• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weenerz said:
I hope Valve pulls a Nintendo and announces Episode 3 at E3 and it's coming out the week after. Would be hella cool not getting super excited for a year later.

Wouldn't that be pulling an Apple? Pulling a Nintendo would be announcing something and then it coming out after several delays or only in Japan.

Remy

LovingSteam said:
Blame Apple, not a one man dev team for listening to customer feedback and offering options.

Wikipedia said:
AAC was developed with the cooperation and contributions of companies including Apple Inc., Fraunhofer IIS, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Dolby, Sony Corporation and Nokia, and was officially declared an international standard by the Moving Pictures Experts Group in April 1997.

As opposed to:

Wikipedia said:
MP3 is an audio-specific format that was designed by the Moving Picture Experts Group as part of its MPEG-1 standard. The group was formed by several teams of engineers at Fraunhofer IIS, AT&T-Bell Labs, Thomson-Brandt, CCETT, and others. It was approved as an ISO/IEC standard in 1991.

Remy said:
As opposed to:
There is a big difference. I don't want to pay for a license to a proprietary system that I don't want and don't use.

I think this $1.00 extra for the AAC compatibility was the best way to deal with the issue and I feel the developer did the right thing.

4u99w9.jpg

Is that OJ Simpson? :lol

Weenerz said:
I hope Valve pulls a Nintendo and announces Episode 3 at E3 and it's coming out the week after. Would be hella cool not getting super excited for a year later.
Dude. They showed TF2 at E3 in 1999. It shipped in October of 2007.

You really think that is gonna happen? :lol

I think they've been more than busy with the Mac stuff and Portal 2.

pilonv1

Don't mean to spam another thread with my request, but if someone from the UK can gift me a copy of Alpha Protocol I'd be very grateful.

I can't believe it's not only $20 more than the US price but also double the equivalent UK price.

Spwn

I'm amazed how well HL2 holds up. Sure, it's a bit stiff at times, but it looks good and is fun to play. Game of the forever?

dock

I just bought the Lucasarts pack, even though I'm mostly interested in Loom, and I already played through Loom on the Amiga... nevertheless, it's cheap and worth it to have. Steam Play really appeals to me with point and click games too.

kinoki said:
Lucasarts, where is Grim Fandango? ò_ó

10 PRINT "LUCASARTS, WHERE IS GRIM FANDANGO?"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Seriously, I've wanted to play this for a long time, but it was too high spec for my PC at the time, and then became hard to find and hard to get working. It's regarded really highly, and it's the Lucasarts game I want to play more than anything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a version of Grim that actually works on my PC... I'd kill for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
dock said:
Seriously, I've wanted to play this for a long time, but it was too high spec for my PC at the time, and then became hard to find and hard to get working. It's regarded really highly, and it's the Lucasarts game I want to play more than anything.

It's crazy the prices went up to like $90 on amazon. I bought my replacement copy off Amazon for around $10 or so a year or two ago.

The game installs and runs perfectly with no glitches (with the custom installer, the installer even removes the CD check so you never need the discs), sucks if you're having trouble with it! :(

Weird, now when I do game backups my CPU alarm goes off that it is overheating. Anyone know if Valve recently updated backing up games with new code or something? I've done other CPU intensive processes to see if they have issues and they have no problem. It is just Steam backups.

Minsc

Gold Member
Eaten By A Grue said:
Weird, now when I do game backups my CPU alarm goes off that it is overheating. Anyone know if Valve recently updated backing up games with new code or something? I've done other CPU intensive processes to see if they have issues and they have no problem. It is just Steam backups.

Are you running a temperature monitoring program?

I'd recommend putting a CPU widget in your desktop so you can always see what your CPU usage as well.

See if your "other intensive processes" are taking it up to 100% CPU, handbrake is a good program to test with, that should use 100%.

NIN90 said:

I don't see the issue?

In order to support those formats the developers have to pay an extra license fee. If they rolled it out in a general update they'd end up out of pocket. Seems fair enough to me, if you want the support you cover the costs so the guy doesn't end up out of pocket. Better than not supporting it at all.

MNC

brain_stew said:
I don't see the issue?

In order to support those formats the developers have to pay an extra license fee. If they rolled it out in a general update they'd end up out of pocket. Seems fair enough to me, if you want the support you cover the costs so the guy doesn't end up out of pocket. Better than not supporting it at all.
Yeah, the guy listens really well to the fanbase and adapts his game to it. I applaud that.

Minsc said:
Are you running a temperature monitoring program?

I'd recommend putting a CPU widget in your desktop so you can always see what your CPU usage as well.

See if your "other intensive processes" are taking it up to 100% CPU, handbrake is a good program to test with, that should use 100%.

No, I have not been running a program to monitor my temps. I wanted to rebackup HL2 after yesterday's updates and my PC speaker made an alarm noise. I opened up my case and could see the fan mounted on the CPU going full force so I am assuming that is what triggered the alarm. You made a good point so I will use a widget to confirm my assumptions. It is just weird that my alarm has never gone off before and now all of a sudden doing Steam backups is setting it off.

McHuj

At this point, I'd be fine with valve skipping Episode 3 for a a full Half Life 3 announcement this year and release in 2011.

But we'll probably get EP3 next year and HL3 sometime around 2015/6

vid

Guh. I made a deposit on a pre-paid debit card today specifically to pick up the Lucasarts package, but had to deposit some extra to meet a minimum balance. As a result, I also ended up finally picking up Audiosurf and Time Gentlemen, Please + Ben There, Dan That.

Curse you Cheap! Er, Steal! Er, Steam!

tjohn86

Spwn said:
I'm amazed how well HL2 holds up. Sure, it's a bit stiff at times, but it looks good and is fun to play. Game of the forever?

They really used that exploding barrel mechanic to show off the physics too much.

I bet it was cool at the time but man its tedious now.

poweld

Gexecuter said:
I think the weekend deal might be the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition since right now it's going for $45.99 USD, a 39% discount. The pack includes all of the splinter cell games on steam which is a good deal if you don't own any of these games.
Awesome!

CrazyBullshit said:
Online Requirement

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.splintercell.com/conviction/
Oh right. Nevermind.

Weenerz said:

They'll announce for a week later but you won't get it for a year :p

graywolf323

given I own all the Splinter Cell games except Conviction no thanks, I wouldn't grab that title until it's closer to $20 (if then even given the online connectivity requirement)

Just an FYI, there was a problem with the price so they removed the sale. They are most likely adjusting it so what you see currently ISN'T what it will be when its put back on sale.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
79,96€
Individual price:
79,99€
Package price:
79,99€
Cost to you:

So buying them as a package is actually 0,03€ more expensive than buying them seperate. Intresting logic.

IceMarker

Sounds like a great deal, but sadly I will never touch another Ubisoft game again as long as they have the horrible DRM implemented in their games.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
dock said:
10 PRINT "LUCASARTS, WHERE IS GRIM FANDANGO?"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Now that's something I haven't seen in a while.

Release Full Throttle. It was my brother's favorite game and I managed to lose the CD. Shame on me. And release Grim Fandango. It can't be that hard to emulate and I'd pay €39.99 for them (most likely more if they asked it).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
poweld said:
Awesome!

Oh right. Nevermind.

My exact thought process :-[

Though at a discounted rate (I'll pretend I'm getting another 10 off because I'm ostensibly paying for the other 3 too) I am almost convinced to bite...

But fuck. I mean really. Fuck. My internet went out for an hour yesterday. :(

kinoki said:
Now that's something I haven't seen in a while.

Release Full Throttle. It was my brother's favorite game and I managed to lose the CD. Shame on me. And release Grim Fandango. It can't be that hard to emulate and I'd pay €39.99 for them (most likely more if they asked it).

Grim Fandango will actually run just about perfectly in Win7 I think, without emulating anything.

dani_dc

LovingSteam said:
Um it should end today. If you want to buy it do it now.
Uh, I thought midweek deals lasted until friday.

I already have LucasArt pack, friend of mine wanted to know since he can only get it tomorrow, guess I should gift it to him before it ends then :lol

dani_dc said:

I already have LucasArt pack, friend of mine wanted to know since he can only get it tomorrow, guess I should gift it to him before it ends then :lol

They end usually when the weekend deal goes up which for the last few months has gone up on a Thursday (usually).

Volcynika

dani_dc said:

But the whole idea of midweek deals (lately a majority of them end around Thursday afternoon-ish) is just a deal stuck in the middle of the week. They sometimes did end on Friday, but they seem to be gravitating more to letting them end Thursday and sometimes starting the weekend deal after they end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom