• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Doubt anyone would bite since everyone and their mother already owns it but -

I'm going to be picking up The Orange Box on friday, which will give me spare copies of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 1 to gift. Would anyone be willing to gift me something cheap like Plants vs Zombies or something in return for me gifting those 2 to them?

Not holding my breath though :lol

Zerokku said:
Doubt anyone would bite since everyone and their mother already owns it but -

I'm going to be picking up The Orange Box on friday, which will give me spare copies of Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 1 to gift. Would anyone be willing to gift me something cheap like Plants vs Zombies or something in return for me gifting those 2 to them?

Not holding my breath though :lol
Depends if they both become available for Mac on Wednesday.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That game seems kinda funny with the indirect control aspect. I wish there was a demo...

K.Jack said:
Hmm, to buy F.E.A.R. collection at $10, or wait and hope for a cheap 1&2 bundle later in the year...

I love the new format.

None of the "Official Thread Of..." has ever been cool.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

That was an awesome thread title.

Aon

Majesty 1 is still quite fun and is on steam for 10 dollars. Majesty 2 for me lacked the charm of the first game. In Majesty, since you don't directly control heroes you end up caring quite a bit for the ones that manage to live to a higher level. In Majesty 2 character death isn't as permanent and you feel no attachment to the little guys, leaving a subpar RTS. The first game is definitely a charming and unique experience that hasn't aged too badly.

To those complaining about the guides, why? You're not being forced to purchase them. Its like complaining that Amazon is selling an item. Why? It isn't effecting you one way or another.

ArjanN

MrMister said:
That new Sniper game looks cool, is it a sequel?

No.

At first I thought it might be related to Sniper Elite, which was great, and showed me that a game purely focused on sniping can acutally work.

I'm wary though: they don't have the best track record, it's budget price and there haven't been much impressions or gameplay shown.

I might take a chance on it.

markot

Banned
LovingSteam said:
To those complaining about the guides, why? You're not being forced to purchase them. Its like complaining that Amazon is selling an item. Why? It isn't effecting you one way or another.
They take up room on new releases and 'specials' >_<

So apparently Team Fortress 2 has disappeared from my games list too, also I have this weird bug where the client updates to 50% and then stops updating further which makes it impossible to access my games on Windows.

Very annoying stuff, seams Valve stretched themselves a bit too thin with all that new GUI and Mac integration. Well, off to file that support ticket, at least I will get some first hand impressions of Steam's infamous customer support.

Catshade

Action Jackson said:
So apparently Team Fortress 2 has disappeared from my games list too, also I have this weird bug where the client updates to 50% and then stops updating further which makes it impossible to access my games on Windows.

Very annoying stuff, seams Valve stretched themselves a bit too thin with all that new GUI and Mac integration. Well, off to file that support ticket, at least I will get some first hand impressions of Steam's infamous customer support.

Support will redirect you to this unofficial fix, as they also don't have any goddamn idea.

Nickiepoo

Aon said:
Majesty 1 is still quite fun and is on steam for 10 dollars. Majesty 2 for me lacked the charm of the first game. In Majesty, since you don't directly control heroes you end up caring quite a bit for the ones that manage to live to a higher level. In Majesty 2 character death isn't as permanent and you feel no attachment to the little guys, leaving a subpar RTS. The first game is definitely a charming and unique experience that hasn't aged too badly.

Agreed, loved the first, felt let down by the second. This was helped in no way by the second trying too hard to be 'funny'.

Javaman

Bisonian said:
http://www.majesty2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=152

Give that a shot if you feel like it, it's actually quite an enjoyable game.

I enjoy it quite a bit. It really reminded me of the kick butt city building parts of Actraiser 1.
You don't have direct control of the people, but can guide them to close off monster gates. I've heard the first one has more features and a random map generator, but I never bothered to learn the clunky interface. Some day.

Affeinvasion said:
yeah Scribblenauts proved this is a bad idea.
Those are not comparable at all. Like I said, it's fairly similar to Actraiser, though with more control over upgrading and placing buildings.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I <3 Memes said:
That was an awesome thread title.

Sure.

If you're a fan of Street Fighter IV

and the Big Lebowski

and you've seen the TV-censored version of Big Lebowski

and even then it's only funny the first time, like any other pun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wizards of the Coast Signs Magical Deal with Steam

Tue, May 25, 2010

Yesterday, Wizards of the Coast announced a new deal with Valve that will bring the incredibly popular Xbox Live Arcade title Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers to PC gamers via Steam.

For those unfamiliar, Duels of the Planeswalkers offers a virtual version of the table-top card game that has long been a favorite amongst both traditional and video gamers. Once released, the Steam version of the game will reportedly include a user-friendly interface, multiplayer matchmaking, Steam Achievements, leaderboards, and future downloadable content.

Pre-sale for Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam will start on June 1. When the time comes, interested gamers will find the core game combined with Expansion Pack 1 available for $9.99.

John

Shard said:

Tue, May 25, 2010

Yesterday, Wizards of the Coast announced a new deal with Valve that will bring the incredibly popular Xbox Live Arcade title Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers to PC gamers via Steam.

For those unfamiliar, Duels of the Planeswalkers offers a virtual version of the table-top card game that has long been a favorite amongst both traditional and video gamers. Once released, the Steam version of the game will reportedly include a user-friendly interface, multiplayer matchmaking, Steam Achievements, leaderboards, and future downloadable content.

Pre-sale for Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam will start on June 1. When the time comes, interested gamers will find the core game combined with Expansion Pack 1 available for $9.99.

Is this game the exact same game as the real-life card game?

Xapati

Shard said:

Tue, May 25, 2010

Yay, I've been waiting for the PC version of this :D.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to play some MTG online, but the actual online game is kind of prohibitively expensive. With that said, isn't Duels of the Planeswalkers restricted to pre-constructed decks only? I will most definitely give it a try if the core gameplay is there and unchanged, but it would be nice if there was a deck building element.

John

Does Fate of Atlantis hold up today? I remember a review of the new Wii Indy game saying just get it for FoA.

Shard said:
No, it is more Magic-lite, it lacks card customization.
Oh, I think I remember something like that. It's a puzzle game where it shove you into situations and your objective is to figure out how to win?

Dynoro

John said:
Does Fate of Atlantis hold up today? I remember a review of the new Wii Indy game saying just get it for FoA.

Oh, I think I remember something like that. It's a puzzle game where it shove you into situations and your objective is to figure out how to win?
Yes! Fate of Atlantis is just as awesome as it was when it first came out

Kleevah said:

This is a great pack for the price.

But they've put it on sale at least once before so as usual I already have it. I wish they wouldn't put the same items on sale all the time. Aside from the codemasters racing games I haven't seen anything compelling on sale in a long time. Kind of boring but at least I can play my backlog.

Zachack

John said:
There are challenges in the game that are as you describe (here's 5 cards with 7 cards in play, win in 2 turns), but the main game is normal M:TG. Deck customization is pretty limited, though.

Kleevah said:
It is old stuff but decent quality and a good deal at that price.

Note that it is SteamPlay so you can play all of the games on both the PC and the Mac.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
But they've put it on sale at least once before so as usual I already have it. I wish they wouldn't put the same items on sale all the time. Aside from the codemasters racing games I haven't seen anything compelling on sale in a long time. Kind of boring but at least I can play my backlog.
Except for new games, they've put nearly everything on sale at one point or another so you have to expect repeats.

Why doesn't Defcon ever go on sale though?

And Activision are cheap bastards for never putting the old Call of Duty stuff on sale.

And oddly, Garry's Mod never seems to go on sale and it is not in the Valve Complete pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom