• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

Basileus777 said:
The benefit of these guides are typically that they are in print and in front of you. I can't imagine why I would ever want to buy a digital version of a Prima guide, especially at those prices.

Tangent:
Somebody needs to make a Gamefaqs app for iPad. Reading the site via browser is good and all, but many of the app'd sites improve the presentation.

Also Gamefaqs is a smelly hellhole that hasn't had a major redesign in like a decade. Sorta like IMDB (but they do have a decent app).

chixdiggit

White Man said:
Tangent:

Also Gamefaqs is a smelly hellhole that hasn't had a major redesign in like a decade. Sorta like IMDB (but they do have a decent app).

I agree that it's a smelly hellhole (forums) but disagree that it needs a redesign. It's simple and everybody knows how to use it. It's the same reason they don't change Craigs List.

Twig

Banned
Basileus777 said:
The benefit of these guides are typically that they are in print and in front of you. I can't imagine why I would ever want to buy a digital version of a Prima guide, especially at those prices.
Being able to see them just by opening the overlay is nearly as good and buying them off steam is much more convenient.

That said, I have no interest in buying them. I can find all that information on the internet for free! It might be a little more work, but, uh, whatever.

Oreoleo

LovingSteam said:
F.E.A.R. 1 collection is coming to Steam.

Screw the other guy in that other thread that said FEAR 1 sucked. I still have all 5 CD's of my retail copy and i can not WAIT to re-buy it on Steam
for a low price

That's going to include the 2 expansions isn't it? never got a chance to play those.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Orellio said:
Screw the other guy in that other thread that said FEAR 1 sucked. I still have all 5 CD's of my retail copy and i can not WAIT to re-buy it on Steam
for a low price

That's going to include the 2 expansions isn't it? never got a chance to play those.
The expansions are decent if you are a big fan of the series, but don't expect to be blown away. Extraction Point does have it's moments. I can't wait to rebuy on Steam as well though.

Orellio said:
for a low price

Yea, the 2 expansions will be part of it.

Vandiger

Orellio said:
for a low price

Don't bother the expansions suck.

LovingSteam said:
F.E.A.R. 1 collection is coming to Steam.
I hope they'll accept the fear 1 key. I have that on disk too.

They accept the fear 2 key.

I never played it but I still want to add it to my steam list due to OCD.

speculawyer said:
I hope they'll accept the fear 1 key. I have that on disk too.

They accept the fear 2 key.

This is almost 100% not going to happen. They very VERY VERY rarely go accept a key from a game that wasn't available on Steam upon release.

I didn't see this posted yet:

New Release - The Stronghold Collection
Product Release - Valve 18:58

You can now enjoy the complete medieval experience in The Stronghold Collection, featuring five real-time strategy games. This fantastic package comes to Steam from 2K Games and FireFly Studios and includes Stronghold, Stronghold 2, Stronghold Crusader, Stronghold Crusader Extreme and Stronghold Legends.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3851/

SalsaShark said:
Altitude is great. Does the ping really affect the game ? im playing in US servers with 200+ and i think it plays fine.
I'm surprised how much well done games can handle bad latency. I played some L4D2 with some gaffers in South America and it worked surprising well. (The server was down there.)

Interview with Gabe which is simply awesome.

* He discusses the future of content
* He describes Valve's view of the community and its significance
* Move onto the Mac
* Having the small developers keep their IP's. Instead of going to the bank to fund projects,
have customers fund projects.
* Much more

Aon said:
Interview is most notable for "Steam plugins coming".

Yup, was just going to post that. Gabe admits its Valves own shortcoming and not a decision to keep Steam closed. He states they should and will look into releasing the Steam SDK. God I love Valve.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LovingSteam said:
Yup, was just going to post that. Gabe admits its Valves own shortcoming and not a decision to keep Steam closed. He states they should and will look into releasing the Steam SDK. God I love Valve.
Yes please for the love of God just let me doublesize Steam and its microscopic text.

Dice

Okay I have a possibly silly question: Are FMVs not included in Steam games?

In L4D it always seemed like there was supposed to be more story than there was, and now in Jade Empire it seems like something REALLY AWESOME just happened and I didn't see any of it.

-edit-
Okay well youtube has shown me that I DID miss something really awesome. What's the deal?

Dice said:

In L4D it always seemed like there was supposed to be more story than there was, and now in Jade Empire it seems like something REALLY AWESOME just happened and I didn't see any of it.
The games are the same as retail.

L4D just isn't really a story game . . . it is just action.

Rufus

Dice said:
What? No. Make sure it's not a problem on your end. But first make sure that there are any FMVs. Haven't played either of them, but I can't imagine L4D having any FMVs or cut-scenes in general, for that matter.

Dice

Okay I found the setting in the config file. For some reason it was set to not play any movies.

MNC

With open sourcing, don't you get alot of different versions of the same program, (some) with bells and whistles which makes the programs themselves incompatible with eachother?
'oooh im rocking this image sending steam man you should get it too'
'naw i already use this version that enables webcam chat'

or am I completely missing the point?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dunno what that arcstech guy was doing in that interview, thought he may have been smarter than that :lol

Cool interview though.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You now own Medieval II: Total War, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Rome: Total War Gold Edition, Rome: Total War - Alexander, Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms, Sega Rally, Universe at War: Earth Assault, The Club, Empire: Total War, Empire: Total War, Space Siege, Empire: Total War - Special Forces Unit, Empire: Total War - Dahomey Amazons Unit, Empire: Total War - Death's Head Hussars Unit, Empire: Total War - USS Constitution Unit, Empire Total War: Elite Units of the West, Total War™ - Downloadable Content Pack, Empire: Total War - Elite Units of America DLC, Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the East, Stormrise, Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens vs Predator, Virtua Tennis 2009, Aliens vs Predator Swarm Map Pack, Football Manager 2010, Napoleon: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Aliens vs Predator Dedicated Server, Napoleon: Total War - Coalition Battle Pack, Vancouver 2010: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Winter Games, Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing.

Yes, I went there. I couldn't resist any longer. VM will most certainly be wondering why I have suddenly downloaded around 70GB today though :D

Dice said:

-edit-
Okay well youtube has shown me that I DID miss something really awesome. What's the deal?
You're playing L4D wrong.

panda21

MmmSkyscraper said:
YOUR SOUL

well obviously, but is it for steamworks game developers or the UI or in game overlay or what? i'm struggling to see what you would actually use a plugin for but then in never use any of the social stuff in steam anyway.

FlawlessCowboy said:
You can't buy them individually? Man, that sucks. Stronghold 1 was a gem IMO. Everything else? Not so much.
Stronghold Crusader is even better imho! Crusader Extreme puts this to a new level of mass armies :lol

Stronghold 2 wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either. The controls were stupid though. Legends was shit, I'll give you that.

Great move of Firefly to release this now a week after the Stronghold 3 Announcement :)

But 29bucks is too much imho. Will buy the Collection for 5€ since I own all of the except Legends.

poweld

Stop It said:
You now own Medieval II: Total War, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Rome: Total War Gold Edition, Rome: Total War - Alexander, Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms, Sega Rally, Universe at War: Earth Assault, The Club, Empire: Total War, Empire: Total War, Space Siege, Empire: Total War - Special Forces Unit, Empire: Total War - Dahomey Amazons Unit, Empire: Total War - Death's Head Hussars Unit, Empire: Total War - USS Constitution Unit, Empire Total War: Elite Units of the West, Total War™ - Downloadable Content Pack, Empire: Total War - Elite Units of America DLC, Empire: Total War™ - Elite Units of the East, Stormrise, Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens vs Predator, Virtua Tennis 2009, Aliens vs Predator Swarm Map Pack, Football Manager 2010, Napoleon: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Aliens vs Predator Dedicated Server, Napoleon: Total War - Coalition Battle Pack, Vancouver 2010: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Winter Games, Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing.

Yes, I went there. I couldn't resist any longer. VM will most certainly be wondering why I have suddenly downloaded around 70GB today though :D
Stop It
Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
(Today, 07:46 AM)
Reply | Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom