• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
LegendOfGood said:
Anybody think they'll release Half-Life:Source for Mac anytime soon? Been wanting to play that.

Honestly, HL:S is not worth waiting for, it is really not what it sounds like when you hear 'half life ported to the source engine'.

It plays and looks exactly the same as regular Half life, except it has nice water shaders which are horribly jarring as they look so out of place compared to the low poly / texture models and environments used within it.

What you actually are probably waiting for is the Black Mesa mod for HL2.
Which a lot of people are.

Wallach

So I can't find my retail copy of Crysis: ME now that I've moved.

When was the last time that went on sale? Wonder if it's worth waiting for a while to see if it pops up..

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Wallach said:
So I can't find my retail copy of Crysis: ME now that I've moved.

When was the last time that went on sale? Wonder if it's worth waiting for a while to see if it pops up..

I might be mistaken, but I don't think it's gone on sale since the Great Holiday Wallet Massacre last year. Whether that means it's due for another sale or a price drop, I don't know.

coopolon

I just added up all my Steam transactions and I've spent ~ $600 on Steam. Holy shit. The biggest offenders have been the packs, the THQ Pack, the Eidos Pack, the Rockstar pack. Almost everything else has been sub $20 (frequently sub $10). Steam says I have 116 games, so I guess I've spent ~ $5.17 per game, which isn't too bad. Unfortunately, some of these games are pretty crap.

In other news though, I am really impressed with Steam for remembering all the purchases I've made since I first started using STeam again in SEptember, 2008. It doesn't have my Half Life 1 or 2 purchases, but those were done so long ago it was when Steam was a piece of crap.

Sysgen

Lyphen said:
I need to run away until the weekend so I don't end up buying Fallout 3: GOTY.

There's no where to run no where to hide. Great deal. When it came out I was so engrossed that I completed FO3 in 120 hours in one week. Think about it. Now add all the exspansion packs and I think it might be time for another visit.

fresquito

I'm tempted to get FO3. However, As much as I like (modded) Oblivion, I can't get to play that often, because after all, all you do is kill some monsters in some dungeon and roam aimlessly around the (awesome) enviroment. As much as I appreciate how big the world is, in the end all you do is kill some monsters here an there, because interaction is totally borked otherwise. So it gets stale after a while and I have to quit playing to enjoy its (roaming) freedom once again.

Is FO3 any better in this regard? Or as with Oblivion, the big and one point is the awesome world and the sense of freedom to roam?

hamchan said:
It uses Steamworks now :D
I know.

I was kinda shocked when I saw a fullscreen ad while opening my steam store :lol

That doesn't mean I don't like it though. They should do this to all major game releases

nexen said:
I hate DRM too but I have to say that disliking the strings attached to a product is a poor justification for stealing it.

Just abstain.

Yeah this is bullshit and just shows how fucking neutered some people when it comes to their own rights. And yeah I know "Terms of Use, blah blah blah"

Sometimes DRM is just there to screw the person. I bought Dirt2 off of D2D during their spring sale. Spent a goddamn week trying DOZENS of fixes trying to get the game to work. Had absolutely no luck and decided to just torrent the game and use my CD key. Voila, first fucking time the game works.

DRM can fuck off sometimes and I can't blame some people with not wanting to deal with it.

Tenks

I didn't even like Fallout all that much yet here I am buying the GOTY bundle just for the DLC. I have problems.

I did love Oblivion, though. I got that just for the DLC :D

Minsc

Gold Member
AnkhWeasel said:
Woah woah woah.

Not Dragon Age, apparently - instead, all Bethesda GOTY edition games are on sale:
Fallout 3 GOTY - $24.99 (50% off)
Oblivion GOTY - $8.50 (66% off)
Morrowind GOTY - $5.00 (75% off)

Also, the New Vegas pre-order is up - $49.99.

Edit: Yowza, beaten badly.

Does it say how long this sale is going to run for?

markot said:
I own Fallout 3 >_< But never got any DLC cause I dont want to buy microsoft bucks...

Is it worth it >_>?

I own it too, but the DLC is basically required to use the mods correctly. And the DLC (bought individually) costs me more than the game itself, so this isn't a bad deal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oblivion + DLC and "expansions" for 8.50? No question about that. Bought :D. But I have yet to finish playing Arcanum so I'll beat that before jumping into Oblivion.

Now, we need one of those fancy lists with mods that you shouldn't play the game without, like, let's say.

What's this about a Dragon Age sale?

mileS

FlawlessCowboy said:
I own Oblivion, and yet I want to buy Oblivion. How weird is that?

haha thats Steam sales for ya!

I already own Fallout 3 on 360 but now that I have my new PC I can't pass this deal up. I'm glad I stopped playing around the point where you meet up with Three dog for the first time.

How long is this deal going to last? I kind of want to get Oblivion as well but damn don't know when I'll get around to playing it.

Tenks

Last time I played Fallout I was a standard rifle + heavy armor bad-karma character. Is focusing on more 'rogue' going to be a good enough change of pace?

RedSwirl

Alright you guys got another chance to sell me on Oblivion.

I've resisted every sale so far for the simple fact that I can't see at all what distinguishes the game from the rest of the blob of Tolkien-derivative WRPGs out there. I'm liking Fallout 3 a lot, but that's mostly because of the post-apocalyptic setting.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've only played Oblivion (and never did the main questline), but I've never played Fallout 3. I was always expecting for a GOTY discount on Steam. But after reading a lot about the game for a Year, it seems the shooting is less than satisfactory and it's more Oblivion.

But then i get conflicting reports as it being one of the best games from 2008ish. I really liked Oblivion, and now I'm wondering if I should buy it or not. I'm really torn about this. :lol

Ledsen

Holy crap, .exe-modifying mods don't work on Oblivion on Steam?

edit: Wait, they do work with the latest version of Oblivion Script Extender? I'll have to investigate more... Oblivion without those mods is NOT worth getting even for free...

edit2: false alarm... it didn't work a year ago but it does now :)

panda21

Easy_D said:
I might just be an idiot but how do you get to the actual guide? :lol

yeah i'm not seeing it either. also the guides page is completely empty.

did Octagon do a fallout 3 modding guide too?

I think he is busy with the site, not seeing it right now.

@panda

No, he just started with it. Only Oblivion and FUEL, I believe he is planning on doing Mass Effect.

Saterium

If I own Fallout 3 but buy the GOTY does it replace my original version or create two Fallout 3s in my game menu?

Weird question but I'm just curious.

About to pick up Oblivion. I've only ever played it when it launched on 360. Thanks to 'TheOctagon' for his mod guide (in the screenshots thread), for helping give inspiration to buy this.

Sysgen

drizzle said:
I've only played Oblivion (and never did the main questline), but I've never played Fallout 3. I was always expecting for a GOTY discount on Steam. But after reading a lot about the game for a Year, it seems the shooting is less than satisfactory and it's more Oblivion.

But then i get conflicting reports as it being one of the best games from 2008ish. I really liked Oblivion, and now I'm wondering if I should buy it or not. I'm really torn about this. :lol

The big thing in FO3 is the VATS system for combat. Many thought that it would suck and wound up wishing it would be implemented in other games. The world is segmented so that you have to transition between areas by going underground (subway tunnels). The map system can sometimes be confusing. The game utilizes the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Strength, Personality, etc... and has perks that you choose to shape your characters. I don't think I've ever seen devastation look so glorious though.

Modded Oblivion is great but it took me like 2 weeks to do the research and set it up.

Modded Morrowind took me a lot less longer to setup. Graphically it's inferior of course to the other games and I thought it's main plot line was somewhat boring. Morrowind though has it's own charm and uniqueness. Additionally I thought its expansions Tribunal and Bloodmoon to be excellent.

There are so many hours in these games you might not see the sun for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom