• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone tried mr.robot? It's 30% off also and it looks kind of cool...

I played it on Gametap, it is a rather good RPG, kinda reminds of Mega Man Battle Network actually.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
With DLC, Valve really needs to let us make our own catagories in "My Games" other than favourite, installed and not installed. I'm thinking DLC, Classics and Indie as extra catagories.

McBacon said:
With DLC, Valve really needs to let us make our own catagories in "My Games" other than favourite, installed and not installed. I'm thinking DLC, Classics and Indie as extra catagories.

I agree, it would be a great idea. Many have brought it up on the official forums but so far it hasn't been added.

suikodan

I have a retail UT3. I've installed it via the disc and did the trick so that the game is in Steam's list while being somewhere else on my HDD. However, its status is "pre-installed" and if I click on it, it wants me to buy it. If I go and activate the CD-Key, it says that the servers are busy.

Help?

Oreoleo

suikodan said:
I have a retail UT3. I've installed it via the disc and did the trick so that the game is in Steam's list while being somewhere else on my HDD. However, its status is "pre-installed" and if I click on it, it wants me to buy it. If I go and activate the CD-Key, it says that the servers are busy.

Help?

It looks like there's a couple people on the UT3 Steam forum with the same problem and no solution. I suggest sending an email to Valve support. They'll get you sorted out, even if it takes 3 or 4 days.

Mrbob

Looking at the top sellers on steam right now, CoD4 is number 8 and WaW is 10....I'm never going to see a price drop on CoD4 stop buying it people. :lol

Remy

Mrbob said:
Looking at the top sellers on steam right now, CoD4 is number 8 and WaW is 10....I'm never going to see a price drop on CoD4 stop buying it people. :lol

They did a weekend deal ($10 off) on it May of last year...chances are reasonable that it might happen again at some point this year, I'd hope.

Volcynika

I mentioned it in the weekend deal thread, but:

To celebrate the recent huge multiplayer update, Buccaneer — The Pursuit of Infamy is 50% off for two weeks.

Now Powered by GameSpy and using their new matchmaking technology, hosting and playing a multiplayer game could not be easier. Anyone may now host a game without fuss — simply click "Host Game" and your server is up! And to compliment this update, we are giving away ALL multiplayer maps FREE to anyone who downloads the demo! So assemble your fleet, roll out your guns and set sail in the pursuit of infamy!

Offer ends April 17th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23100/

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
50% off of all the "Strategy First" games until the 13th.

I always meant to search on NeoGAF and see if anyone else played it...DID anyone else ever play Culpa Innata? I actually was quite impressed at the effort they spent trying to make history for their postmodern world. It's a decent point-and-click adventure, despite there probably being some typos or maybe bugs on occasion.

Also it's rated M and features a lot of sexual content in text, but you only get to have sex with a dude once as far as I know, and it's not graphic (you appear in your underwear afterwards so you can
steal the intelligence

I paid too much for the game originally, but I'd definitely play a sequel, which they were apparently planning.

Remy

Javaman said:

If you folks haven't bought SlamIt Pinball Big Score yet, this makes it $2.50. No brainer for pinball fans.

Minsc

Gold Member
Doytch said:
Not buying anything from Strategy First after the bullshit that was/is JA2 and Disciples II on Steam.

I heard about the JA2 problems (which were finally fixed), but never heard about Disciples II (incredible game). Probably won't since I don't frequent this thread very often. :lol

klez

Javaman said:

Anyone have impressions for Perimeter 2? The perimeter series have some very interesting premises but I've never tried the first one. I know the first one is in GOG and am planing to get it, if not for the weekend deals between steam, gamersgate and gog...

Doytch

Volcynika said:
Elaborate, if you could. (Just wondering)

Shitload of compatibility problems with WXP and I assume Vista also. When I got it and had problems, I checked the Steam forums and found a tonne of people having the same issues. SF basically ignored the whole thing and never bothered to update it.

Quick check shows that Valve dropped the original version of JA2 from Steam, and replaced it with JA2: Gold. I guess this solves the problem for new buyers, but I'm still fucked. Might try emailing Valve some time about this, though I hear their customer support is pretty shitty so I'm not sure how that'll go.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Definitely getting FlatOut this time.

I was also thinking about Making History: The Calm and The Storm, which sounds like a neat turn based strategy game, but I can't figure out whether the Steam release is the Gold edition. That's not in the title, but I don't see any info at the official forums.

Anyone have any insight?

edit: It's not the Gold edition, and there's no download patch to get it there. Screw that.

Javaman

Doytch said:
Shitload of compatibility problems with WXP and I assume Vista also. When I got it and had problems, I checked the Steam forums and found a tonne of people having the same issues. SF basically ignored the whole thing and never bothered to update it.

Quick check shows that Valve dropped the original version of JA2 from Steam, and replaced it with JA2: Gold. I guess this solves the problem for new buyers, but I'm still fucked. Might try emailing Valve some time about this, though I hear their customer support is pretty shitty so I'm not sure how that'll go.

I could have sworn I picked up the original JA2 but it's now showing up as JA2 Gold. Have you tried re-downloading it?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
rezuth said:
Everyone buy atleast one FlatOut game, best racing games ever.

Yep, FlatOut is fucking awesome. Better and less derivative than its name would suggest. And the party stunt mode is some of the best drunk fun ever with a few friends.

FatalT

Banned
I bought FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage. $10 isn't bad for a fun arcadey racer. Looks like you can get both FlatOut 1 and 2 for $7.50. I'm probably good with just getting the new one though.

Doytch

Javaman said:
I could have sworn I picked up the original JA2 but it's now showing up as JA2 Gold. Have you tried re-downloading it?

No, I deleted it at one point and never bothered again. I'll check when I get home.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
FatalT said:
I bought FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage. $10 isn't bad for a fun arcadey racer. Looks like you can get both FlatOut 1 and 2 for $7.50. I'm probably good with just getting the new one though.

They tend to be more iterative than actual sequels, really. So yeah, UC is the one to go for.

Til FlatOut 3, anyways.

tmaynard

Remy said:
If you folks haven't bought SlamIt Pinball Big Score yet, this makes it $2.50. No brainer for pinball fans.

Just played about an hour of it and it's probably the hardest pinball game I've ever played.

When I get a high score, it doesn't even feel like I earned it. Like it's a game of chance or something.

Kinda feels like something is "off". Like I can't control where I want the pinball to go at all.

I'm hoping there is just an odd learning curve specific to this game, because it seems very solid in every other aspect.

Qwell

Just an FYI but it looks like Target has done a price drop on Left 4 Dead PC, only $29.99 now so I finally picked it up. Been waiting for another Steam sale but this worked just as well.

rass

Qwell said:
Just an FYI but it looks like Target has done a price drop on Left 4 Dead PC, only $29.99 now so I finally picked it up. Been waiting for another Steam sale but this worked just as well.
If you buy the retail boxed version of a game, can you play against the people who got it on steam? (New to PC gaming)

dLMN8R

iam.rass said:
If you buy the retail boxed version of a game, can you play against the people who got it on steam? (New to PC gaming)
Yeah, of course you can. Buying a Valve game at retail is 100% identical to buying a Valve game on Steam - the only difference is where you get the content from. Heck, you could simply input your CD key and download the entire thing from Steam if you wished to do so.

Same holds true for all Steamworks games - Dawn of War II, Fear 2, and a few others.

But even "regular" games - say, Call of Duty 4. Even though Call of Duty 4 isn't a Steamworks game - you can't register a retail copy with Steam and download the game through Steam - everyone still plays on the same game servers. The only difference is distribution/activation method.

Same as, say, Burnout Paradise on PS3.

iam.rass said:

The retail version is the exact same thing. You don't even need to pop in the disc if you don't want to, although it does ofcourse speed up installation.

Edit: God damn it, mere seconds too late!

MNC

Qwell said:
Steam is 30$ as well o_O has been for quite some time

tmaynard

Just as a precaution, Big Score Pinball has a recurring crash that will close out the game and disable the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del).

The only way to fix it is to edit registry settings. A pain in the ass.

Happened to me on both of my computers, within the first 30 minutes. Just connected the dots earlier today.

I wouldn't suggest anyone purchase the game until they patch it. Actually, for $2.50, you could go ahead and buy it and then just hope they patch it. :lol

It's a really fun game, but it's too much of a hassle to edit registry settings every single time the game crashes. (Which seems to be every single time you run it, around 30 minutes in.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom