• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomwab

Have we had any explanation as to why all the recent Ubisoft releases aren't up on the UK store? Silent Hunter V, Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction are all still unavailable for us.

Bought DoW2 gold, 5th time Ive bought the original DoW2, 2 were gifts, 1 was my original copy, and 1 was when I bought the THQ pack, this one I will gift to another friend who doesnt have the game, haha.

Relic Ive pimped your shit so much, you better damn well make me another expansion for DoW2, preferably with differant races in story mode!

Im tempted to get the splinter cell pack too, but there isnt any real deals on the original games, and Conviction while I think its a great game, is a fucking horrible splinter cell. So I guess it depends on if I want to pay 10 bucks for each of the 3 originals, and get a PC copy of Conviction for only 15 bucks, I could play it in 3D I guess, that could be cool.

Ooooor, I could just hook my Xbox back up, and play the older ones, since they dont seem to play well on 360.

randomwab said:
Have we had any explanation as to why all the recent Ubisoft releases aren't up on the UK store? Silent Hunter V, Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction are all still unavailable for us.

There was mention on the Steam forums that Ubisoft has some sort of agreement with GAME. Not an official reason, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyways, does anyone know when the Hardware survey is generally updated? I really want to see the breakdown of OSX and Windows.

panda21

randomwab said:

this also happened with Metro 2033 (steamworks no less but only available in shops) and Blur so its not just an ubisoft thing. I think its something to do with the publishers and the exchange rate.

although several of them are on d2d. perhaps they offer the publishers a better cut or something.

MNC

So my girlfriend's birthday is tomorrow, and for one of the gifts I want to give her a game for her steam account, she only has portal so far. Her wishlist has:

Dinertown Detective Agency
Hotel Dash
Parking Dash
Escape Rosecliff Island

I really want to gift her Braid or world of goo to show her a quality game :lol But alas, I'd prefer to gift her something that's actually on her wishlist. Any thoughts? What has the longest playtime? Any suggestions for more casual friendly games?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MNC said:
So my girlfriend's birthday is tomorrow, and for one of the gifts I want to give her a game for her steam account, she only has portal so far. Her wishlist has:

Hotel Dash
Parking Dash
Escape Rosecliff Island

I really want to gift her Braid or world of goo to show her a quality game :lol But alas, I'd prefer to gift her something that's actually on her wishlist. Any thoughts? What has the longest playtime? Any suggestions for more casual friendly games?
Peggle and Plants vs Zombies are both quality games that are casual and a lot of fun. Although neither fit with the style of game she likes, going by the list of games that she wants that I have never heard of.

MNC said:

Hotel Dash
Parking Dash
Escape Rosecliff Island

Peggle or PvZ.

Minsc

Gold Member
Another vote for PvZ, game clicks well with most girls. It's cute enough and not too challenging to get a non-gamer discouraged, though it can get pretty tricky from time to time.

If you want a match 3 puzzle game, Simplz - Zoo is one of the best, it is a hybrid (ultra-lite) Sim City type game with zoo animals that you play match 3 levels inbetween to earn money to buy new animals and build roads/etc.

MNC said:

Hotel Dash
Parking Dash
Escape Rosecliff Island

Get her one from her wish list + one of either plants vs. zombies or peggle. Make it peggle if she hasn't played it before. But make sure to get at least 1 game from her list. Always stick to the list when it comes to games.

surprise: peggle or plants vs zombies (i would say plants vs zombies because its awesome ^^)

not a surprise: her wishlist

do you want to surprise her? then buy peggle or plants vs zombies.

a surprise is sometimes better ^^

Defense Grid: The Awakening will be getting $1.00 map packs starting June 2, 2010:

The first premium expansion pack for the award-winning Defense Grid: The Awakening comes to the Xbox 360 and PC this June in the form of Defense Grid:
Resurgence: eight new highly polished and balanced maps from the original creators of the definitive tower defense game.

For four consecutive weeks starting on June 2nd, a new pair of maps will be released providing new environments and strategic experiences, requiring new ways of thinking to beat back the aliens and protect the cores.

Each map pack will cost $ 0.99 or 80 Microsoft Points and will include two maps each having a campaign mode and 4 challenge modes. Defense Grid: Resurgence will be available for the Xbox 360 on Xbox LIVE Arcade and for PC on Steam and Direct2Drive. All map packs support new achievements and new high-score leaderboards.

Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 1 - June 2, 2010
Service Interruption and Height of Confusion

Two new challenging Defense Grid environments are the first two released in the Resurgence series. An obstructed road to the core housing gives the aliens a significant advantage in Service Interruption. Choose your towers wisely! Height of Confusion has a wide open surface, making for endless possibilities! Build anywhere you want in your defense of the power cores!

Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 2 - June 9, 2010
Risk Exposure and Roundabout

Don’t miss out on the next two Resurgence maps. Risk Exposure will allow you to discover your ability to defend two independent power core housings! Limited build spaces will test your skills as you divide your resources to discover optimal tower placement. On Roundabout, you will be faced with numerous possibilities for pathing and a variety of elevation changes. This one will have you going in circles to contain the alien menace!

Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 3 - June 16, 2010
Urban Planning and Tactical Diversion

It’s the third of four great map packs in the Resurgence series. Urban Planning is a dense environment with restrictive build spaces, forcing difficult decisions against continuously attacking hordes. In Tactical Diversion, survey the small, snow covered platform and consider numerous possibilities. But be prepared for the aerial assault!

Defense Grid: Resurgence Map Pack 4 - June 23, 2010
Kill Zone and Outflow

The final installment of the Resurgence series includes two more environments sure to challenge your tactical planning. In Kill Zone, will you construct your defenses near the spiral road in, the spiral road out, or the open platform in the middle? Perhaps all three! But you’ll need to be on your toes to deter the invaders. Overflow has numerous connected platforms that will provide countless options to turn back the enemies. Will you be able to keep the cores safe?

Genius

Neo Member
I got a question concerning buying Mass Effect off Steam. Does it support 720p or 1080p widescreen mode and is it worth 15 bucks ?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hope those Defense Grid DLCs get my Steam friends playing again. Nobody gave it a shot after they wiped the leaderboards. So I don't know how well I stack up!

Genius said:
I got a question concerning buying Mass Effect off Steam. Does it support 720p or 1080p widescreen mode and is it worth 15 bucks ?
Yes, it supports 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Genius said:

There is a wide variety of supported resolutions in the game settings itself, but you can pretty much force any resolution you can think of by messing around in the ini.

Shogun 2: Total War will be announced soon and it will most likely be a Steamworks title like Empire: Total War and Napoleon: Total War.

Fact Sheet said:
Title: Shogun 2: Total War
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: The Creative Assembly
Format: PC DVD
Players: 1 - 8
Ratings: ESRB Teen, PEGI 16, OFLC M, USK 12 – All provisional
Release Date: 2011

In 2000, the Creative Assembly re-invented the strategy genre with Shogun: Total War, an unprecedented blend of 3D real-time battles and turn-based management game and the first offering in the multi-award winning series. With over 7 million units sold and universal acclaim from the press and community, Total War has consistently been at the cutting edge of the genre and is today one of the most successful PC franchises of all time.

In 2011, the makers of Rome and Empire: Total War will release the sequel to the game that started it all. Shogun 2: Total War will take long-time veterans and newcomers alike to the next level of strategy gaming on PC. Based on 10 years of experience in making Total War, Shogun 2 is the perfection of the series with a new Artificial Intelligence (AI), revolutionary multiplayer modes, brand new campaign map options and epic 3D real-time battles.

It is the middle of the 16th century in Medieval Japan. The country, once ruled by a unified government, is now split into many warring clans. The player takes on the role of one Daimyo – the clan leader – and will use military engagements, economics and diplomacy to achieve the ultimate goal: re-unite Japan under his supreme command and become the new Shogun – the undisputed ruler of Japan.

Set during the golden age of Samurai warfare, Shogun 2 brings to life the most turbulent period of Japanese history.

Key Features:

Total War Redefined: Shogun 2 is the ultimate refinement of the original formula with a new, cutting-edge AI, more polish and online functionality than ever before. The result is the perfect mix of real-time and turn-based strategy gaming that invites both veterans of Total War and new players to experience the enjoyment and depth of the series.

New Character Progression: Choose from 9 different clans and compete on and offline for the undisputed supremacy of Medieval Japan. Gain experience to level up your own character-warlord as well as your generals and agents.

A Complete Single And Multiplayer Offering: Play through the Main Campaign in single player or invite a friend online to play competitively or cooperatively in Campaign Multiplayer mode. Join 8-player multiplayer battles with your own upgradable avatar and climb the online Leaderboard to show the world who reigns supreme. Also including exciting new modes of team play for clans, a first in the Total War series.

New Generation AI System: Developed according to Sun Tzu’s principles in the Art of War, the Artificial Intelligence constantly analyses its situation and reacts to your every move with greater precision and variety.

Improved Land And Naval Battle Gameplay: Land battles never felt so realistic with new multi-staged castle sieges and terrain features changing according to the weather and time of the day – turning each engagement into a tactical challenge. Set buildings on fire to force garrisoned troops out and use your units’ special abilities to turn the tide of the battle.

Naval combat also offers more variety with the addition of coastal battles. Islands can work as effective cover for your ships, while sand bars and reefs can be used as traps against an enemy fleet.

Accessible And In-Depth Empire-Building Gameplay: A streamlined User Interface makes management of your kingdom much easier. Build and govern cities, recruit and train troops, conduct diplomacy and manage your agents – each feature is now introduced with comprehensive tutorials, gradually revealing the depth of the Shogun 2 campaign map – the heart and soul of the Total War experience.

MNC said:

Hotel Dash
Parking Dash
Escape Rosecliff Island

Why not gift something from the wishlist and something you want to show her? PvZ really clicked with my gf...and she's as far from a gamer as you can possibly get..

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
crimsonheadGCN said:
Shogun 2: Total War will be announced soon and it will most likely be a Steamworks title like Empire: Total War and Napoleon: Total War.
I've been waiting a long time for this day. A long time.

Very awesome.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
tjohn86 said:
People should try the Alien Breed demo. It plays pretty well with a 360 controller. Feels like HD shadowgrounds.
Yeah, it got pretty average reviews on 360 but its a pretty good arcade shooter, going by the demo. The price is a little steep at the moment, but I will pick it up if/when it drops to $10 or below.

charsace

crimsonheadGCN said:
I used to love destroying enemy moral in the first game and watch the whole army run lol

Dynoro

kamspy said:
How great is the DoW2 expansion? There are a painful lack of informative reviews for the game.
It is excellent; totally got me back into DoW 2. I fully recommend it if you liked DoW2

randomwab

I want the DoW2 expansion, but what's the cheapest way to grab it. It's £15 on the UK store, is it cheaper on the US? If so, any kind US gaffer wanna gift me it and I can Paypal them the cash?

thechemist

This morning I keep getting this message after I enter my password,
'Steam is having trouble connecting to the Steam Servers'
Is Steam down or just for me?

bathala

Banned
thechemist said:
just opened Steam. no problem

MNC

I <3 Memes said:
Get her one from her wish list + one of either plants vs. zombies or peggle. Make it peggle if she hasn't played it before. But make sure to get at least 1 game from her list. Always stick to the list when it comes to games.
She's played Peggle Extreme - Enough not to gift another peggle? I have no idea how different it is from the regular peggles, but she burned out on peggle extreme within a few hours. I'm now thinking list + tokitori/pvz... Hmmmm.

Zzoram

thechemist said:

that's happened to me ~once a year seemingly randomly. it fixes itself after a random period of time, a couple hours at most, but sometimes after a few minutes

MNC

Going for PvZ.... She better like it :lol

E: FUCK "people who bought this also bought toki tori"

Way to mock me, steam :lol

And I'm all out. Saving up for RDR will have to wait ;-;

Mr_Zombie

I've just bought Half-Life 2 (haven't played the game yet).
Damn you Steam and your weekend deals - you makes my gaming backlog rise :/

thechemist said:
I have the same problem. Last time I had it (when the new Steam UI beta started) I remember reinstalling Steam helped. I do not want to do this now, however, because I don't wanna redownload my games again (forgot to back them up :().

MNC

Add me to the can't login people. Halp!

Also, you can manually backup your steamapps folder. It's in steam/steamapps :V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom