• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Lucasarts, where is Grim Fandango? ò_ó

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LovingSteam said:
Fallout: New Vegas has been added to the registry with 4 packs (most likely pre purchase bonuses). Also Kane & Lynch 2 has been added.
Sweet. I wonder when Fallout 3 GOTY will have a sale.

deleted

Why is the Lucas Arts Adventure-pack not available in Germany? Made sense for censored games before, but the LA Adventure pack?

BTW whats in it?

ArjanN

kinoki said:
Lucasarts, where is Grim Fandango? ò_ó

Grim Fandango is kind of finicky on modern PCs. On the plus side: any lucasarts game that hasn't been added yet could potentially get a Monkey Island-type remake.

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throtlle etc.. I think Full Throttle especially would really benefit from being in HD.

xyla said:
Why is the Lucas Arts Adventure-pack not available in Germany? Made sense for censored games before, but the LA Adventure pack?

BTW whats in it?

Loom
The Dig
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

ArjanN said:
Grim Fandango is kind of finicky on modern PCs. On the plus side: any lucasarts game that hasn't been added yet could potentially get a Monkey Island-type remake.

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throtlle etc.. I think Full Throttle especially would really benefit from being in HD.

Using the Grim Fandango Installer, I recently played all the way through again and it worked just fine on Win 7 64-bit.

epmode

Backfoggen said:
Using the Grim Fandango Installer, I recently played all the way through again and it worked just fine on Win 7 64-bit.
Even using that installer, Grim Fandango is a bit of a mess on Win 7 64. It simply doesn't work in full-screen or with 3D acceleration and I had a LOT of trouble getting my gamepad working.

I'd love a re-release so I don't have to go through that crap again.

Wizpig

TouchMyBox said:
If you want something old enough to earn you some cred', but you're scared of interfaces from the DOS days, you should give The Longest Journey a download.

Shit it amaaaazing.
Not available on Mac unfortunately...
epmode said:
I find most of the Lucasarts stuff to be pretty timeless. And honestly, I don't understand why you'd have a problem with the Hit the Road UI. It's certainly more PC-friendly than the more recent Telltale stuff.

I mean, yeah, you might have to decide to USE something instead of LOOK AT but it's a pretty minor complaint.
Yeah maybe it's just that you don't have a hint system and the puzzles are hard stuff; I'm not good at this genre but I still love it.

I'd also like Grim Fandango and Hit the Road on Steam, if they manage to make those games on Mac too.
Wonder why HtR is not there already.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Twig said:
seriously?

THAT'S the game they picked?

out of the four prince of persia games they have on steam they picked what is possibly one of the worst games they have ever made, nevermind the worst of the prince of persia franchise? (i have not played pop3d, maybe it is worse)

impressive
Other than the music bugs (Which might be a blessing for some) and the shitty direction they took with OMG DARKNESS the game is actually fun to play.

Twig

Banned
Easy_D said:
Other than the music bugs (Which might be a blessing for some) and the shitty direction they took with OMG DARKNESS the game is actually fun to play.
no it's not

maybe you have a higher tolerance for shit but the game is not good

at all

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Even using that installer, Grim Fandango is a bit of a mess on Win 7 64. It simply doesn't work in full-screen or with 3D acceleration and I had a LOT of trouble getting my gamepad working.

I'd love a re-release so I don't have to go through that crap again.

Works perfectly fine in fullscreen w/ 3D acceleration on two different machines for me.

nexen

Minsc said:
Works perfectly fine in fullscreen w/ 3D acceleration on two different machines for me.
Please tell me what the rigs were. I've had no end of trouble getting Grim Fandango to run reasonably on my machine even in software emulation and using that installer.
Tried on XP 32bit and Win7 64bit. No dice. :(

Ledsen

Twig said:
no it's not

at all

Gameplay-wise I found it to be on par with the other two games, I find them all to be quite good. I was actually more disappointed in the third game.

hamchan said:
Just use a crack. Funnily enough Rockstar has no issues using one for the steam version of Max Payne :lol

Isn't using unofficial cracks dangerous though? Aren't the places where you get these cracks wretched hives of malware and viruses where half the "cracks" are just trojans? I tried this years ago with some games I legitimately owned and half the files I tried were infected. It simply wasn't safe and I resigned myself to using my discs.

Maybe things are different now, I don't know. And I don't want to take the thread OT, but I just wanted to warn people who might be reading that it's not exactly safe to follow this advice.

krzy123

B-Ri said:
I already own max payne 2 on disc, is there any way i can get the steam version?

Unless you want to play it right away and for some obscure reason don't want to crack it, the game comes on sale on steam, I think i picked up both Max Payne's last christmas for $2 or something.

vocab

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Isn't using unofficial cracks dangerous though? Aren't the places where you get these cracks wretched hives of malware and viruses where half the "cracks" are just trojans? I tried this years ago with some games I legitimately owned and half the files I tried were infected. It simply wasn't safe and I resigned myself to using my discs.

Maybe things are different now, I don't know. And I don't want to take the thread OT, but I just wanted to warn people who might be reading that it's not exactly safe to follow this advice.

No cd cracks are pretty common, and very safe if you know where to go.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
vocab said:
No cd cracks are pretty common, and very safe if you know where to go.
Nearly every last official PC patch I've downloaded removes the CD check. I'd be surprised if Max Payne 2 was an exception.

There are people who put in disks in order to play games? I don't even have an optical drive in my rig.

I don't want to ruin the uniform look of the case, the odd disk I need I just make an iso of on my laptop

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
TouchMyBox said:
There are people who put in disks in order to play games? I don't even have an optical drive in my rig.

I don't want to ruin the uniform look of the case, the odd disk I need I just make an iso of on my laptop
I considered doing that myself for awhile. :lol My Antec 300 looks so much better with the grill.

Minsc

Gold Member
TouchMyBox said:

The only thing I really use my disc drive for is converting my games and movies to a digital format, so I don't need to use the disc again.

Essentially the drive is used just to help make itself obsolete!

ArjanN

Twig said:
no it's not

at all

Nah, once you get about halfway through the game the smouldering-with-generic-rage isn't as prominent and you still have the really solid gameplay which is pretty much the same as Sands of Time.

Boonoo

Loxley said:
Jesus I've been waiting forever for F.E.A.R. to hit Steam, so bought :D

Haha same here. I almost bought a boxed copy last year, but I held off for the hopeful steam release. I wasn't let down.

Looks like half life updates are out on PC.

Updates to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Half-Life 2
Added support for Mac
Added Steam Cloud support for save games
Added new achievements
Improved graphical effects

Half-Life 2: Episode One
Added support for Mac
Added new achievements
Improved graphical effects

Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Added support for Mac

Note: Save games for Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One will go through a transition. The current level you are on will be saved, but not the exact position in the level.

Time for another playthrough. I was getting a hankering for it yesterday; this happened at a good time.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
Haha same here. I almost bought a boxed copy last year, but I held off for the hopeful steam release. I wasn't let down.

Looks like half life updates are out on PC.

Time for another playthrough. I was getting a hankering for it yesterday; this happened at a good time.

Awesome :D

B-Ri

Did episode 2 dissapear from anyone elses library list on mac? :O

Servers seem to be hammered, i cant even launch HL2 which oddly enough downloaded on my mac two weeks ago, jst wouldnt launch

B-Ri said:
Did episode 2 dissapear from anyone elses library list on mac? :O

Servers seem to be hammered, i cant even launch HL2 which oddly enough downloaded on my mac two weeks ago, jst wouldnt launch

I'm running Windows and HL2 and E2 are both absent. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom