• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyphen said:
Oh God, please, HDR in HL2! Been waiting since the 360 port!

The HL2 page was updated and that is on it:

Single-player
Steam Achievements
Steam Cloud
Captions available
HDR available
Controller enabled
Includes Source SDK

I'm an idiot, my HL2 and E1 games are on there. I forgot I put them in my "Shooterific!" category.

Spwn

Finally! Been waiting for this update since the orange box release. Now I've got a reason to play HL2 again, the ach... I mean the graphic update!

MNC

Super awesome. Valve is cleaning up the things they've been meaning to do, scrapping the to-do list, and BRiNG ON EPISODE THREE

derFeef

MNC said:
Super awesome. Valve is cleaning up the things they've been meaning to do, scrapping the to-do list, and BRiNG ON EPISODE THREE
It´s getting closer, I can feel it. My Half-Life senses are tingling.

JADS

Boonoo said:
Haha same here. I almost bought a boxed copy last year, but I held off for the hopeful steam release. I wasn't let down.

Looks like half life updates are out on PC.

Time for another playthrough. I was getting a hankering for it yesterday; this happened at a good time.

OB upgrades for the original game and episode 1? About damn time :lol
The One Free Bullet here I come!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
B-Ri said:
Did episode 2 dissapear from anyone elses library list on mac? :O

Servers seem to be hammered, i cant even launch HL2 which oddly enough downloaded on my mac two weeks ago, jst wouldnt launch
Nor me, HL2 launched for me without a problem (unlike many other people) on November 16th 2004 yet an update comes out and now I can't play? lovely.

Ah well, hopefully it'll mean I can delete the "Half Life 2 Update" mod.

derFeef

The Big Rig said:
I'm looking the the HL2 achievements, and there's no description for any of them. Anyone else not seeing them?
You can see the descriptions in the game.
I just tested a bit - hm - there seems to be no HDR, nut sure it works, or should work.
The dynamic flashlight shadow works nice tough. Cool to see in the main game.

The Achievements will get me to play through HL2 on the PC now. I don't consider myself an achievement whore . . . . but I can't say they have no impact on me.

Mac gamers have never had it so good. Not only do they get the almighty Orange Box, but it is being given to them for $20.99. If this were a typical retail disc game, it would come out at $59.99 or $49.99 . . . what ever the original full price would be.

Finish up Team Fortress 2. I wanna blow the heads off some Mac-heads.

I'm posting on my iPhone while I'm
at work and can't check Steam 'till I get home. So bear with me.

If I buy the Orange Box on PC, will that purchase unlock HL2 on for my MBP and eventually unlock TF2 when the mac version is released?

Thanks!

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm posting on my iPhone while I'm
at work and can't check Steam 'till I get home. So bear with me.

If I buy the Orange Box on PC, will that purchase unlock HL2 on for my MBP and eventually unlock TF2 when the mac version is released?

Thanks!

Yes!

Reluctant-Hero said:
Awesome! I just bought a wired '360 pad too!
You will not regret that. Totally worth it.

PC people that don't have Team Fortress 2 yet will probably be able to pick it up on sale when the Mac version is released. That damn game has sucked up so much of my time. Very fun. There is a decent GAF TF2 community.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
perryfarrell said:
Is any one else having difficulties playing Steam games?

It keeps saying 'Steam servers are too busy blah blah blah...'

Annoying
I've noticed that they're never too busy to accept your money.

Does it say anywhere how long episode 2 will be on sale for that price? Also it says the normal price is $7.99 but I thought it was closer to $15.00?

Draft said:
Wait a second- file format compatibility DLC?

PC Gaming loses :lol

Come again? From what the dev said it he needed to pay for licensing in order to enable compatibility with iTunes and mP4. Therefore he is charging $1.00 for those who want it.

Draft said:

"The cost is to cover the per copy license fee needed for the patented AAC decoder." I don't know much about it, but it looks like he's a one man team.

HL2 updates, so awesome. Man the Orange Box is like 8 boxes of cereal. If you don't own it by now you are a fool and should be booted out of the PC master race.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Draft said:

4u99w9.jpg

Bisonian

Here's what the one guy developing Beat Hazard has added to it absolutely for free, most of it from suggestions posted in the Steam forums that he interacts with:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229947

Included in that list is local co-op, with online co-op coming, a wide variety of (free) file formats, and all sorts of feature implementations and tweaks.

When he found out about the per-unit cost to include the iTunes, m4a, and aac formats, he asked the community if it was worth the time at a $1 charge to include it as a future feature. A number of people said they still wanted it, so he did it. You can still use any of the other numerous free formats included, and every single other update on that list is free.

To label this guy as the "problem" of PC gaming is ludicrous and ignorant. I wish my favorite games were supported as well as Beat Hazard is.

Draft said:

It's a licensing fee. Users asked for it, and the best he could do is offer it for $1 each, for people that will actually use it. Otherwise he would have had to pay the fee for users who will never touch it.

Edit: Looks like Bisonian explained it better.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, unfortunately due to software patents, some stuff like H264 can be easily played by free decoders, but LEGALLY there's required to be a license somewhere. I don't know if the AAC thing is also due to a software patent but I wouldn't be surprised.

*edit*

Also, looks like never playing episode 1 or 2 pays off. I'll have to play through the whole game with the graphical pgrades and achievements. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know it's stupid... but people can just convert shit to mp3 or ogg or flac or whatever can't they? I'm guessing that's just for people who can't be bothered to convert their songs?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Draft said:
Whatever the reason, it's file format compatibility DLC.

We've reached ludicrous speed.
The options are:
a) no-one gets to use itunes content
b) everyone pays the license fee whether they use it or not
c) only people who want itunes access pay apples licensing fee

And you think c) is ludicrous?

poppabk said:
The options are:
a) no-one gets to use itunes
b) everyone pays the license fee whether they use it or not
c) only people who want itunes access pay apples licensing fee

And you think c) is ludicrous?

Exactly. Apparently options are ridiculous.

Weenerz

Banned
I hope Valve pulls a Nintendo and announces Episode 3 at E3 and it's coming out the week after. Would be hella cool not getting super excited for a year later.

Blizzard

Banned
Random question, not really steam-specific...I tried the Champions Online demo on Steam, and even the character creator seemed to make my video card go CRAZY, 99% used, 102C with the fan high, etc. I know my card needs cleaned anyway, but even after putting it at fullscreen locked at 30-60 fps etc., the game looks pretty bad (1680x1050 medium settings, low/off shadows and 2xAA?), and my card stays hotter than most any other game besides Crysis or some of the newer RTS games. I have a 4850 512MB...is there some reason the game seems mediocre AND wants to eat my graphics card alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom