• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
despite my repeated, numerous times telling him, my friend won't redeem his copy of torchlight. So I'm giving it away to the first person who PMs me their steam name and promises to download it and play it until you beat it!

Was the SteamPlay Indie pack just a special? They didn't indicate that. I would have bought if I knew it was just a limited time offer. :-(

Ack!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
Was the SteamPlay Indie pack just a special? They didn't indicate that. I would have bought if I knew it was just a limited time offer. :-(

Ack!

Of course it was a special, that pack was too good to stick around, i think it was 5 games for 20 or something. Anyway i'm sorry for your loss.

Ledsen

speculawyer said:

Ack!

Yeah and the god damn Telltale Steam Pack 1 was also a special >_< I already have Sam & Max S1-2 so I don't want Steam Pack 2, but I would've bought Pack 1... Damn Telltale >-<

Blizzard

Banned
I think I'm gonna get the $5 altitude game. It seems to have been made by a small team, supports configurable controls, fullscreen and windowed mode, gamepad, keyboard, steam achievements, lots of unlockables and options, maybe dedicated servers, and it seems pretty polished. Oh, and I guess Mac + Windows multiplayer. Even if I don't play it much, it seems like a nice game/developer to support. :D

I wonder if PopCap is going to allow more of their old games become 'SteamPlay' so you can play on both the mac & PC. I know the Peggle games, Plants v. Zombies, and others are available on the Mac . . . but not on Steam.

The have made Zuma Deluxe and Escape from Rosecliff Island available on the Mac . . . but I want the big guns. Give me Peggle!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
hamchan said:
This thread has been spared from the dreaded |OT| it seems.
Wait, what's with the |OT|? Is it supposed to make it easier to search for Official Threads?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
PedroLumpy said:
The way you think it sounds and the way it is are pretty far off.

Were you in the beta? Have any impressions to share if you were? If you can.

Looking at the gameplay trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnXvGDmPoE

I guess it'd be more accurate to say it looks like Crackdown...With more players and less super powers. I'm still pretty intrigued, but not 50$ intrigued yet. GTA with rollover gaming hours and and crazy amounts of customization. They could be onto something.

Servizio said:

Looking at the gameplay trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DnXvGDmPoE

I guess it'd be more accurate to say it looks like Crackdown...With more players and less super powers. I'm still pretty intrigued, but not 50$ intrigued yet. GTA with rollover gaming hours and and crazy amounts of customization. They could be onto something.

Supposedly the world itself isn't alive, it depends on teams so if you are not going to be playing with buddies its useless, and yea, the world isn't alive.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
LovingSteam said:
Sega Classic pack will include:
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Ecco
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Shinobi 3
Sonic 3D Blast
Space Harrier II
Vector Man
Altered Beast
Ugh, I think I'll pass.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
LovingSteam said:
Supposedly the world itself isn't alive, it depends on teams so if you are not going to be playing with buddies its useless, and yea, the world isn't alive.

Huh, the website FAQ mentioned missions, so I assumed there was an aspect to it you could "solo" but there wasn't really any details. I wish I could find some gameplay footage that isn't official trailers.

Maybe they'll have some sort trial period or demo at some point.

Red Scarlet

How do you do one of those 'support ticket' things? Person on my friends list keeps getting his ability to add friends taken away (he got Portal the other day and had some other game on there).

benjipwns

Banned
Servizio said:
Huh, the website FAQ mentioned missions, so I assumed there was an aspect to it you could "solo" but there wasn't really any details. I wish I could find some gameplay footage that isn't official trailers.

Maybe they'll have some sort trial period or demo at some point.
You can do the missions alone if you want but it's quite underwhelming overall.

And there's a subscription fee on top of the $50.

Blizzard said:
I think I'm gonna get the $5 altitude game. It seems to have been made by a small team, supports configurable controls, fullscreen and windowed mode, gamepad, keyboard, steam achievements, lots of unlockables and options, maybe dedicated servers, and it seems pretty polished. Oh, and I guess Mac + Windows multiplayer. Even if I don't play it much, it seems like a nice game/developer to support. :D

do they have widescreen yet? that was the killer for me

Blizzard

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
do they have widescreen yet? that was the killer for me
There's an option that stretches it to fill the screen. I have been playing windowed mode and I guess I didn't even notice that it had been stretching for widescreen resolutions. *shrug* You might still have a few hours left to try it for free and see if you don't like how it looks. :)

Mkliner

Aon said:
As a person with no real interest in soccer, would it be worth me trying out football manger 2010 for the free weekend? Is it good as a pure management sim?
I spent at least 3 hours with it and I really don't care about soccer. I might buy it and maybe even start caring about soccer now.

Remy

speculawyer said:
I wonder if PopCap is going to allow more of their old games become 'SteamPlay' so you can play on both the mac & PC. I know the Peggle games, Plants v. Zombies, and others are available on the Mac . . . but not on Steam.

The have made Zuma Deluxe and Escape from Rosecliff Island available on the Mac . . . but I want the big guns. Give me Peggle!

Uh? Peggle is clearly marked as SteamPlay compatible, as is Peggle Nights. Peggle Extreme isn't, but that's the weird Valve-freebie version.

I would expect more of Popcap's stuff will come over with time.

Blizzard said:
There's an option that stretches it to fill the screen. I have been playing windowed mode and I guess I didn't even notice that it had been stretching for widescreen resolutions. *shrug* You might still have a few hours left to try it for free and see if you don't like how it looks. :)

I tried it, they haven't fixed the resolution problem. I know it's an indie game and all but you really can't sell PC games and not have widescreen :/
The game is fun but the controls bother me for some reason

Remy said:
Uh? Peggle is clearly marked as SteamPlay compatible, as is Peggle Nights. Peggle Extreme isn't, but that's the weird Valve-freebie version.

I would expect more of Popcap's stuff will come over with time.

Damn . . . I could swear they were not Steamplay earlier. At least I could not find them when I was search in the Mac game section.

Edit: Bought for my daughter's account. Between the 360, the DS, and the PS, I've bought at least 6 copies of Peggle games. :lol

Vlodril

Is there anyway to change the region of the store? So instead of paying in Euro's i can pay in pounds and save some money?

mclem

Vlodril said:
Is there anyway to change the region of the store? So instead of paying in Euro's i can pay in pounds and save some money?

I had a problem over Christmas - when I was staying with my parents in France - that meant I couldn't purchase any titles on Steam over there because they needed a credit card registered in the region you're purchasing in.

I got around it by logging in from a machine I had access to back in the UK and making the purchase from that one, but that may not be an option for you if you don't have a card registered in the UK.

The best bet, therefore, might be to set up a gifting scheme with someone in the region you want; you can gift games - paying in your region - to any region you wish. There was a thread on neogaf somewhere trying to match up, er, 'gift buddies' for that purpose.

Vlodril said:

You can use the website, instead of the client:

US:
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

UK:
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

Germany:
http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=de

You have to pay with a credit card registered at that country however.

You can use the trick to just change the city name and country if you are using VISA, since they only check the address not the country. It works for the US store at least.

BUT: it is of course against Valve policies, not mentioning a fraud. You can have your account tagged by Valve, and disabled any form of payment. Then you will have to sort it with a ticket.

So the really best way is to find a pal in the country you want to buy games, and send him money by paypal so he can gift you the games. That is allowed by Valve rules and it is what I have been doing.

Servizio said:

Calling something an MMO and then charging $10 bucks a month for it doesn't actually make it an MMO and justify that pricing.

They have a good concept, cops vs. robbers, simple and elegant. However, to put it simply again, they have purposely made a completely unbalanced shooter, decided to call that a feature, and then decided to charge $10 a month for said feature.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Chiaroscuro said:
You can use the website, instead of the client:

You have to pay with a credit card registered at that country however.

You can use the trick to just change the city name and country if you are using VISA, since they only check the address not the country. It works for the US store at least.
I tried doing that in the last Rockstar Week and it no longer worked, so I had to rely on the goodness of US GAF Citizens. It worked back on the Christmas Sale, and that's how I bought the Crysis pack. I believe they changed something within their system to prevent that loophole.

Twig

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
Calling something an MMO and then charging $10 bucks a month for it doesn't actually make it an MMO and justify that pricing.

They have a good concept, cops vs. robbers, simple and elegant. However, to put it simply again, they have purposely made a completely unbalanced shooter, decided to call that a feature, and then decided to charge $10 a month for said feature.
I thought you bought "hours" to play? Or was it an option between the two?

Anyway, I agree. I'd love to try the game out because in theory I should love it, but it's not... worth it at that price. To me, anyway.

Rhythmic

LovingSteam said:
Sega Classic pack will include:
Comix Zone
Crack Down
Ecco
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Shinobi 3
Sonic 3D Blast
Space Harrier II
Vector Man
Altered Beast

I don't understand sega. Why do they keep putting out these same old genesis titles on everything? They have done multiple genesis remakes on nearly every platform twice over now. Will these have anything added to them or any enhancements at all? Will they have steam achievements or anything?

They have some other classics that could be just updated a little bit and stuck on steam that are not from their genesis era. Why not do some enhanced versions of some of their saturn/dreamcast era games for the pc. Hell they have pc ports of some of those same saturn/dreamcast games they could just put a bit of effort into and stick into steam. The pc versions of house of the dead series and typing of the dead. PC versions of their saturn classics like virtua fighter 2 and panzer dragoon and sega rally 2. PC versions of crazy taxi and hell why not sonic adventure.

Put all of those up for cheap and add in some steam achievements and do what the devs with that classic version of aliens vs predator did and upgrade it to run on more modern OS's like vista and 7.

It is something that sounds better than some sega genesis games.

I read about the genesis collection coming to steam but didn't reply as I was on my touch, but really they should have looked at their older but more modern titles like the PC version of 3D blast, Sonic R pc, Sonic CD pc (which works on modern windows using a patch) and maybe their 32x titles like Chaotix and V.R Deluxe instead of yet AGAIN megadrive roms on a sub par emulator.

If they were to contact the kega fusion developer (again) and use that emulator they would easily get 32x and mega cd emulation too, it's not like old pc can't handle it.

It's just another way to sell old roms for huge profits, sega just can't cut it any more.

They binned their iPhone version btw, was going to be the same as the Steam version with separate games costing money inside the app, it was binned for no given public reason...

Rhythmic said:
They have some other classics that could be just updated a little bit and stuck on steam that are not from their genesis era. Why not do some enhanced versions of some of their saturn/dreamcast era games for the pc. Hell they have pc ports of some of those same saturn/dreamcast games they could just put a bit of effort into and stick into steam. The pc versions of house of the dead series and typing of the dead. PC versions of their saturn classics like virtua fighter 2 and panzer dragoon and sega rally 2. PC versions of crazy taxi and hell why not sonic adventure.
I fully agree, in the past a lot of sega games made it to the pc including sega rally 1 and 2, sega GT from the dreamcast and others, plenty of others.

I can't see them selling sonic adventure over steam because it would out shine the shitty port they are currently working on for the 360, which runs at 640x480 30fps, an old out of date pc can run sonic adventure at 60fps 720p with increased draw distance :lol :lol :lol

If sega made sega rally 2 pc work with 64bit systems and sold it over steam for £5 I would be there day 1, but they are not smart.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rhythmic said:
Hell they have pc ports of some of those same saturn/dreamcast games they could just put a bit of effort into and stick into steam. The pc versions of house of the dead series and typing of the dead. PC versions of their saturn classics like virtua fighter 2 and panzer dragoon and sega rally 2. PC versions of crazy taxi and hell why not sonic adventure.
It is something that sounds better than some sega genesis games.

It certainly is better, but not as easy. Each of those games is probably 30 megs each when accounting for all the raw artwork crap they put into them, because making a 2 meg version available would seem like a ripoff even to the not so smart person.

I would LOVE to be able to actually own a copy of Typing of the Dead. Hell, if they put all these games you listed on steam and released a "Sega Classics Pack", i wouldn't even blink before clicking that "buy" button.

Also, no Sega Rally discount. Sad.

Vlodril

Great so i have to pay a euro tax unless i find someone else? Unification of digital services are still a ways off. Anyway thanks for all the answers.

Rhythmic

Diablohead said:
I can't see them selling sonic adventure over steam because it would out shine the shitty port they are currently working on for the 360, which runs at 640x480 30fps, an old out of date pc can run sonic adventure at 60fps 720p with increased draw distance :lol :lol :lol

Isn't that always the case with pc ports? It really doesn't seem to stop the console gamers with the other games.
But you are most likely correct.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hmm, to buy F.E.A.R. collection at $10, or wait and hope for a cheap 1&2 bundle later in the year...

Visualante said:
Yes all the official bullshit has been cleansed.
I love the new format.

None of the "Official Thread Of..." has ever been cool.

Narag

K.Jack said:
Hmm, to buy F.E.A.R. collection at $10, or wait and hope for a cheap 1&2 bundle later in the year...

I love the new format.

None of the "Official Thread Of..." has ever been cool.

Amen. I enjoy the readability over the "cleverness."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom