• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Slavik81 said:
Since steam is 1€ = 1$

35iazkg.jpg

Finally an upside to EU on steam?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The weekend deal is usually posted around Noon PST.

Today is Braid's release day for the PC, for those interested.

tabsina

zombieshavebrains said:
Weekend deal isn't posted yet?

I don't know if it is different in australia, but I took advantage of the weekend deal about 7 hours ago.. Peggle Extreme + Peggle Nights for US$10

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is Azureth a gaf member? He's trying to get people's account information on steam. Is there a way to contact steam about it?

Well he is part of the Neogaf group. Just send Steam Support a link to his community profile.

Volcynika

Lots of updates for some games today, plus Cogs

Cogs is now available on Steam. Work can wait, must play Cogs. Try the free demo.

Lazy 8 Studios™ Launches Cogs Puzzle Game
Rich steampunk look sets a new standard for casual games

San Francisco, CA — April 14, 2009 — Independent developer Lazy 8 Studios announced today the worldwide release of Cogs, their debut puzzle game. Players can download Cogs for the PC via Steam, the online game distribution service from Valve, Inc. [http://store.steampowered.com/app/26500/] A demo version is available for free.

According to Lazy 8 Studios founder Rob Jagnow, Steam was their first choice for online distribution: "With an audience of more than 15 million worldwide, a high threshold for game quality and a strong reputation for customer satisfaction, Steam stands out as a great choice."

In Cogs, players interact with a 3D environment, using sliding tiles to build machines. The 50 puzzles have a surprising variety. As players advance through the levels, they build helicopters, inflate hot-air balloons, compose music, power rocket ships, and more. Cogs has three gameplay modes: when players complete puzzles in Inventor Mode, they can further challenge their skills by racing against time or working with a limited number of moves.

Cogs was created by the two-man team of Lazy 8 Studios founder and graphics engineer Rob Jagnow and digital artist Brendan Mauro. As Jagnow explained, it has taken some time for the game to become a reality. "From conception to completion, I've worked on Cogs for more than five years. In that time, it has evolved substantially based on user feedback. It's become something far more than I originally imagined."

Jagnow credits Mauro with the polished steampunk look that gives the game much of its appeal. "This is one of Brendan's first major game projects. He came to Lazy 8 Studios with a creative vision about where he could take this game and he's really followed through. One of our early testers described the look of Cogs as 'just delicious.'"

The refined appearance makes Cogs stand out in the casual game market. As Jagnow explains, "we wanted to leverage the graphics hardware that is available on most modern computers. We want the player to feel immersed in the mechanical world that we've created."

About Lazy 8 Studios™
Lazy 8 Studios, LLC, is an independent game studio in San Francisco, CA. Founded in 2008, Lazy 8 specializes in casual games.

http://www.lazy8studios.com

Kilroy

Cogs looks freaking awesome. Of course, using In the Hall of the Mountain King in a trailer makes it 42 times more awesome.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Cogs certainly is awesome. Don't let the sliding puzzle aspect put you off. Download the demo and buy this shit.

Volcynika

Dawn of War II single player demo available + buy it for 25% off before Monday

And two new Pop Cap games

Two new seek and find adventure games are now available from PopCap Games.

Amazing Adventures Around the World takes you to 25 unique and exotic locations around the globe in search of the most expensive gem ever known.

In Escape Rosecliff Island, an unexpected storm has left you shipwrecked on a mysterious and remote private island. Seek & find cleverly hidden objects and solve puzzles to find a way off the island!

Both games also have a one-hour trial available.

Javaman said:
Ugh, sliding tile puzzles. The bane of my existence.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of them either, but this one just looks so awesome and looks to advance the sliding puzzle concept quite a bit, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Fear 2 just started updating with the Toy Soldiers map pack.

F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin

Added 'Toy Soldier' multiplayer maps

Fixed some AI path finding errors

Fixed the way the Leaderboard counted wins/losses for Blitz games

Team is notified when an EPA comes online

Jtrizzy

Just bought Braid as my first game on Steam. I have a centrino duo laptop.. 2300@1.66ghz, 980mhz, 99gb ram.

As you can see I don't know much about PC gaming and have a weak setup, but if there are some old cheap games or games like Braid (that run on a meh laptop) that you guys would recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Akia

Jtrizzy said:
Just bought Braid as my first game on Steam. I have a centrino duo laptop.. 2300@1.66ghz, 980mhz, 99gb ram.

As you can see I don't know much about PC gaming and have a weak setup, but if there are some old cheap games or games like Braid (that run on a meh laptop) that you guys would recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Peggle, Peggle Nights and World of Goo.

All amazing 10/10 games. Those plus Braid and your set for a good month.

Jtrizzy

Thanks man, I'll check those out. I read a lot of talk about Audio Surf around here, and wasn't that impressed. Maybe it was my computer, but the demo seemed kind of uninteresting.

drkOne

Jtrizzy said:

Checkout Steam's Indie section. After you check out Akia's recommendations you should try Aquaria, Audiosurf and Darwinia.

LovingSteam said:
Weekend deal up (yes, Thursday who knows). It's Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10560/

$15 usd.

Is it worth it for those who own it?

$15!?

Yes, very much, its the most in depth sports game ever conceived, nothing else is a patch on i in terms of accuracy and depth.

£15 in the UK which isn't as amazing deal as it is in the US but enough to make me finally pick it up. I only held off on the 2009 version because of the fact the game is such a time sink.

Doytch said:
donno y u wudnt jus play fifa?????

2.5/10

What the hell? This is a management sim, FIFA doesn't have 1/100th of the depth that Football Manager games have. They're a totally different genre, comparing this to Fifa is like someone saying Hearts of Iron is basically the same as Call of Duty.

Roquentin

brain_stew said:
What the hell? This is a management sim, FIFA doesn't have 1/100th of the depth that Football Manager games have. They're a totally different genre, comparing this to Fifa is like someone saying Hearts of Iron is basically the same as Call of Duty.
I think it's a reference to this thread/review.

Boonoo

Jtrizzy said:

Half Life (the original) is alway a great buy.

Rayven

aka surume
brain_stew said:
:lol I don't know how Doytch could have written a more sarcastic post.

Raycatcher left me feeling a bit flat. Bad move not to let people try their own music in the demo.. it seems to be the only noteworthy feature of the game, much like Audiosurf.

10% on that price doesn't seem like much of a saving when the demo leaves so many questions about the gameplay. Looks like it has some cool ideas. Looking at the trailer it could be doing so much more visually to make the music part of the experience.

Volcynika

Visualante said:
Raycatcher left me feeling a bit flat. Bad move not to let people try their own music in the demo.. it seems to be the only noteworthy feature of the game, much like Audiosurf.

10% on that price doesn't seem like much of a saving when the demo leaves so many questions about the gameplay. Looks like it has some cool ideas.

Yeah, it seems a bit odd. Besides, 50 cents isn't really much of "savings" for me. :p

Hey folks,

NCsoft is up on Steam with Guild Wars, Cities of Heroes, and Lineage. Also, Stalin vs Martians is up for pre order for 20% off for $14.99!!! I am actually thinking of picking it up lol!

Volcynika

Lineage II for 50% off? Didn't notice that, and not sure how long it lasts.

EDIT: Ah, it's NCSoft. Some of their titles are marked down for limited time, apparently.

legend166

Ok, I'm trying to open steam, and it's saying thing:

"Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for steam.exe and restart Steam. Press 'Cancel' to permanently ignore this warning and continue."

wtf, I have no compatibility settings.

Sibylus

Banned
legend166 said:
Ok, I'm trying to open steam, and it's saying thing:

"Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for steam.exe and restart Steam. Press 'Cancel' to permanently ignore this warning and continue."

wtf, I have no compatibility settings.
Check any of your steam game shortcuts on your desktop. They point to steam.exe (with a commandline command to point to the right game after it launches), so a compatibility setting could affect it.

Plants vs. Zombies is up for preorder and its only £6.99 (which I guess puts it at $10 in the US?) with a free copy of Heavy Weapon as a preorder bonus. Pretty damn tempting, its already had some rave reviews, the price is right and freebies are always a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom