• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysgen

Volcynika said:
I heard the online is kinda dead and has the usual hackers that maxed their level, though that's from a few posts. I remember someone getting some weird hitching or something on it (Dark Octave maybe?)

Solid. I get 60fps with 2AA/2AF on an I7-920/4890 with some fluctuation. A couple of people here complained of some type of hitching. Online community is small but enough to play the primary m/p mode. If you're interested in any of the other modes get the 360 version. AAA arcade racer though.

onken

Diablohead said:
Batman AA is a gfwl game so dlc is bought through live, just press the Home key or go to the downloads part of the game's menu, whatever it's called.

Reminds me that I really should finish that hard run I am 90% into.

Urgh, does it support non-360 controllers?

NIN90

So, someone wanna gift Blur to me? Seems like it's region blocked for me >.<

I can gift you a game in the same price range. That's the only option since I currently have no funds in my paypal account.

MoFuzz

onken said:
Urgh, does it support non-360 controllers?
I can confirm for a fact that it works with the Logitech Rumblepad, both the wired and wireless. In fact, I used it with the 360 controller emulator and it was perfect, button prompts, rumble, everything.

onken

MoFuzz said:
I can confirm for a fact that it works with the Logitech Rumblepad, both the wired and wireless. In fact, I used it with the 360 controller emulator and it was perfect, button prompts, rumble, everything.

Awesome, thanks.

LocoMrPollock said:
Why? Which do you use? And I swear to god man, if you say the DS3, I'm gonna... I'm gonna... post a picture of a facepalm.jpg.

I'll do it motherfucker!

Yeah, I much prefer the DS3. Pull your head out of your ass and appreciate not everyone thinks like you do.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
darkpaladinmfc said:
With MotionJoy you can make your computer think that a Sixaxis (And probably DS3) is a 360 controller.
Yeah and it works with a DS3 (rumbles too if the game supports it :D ).

Forget the Sonic-cycle, I have the Steam-cycle! I buy a game because of a cheap deal; don't play it for months; say I'll never buy a Steam game on sale unless I'll play it immediately; then buy another Steam game when I'm not tempted. *Stares at the entire THQ pack purchased last November, and Altitude from last week, none of which have been touched*

onken said:
Yeah, I much prefer the DS3. Pull your head out of your ass and appreciate not everyone thinks like you do.

I warned you man..

facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg

Did you really think I wouldn't do it?

derFeef

Prophet Steve said:
Oh yeah, also about the Batman PC edition, the "The Dark Knight" suit looks amazing and is definitely a pro in the PC version.
Hmm, how long do midweek sales last?

edit: thanks (I feel dumb)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
darkpaladinmfc said:
Forget the Sonic-cycle, I have the Steam-cycle! I buy a game because of a cheap deal; don't play it for months; say I'll never buy a Steam game on sale unless I'll play it immediately; then buy another Steam game when I'm not tempted. *Stares at the entire THQ pack purchased last November, and Altitude from last week, none of which have been touched*
I'm starting to be more careful with my purchases. Bought, and hated Far Cry 2. And I just uninstalled Tomb Raider Underworld because of it's absolute shit controls (KMB and 360 controller). Both were bought pretty cheap, but they not only wasted my money, but my time.

Edit: Crap, now I'm thinking of buying Duels of the Planeswalkers.

KePoW

Banned
Is Batman AA a GFWL game with achievements? I would double dip for that and better graphics/PhysX, but probably pass if no achievements.

NIGHT-

LocoMrPollock said:
Why? Which do you use? And I swear to god man, if you say the DS3, I'm gonna... I'm gonna... post a picture of a facepalm.jpg.

I'll do it motherfucker!

This. The DS3 is terrible.

Just bought Batman GOTY through steam =]

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Twig said:
YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME HERE
Eh, the game waaaaaaaaaaaaay overstayed its welcome. I liked the gun-jamming, the day/night cycle, and a lot of what it brought to the table. But when it shoved a second world, with the exact same mission designs at me 20 hours in...my whole view of the game changed. It was like it didn't want me to beat it. It just wanted to torture me with repetition and stealth jeeps.

So at that point, the game turned into an MMO-like grind, where I grabbed a quest, did something I've already done a dozen times before, with little to no story to keep me going. Lost interest, uninstalled, vowed to never play ever again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I actually quite enjoy Far Cry 2, but something about the constantly respawning check points prevents me from playing more than 5 hours or so into the game. The whole thing is just so damn aggravating and absolutely destroys any immersion the game may have.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FC2 seems like one of those love-it-or-hate-it things. People that love it absolutely swear by it. I bought it for PS3 during the Amazon holiday sale and I'll confess I couldn't get into it at the time. Then again I was playing through both Cryses at the time so I can't say I necessarily gave it a fair shake.

legend166

tjohn86 said:
Ive tried and failed to play farcry2 twice now... does it get better after the first gun fight? haha

When I first got it and played it for a few hours, I hated it. I came back to it 3 months later and enjoyed it much more.

Then I finished the first map after about 10-12 hours and said "Oh, this is one of those Ubisoft games which drags on for too long without introducing any new game mechanics."

I mean, aside from the first hour, I really did enjoy it.

It could have been amazing with mods. Alas.

tjohn86 said:
Ive tried and failed to play farcry2 twice now... does it get better after the first gun fight? haha

I hated the game for the first few hours or so, and can understand why some people would be turned off by it. My buddy died early on, so I kept dying every time I ran into a bunch of enemies. I never really cared about the whole respawning thing since I mostly just kept moving, but the fact that every asshole in a car wanted to ram you into the dirt struck a nerve. So yea, first few hours were a pain. But then something clicked. It's been a while, but I think I stopped focusing so much on going from mission to mission to mission and just did whatever I felt like doing. Wonderful game just for the world it provides.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
tjohn86 said:

To sum up the 10 "It sucks"/"it's awesome" comments:

The game can be awesome fun, but you need to make it fun.

FC2 tries to be a freeform FPS game that lets you go wherever and complete missions all over the map in an effort to get you to experiment with its mechanics. It tries a variety of things to spice up the core gameplay - the fire spreading mechanics, the fact that rockets will occasionally mis-fire and cause havoc, guns will jam and decay, malaria will strike at the worst times, wild animals wander the game's plains, and random security patrols will try to shoot you. It also provides you with an extensive variety of FPS weapons - rocket launchers, mortars, silenced pistols, flare guns, shotguns, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, etc. - and essentially asks you to go to town figuring out how to use these different tools to invent new and hilarious ways to kill guys. I have all sorts of hilarious stories about guns jamming at just the wrong moment, or that time a rocket mis-fired and then exploded my only escape vehicle, or that time the enemy missed me, hit a gas tank, and I was caught by the resulting flames. It's pretty enthralling when you use a variety of weapons and go out of your way to place yourself in wacky scenarios.

But that's also the game's biggest weakness. It won't meet you half-way. If you play lazily or expect the game to bring the fun to you, the game sucks. You can churn through it with just your machine gun and a magnum, get frustrated at having to stop at every stupid goddamned security depot, and find the missions crazy repetitive because you're just shooting the same faceless mercs over and over again, and find the gun-jamming mechanics or random patrols to just be absolute annoyances instead of giving the game some variety. Transportation is often a bit of a pain, the malaria mechanic is more of a plot device than a great tool to spice up gameplay, and finding diamonds in random ass places is sometimes a pain.

Regardless of which camp you fall into, though, the first hour or two of the game are really slow. Things open up later, and that's either when the game starts being more fun or starts sucking. I will also say that if you ARE the type to find your own fun with the game, it gets more and more fun as more and more weapon options open to you. Rusty pistols and assault rifles in the early game are boring and prone to break compared to, say, a guy equipped with a mortar and some landmines. How are you gonna complete the raid on their base with THAT loadout? That's the sort of fun you need to find.

Twig said:
I assume the biggest detriment before was the lack of DLC on Steam's store. They've since added it.

(At least I think that happened after F3 was developed.)
No it was MS paying for it to buff out their Live service,

Sciz said:
It was changed even in the freeware version a while back. I think it was the same update that overhauled the final level.

Oh good. A shame in a way, because it really did fit the game well, but I'm glad the developer took the proper route and fixed the issue.

jbeatle

Neo Member
parasight said:
A Valve employee mentioned there would definitely be one (or more) on Thursday (a day late due to WWDC).

What's WWDC? I was pretty disappointed last Weds, I hope they release something notable this week.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jbeatle said:
What's WWDC? I was pretty disappointed last Weds, I hope they release something notable this week.

Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom