• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
someone should do a feature on railworks and its dlc and the people that buy it. when you say railworks 99.9% of steam users will know exactly what you're talking about, yet i'm sure less than .01% have ever played it.

SEGA has announced that classic Mega Drive games are going to make an appearance on PC.

They'll be in all their old clothes and cost £2/€2.50/AUD 3.50 each.

Those confirmed are Golden Axe, Ecco the Dolphin, Comix Zone and Vectorman.

Steam is the only confirmed platform so far. The games will appear there on 1st June.

Source

AstroLad said:
someone should do a feature on railworks and its dlc and the people that buy it. when you say railworks 99.9% of steam users will know exactly what you're talking about, yet i'm sure less than .01% have ever played it.

Train people scare me. I was watching youtube videos of it once, and I just couldn't grasp how anyone could enjoy the game for longer than 10 minutes. Hell, you can't even crash the trains, well, you can, but 3 seconds after the crash, before you can see your train fly all over the countryside, a huge "Game Over Error" screen pops up. Game Over Error? It's like they didn't even expect that anyone could find a way to lose. The only way I could see this game working is if it had like Crysis level ultra realistic graphics, so at least it would be pretty to look at, but it looks like shit; hell, there's only like 4 different models of passengers.

Edgeward

Dammit, they should start with Saturn and DC games cause unless they have some new features integrated into them, there is no reason to ever get ports that have been done to death. Having Shining Force 3 running without it having random hiccups or randomly erasing my save would be great.

Psy-Phi

John said:
Hm, does PB Winterbottom support 360 pads?
Yes, but it does not change the on screen buttons to match, they stay keyboard. Not too big of a deal if you have a memory though. Just a bit longer of a learning curve. Helps that there's only a few buttons :p.

Steam just dropped the price of some Ubisoft titles in the UK.

Some pretty crappy titles, at pretty expensive prices.

To save anyone bothering looking:

Prince of Persia®
Released: 10 Dec 2008
The critically acclaimed Prince of Persia® franchise returns for the first time on next-generation platforms with an all-new epic journey.
£14.99 ADD TO CART

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway™
Released: 8 Oct 2008
Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway brings the critically acclaimed squad-based WWII shooter into the next generation of gaming with amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features and a totally redesigned online component.
£14.99 ADD TO CART

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®
Released: 1 Apr 2008
Infiltrate terrorists' positions, acquire critical intelligence by any means necessary, execute with extreme prejudice, and exit without a trace! You are Sam Fisher, a highly trained secret operative of the NSA's secret arm: Third Echelon.
£4.99 ADD TO CART

Tom Clancy's EndWar™
Released: 26 Feb 2009
Live the thrilling career of an army commander and lead your army to victory in a massive online World War III! Take control of the U.S.
£14.99 ADD TO CART

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X™
Released: 18 Mar 2009
The setting is 2012. As the era of the nation-state draws quickly to a close, the rules of warfare evolve even more rapidly.
£14.99 ADD TO CART

Heroes Over Europe
Released: 23 Sep 2009
The sequel to the 2005 World War II flight combat game Heroes of the Pacific, Heroes over Europe takes aspiring combat pilots into the bullet-ridden heart of major World War II air battles in glorious high definition.
£19.99 ADD TO CART

Heroes of Might and Magic® V: Tribes of the East
Released: 10 Oct 2008
For the first time, play as the Orc faction and recruit heroes, build armies and manage cities as you explore and conquer legendary lands.
£6.99 ADD TO CART

Wheelman
Released: 2 Apr 2009
Combining spectacular Hollywood-style stunts with a gripping storyline, Wheelman provides an adrenaline-fueled, cinematic thrill ride guaranteed to leave you breathless.
£14.99 ADD TO CART

CSI: NY® - The Game
Released: 27 Aug 2009
For the first time ever, immerse yourself in the world of CSI: NY. Experience four original cases written by CSI writers and solve mysteries alongside your favorite characters from the hit TV crime show.
£9.99 ADD TO CART

Grey's Anatomy: The Video Game
Released: 12 Mar 2009
Immerse yourself for the first time in the world of “Grey's Anatomy” as Seattle Grace Hospital is struck by one of the worst crises in the hospital's history. Will these events decide the fate of its staff and patients, or will you?
£14.99

Twig

Banned
It's a pretty decent game. Nothing fantastic, though.

Biggest annoyance for me is having to unlock literally almost everything. Fuck unlocking things in multiplayer games.

eznark

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I guess I wouldn't download a free game if I only had three hours of Internet left on my AOL account, too.
If I'm just going to download and delete it, what's the point? I certainly didn't download MW2 for the free weekend.

Dynoro said:
Until you have played it; how do you know its bad?
Coming-to-America-em13.jpg

eznark said:
I had zero interest in the game, why bother since I knew I would never buy it.
But you have enough of a spark of interest in Altitude to ask about it, so why not just download the free game instead of asking a bunch of people who probably don't share your exact tastes if something you don't pay for is worth not paying for?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Dynoro said:
Until you have played it; how do you know its bad?
It is, literally, Modern Warfare 2. It's like asking how do you know Doom 2 is going to be an awesome game. (Here's a hint: It's the same game with small tweaks)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wasn't a big fan of Altitude either, but mostly because I'm anal about widescreen gaming. No big deal though, it was pretty cheap during the indie sale a few months back.

All Points Bulletin up for pre-purchase for $49.95

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57500/

Pre-Purchase now to receive the following special items:

* Key to the City: June 10-19 – Includes 5 Hours of district gameplay and unlimited social gameplay
* 3 Days Early Game Access – Includes 10 Hours of district gameplay and unlimited social gameplay.
* 7 Exclusive In Game Items – Includes the Chicken and Strike a Pose Emote's, Criminal and Enforcer Cars, Criminal and CSA Outfit's along with a Pioneer Decal!

eznark said:
If I'm just going to download and delete it, what's the point? I certainly didn't download MW2 for the free weekend.

Modern Warfare 2 = 11 Gbs
Altitude = 200 Mbs

GET ALTITUDE...

It's worth both, the Free Weekend and the 5 bucks

Psy-Phi said:
Yes, but it does not change the on screen buttons to match, they stay keyboard. Not too big of a deal if you have a memory though. Just a bit longer of a learning curve. Helps that there's only a few buttons :p.
Yeah, developers need to fix this. And it is a really trivial thing to fix.

In particular, I am pissed off that in Rocket Knight it tells me that the controllers is the best way to play but then when I play with a controller it keeps telling me the keyboard commands. Ever time it teaches me new moves, I have to fumble around and guess as to what it is talking about.

eznark

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But you have enough of a spark of interest in Altitude to ask about it, so why not just download the free game instead of asking a bunch of people who probably don't share your exact tastes if something you don't pay for is worth not paying for?
I didn't check how big it was or I would have. I just saw it sitting in my Steam account and had this thread open.

It's not the installing, it's that I know I'll never get around to uninstalling the damn thing.

52club

I didn't like Altitude until I hooked up a 360 controller. At the $5 price point with a 360 controller for me it was about a 9.0 out of 10. A couple of disclaimers are I had to manually tweak a few settings on my router, and it is multiplayer only.

I'm surprised it hasn't seen a PSN or XBL release. Console gamers would love it. Maybe it is just me, but it kind of feels like more of a console game anyway. I don't mean that in a bad way either.

I've put 15 hours into Altitude. It's an awesome little game and the matches, especially the soccer mode, can get very intense. Great variety of planes and weapons too, and extremely balanced as well. I highly recommend it, especially if you're looking for a good netbook/laptop game.

New post on the Official Steam Blog about Mac version of Steam:

Valve said:
Mac Steam content in the Documents folder? Not for long.
Steam Blog - Valve

Since we launched Steam for the Mac a little over a week ago, one of the biggest complaints we have gotten is that we put game content into a "Steam Content" subfolder in the Documents folder. This interferes with how many of our users backup their files, who want to be able to back up their entire Documents folder with Time Machine, Dropbox, or some other software, but who do not want to back up all of their game content. Additionally, many users simply don't like seeing files they don't directly interact with in such a visible location.

So we thought we'd take a moment to tell you why we decided on the Documents folder in the first place, and what we plan to do about it.

Our original inclination was to put game content under "~/Library/Application Support/Steam", along with the other support files Steam uses. The problem is that uninstalling an application is meant to be as simple as dragging it from the Applications folder into the Trash. However, uninstalling Steam this way will leave all of your game content on the drive, which could easily be quite a few gigabytes of wasted space. Our solution was to put the content in a very visible and often used location so users could easily find and delete the game data if they didn't want it anymore. That's right, we chose the Documents folder specifically because it was visible and often used -- the very reasons users don't want it there.

We've taken your emails and forum posts to heart, and we've come up with a different solution for users who uninstall Steam. We are working adding a feature to Steam to detect when you drag it to the Trash, and ask you if you want to delete your game content files as well. This will allow us to put your game content in an non-intrusive location. In an ideal world we would let you choose where the game content files are located, and in the long term that is a goal of ours, but due to architectural issues with our engine this is not as trivial as it may sound.

As soon as the feature to help users uninstall Steam completely when they drag it to the Trash is complete, we will be moving the game content folder into "~/Library/Application Support/Steam".

I wonder if this also applies to the Windows version of Steam?

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
I wonder if this also applies to the Windows version of Steam?
Oh man, I hope so. That's still the biggest benefit I see to using Impulse over Steam.
Mrbob said:
Now I want the NOLF Collection. *cries*
Would buy with the fury of a thousand suns.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
poweld said:
Stop It
Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
(Today, 07:46 AM)
Reply | Quote
Eek, I think that's only my 2nd ever tag quote. (well of this tag anyway)

What's worse is that there isn't a single fishing game on Steam, otherwise I would have it by now.

Anyway my game count on Steam is up to 135 games. I...must stop.

I'm not buying the FEAR Collection until someone confirms that saves from the disc version are compatible. I'm halfway through the campaign and don't want to start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom