• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
The benefit of these guides are typically that they are in print and in front of you. I can't imagine why I would ever want to buy a digital version of a Prima guide, especially at those prices.

Yea there are quite a few more in the registry. D2D has them as well. Valve will most likely begin including them in pre-purchase offers as bonuses. I.E., Splinter Cell regular edition for $50 without the guide or $60 with the guide.

Atrophis

Bah knew there would be a sale on the Total War games. Cannot resist!

Been wanting to play this series since getting obssessed with the Shogun: TW demo and playing it over and over. Why i have waited this long to actually buy one of them im not entirely sure :lol

My bad, no more listed at this time. What are listed are the actual games included with the guides themselves. No price is listed yet.

Edit: Far Cry 2, Ghostbusters will have guides.

Minsc

Gold Member
Basileus777 said:
The benefit of these guides are typically that they are in print and in front of you. I can't imagine why I would ever want to buy a digital version of a Prima guide, especially at those prices.

Steam could always integrate them in to the overlay, if you purchase it through steam, wouldn't be the same but it would help!

MDSLKTR

I hope those guides don't count as part of steam sales or promotions now. Youtube, wikigames and gamefaqs are two clicks away.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
LovingSteam said:
My bad, no more listed at this time. What are listed are the actual games included with the guides themselves. No price is listed yet.

Does the guide tell you how to fix the flat out broken mouse acceleration?

LovingSteam said:

As an owner of those games, will I get the guides?

Edit: Never mind. I thought older games might get the guides for free.

Edit: I think the Counter-Strike Beta is now open to the public. That game needs better textures & world models.

Tain

Sorry if this has been covered, but I remember someone back during the new Steam UI beta mentioning that there was a way to remove the game icon images in the game list.

Can anyone point me to how to do this? I've got so many HL1 mods and shortcuts in my list that have no icons or ugly icons and I want something more compressed either way. Shit's still too big, even in list mode.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Tain said:
Sorry if this has been covered, but I remember someone back during the new Steam UI beta mentioning that there was a way to remove the game icon images in the game list.

Can anyone point me to how to do this? I've got so many HL1 mods and shortcuts in my list that have no icons or ugly icons and I want something more compressed either way. Shit's still too big, even in list mode.
Like this?
2wrky0o.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Dice said:
PC is taking over my gaming. How?

Well why would I go out to the store to buy a game that would make me have to switch my monitor and sound over to PS3, boot up my PS3, load the game into the system, play in 30fps 720p and a crappy online network when I could instead just download a game, only have to boot it up, play at 60fps 1080p 4xAA on an awesome online network?

the sooner people begin to see consoles for the ultimate step in drm (i.e one that effectively underclocks the shit out of your processor, dials your gpu back a generation, shuts out all potential for community expansion and leaves you with only the default control scheme) the better.

makes ubi's online only shit look positively altruistic. atleast they don't charge $300 for the privilege.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
speculawyer said:
Edit: I think the Counter-Strike Beta is now open to the public. That game needs better textures & world models.
Don't get your hopes up. The community has never had an interest in graphics and Valve doesn't seem to be in any rush to improve them. And honestly, if you are paying attention to the graphics in CS, you are playing it wrong.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ghst said:
the sooner people begin to see consoles for the ultimate step in drm (i.e one that effectively underclocks the shit out of your processor, dials your gpu back a generation, shuts out all potential for community expansion and leaves you with only the default control scheme) the better.

makes ubi's online only shit look positively altruistic. atleast they don't charge $300 for the privilege.

What the hell?

graywolf323

so wait Prima seriously expects people to pay $20 for the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 guide when it's MSRP for the retail version is $15? :lol

shouldn't digital guides be cheaper? :lol

:lol :lol :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Basileus777 said:
If you have a dual screen then you could put the guide up and play at the same time.

Hahaha just saw the strategy guides today. I looked at the Dragon Age: Origins page, and it was $49.98

Im in Australia and if I wanted to buy the game on its own, it costs $69.99

Unintentional sale. Woo

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I also picked up Jade Empire. At first it didn't seem to be using my video card but after editing the config and a reboot (of my whole computer, weird) it's cool. Could be even better if it got a patch for multicore support, but that's never happening. The visuals still look good because they're so stylized. Why don't more devs take an alternative (to photorealism) art direction?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SapientWolf said:
If you have a dual screen then you could put the guide up and play at the same time.
It would be so awesome if you could do this with intelligent linking, so as you reach new checkpoints the guide jumps to where you are.

Actually, why don't they do that already? Set a guide button on your keyboard to flip to the guide screen with this sort of deal. Come on people, we have technology! Use it!

epmode

Tain said:
I don't get the same sorting options that way, though. I like the list view, just not the icons.
There's a little + in the upper-right of your games list. You can turn off the icons there.

Dice said:
I also picked up Jade Empire. At first it didn't seem to be using my video card but after editing the config and a reboot (of my whole computer, weird) it's cool. Could be even better if it got a patch for multicore support, but that's never happening. The visuals still look good because they're so stylized. Why don't more devs take an alternative (to photorealism) art direction?
Jade Empire is a Bioware RPG that got really high marks from critics. However, it bombed in the market. I guess the Eastern setting just didn't click with people.

Mrbob

LovingSteam said:
Yea there are quite a few more in the registry. D2D has them as well. Valve will most likely begin including them in pre-purchase offers as bonuses. I.E., Splinter Cell regular edition for $50 without the guide or $60 with the guide.

I hope not. These are terrible pre order incentives versus money off or another game included.

speculawyer said:
Jade Empire is a Bioware RPG that got really high marks from critics. However, it bombed in the market. I guess the Eastern setting just didn't click with people.
It's one of my favorite games ever, and I'm pretty sure it did not bomb.

Mrbob

Shard said:
How convenient is when GameFAQS and Youtube are just a few prompts away?

I would also argue these are less convenient than buying a book from the store since you have to leave your program to look at the guide. You can play a game and page through the guide book at the same time.

Mrbob said:
I would also argue these are less convenient than buying a book from the store since you have to leave your program to look at the guide. You can play a game and page through the guide book at the same time.
Using the Steam Web Browser in the Overlay is good enough for me.

UrbanRats said:
Screw the Total War mega pack, i've taken the SEGA complete super duper collection. :lol
shitload of stuff.
I'm glad that some people are appreciating that Sega pack. It just didn't have the kind of games I was interested in.

I want to see Ubisoft do a big sale. They seem to have the biggest catalog on Steam. (Ignore the Railworks spam.)

JDSN said:
Altitude is pretty damn great, ill buy this at a low price. :D
Yeah, it is a fun little SHMUP. Worth the $5.

UrbanRats

speculawyer said:
I'm glad that some people are appreciating that Sega pack. It just didn't have the kind of games I was interested in.
Well, mainly, i'm interested in the Total War stuff, but i like Outrun, Sonic Racing, etc also.

I would like to see a Bethesda pack sooner or later.

Konosuke

Caoz said:
I just received my dualshock to usb adaptor from amazon. So I just plugged in my old PS2 dualshock and started playing kinda properly for the first time my Street Fighter 4 copy I got from the steam holiday sale.
I am having lots of troubles setting up the button configuration and I am sure someone here could point me out to some tools that will make it easier. I remember that a program for configuring the buttons has been mentioned here before. But can't remember the name. Thanks in advance.
Xpadder? I forgot if SFIV uses XInput, but since it is a GFW game i think it does. In that case this X360 controller emulator might do the trick. After configuring you just have to copy & paste the XInput.dll to the game folder. You can even get rumble out of it :D

I really do hope Capcom releases SSFIV as soon as possible. That Character Select Theme is awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
Is the declined credit card the thing where every single purchase you have to get a support ticket to make them reenable your card? Or was that only the thing where you change addresses and get a permanent fraudulent flag on your account?

My support issues have usually been resolved in a day or two, but I'm glad I don't think my card got declined during frequent holiday sale purchases. The worst would be if you're like speculawyer -- didn't his account get completely disabled for several days because of him trying to use his credit card and gifting things to people? It's fixed now and he loves Steam, but still. Valve is like Google and is getting too much power! *tinfoilhat etc.*

Zzoram

Dice said:

I bought JE on xmas sale but never played it. Maybe I should, but I'd rather play Starcraft II.

Salsa

Altitude is great. Does the ping really affect the game ? im playing in US servers with 200+ and i think it plays fine.

chixdiggit

Having problems getting Sonic and Sega racing to run. Every time I try to launch I get a .exe has stopped working error. Any suggestions? Windows 7 64

ArjanN

poppabk said:
Does the guide tell you how to fix the flat out broken mouse acceleration?

Maybe they could do a chapter about the fatal crashes half the people playing the game get, making the game literally unfinishable.

Diablohead said:
Going by the "screenshots" it's a website you log into, some way or another.

It looks to be web-based and integrated into the steam overlay. As in you click and icon and it pops up. Pretty nifty, I would never use it but there are people out there who still buy strategy guides for whatever reason despite FAQs out there (these do look a lot nicer than any of the free stuff out there)

Hell, if there was a guide for a very technical game or a guide for a game's editor (Neverwinter Nights comes to mind) and I saw it on steam for $10, I'd probably pick it up.

Rhythmic

chixdiggit said:
Having problems getting Sonic and Sega racing to run. Every time I try to launch I get a .exe has stopped working error. Any suggestions? Windows 7 64

I had that same problem same os.

I had to turn my audio quality down to 24 bit 48000htz and it worked like a charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom