• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

Ledsen said:
Holy crap, .exe-modifying mods don't work on Oblivion on Steam?

edit: Wait, they do work with the latest version of Oblivion Script Extender? I'll have to investigate more... Oblivion without those mods is NOT worth getting even for free...
No, it's fine. There's and OBSE Steam version. You can find it on the Steam forums.

FLEABttn said:
Because you didn't buy it.

Or you did buy it. Go nuts then.
That's stupid. I haven't played Crysis, and that's because I haven't bought it. And I haven't bought it because SecuROM, but one day I'll cross the line, because there's no way I'm paying for a long rental. This is simple, there're two versions of Crysis: the regular version and the superior version, and guess what? The superior version is free. There's a difference between being fair with companies and being stupid.

There's no official statement about how long the sale runs for yet - the best I can tell you is that the title of the sale page is "Bethesda Weekend", so... Monday?

There may be other sales this weekend yet, but it'd be a surprise.

Minsc

Gold Member
panda21 said:
yeah i'm not seeing it either. also the guides page is completely empty.

did Octagon do a fallout 3 modding guide too?

I pm'd Octagon, hopefully he'll show us a new link.

Edit: I lied, PMs seem to be broken, oh well

Ledsen

Easy_D said:
I might just be an idiot but how do you get to the actual guide? :lol

Examples?

Oblivion Script Extender is an external program that A LOT of mods use, and at first it didn't support Oblivion on Steam since the .exe is encrypted (unlike Fallout 3 where only the launcher is encrypted). Apparently they've fixed it and made the latest OBSE versions compatible with Steam through voodoo magic :)

panda21

Oblivion and Steam

The only ‘problem’ I’m aware of with modding a Steam version of Oblivion is that the Oblivion Script Extender – a very useful plugin – has a slightly different install process. Because Oblivion keeps its core files secure from any modding efforts, letting modded files supersede its own at runtime, there is no issue with file integrity. Modding with Steam is barely any different, therefore, to a regular installation.

sounds like its good for steam now :D

epmode

Ledsen said:
Holy crap, .exe-modifying mods don't work on Oblivion on Steam?

edit: Wait, they do work with the latest version of Oblivion Script Extender? I'll have to investigate more... Oblivion without those mods is NOT worth getting even for free...
Bethesda has made certain that the Steam release of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are compatible with mods. I've heard that there used to be trouble with certain mods but I think the issues have been resolved since then.

edit: Too late.

robatw

what happens when i buy fallout 3? i'm currently in germany but i buy from the us page with my cc which is unlocked to buy from the us store.

will i get the censored version?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Kinda tempted for Morrowind, really can't make my mind up. Already have FO3 and Oblivion, but haven't finished either (TBH I have no real intention of ever finishing FO3, Oblivion someday however).
Hmmmm.

Alucrid

Banned
So happy I had ~$15 in my paypal. :lol Does anyone know when this sale is ending? I'm debating about getting Fallout 3...$25 seems a bit steep for me. I might have to wait it out until the next Holiday Steam sale. Sadly I don't have my desktop on me...just my fucking macbook. :|

Ledsen

epmode said:
Bethesda has made certain that the Steam release of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are compatible with mods. I've heard that there used to be trouble with certain mods but I think the issues have been resolved since then.

edit: Too late.

I read up on it a bit more... it was in fact VALVE who took the initiative to work together with the OBSE guys, modifying the .exe to make it work with OBSE through a simple .dll file... Valve, holy fuck! I can now safely recommend everyone to buy Bethesda games through Steam because Valve are awesome :D

switch-it

Banned
5klr7s.jpg

Almost clicked :lol

Gonna pick up Oblivion, didnt enjoy the console one, but my issues with that version can all be modded away anyway. I wouldnt mind getting Fallout too, but still a little steep for me.

butts

SHIT I knew I shouldn't have bought the Fallout 3 GOTY last month. Oh well.

Made up for it by getting Oblivion cheap finally :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Leonsito said:
Buy Morrowing guys, it's the best game of the three.
Ok, os here's my Dilemma

I will, without a shadow of a doubt, buy Oblivion. I played it a while ago and I loved it.

However, i almost finished Oblivion, so I probably won't play through ti again (even tho i've never did the main questline). Logic dictates that I buy Fallout 3 instead, specially since I dig post apocalyptic messes.

If I'm buying both games, I might as well buy Morrowind, since it's only 5 bucks. All this chain reaction will occur if i convince myself to buy Fallout 3, and I'm pretty sure that's happening anytime soon now.

Ledsen

drizzle said:
Ok, os here's my Dilemma

I will, without a shadow of a doubt, buy Oblivion. I played it a while ago and I loved it.

However, i almost finished Oblivion, so I probably won't play through ti again (even tho i've never did the main questline). Logic dictates that I buy Fallout 3 instead, specially since I dig post apocalyptic messes.

If I'm buying both games, I might as well buy Morrowind, since it's only 5 bucks. All this chain reaction will occur if i convince myself to buy Fallout 3, and I'm pretty sure that's happening anytime soon now.

Doesn't sound like a dilemma, sounds like a plan!

do it

Erasus said:
Been waiting for a sale on Oblivion and FO3!

Now, I have played both on PS3, witch one do I get? :S

Oblivion needs mods far more than FO3 does, so if you want the one that's the most improved on PC compared to console get Oblivion.

nexen

fresquito said:
I disagree.

Why should I abstain? Why can't I experience Crysis everytime I want when I've paid for it? In what right they deny me the right to play MY game after having uninstalled it for the fourth or fifth time? Why should I go through all this? Should I just skip Crysis altogether?

I have no problem with people cracking a game they paid for.
I have problems with people downloading games they did not pay for.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ledsen said:
Doesn't sound like a dilemma, sounds like a plan!

do it

It's always the "I won't play this right away, so it will eventually get cheaper!" thing that gets me. Case in point: I bought Batman:AA along with Just Cause for 22 bucks not too long ago. I didn't even install either game (and I didn't really want Just Cause), but I totally want to play Batman:AA, so it was an OK deal. This midweek deal? Batman:AA GOTY for 20 bucks.

In this particular case, it wasn't such a big deal: The GOTY content is mostly 4 challenge maps. I can get 2 of them for free, and the other 2 cost 3 bucks each, which is mostly why i bought the other deal back then.

In the Fallout 3 issue, while the GOTY has a shitton of DLC (which makes it cheap in the end), I'm not sure I'll get around to playing it.

It's not something can convince me to do, so it's not like i'm seeking help with that. All i want to know is that if Fallout 3 is really as good as the Giantbomb quicklooks made it look, because i have conflicting reports from friends. :D

Twig

Banned
drizzle said:
It's always the "I won't play this right away, so it will eventually get cheaper!" thing that gets me. Case in point: I bought Batman:AA along with Just Cause for 22 bucks not too long ago. I didn't even install either game (and I didn't really want Just Cause), but I totally want to play Batman:AA, so it was an OK deal. This midweek deal? Batman:AA GOTY for 20 bucks.

In this particular case, it wasn't such a big deal: The GOTY content is mostly 4 challenge maps. I can get 2 of them for free, and the other 2 cost 3 bucks each, which is mostly why i bought the other deal back then.

In the Fallout 3 issue, while the GOTY has a shitton of DLC (which makes it cheap in the end), I'm not sure I'll get around to playing it.

It's not something can convince me to do, so it's not like i'm seeking help with that. All i want to know is that if Fallout 3 is really as good as the Giantbomb quicklooks made it look, because i have conflicting reports from friends. :D
This is the reason why I've been completely avoiding buying games lately. I know I want them, and if the time comes that I really want to play them RIGHT NOW then it will be worth the price later. In the meantime, I've got a backlog in the triple digits, and am having a ton of fun just going through that.

I've passed up on a couple dozen deals so far this year that last year I would have bought without hesitation. Self-control rocks. O:

I have a couple games on my "WILL BUY IF SALE COMES BECAUSE UNGHHHHHHHHH" list, but it's a pretty short list.

(Unfortunately, I can pretty much guarantee I will break this new code I have come the next holiday sale. Fortunately, it's the holidays, so I won't feel as bad.)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Here is kind of a silly question, if I have a non-Steam version of Fallout 3 (with all the dlc already bought through GFWL), will its save-file be compatible with the Steam version of the GOTY?

Minsc said:
Thanks! I'll just point out that it is a total of 9 pages, so you'll need to keep changing that number from 2 all the way up to 9.
Great, 9 pages. How about some recommendations for a few of the best mods?

Minsc

Gold Member
slidewinder said:
Great, 9 pages. How about some recommendations for a few of the best mods?

That's what that guide is :) He did a great job, each page is it's own theme. There's just 1 page for character mods, 1 page for landscape mods, 1 page for texture mods.

And usually the page is very limited selection of mods, it's just loaded with text and pictures. You can go through all 9 pages very fast. You still need to know what you're doing though, and modding Oblivion isn't a 1,2,3 process, unless you want to limit yourself to just something like Qarl's texture pack + OOO or Francesco's everything-changing mods, and that's it. Then you can get away easily, but even Fran or OOO probably want you to have the unofficial patches installed, and maybe a couple other little things, but they should go over that in the infos.

Erasus

Got Oblivion, but I know I will break down and get FO3 too :p Much better on PC and I only completed the main game in FO3, not the DLC.

Bisonian

I own Fallout 3 on steam from a previous sale, and while I've only played about half of it to this point I would potentially be interested in the DLC for it.

I've tried looking around Microsoft's Games for Windows Live website but there are no prices for how much the DLC is going for these days on PC. Does anyone know how this sale price of the GOTY edition compares to buying the DLC piecemeal through the abomination known as GFWL? Also, to repeat a potentially silly question above, do you have two listings for Fallout 3 if you own both regular and GOTY?

Comments on whether the DLC is worth it would also be appreciated, you know, if you feel bored or would like to throw something on top.

schmalz

I'm curious what kind of performance I should get if I install the majority of the landscape/texture/lod mods on that guide. I'm interested in playing the game, not just getting sick screenshots :)

I have an I7 920 and 5870 1G....

Minsc

Gold Member
schmalz said:
I'm curious what kind of performance I should get if I install the majority of the landscape/texture/lod mods on that guide. I'm interested in playing the game, not just getting sick screenshots :)

The vast majority of graphic mods have no effect or improve framerate. I have just as many if not more mods as that guide, and I get a solid 60 most of the time (it has been a while, but it never drops below 30, which is more than I can say for Morrowind!).

It's a long process installing and getting them all to cooperate though, could easily take 10+ hours.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Bisonian said:
I own Fallout 3 on steam from a previous sale, and while I've only played about half of it to this point I would potentially be interested in the DLC for it.

I've tried looking around Microsoft's Games for Windows Live website but there are no prices for how much the DLC is going for these days on PC. Does anyone know how this sale price of the GOTY edition compares to buying the DLC piecemeal through the abomination known as GFWL? Also, to repeat a potentially silly question above, do you have two listings for Fallout 3 if you own both regular and GOTY?

Comments on whether the DLC is worth it would also be appreciated, you know, if you feel bored or would like to throw something on top.

I believe all the DLC for Fallout 3 is 800 MS points, or 10 dollars, per item. So, yeah, if you want the DLC, getting the GOTY works out to be a much better value. As to whether the DLC is worth it: yes. It depends on what you're looking for gameplay-wise, but I found everything to be, at the very least, interesting and fun. Having said that, Broken Steel and Point Lookout are probably the best.

robatw said:
i made myself black .. and now everyone in vault 101 is black. didn't expected that

That's kind of odd. My first character is black and I didn't notice a significant change in the Vault population.

Sysgen

schmalz said:

You'll be fine as I have an I7-920/4890. I had some stuttering / slowdown issues. Found a tool that helped with stuttering from all the goodies.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17159834&postcount=153

Akia

Man if Valve did a full page ad for L4D2 last November there would've been a online revolt from anti-steam people. Bethesda probably had to pay a large sum to buyout the front page.

Volcynika

Well the news announcement at least confirms the sale length

"Act now and receive the Fallout New Vegas Caravan Pack! This special offer is available for pre-purchase only. You can also take advantage of huge savings this weekend on the following Bethesda Game of the Year titles:"

coopolon

Akia said:
Man if Valve did a full page ad for L4D2 last November there would've been a online revolt from anti-steam people. Bethesda probably had to pay a large sum to buyout the front page.

Idunno. Fallout 3 was a really big game. I think they are expecting Fallout New Vegas to be very big as well, and getting it on Steamworks was a huge win for Valve (now anyone who sells Fallout 3 New Vegas is helping push Steam). They might have been willing to offer this kind of deal as part of the bargaining equation for that.

Civ 5 was also another very very big win for them.

kswiston

Gah. After FO3 GOTY failed to show up in the last holiday sale, I ended up buying the on-sale DLC for my 360 copy.... I wish I held out now.

Anyhow, I will eventually double dip for the PC version of Fallout 3. However, not for $25. Perhaps we'll a price drop with the release of New Vegas, and then a better discount during the holiday sale.

Oblivion is bought though. I Own it and shivering isles on 360, but a mod-able version that includes Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, and the other extras is worth $8.50. Just so I have it when I get the urge to play through the game again in a year or two.

Already got Morrowind during the holiday sale.

Twig

Banned
coopolon said:
Idunno. Fallout 3 was a really big game. I think they are expecting Fallout New Vegas to be very big as well, and getting it on Steamworks was a huge win for Valve (now anyone who sells Fallout 3 New Vegas is helping push Steam). They might have been willing to offer this kind of deal as part of the bargaining equation for that.

Civ 5 was also another very very big win for them.
I wonder how active Valve is in trying to get developers to use Steamworks, or if they just dump it out there and devs approach them. steamworks is obviously a good framework for a lot of things. Maybe they just see value in it, and take advantage of the free shit on a popular service.

epmode

Visualante said:
FO3 GOTY bought, at last a sale. My saves better work.
Let us know if it works pls.

I already lost all progress due to a reformat + the insane way GFWL handles save games and I might kill myself if it happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom