• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
speculawyer said:
Except for new games, they've put nearly everything on sale at one point or another so you have to expect repeats.

Nearly everything? I think not. There's a list of several games I'd want on the service that have been there for ages that haven't had any real discounts at all (and $1-$3 off when they first launched a year or more ago doesn't count).

I understand there are going to be repeats, but when you see Torchlight (great game) on sale for the 15th time you start to wish for some of those obscure games to get their shot.

speculawyer said:
Except for new games, they've put nearly everything on sale at one point or another so you have to expect repeats.

I don't think The Ship has ever gone on sale; it's still a rather pricey $20. I wish it would go on sale, that way (ideally) more people would play it. It's hard to find even one decent server.

And oddly, Garry's Mod never seems to go on sale and it is not in the Valve Complete pack.
GMod went on sale at least once; that's when I bought it. Think it was $5.

dani_dc

ksan said:
Seems like there an EU3/HoI3 pack up for 50% off.
HOI3 + EU3 Bundle

Very interesting, haven't played these games but I have heard some good stuff.
Both games are also 50% off individually, which makes them cheaper to buy individually than as a pack :lol

Just a cent less in the US store, around two and half euros cheaper in te EU.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How good are those Indiana Jones adventure games? Would you recommend them to someone completely foreign to the genre?

Mr_Zombie

They are great, probably the best Indiana Jones games that were ever released ;).
They are fun and actually feel like, well, Indiana Jones' adventures.

EDIT: And now I ended up buying that LucasArts Pack :lol

faceless007 said:
I don't think The Ship has ever gone on sale; it's still a rather pricey $20. I wish it would go on sale, that way (ideally) more people would play it. It's hard to find even one decent server.

Tip for The Ship . . . you can enter a retail CD-key. So you can find a cheap retail copy and enter the key. You can find it on Ebay for less than ten bucks.

I picked it up but haven't played yet.

faceless007 said:
GMod went on sale at least once; that's when I bought it. Think it was $5.
I think GMod is the only Valve game I don't have at this point, so I want to complete the collection. :D

Edit: You are right . . . it was on sale once. 50% off when it was updated in Sept 2009 to include achievements.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I don't know about APB, I haven't seen anything that's blowing my skirt up, but then again it's Realtime Worlds and they fucking knocked it out of the god damned park with Crackdown...

Sinatar said:
Man I don't know about APB, I haven't seen anything that's blowing my skirt up, but then again it's Realtime Worlds and they fucking knocked it out of the god damned park with Crackdown...

Honestly the majority of folks I have seen who are in the beta say it isn't worth it.

speculawyer said:
Tip for The Ship . . . you can enter a retail CD-key. So you can find a cheap retail copy and enter the key. You can find it on Ebay for less than ten bucks.

I think GMod is the only Valve game I don't have at this point, so I want to complete the collection. :D

It's not a Valve game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah i was in the BETA, played it once and it was all i could hack. Really wasn't feeling it at all. (APB).

^^ But GMod is still very worth it. I've had hours of fun online with mates in that game just dicking around.

Kritz

Banned
Man, here's hoping that Telltale complete pack goes on sale one of these days. While I know $99usd for all those games is a fantastic deal, and is actually less money than a single game at retail in Australia
at EB Games
, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger without a 25% or 50% sale.

:<

kennah

Kritz said:
Man, here's hoping that Telltale complete pack goes on sale one of these days. While I know $99usd for all those games is a fantastic deal, and is actually less money than a single game at retail in Australia
at EB Games
, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger without a 25% or 50% sale.

:<
I got it at Christmas. So worth it at 50% off.

vocab

Sinatar said:

Ya.. Crackdown is fun, but very shallow. Give that game a worthy story, that game would easily be 10/10.

Anyway, bought Majesty 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
vocab said:
Ya.. Crackdown is fun, but pretty shallow. Give that game a worthy story, that game would easily be 10/10.

Anyway, bought Majesty 2.
The Tale of 4 Agents said:
Once upon a time some angry agents brutalized some street gangs. The end.
That's all the story it needs. Crackdown 2 is going to be my game of the summer.

But I'm actually pretty worried for APB, especially after the lukewarm beta reception.

Sinatar said:
Yeah that's the thing about APB. People should forget that those people had anything to do with crackdown and be thankful that some one is already busy making sure that crackdown 2 is out this year.

slidewinder said:
I'd kill for a Prima Guide that really goes in-depth about the Norfolk Southern SD40-2 Highnose, though. *drool*
:lol

I'd love to see sales numbers from Steam. There are 8-gazillion Railworks thingies but I don't know anyone that has any of that stuff. I guess there is a hardcore "Trainspotter" community (not the heroin kind) who buys all that stuff.

FunBoy

I wanna know what they are dicking around at with not being able to pre order APB on steam in the UK. Though I am hoping the retail version is steam works supported caus its £10 cheaper than on steam.

Plus there's the whole situation whether the full version will have more content than the current beta ><.

FunBoy said:
Plus there's the whole situation whether the full version will have more content than the current beta ><.
I'd bet an unreasonably large some of money, that I don't have, that it wont. The best way to describe APB right now seems to be that its an attempt to cash in on the mmo subscription model.

bestami

Well i really think APB has some really cool ideas like forcing players from opposite factions to do the same quest with different objectives. Customization was really deep aswell. However i have to say driving and shooting was very dull and since APB is based around that i don't see that game being too popular. It might be a good idea to get the game and dick around with friends and such for a couple of days/weeks (i am honestly thinking about this) but i don't think many people will pay the subs fee after the first month.

Volcynika

You can preorder that new Prince of Persia game on Steam and get the Warrior Within (lol) for free! If you already have PoP: WW, you can gift the copy to a friend.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, bought the LucastArts pack. I'll likely save it for next semester's laptop gaming breaks. Forgot I bought the Secret of Monkey Island during the Holiday Sale too! I'm going to be getting into adventure gaming!

Lyphen said:
Well, bought the LucastArts pack. I'll likely save it for next semester's laptop gaming breaks. Forgot I bought the Secret of Monkey Island during the Holiday Sale too! I'm going to be getting into adventure gaming!

I know what you mean. I didn't play any for a long, long time (read: pretty much the King's Quest era) and now I have a crapload to get to.

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
You can preorder that new Prince of Persia game on Steam and get the Warrior Within (lol) for free! If you already have PoP: WW, you can gift the copy to a friend.
seriously?

THAT'S the game they picked?

out of the four prince of persia games they have on steam they picked what is possibly one of the worst games they have ever made, nevermind the worst of the prince of persia franchise? (i have not played pop3d, maybe it is worse)

impressive

benjipwns

Banned
faceless007 said:
I don't think The Ship has ever gone on sale; it's still a rather pricey $20. I wish it would go on sale, that way (ideally) more people would play it. It's hard to find even one decent server
It did at some point, I picked it up for $5. Yeah, I never found servers back when I was playing it for a while, but I'd create a server with a couple bots and it'd wind up with five or six actual people in addition to the two or three bots. (Bots aren't amazing or anything but they're easy enough to kill that you can get back into the game if you wind up in jail or dead by picking them off.) This was more than a year or so ago though.

Wizpig

I never played on PC years ago so I missed old adventure games.
I love Telltale games mainly because they feel "new"; for example I don't like a lot Sam & Max Hit The Road because of the old UI: will I like Loom, Indiana Jones etc?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
seriously?

THAT'S the game they picked?

out of the four prince of persia games they have on steam they picked what is possibly one of the worst games they have ever made, nevermind the worst of the prince of persia franchise? (i have not played pop3d, maybe it is worse)

impressive
I think the idea is that the new PoP fits in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within chronologically so they picked those two games to be packaged with it.

Wizpig said:
I love Telltale games mainly because they feel "new"; for example I don't like a lot Sam & Max Hit The Road because of the old UI: will I like Loom, Indiana Jones etc?

If you want something old enough to earn you some cred', but you're scared of interfaces from the DOS days, you should give The Longest Journey a download.

Shit it amaaaazing.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I think the idea is that the new PoP fits in between Sands of Time and Warrior Within chronologically so they picked those two games to be packaged with it.
i guess they did give away sands of time with pop 2008 (if i recall correctly)

but still

ugh

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Meh i think i'll wait for a remake of Fate of Atlantis like what they did with Monkey Island before i play it. I've never played any lucasarts games but the monkey island remake made me buy it and put it on my list of games to play when i have time.

Twig

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
Meh i think i'll wait for a remake of Fate of Atlantis like what they did with Monkey Island before i play it. I've never played any lucasarts games but the monkey island remake made me buy it and put it on my list of games to play when i have time.
I don't think... they will remake Fate of Atlantis any time soon.

I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't really see it happening.

speculawyer said:

Oh, I already have it, picked it up for $4 at Circuit City. I'm just hoping they drop the price to get more people playing.

epmode

Wizpig said:
I find most of the Lucasarts stuff to be pretty timeless. And honestly, I don't understand why you'd have a problem with the Hit the Road UI. It's certainly more PC-friendly than the more recent Telltale stuff.

I mean, yeah, you might have to decide to USE something instead of LOOK AT but it's a pretty minor complaint.

faceless007 said:
The Ship went on sale at least once (when I got it). But even then servers weren't really populated - have only played it a couple of times.

vocab

faceless007 said:
I don't think this is right. I believe they run on an updated SCUMM interpreter written in Visual C++. I don't see any Dosbox related files in the folder for them.

That's even better. I forgot Lucas Arts went the extra miles with these.

zombieshavebrains said:
It isn't that bad. I've played this all evening, and just adapted to the style. The puzzles can be pretty tough at times, but just cycle through your item lists, and know that a chime rings when you get something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom