• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

I bet this has been asked a million times and this may not be the right thread to ask...

...but is there any way to add those rectangle game images to games you've added to your library that you didn't buy from steam? I can photoshop my own but I can't find the option to change it in any menu. Just to clarify, it's the images you get when viewing your game list in "grid view" in your library.

Tabris said:
I bet this has been asked a million times and this may not be the right thread to ask...

...but is there any way to add those rectangle game images to games you've added to your library that you didn't buy from steam? I can photoshop my own but I can't find the option to change it in any menu. Just to clarify, it's the images you get when viewing your game list in "grid view" in your library.
This. C'mon GAF, help us out.

No not yet. But I'm sure you will be able to eventually. Also they recently said that they will be releasing tools for people to mod the UI so that should produce some very interesting results.

Minsc said:
Are you running a temperature monitoring program?

I'd recommend putting a CPU widget in your desktop so you can always see what your CPU usage as well.

See if your "other intensive processes" are taking it up to 100% CPU, handbrake is a good program to test with, that should use 100%.
markot said:
I use All CPU meter from the windows gadget gallery thingy. Shows the usage of all cores, and if you use HT it shows double! Also ram and crap. Nice.

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=587ef54f-e121-418b-b258-e583e105a0d6

oh, there is one with temps built in too >.<! http://addgadget.com/all_cpu_meter_temperatures/
I ran the desktop widget and it showed all 4 cores of my CPU maxed to 100% when running the backup. I am not sure why this started happening when running Steam's backup. I think I am going to buy thermal paste, replace the stock paste that came with my CPU, and see if that helps any when I backup my games. BIOS is showing it is running 47C idle, not sure if that is too high.

Edit: I finally figured out what my problem is. The heatsink on the CPU was chock full of dust. It was hidden by the fan mounted on top of it so I did not see it. I could not find canned air so I used the second best thing, my blower that fills up an air mattress I have. :lol . No problem backing up my Steam problems now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gamespot's review of conviction makes me feel a little bit better about skipping out on a great deal on principles that will have no impact. I hope for those that do play that some of the things they mentioned will be or have been patched already, though.

Kerrinck

Splinter Cell collection is tempting at this price.
How are the ports? Only Splinter Cell I ever played was the first one on my xbox.

Kerrinck said:
Splinter Cell collection is tempting at this price.
How are the ports? Only Splinter Cell I ever played was the first one on my xbox.
Original - Good port.
Pandora Tomorrow - So-so Port
Chaos Theory - Good Port
Double Agent - Bad Port
Conviction - Good port (DRM, and game quality excluded)

The controls for Splinter Cell feel a lot better for me on PC over consoles. Plus if you haven't played Chaos Theory you're missing out on a fantastic game experience. If anything just buy that one.

Kerrinck

Buttonbasher said:
Original - Good port.
Chaos Theory - Good Port
Double Agent - Bad Port

The controls for Splinter Cell feel a lot better for me on PC over consoles. Plus if you haven't played Chaos Theory you're missing out on a fantastic game experience. If anything just buy that one.

Thanks for the info, will probably bite on it.
Is pandora tomorrow part of the pack? It is not showing up in here but maybe it is region locked.

Buttonbasher said:
Original - Good port.
Chaos Theory - Good Port
Double Agent - Bad Port

Btw, Pandora Tomorrow is not in the package.

The Big Rig said:
Btw, Pandora Tomorrow is not in the package.
Oh yeah that's right. It's the only one not on Steam. I was just listing them off in order.

If anyone's interested though, Newegg has the first 2 games (Cell, Pandora Tomorrow) and some bonus missions for sale on one disc for 10 bucks with free shipping. Not trying to hijack the excitement of a STEAM thread with DISC games, but just throwing out the option as it's a pretty good deal.

dawn of war 2 purchased. Hopefully the single player is good cause i know nobody that plays this game anymore and few that did in the first place. For 20 bucks though, it's worth the risk.

Does the Steam version have Live connectivity?

2n0j9g1.jpg

oversensitive said:
Does the Steam version have Live connectivity?

2n0j9g1.jpg
I guess it would. I have achievements that show up on my xbox 360 live account for playing FUEL and GTA IV on the PC that I got through Steam.

DoW 2 page also says this: "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live"

Edit: I guess the answer is yes.

Schmattakopf said:
Someone posted this on CAG. Someone else said it was buggy, and it's also not on Xbox Live Originals even though the original and Chaos Theory are.
The main things I noticed with the PC version were when you switch to night vision everything becomes amazingly jaggy and blurry. Some people claimed it was because "Nightvision is really like that" but I wish I could have adjusted it. It locked up twice throughout, which wasn't that big of a deal due to my impulsive quicksaving habit.

But yeah, the port could have been a lot better. The first and third play great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Schmattakopf said:
Someone posted this on CAG. Someone else said it was buggy, and it's also not on Xbox Live Originals even though the original and Chaos Theory are.
Claims that games are buggy usually can be taken as hyperbole. Pandora Tomorrow has never had any bugs for me on multiple operating systems and different hardware configs. Chances are any bugs you encounter will be far from serious, if you do encounter any.

Lyphen said:
speculawyer said:
I guess it would. I have achievements that show up on my xbox 360 live account for playing FUEL and GTA IV on the PC that I got through Steam.

DoW 2 page also says this: "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows - Live"

Edit: I guess the answer is yes.
thanks boys

So for some reason I have two copies of every civilization game in my library and I'm fairly certain I didn't buy the pack twice. How do I go about fixing this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SenorDingDong said:
So for some reason I have two copies of every civilization game in my library and I'm fairly certain I didn't buy the pack twice. How do I go about fixing this?
Put the windows versions in a Turn-Based Strategy group and leave the rest in the minimized Games group.

Firehead

SenorDingDong said:
Mac versions, no way to get rid of them. Just make Steam show installed games only.
Edit: Or do what Stallion Free suggested.

Narag

Mr. B Natural said:
dawn of war 2 purchased. Hopefully the single player is good cause i know nobody that plays this game anymore and few that did in the first place. For 20 bucks though, it's worth the risk.

The single player campagin is fantastic.

vocab

nyong said:
What are the chances of Conviction running decently at 1900 1200 on an 8800 GTS?

I'm gonna go out on a guess and say it probably won't run at a playable framerate. Not at that res.

LocoMrPollock said:
Depending on your CPU, probably pretty good at medium to high. Isn't it a UE3 game?

Heavily modified UE2.5 game. Trust me, it doesn't run as good as you think. I can run it fine maxed out, but lower hardware will probably get ripped by this game.

Darklord

Banned
Lyphen said:
Apparently Dawn of War 2 has 10 activations or something like that.

I've never heard this. Anyway, 10 times is a bloody lot. 3 times is bad but 10? Your whole PC would be falling apart to need that many. It's a great game.

Buttonbasher said:

I thought it was a shit port? I've been hearing it runs worse than the original crysis.

vocab

Darklord said:
I thought it was a shit port? I've been hearing it runs worse than the original crysis.

That's debatable, and entirely depends on the hardware and the level of AA we are talking about. Same goes for Metro 2033. Conviction runs better than both Metro 2033, and Crysis (haven't had much time with the game because I don't really own it). For me at least.

How was the game itself? How long is it? Do you think multiplayer will die out in a few months? I am trying to decide between Conviction thanks to the deal or Settlers 7 because a few here recommend it.

Mr_Zombie

LovingSteam said:
How was the game itself? How long is it? Do you think multiplayer will die out in a few months?

The game is quite good and fun, but the main campaign is really, really short.
I was playing the game at my friend's house and beat 6 missions (over half of the game) in about 3-3.5 hours. Haven't played co-op though, so I dunno how much it can prolong the game.

LovingSteam said:
How was the game itself? How long is it? Do you think multiplayer will die out in a few months? I am trying to decide between Conviction thanks to the deal or Settlers 7 because a few here recommend it.

Conviction's main campaign is extremely short. It took me around 5 hours to beat it. If you aren't going to play co-op/multi-player, the game is really short on content.

Basileus777 said:
Conviction's main campaign is extremely short. It took me around 5 hours to beat it. If you aren't going to play co-op/multi-player, the game is really short on content.

Thanks man. That sounds way too short even for $45. Ehh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom