• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Twig said:
Ubisoft makes good games.

Sorry, it's the truth. I know it hurts.

I loved their last gen games. While not a great fan of them I could see what made them work for certain people and they held a high production value. King Kong, Beyond Good and Evil, Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time all offered great gaming experiences but this last gen it's all been more about imagining babies than crafting great experiences.

kinoki said:
I loved their last gen games. While not a great fan of them I could see what made them work for certain people and they held a high production value. King Kong, Beyond Good and Evil, Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time all offered great gaming experiences but this last gen it's all been more about imagining babies than crafting great experiences.

Uh no. G.R.A.W. was great as was Assassins Creed 2. AC2 is one of the gens greatest games IMO.

Twig

Banned
kinoki said:
Yes, that's a good point. I, too, regularly ignore the good games developers make because they also happen to make a bunch of cash-ins.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
LovingSteam said:
Uh no. G.R.A.W. was great as was Assassins Creed 2. AC2 is one of the gens greatest games IMO.

I played GRAW when it was first released but thought it was sluggish in lack of a better word. I'm kind of trying to catch up with this gen not buying a console until early this year. And I did get some hands-on time with AC1 but it didn't really speak to me. I'll give Ubisoft a chance in a few months but so far they've gone from one of the more creative to one of the more bland publishers this generation. But I really hope I'm wrong on this, so I'll try to change my mind.

kinoki said:
I played GRAW when it was first released but thought it was sluggish in lack of a better word. I'm kind of trying to catch up with this gen not buying a console until early this year. And I did get some hands-on time with AC1 but it didn't really speak to me. I'll give Ubisoft a chance in a few months but so far they've gone from one of the more creative to one of the more bland publishers this generation. But I really hope I'm wrong on this, so I'll try to change my mind.

AC1 was universally hailed as a disappointment while AC2 has been praised as one of the best of this gen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
LovingSteam said:
AC1 was universally hailed as a disappointment while AC2 has been praised as one of the best of this gen.
I'm some kind of nutjob, because I've enjoyed AC1 a lot more than 2 (from what I played). I simply found the varied ethnicities, and environments of Jerusalem to be more exciting and interesting.

I'll have to give 2 another go on the 360, see what everyone is talking about.

kinoki

LovingSteam said:

I'll see what I can do after I've plowed through my current backlog. But being thoroughly dissappointed by every Prince of Persia game released (including Sands of Time*) I'm not going to hold my breath until I start singing praise for it.

(*I threw this title in the bin after having finished it and didn't get why people liked it, I thought it felt so convoluted. When returning to it a year or so later I could really put my fingers on what I didn't like: 1) The pause after defeating every enemy in the room. This pulled me out of the experience and made every fight something I'd lament seeing the end of. 2) The flashforwards of every area. Sure, I'm all for a sweep of a good, big puzzle room, but the constant flashes whenever you reached a save point annoyed me greatly. Adding these two things up might not seem like much but I was pulled out of the experience to the degree I couldn't stand it.)

Haeleos

LovingSteam said:

There are still people that love AC1 though. Opinions!

There isn't any substance to their recent games. If you look at Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell Conviction, they certainly have the art team to make great games, but the gameplay ideas behind them are shallow one trick ponies. There's little to no risk/reward to a lot of their games this gen in an attempt to appeal to a casual audience.

What they don't understand is that risk/reward can and should still exist, (games like Nintendo's first party Mario games are the obvious example) and it doesn't equal a dumbing down of controls, interactivity and penalties for bad play. That you can still make games that are hard to master but easy to approach. And that you don't have to recycle one or two shallow interactions with the game, put some shiny paint on it and call it a day.

On top of that, it's my opinion a lot of their games have been done a lot better by other devs. I think Arkham Asylum is much more entertaining and responsive than PoP or AC, and GRAW isn't even an improvement on the original GR, let alone the other big name military shooters.

They've undone the past 4 years a bit with Assassin's Creed 2, and I'm not discounting it, but Splinter Cell Conviction and Forgotten Sands makes it seem like they haven't learned their lesson.

I miss Sands of Time era Ubisoft. I even enjoy Heroes of Might and Magic 5, despite it's very big flaws, but there isn't anything in their current lineup that is doing it for me.

I know this isn't for Impulse deals, but a few Impulse exclusive games are on sale. Sins of a Solar Empire vanilla is $4 (!!!!!). Also Demigod and GalCiv2 are still $10 each I think until the 31st.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Rubezh said:
I'm wary about Dawn of War 2, especially with the hidden activations.
I must've reformatted at least 15 times since DOW2's launch (let's not discuss why), and the most I've had to do is actually enter the CD-Key and get it re-verified. Buy the pack. Great games.

Spy

Lyphen said:
I must've reformatted at least 15 times since DOW2's launch (let's not discuss why), and the most I've had to do is actually enter the CD-Key and get it re-verified. Buy the pack. Great games.
Why?

Is there anybody that would like to purchase the Dawn of War 2? I have 2 but want Chaos Rising but this way instead of paying $15 we each pay $10. I will buy it and will send you Dawn of War 2 if you pay pal me $10.

LovingSteam said:
Is there anybody that would like to purchase the Dawn of War 2? I have 2 but want Chaos Rising but this way instead of paying $15 we each pay $10. I will buy it and will send you Dawn of War 2 if you pay pal me $10.
I don't think you can split them like that . . . . can you?

LovingSteam said:
God, you are tempting me!!!!! Btw, how many games do you now have on Steam? Mind posting your profile so I can add you?
A massive pile of games. Mostly from some Valve CD keys, then buying 'Complete' packs from about 5 or 6 publishers, and the Xmas sale, etc.

Send an invite to 'Speculawyer'.

robatw

Dawn of War 2 Gold in the US = 19,99$
Dawn of War 2 Gold in Germany = 27,49€ which is about 35$...

Ridiculous price policy...

graywolf323

pilonv1 said:
Can anyone from the UK gift me a copy of Alpha Protocol? It's half the price for me locally. I can paypal back immediately.

wow it's not half price but it's ~$15 less than the US store

LovingSteam said:
God, you are tempting me!!!!! Btw, how many games do you now have on Steam? Mind posting your profile so I can add you?

he doesn't have as many of we do >_<

I'm trying to cut back :p

Max

I am not Max
LovingSteam said:
I'm looking for someone to do this with as well

kswiston

Does anyone in the UK want Dawn of War 2 gold for $20 instead of £20? I will gift you the game if you are willing to gift me Alpha Protocol. I will paypal you the difference of course (about £11,50 using today's exchange).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Great thing about Alpha Protocol is that they've already mentioned they'll remove the DRM sometime in the future. So I'll wait for that fateful day, and likely save myself a little cash too.

TouchMyBox said:
A man has got to cover his tracks from the po-po somehow.
Shhhhh.

Lyphen said:
Apparently Dawn of War 2 has 10 activations or something like that.

Pretty sure that was the GFWL activation limit for signing in, which the devs were unaware of. I think they removed them, but im not sure.

TouchMyBox said:
apparently all GFWL games have 15 activations, it is apparently easy to reset though, and I trust it will be easier to reset microsoft's activations than some small publisher who could go belly up whenever.

Doesn't mean I like it at all though, but eh.

Yeah i think thats for all games pre-SSA, for newer games that tie the key to your GFWL account, there is no limit :)

apparently all GFWL games have 15 activations, it is apparently easy to reset though, and I trust it will be easier to reset microsoft's activations than some small publisher who could go belly up whenever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Apparently none of us have actually had any experiences with GFWL's DRM and activation limits. I think I reached a limit in Street Fighter 4 because it said my key was over it's limit, but simply inputting the key again (from Steam's right-click option) let it work. So who knows how lax it is.

Max said:
Why would you be paranoid enough to reformat multiple times? :lol

Should I be?
I dunno man. Should you?

Peeping-Tom.jpg

panda21

TouchMyBox said:

i thought theyhad a limit but it was reset every month? or is this 15 thing on top of that?

panda21 said:
i thought theyhad a limit but it was reset every month? or is this 15 thing on top of that?

Umm... I can confirm that there is a limit of 1 activation per day which I ran into with fallout 3.

Perhaps you're thinking of Batman which was a GFWL game but also used securom and the securom limit was 4 activations per month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom