots of the vehicles. In BFBC2 I find myself switching up constantly.

My PC is a monster as well, but the game never feels smooth like a 60fps console game or a 125 fps game. You know what I'm saying? Like this game just feels like the game will crash any second. Also the lag is noticeable when players rubberband back and fourth on killcam. It's not every server, but seems to happen a lot.

And balance. Medic's are primary offensive power when they should be support, Assaults are pretty useless if they didn't have GL, Engineers are CPMA players, and Recons are fine. The thing is, there's a counter for everything in this game, but Medics counter everything period.

They just need to fix Medic revive invulnerability + cooldown, tone down that stupid joke gun called the M60, or at least buff the other class's guns.

kamspy

I just bought Universe at War in attempt to quell my need for a SciFi RTS campaign to hold me over until SC2 hits retail.

I noticed SEGA published so:

How bad did I just fuck up my $5 GAF?

Game looks cool....

Oreoleo

kamspy said:
I just bought Universe at War to try to attempt my need for a SciFi RTS campaign to hold me over until SC2 hits retail.

I noticed SEGA published so:

How bad did I just fuck up my $5 GAF?

Game looks cool....

Ya I just bought it too for some reason. We could have probably done worse. $5 isn't exactly a lot.

Spl1nter

nexen said:
I can see some arguments for BF2 but BF2142 is ... ew.

BF2142
- Better Weapon Balance
- Class Balance
- Hit Detection
- Better vehicle/infantry balance
- Titan mode

BF2
- prone spam
- grenade spam
- aircraft dominance
- shitty hit detection

2142 improved upon bf2 gameplay and made it a balanced fun game.

BC2 is a different type of game. It really shouldnt be compared to BF2 as it wasnt made to be like the typical battlefield game.

eznark said:
Space Siege is not that terrible. I had a bit of fun with it, and I paid $40 for it!

Universe at War is definitely worth a few bucks, it has 360 achievements too!
Stormrise has achievements, too.

Not that I'm saying anyone should touch the game.

What the fuck? Blur is $39?

This is an activision game?

It's $59 on consoles, right?

WHAT?!

AND I GET A FREE GAME TOO?

Clearly Bobby Kotick is on vacation.

vocab

TouchMyBox said:
What the fuck? Blur is $39?

This is an activision game?

It's $59 on consoles, right?

WHAT?!

AND I GET A FREE GAME TOO?

Clearly Bobby Kotick is on vacation.

I was under the impression Blur was going to be a $15-$20 title. They fooled me.

nexen

vocab said:
My PC is a monster as well, but the game never feels smooth like a 60fps console game or a 125 fps game. You know what I'm saying? Like this game just feels like the game will crash any second. Also the lag is noticeable when players rubberband back and fourth on killcam. It's not every server, but seems to happen a lot.
*shrugs* I believe you but I haven't noticed this. It's buttery smooth on my rig. Hasn't crashed on me once that I can recall.

vocab said:
And balance. Medic's are primary offensive power when they should be support, Assaults are pretty useless if they didn't have GL, Engineers are CPMA players, and Recons are fine. The thing is, there's a counter for everything in this game, but Medics counter everything period.
Medics are horrible against vehicles. Repair is a pretty good counter - it makes vehicles a lot more useful. Also GL is good for destroying buildings that have MCOMs in them. Medics were given offensive power because people hate to play support classes. I think it was an excellent decision, personally.
Anecdotally the people who are owning the servers I've been on seem to usually be playing engineer. I do admit that assault does feel a bit underpowered. I certainly dig the balance in this game better than the previous BF games.

vocab said:
They just need to fix Medic revive invulnerability + cooldown, tone down that stupid joke gun called the M60, or at least buff the other class's guns.
I could go for a buff on the assault but engineener is pretty powerful as is. I suck at snipers in pretty much every game except maybe TF2 (*maybe*) so I cant comment on that one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wait blur is out? Or does it just list a price for $39 in the US?

There's no price listing on the aussie store, $39 though .. damn that's awesome.

evlcookie said:
Wait blur is out? Or does it just list a price for $39 in the US?

There's no price listing on the aussie store, $39 though .. damn that's awesome.

Pre-purchase in the US with a free copy of Geometry Wars.

eznark said:
Actually, Borderlands is supposedly a lot better on the consoles. I loved it on PC, though.

Nah, I've seen & played Borderlands on 360 & the PC and the PC version toasts it hardcore bad. You remember the "Gimp" scene in Pulp Fiction? Yeah, it's that bad in my eyes.

IMACOMPUTA

I have Battlefield : Bad Company 2 totally maxed out on my computer (dx11, max AA, etc.)
And get about 70fps average, and it feels great. I have no idea what you mean by not feeling smooth, it's great. :/ ?

benjipwns

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Nah, I've seen & played Borderlands on 360 & the PC and the PC version toasts it hardcore bad. You remember the "Gimp" scene in Pulp Fiction? Yeah, it's that bad in my eyes.
Yeah, patches fixed a lot of the main issues, and they finally got their servers to actually work. (At launch you could not trust them.)

It's not like the console versions are bug or glitch free either. (Or hacker free based on 80% of the videos on YouTube.)

vocab

IMACOMPUTA said:
I have Battlefield : Bad Company 2 totally maxed out on my computer (dx11, max AA, etc.)
And get about 70fps average, and it feels great. I have no idea what you mean by not feeling smooth, it's great. :/ ?
I tried all low, all high. It feels the same. Average is 60-90. Doesn't feel smooth at all. I watched some other people play the PC version I can see the non smooth feel. It has to do with the render ahead shit. IT runs smooth, but doesn't feel smooth. It's not something I can prove honestly, but reading BC2 forums, I can see some people feel the same way.

nexen said:
*shrugs* I believe you but I haven't noticed this. It's buttery smooth on my rig. Hasn't crashed on me once that I can recall.

I have had CTD's only once, while my Nvidia Brethren friends CTD all the time. I had a few hard freezes in the MENU, but that's DICE's fault.

Bisonian

DiatribeEQ said:

From the last time it went on Weekend Sale in this thread:

Bisonian said:
It has gotten better as of late (they patched Multiplayer to reliably work like... a month ago?), but it shipped in really shoddy condition. Connectivity and voice chat was (and sort of still is) a mess. Having your online go through Gamespy is just archaic. When it shipped you had to do some extensive .ini editing to get the most basic of PC functions going (vsync, fix the shoddy default fov it shipped in, various graphic engine options, some advanced keybindings to get the UI to act more like a computer game then a reject console port, disable the unskippable boot up movies, etc). I'm pretty sure they have not patched those things to be available through the game's UI although I haven't played it as of late.

Once it's up and running the way you like it though, it's pretty solid. I personally thought the performance was good, it was stable, it looks nice, and for my money you can't beat KB/M for a shooter. Your mileage may vary, of course. I don't think you'll find a better deal then $25 anytime soon on the console side anyway.

Honestly if you are a console gamer first and you also own a PC you will probably think it's awesome. If you are a PC gamer first and you also own a console you will probably think it's pretty gimped. In no way do I mean that as an insult to anyone's preferred tastes.

DiatribeEQ said:
I think it is the crappy server browser that really sucked in the PC version. Perhaps they fixed it? I gave up on the game long ago.

The server browser never really bothered me since I just played with friends. I couldn't imagine playing Borderlands with randoms.

UI does blow though.

Aon

Steam is happy enough to give me an ad for Blur + Geom wars, but not the pack.

What's with all the racial segregation Valve? Australians taking your jobs?

Slavik81

Aon said:
Steam is happy enough to give me an ad for Blur + Geom wars, but not the pack.

What's with all the racial segregation Valve? Australians taking your jobs?
It's determined by the publisher.
Blur/GeoWars is Activision. The Sega pack is Sega.

Anthropic

When I try to buy the Blur Pre-Order I'm getting a message that says: Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.

Anyone else seeing this?

nexen

vocab said:
I have had CTD's only once, while my Nvidia Brethren friends CTD all the time. I had a few hard freezes in the MENU, but that's DICE's fault.

Hm. NVidia 470 GTX here. No CTDs, smooth as glass. Lots and lots of playtime accrued, much of it consecutive.

Sorry you're having trouble. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom