• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHT-

This may be a stupid question, but I'm planning on picking up Max Payne 1 and 2 on Steam. Will the 360 PC controller work with them?

Max

I am not Max
NIGHT- said:
This may be a stupid question, but I'm planning on picking up Max Payne 1 and 2 on Steam. Will the 360 PC controller work with them?
Probably not without Xpadder. Question is, why would you want to?

vanty

vocab said:
I'm dead serious. I like 2142, and had the most fun with it. It's a balanced yet very flawed game. The vehicle combat is way better than any other BF game, and guess what? People actually die when you shoot them. How about that! I don't really care if people hated it because it wasn't like BF2. No fucking shit. Fast Attack vehicles and Mechs for life. BC2 is sloppy as a game, poorly optimized, sloppy netcode, poor hit detection, bad balance, pointless inspiration by Halo regen and Auto aim knife. It's just a very frustrating game when you talk about it.
wat wat wat wat wat

No Battlefield game has had good vehicle combat since 1942. Bad Company 2 is the best BF game since 1942 because vehicles are mostly useless and it actually has reasonably good infantry combat, something that was just laughably bad in BF2 and 2142.

NIGHT- said:
I hate playing games like this on keyboard and Mouse. Much easier for me to use a controller
Max Payne works perfectly with kb+m. Nothing like Just Cause 2 for example which is a third-person game clearly designed for a gamepad.

vocab

vanty said:
wat wat wat wat wat

No Battlefield game has had good vehicle combat since 1942. Bad Company 2 is the best BF game since 1942 because vehicles are mostly useless and it actually has reasonably good infantry combat, something that was just laughably bad in BF2 and 2142.

Infantry combat in BC2 is horrible, especially 1v1 fights that end in the most anti-climatic fashion with one button auto aim knifes. The game promotes turtling with the way a lot of the maps are setup in rush. Maps need a more open world structure than this false sense of open world with invisible boundary nonsense you get in BC2.

vanty said:
No Battlefield game has had good vehicle combat since 1942. Bad Company 2 is the best BF game since 1942 because vehicles are mostly useless .

mt1boi.jpg.jpg

Awesome.

nexen

vanty said:

vocab said:
Infantry combat in BC2 is horrible, especially 1v1 fights that end in the most anti-climatic fashion with one button auto aim knifes. The game promotes turtling with the way a lot of the maps are setup in rush. Maps need a more open world structure than this false sense of open world with invisible boundary nonsense you get in BC2.

Wow. I don't agree with either of you guys.

I think infantry combat in BC2 is
second
best because of the feel of the weapons and the feedback in the post f/x hud and audio. The only knifing that I usually see is when someone gets behind me and I didn't know about it.
Vehicles in BC2 are not useless. A tank or bradley rolling up on your base is a game changer when it is properly supported. Assault helicopters own as well but not in the gamebreaking way they did in the open BFV maps.

Rush is for turtling by definition. It's pure defense vs pure offense. Sounds like you just don't like that mode? ... so play conquest instead? (I prefer conquest too, but like Rush just fine)

I liked BFV infantry the best, but that was probably just because I was much better at it. Yeah, yeah - I know this will invalidate my opinion.

vocab

nexen said:
Rush is for turtling by definition. It's pure defense vs pure offense. Sounds like you just don't like that mode? ... so play conquest instead? (I prefer conquest too, but like Rush just fine)

I liked BFV infantry the best, but that was probably just because I was much better at it. Yeah, yeah - I know this will invalidate my opinion.

I don't like Conquest in BC2. Something about it doesn't work. Also vehicles aren't useless in BC2, just more fragile. Get a good pilot, and a good gunner, you will definitely win the game.

nexen

vocab said:
I don't like Conquest in BC2. Something about it doesn't work. Also vehicles aren't useless in BC2, just more fragile. Get a good pilot, and a good gunner, you will definitely win the game.
That we can agree on.
If nothing else this conversation has inspired me to install BFV and BF2142 again so see you online, I guess.

I Love DICE.

Red

Schmattakopf said:
It's probably safe to assume that no one plays these online anymore, right?
I've seen people on UaW pretty recently, but no one on Stormrise. UaW is actually pretty good. Stormrise is not. Playing Stormrise is like getting your nuts smashed in a butter churn; avoid it at all costs.

Crunched said:
I've seen people on UaW pretty recently, but no one on Stormrise. UaW is actually pretty good. Stormrise is not. Playing Stormrise is like getting your nuts smashed in a butter churn; avoid it at all costs.
I read a few posts from 2008 basically saying the online was dead for UaW. I guess I'll get it. I've been eying it since it came out. :lol

Red

Schmattakopf said:
I read a few posts from 2008 basically saying the online was dead for UaW. I guess I'll get it. I've been eying it since it came out. :lol
I'm not making any promises. I can tell you I got into a couple online matches a few months ago, but I may have just been lucky. Hopefully this sale increases the active community.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Schmattakopf said:

Even without multiplayer it's got a pretty good campaign mode.

vanty

nexen said:
Wow. I don't agree with either of you guys.

I think infantry combat in BC2 is
second
best because of the feel of the weapons and the feedback in the post f/x hud and audio. The only knifing that I usually see is when someone gets behind me and I didn't know about it.
Vehicles in BC2 are not useless. A tank or bradley rolling up on your base is a game changer when it is properly supported. Assault helicopters own as well but not in the gamebreaking way they did in the open BFV maps.

I say vehicles are useless compared to a real BF game. A lot of the time people will spawn at main (during a round, not at start), and run right past the tanks and APCs sitting there. I've never seen anyone waiting around for a vehicle to spawn apart from choppers. This is the exact opposite of other BFs. And now with the super tracer dart any team that isn't full of idiots will destroy any vehicle soon after it opens fire on your side.

I totally agree about BFV infantry by the way. Apart from destroying the amazing sniping from 1942 (to the point where I can't even remember anyone using sniper, M16 and friends were accurate enough at range), it was the best infantry combat of any game in the series. Well, it was after the M60 was patched :lol

Aon

Slavik81 said:
It's determined by the publisher.
Blur/GeoWars is Activision. The Sega pack is Sega.

Sorry, my wording was ambiguous. The advertisement for the Geometry Wars + Blur deal popped up on steam's launch, but the deal doesn't yet exist on the Australian store. You'd think they'd organise it such that it didn't happen, so that they got the maximum value from the advertisement.

What the hell? Team Fortress 2 just disappeared from my 'All Games' list..? Does anyone have this problem?

Edit: Just filed a ticket with support, we'll see what happens..

vanty

Banzaiaap said:
What the hell? Team Fortress 2 just disappeared from my 'All Games' list..? Does anyone have this problem?

I just opened Steam after closing it a couple hours ago, all categories are gone so all games are just in "Games". Favourites is still there, but only has a single game in it, which also happens to be the only non-Steam game I have in Steam at the moment. No idea if our problems are related, obviously your issue is 1000 times worse than mine.

vanty said:
I just opened Steam after closing it a couple hours ago, all categories are gone so all games are just in "Games". Favourites is still there, but only has a single game in it, which also happens to be the only non-Steam game I have in Steam at the moment. No idea if our problems are related, obviously your issue is 1000 times worse than mine.
Obviously! :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vigilant Walrus said:
I am going to get a half decent Laptop soon, and I was wondering about any big obvious games that have come out within the last 4-5 years on 360/PS3 where the PC version might be superior...

I was thinking about purchasing the PC version of;

Late but hey:

- Fallout 3 GOTY - Mods would make it worth buying again? - Yes, Yes yes yes.
- Oblivion - Mods would make it worth buying again? - Again, mods make a completely new game, repeatedly.
- Far Cry 2 - Better on PC? Yes, but only if you like FC2 enough.
- Braid - Higher resolutions and nicer to look at? - No, the game is exactly the same.
- Tom Clancy GRAW 1 and 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 - Better on PC? - Aside from higher res? Not much difference.
- Dead Space - Better on PC? - Yes, if you use a controller and kill vsync, not enough to double dip though.
- Borderlands - Better on PC? - Yes, stable FPS on a decent rig, nuff said.
- Splinter Cell Conviction - Better on PC? - YES! Look at the PC screenshot thread, NOW!

Maybe / Not sure:

- Just Cause 2 - very high system requirements? - Yep, but it is worth it.
- Assassins Creed 1 and 2 (problems with Mouse+Keyboard? DRM?) - Not played AC2 yet due to the DRM but AC 1 is a bit...dull.
- Mirrors Edge (would feel better with controller?) - Just buy it, seriously.
- GTA 4 + Expansions - Worried about the performance...:( - Don't worry too much, the FPS on even a half decent rig is far better than the console versions.
- Resident Evil 4 and 5 - High system requirements? - Avoid 4 PC, seriously. 5 is very system scalable.
- Devil May Cry 4 - hard to play with controller + mouse?[/QUOTE] - You really need a controller for this, but the PC port is amazing.

Shouldn´t the 2nd episode from Sam&Max (3.2) have pop yesterday???

It was my first episode release. I got the 3.1 last week. Will 3.2 be automaticallyn added to my game list or do I have to select it from the store?

Volcynika

Chiaroscuro said:
Shouldn´t the 2nd episode from Sam&Max (3.2) have pop yesterday???

It was my first episode release. I got the 3.1 last week. Will 3.2 be automaticallyn added to my game list or do I have to select it from the store?

Steam release was delayed till today, apparently. I gifted it to my brother and that's what he told me when I asked him about it yesterday afternoon.

iddqd

Banzaiaap said:

Same here, I hope its nothing but a glitch..

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
iddqd said:
Same here, I hope its nothing but a glitch..

If anything is up with Team Fortress 2 my guess is that the glitch is somehow connected to the rumoured Mac-release today. But that's what my inner voice of reason is telling me.

However, my current bug on Mac is that when I open the category "Favorites" all I get is two words: "It looks". Nothing else.

2ds95g.jpg

Javaman

mandiller said:
Ahaha. One of my best mates was hired to do play testing for that game. Yeah, it's pretty terribly apparently. Good ideas, bad execution.

It's a shame really. The game looked like it could be fun, but there's no way I'm going to waste my limited time if it's that buggy, regardless of the price. I scooped up Space Siege despite the reviews though. I think I can get well over 5$ worth of fun from it.

Sorry to crosspost, but I figure this is useful in this thread as well as the Mac Steam thread:

Gabe is appearing on one of my favorite podcasts, The Conversation, to talk about the future of gaming. Likely to be slanted a bit towards Mac talk, as John Siracusa (of Ars and his amazing OS X reviews fame) is the other guest.

Watch live @ 11:30ET: http://live.5by5.tv/
Podcast will be available here afterwards: http://5by5.tv/conversation

Twig

Banned
kinoki said:
If anything is up with Team Fortress 2 my guess is that the glitch is somehow connected to the rumoured Mac-release today. But that's what my inner voice of reason is telling me.

However, my current bug on Mac is that when I open the category "Favorites" all I get is two words: "It looks". Nothing else.

2ds95g.jpg
that is kind of creepy

}:

Salacious Crumb

PotatoeMasher said:
Sorry to crosspost, but I figure this is useful in this thread as well as the Mac Steam thread:

Gabe is appearing on one of my favorite podcasts, The Conversation, to talk about the future of gaming. Likely to be slanted a bit towards Mac talk, as John Siracusa (of Ars and his amazing OS X reviews fame) is the other guest.

Watch live @ 11:30ET: http://live.5by5.tv/
Podcast will be available here afterwards: http://5by5.tv/conversation

This has been very very interesting so far, the interview is much much broader than just macs, and is more a discussion about Steam in general and the interesting data that steam acquires.

WATCH IT.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"So Steam uses p2p downloads right?"

Wtf, I thought it was ridiculously obvious that it didn't. Way to be a uninformed interviewer. Gabe slaps the bitch down though.

Stallion Free said:
"So Steam uses p2p downloads right?"

Wtf, I thought it was ridiculously obvious that it didn't. Way to be a uninformed interviewer. Gabe slaps the bitch down though.

Yeah these guys are clearly not TOTALLY informed on some things.

A lot of people seem to think that because steam is a client you run on your pc that means it's peer2peer, i'm sure some of my friends thought that too at first.

Twig

Banned
"No Steam mods is a broken philosophy."

Not his exact wording, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, while talking about Mac environment vs. PC environment (that is to say, software): "PC is a much better platform." Out of context, this comment makes me laugh. I hope it makes it into a thread here at some point. So I can laugh more.

Salacious Crumb

Twig said:
"No Steam mods is a broken philosophy."

Not his exact wording, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, while talking about Mac environment vs. PC environment (that is to say, software): "PC is a much better platform." Out of context, this comment makes me laugh. I hope it makes it into a thread here at some point. So I can laugh more.

I'm pretty sure you could get a "Mac is a much better platform" sound bite out of it as well, which is even funnier, you know cause of the irony of that statement, no matter who says it :D.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Making it $15, which is a fine price for a well made racer.
Hmmm . . . but there is no online, right? Hmmmm.

Meh. I'd pick it up for $5 or maybe $7.50. I just picked up the entire Codemasters racing pack for $17.50 so it would seem silly to buy this for $15.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Volcynika said:
Zero online.
Anyone know how 4 player split screen works on this? Can you have two people on the same keyboard? Is keyboard even suitable as a controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom