• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

tjohn86 said:
Ive tried and failed to play farcry2 twice now... does it get better after the first gun fight? haha

Yes, it's one of the best open world action games of all time. GOTY 2008. Just stick with it.

Danneee

crimsonheadGCN said:
zzfshopper, which is the eBay store of ZipZoomfly, is currently selling a copy of the following: Grid, DiRT, and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon for $9.99 and these are all activatable through Steam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grid-DiRT-Opera...ames_Games&hash=item519330812d#ht_1358wt_1137

And how would that work? None of those games are activated via cd key on steam : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Ledsen said:
Yes, it's one of the best open world action games of all time. GOTY 2008. Just stick with it.

It's pretty, but other than that it doesn't really deliver.

tjohn86

Campster said:
To sum up the 10 "It sucks"/"it's awesome" comments:

The game can be awesome fun, but you need to make it fun.

FC2 tries to be a freeform FPS game that lets you go wherever and complete missions all over the map in an effort to get you to experiment with its mechanics. It tries a variety of things to spice up the core gameplay - the fire spreading mechanics, the fact that rockets will occasionally mis-fire and cause havoc, guns will jam and decay, malaria will strike at the worst times, wild animals wander the game's plains, and random security patrols will try to shoot you. It also provides you with an extensive variety of FPS weapons - rocket launchers, mortars, silenced pistols, flare guns, shotguns, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, etc. - and essentially asks you to go to town figuring out how to use these different tools to invent new and hilarious ways to kill guys. I have all sorts of hilarious stories about guns jamming at just the wrong moment, or that time a rocket mis-fired and then exploded my only escape vehicle, or that time the enemy missed me, hit a gas tank, and I was caught by the resulting flames. It's pretty enthralling when you use a variety of weapons and go out of your way to place yourself in wacky scenarios.

But that's also the game's biggest weakness. It won't meet you half-way. If you play lazily or expect the game to bring the fun to you, the game sucks. You can churn through it with just your machine gun and a magnum, get frustrated at having to stop at every stupid goddamned security depot, and find the missions crazy repetitive because you're just shooting the same faceless mercs over and over again, and find the gun-jamming mechanics or random patrols to just be absolute annoyances instead of giving the game some variety. Transportation is often a bit of a pain, the malaria mechanic is more of a plot device than a great tool to spice up gameplay, and finding diamonds in random ass places is sometimes a pain.

Regardless of which camp you fall into, though, the first hour or two of the game are really slow. Things open up later, and that's either when the game starts being more fun or starts sucking. I will also say that if you ARE the type to find your own fun with the game, it gets more and more fun as more and more weapon options open to you. Rusty pistols and assault rifles in the early game are boring and prone to break compared to, say, a guy equipped with a mortar and some landmines. How are you gonna complete the raid on their base with THAT loadout? That's the sort of fun you need to find.

Thanks for this man. I will give it a true shot after I finish with Batman. Wow what a great game. $20 well spent.

Darklord said:
How many gigs is Batman: AA to download? I wish steam would clearly say before buying it.

My PC reads it as 8.15 GB on disk. In steam though, it's saying "256 mb". That's clearly an error. So yea, about ~8 GB.

Caoz

poppabk said:
Where can you get a 360 controller for $15? Or am I reading this wrong?

I bought a wireless one on amazon warehouse deals last week for $17. So I think you may be able to get a usb one for $15 if you wait for it. It was open box but it still had the stickers and original packaging.

McLovin

I see Batman AA on sale for 20 today. I got it on ps3 but it was easily one of my favorite games this gen. I think I'm gonna buy, but I really don't think its a game I should play with a keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know if theirs a driver for the 360 wireless controller connected via usb? It would suck if I have to buy a pc 360 controller for this :(

derFeef

McLovin said:
I see Batman AA on sale for 20 today. I got it on ps3 but it was easily one of my favorite games this gen. I think I'm gonna buy, but I really don't think its a game I should play with a keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know if theirs a driver for the 360 wireless controller connected via usb? It would suck if I have to buy a pc 360 controller for this :(
If you have the wireless usb adapter there is no problem. Doing it that way myself.

Volcynika

EDIT: ^ Well there ya go!

McLovin said:

Hope you find it fast, sale ends in about 50 minutes :lol

You need a special receiver to use the wireless 360 controller on PC. The "play and charge" cable is just for power and charging that battery pack.

Volcynika

crimsonheadGCN said:
50 minutes? I thought today was Wednesday and the sale ends tomorrow at 4PM PST ;p

:lol

I thought it was Thursday

I HAVE BEEN FOILED AND HAVE NO BRAIN! :(

Someone feel free to hit me with a brick.

Its possible that Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings will be going the weekend sale tomorrow. They were just added to the registry. Usually games that have been released for sometime are added due to an impending sale.

Edit: Looks like Valve will be releasing a Battlefield collection soon which includes BF2 & BF:BC 2

Lothars

LovingSteam said:
Its possible that Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings, and Battlefield Collection will be going the weekend sale tomorrow. They were just added to the registry. Usually games that have been released for sometime are added due to an impending sale.

I will picking up Dragon Age Awakenings if it is on sale this weekend, I have been wanting to for PC but was just waiting for a sale.

Kerrinck said:
Awakening would be nice although isn't it too soon to have a sale? Not even 3 months since it has been out.

We will see. Its possible that it didn't sell as well as hoped (see: Sup Commander 2). Also a sale on a game 3 months after release sounds about right in regards to Steam.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Too bad you have to own the Steam version of DA:O to get Awakenings off there. :-( I got a virtually brand new copy of DA:O off Goozex that even came with the DLC codes unused.

Chris R

Archie said:
Too bad you have to own the Steam version of DA:O to get Awakenings off there. :-( I got a virtually brand new copy of DA:O off Goozex that even came with the DLC codes unused.
That really sucks :| I might just end up never playing Awakenings since I got DA:O off EAs store due to the deluxe edition only being like $35 the week of release due to a ton of coupons/codes/ect :(

Javaman

LovingSteam said:
Its possible that Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings will be going the weekend sale tomorrow. They were just added to the registry. Usually games that have been released for sometime are added due to an impending sale.

Edit: Looks like Valve will be releasing a Battlefield collection soon which includes BF2 & BF:BC 2

Bummer they're not adding the BF1942 collection. I had way more fun with the earlier ones and wouldn't mind triple dipping just to get them on steam.

fresquito

How's the SecuROM in Batman? I read there's only four activation limit, but can you get activations back? I damn hate SecuROM, I skipped Crysis because of it, and am planning on doing the same on AA because the same reason. Why do I have to go through this when I'm paying for the game and pirates only have to worry about downloading a damn crack?

I swear not jumping to the other side for some games is getting pretty difficult these days.

benjipwns

Banned
Under your tools there's a tool to revoke a license which gives you an activation back I think. (Not sure.)

EDIT: Maybe not, appears to be four installs a month. And you just need the tool to install on another PC.

nexen

fresquito said:
I swear not jumping to the other side for some games is getting pretty difficult these days.
I hate DRM too but I have to say that disliking the strings attached to a product is a poor justification for stealing it.

Just abstain.

fresquito

nexen said:
I hate DRM too but I have to say that disliking the strings attached to a product is a poor justification for stealing it.

Just abstain.
I disagree.

Why should I abstain? Why can't I experience Crysis everytime I want when I've paid for it? In what right they deny me the right to play MY game after having uninstalled it for the fourth or fifth time? Why should I go through all this? Should I just skip Crysis altogether?

I don't think so. If they can't get their act together it's not my fault, and I'm not going to be the fool of the story. But if the SecuROM in Batman says you've got a four installs limit per month, that's fine by me. If there's a revoking tool, it's fine by me. I mean, I hate SecuROM and I don't understand why should the paying consumers have more problems than the pirates and why the hell they don't get rid of damn SecuROM when Steam has proven itself as a good, non intrusive DRM itself.

fresquito said:
I disagree.

Why should I abstain? Why can't I experience Crysis everytime I want when I've paid for it? In what right they deny me the right to play MY game after having uninstalled it for the fourth or fifth time? Why should I go through all this? Should I just skip Crysis altogether?

I don't think so. If they can't get their act together it's not my fault, and I'm not going to be the fool of the story.
Agreed. Pirates are obviously not affected by DRM... which would imply it's in place for us. So they treat us like criminals either way while the actual criminals get the superior version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom