• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinaar

I am in the same boat, just purchased a new gaming laptop, first purchase was Dawn of War 2, second will be Orange Box. TF2 here I come this weekend. Where can I make love to Valve? Is the line over there?

Vormund

Fireflu said:
I hate to sound like the filthy cheapskate that I am but if anyone has a spare Episode 2 or Portal I would be most grateful, pretty please... :)

10 bucks

10 bucks for HL2, HL2:Ep1, HL2:Ep2, Portal and TF2

10 BUCKS!

Yes you are a dirty filthy cheapskate

I've been wanting TF2 for ever. $10 for this and portal and the rest.

Bought!

I do have an extra copy of HL2 Ep1 and LC.

Also I can't download these until the 5th because I would be going over my bandwidth cap. Thanks ISP!

basis

not my first Valve game, but my first STEAM title as well.

is there a GAF club / clan or something i could join? if there aren't any restrictions?

DoctorWho said:
Would people say there is a major difference to L4D on PC vs. 360? I might be able to trade in the 360 version for $37.

Yes, pretty much like a whole new game. Valve games should always be experienced on PCs, this will never change.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Congrats to everyone who finally picked up orange box!

However i wish valve would offer a 2nd weekend deal along with their own product pimping for everyone who already owns it.

But then again maybe they shouldn't, i do like not spending money on random cheap things :lol

Tokubetsu

brain_stew said:
Yes, pretty much like a whole new game. Valve games should always be experienced on PCs, this will never change.

Pretty much but the biggest difference, IMO, is TF2 console vs PC. At this point, it's like playing 1/4 of a game.

Tokubetsu said:
Pretty much but the biggest difference, IMO, is TF2 console vs PC. At this point, it's like playing 1/4 of a game.

True, but its obvious that Left 4 Dead will end up exactly the same and it'll have a vibrant community for much, much longer as well.

Jcdragon

Damn. I'm considering double dipping on TF2 and Both of the HL2 episodes just to finally own the original HL2 and Portal.

The bad part is I don't have any money on my card at the moment. =/

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
True, but its obvious that Left 4 Dead will end up exactly the same and it'll have a vibrant community for much, much longer as well.
I see just as many people talking about the 3650 version as I do the PC version in the L4D thread. O:

I agree that the PC version is superior, but I'm sure some people believe the opposite, and they don't seem to be having "not-fun", as it were.

Bluth54

brain_stew said:

The PC version of Left 4 Dead will end up having a bunch of user made campaigns that will never appear on the 360 though. Some of the early stuff I've seen info on is the mall from Dawn of the Dead, a Resident Evil 2 remake and a winter campaign that's apparently being made by a popular TF2 map maker (Valve's even given him an early SDK and made up a campaign poster).

epmode

TheOneGuy said:
I agree that the PC version is superior, but I'm sure some people believe the opposite, and they don't seem to be having "not-fun", as it were.
The 360 port is good but feature-for-feature, the PC version is better in every single way. It even has undocumented split-screen support if you take the time to configure it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yep. OB for $10 is deal of the year. I already have the 360 version that I never bothered with but I usually play Valve games on the PC thanks to better and free everything.

TheOneGuy said:
I see just as many people talking about the 3650 version as I do the PC version in the L4D thread. O:

Well there's no sane argument for that, its bested in basically every possible way. I'm not arguing that the 360 version isn't still a great game, its just the PC is the only place you're going to get the full experience witha ny Valve product, and nothing is going to change that.

Bluth54 said:
The PC version of Left 4 Dead will end up having a bunch of user made campaigns that will never appear on the 360 though. Some of the early stuff I've seen info on is the mall from Dawn of the Dead, a Resident Evil 2 remake and a winter campaign that's apparently being made by a popular TF2 map maker (Valve's even given him an early SDK and made up a campaign poster).

That was kinda my point, that Left 4 Dead will end up like TF2 where loads of excellent free content will be left on the table for any console players. You're paying less for significantly more.

Zzoram said:
Yeah, Steam needs a better way to filter by sub-genre.

Lost Planet (original, not Colonies Edition), GRAW, and Mass Effect are the only 3rd person perspective games on Steam that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more, but those are probably the biggest names.

Does anyone know if I can easily use a controller with GRAW without using xpadder (or a similar program)?

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well there's no sane argument for that, its bested in basically every possible way.
I didn't say there was. But peeps is gonna believe what peeps is gonna believe. d:

Steam fixed my payment problem rather fast (overnight) so i'm happy again, a good price to pay for the stuff I was missing from the OB.

Such a good deal, but I won't play HL2 until my new pc arrives.

If you did not know, it's £5.66 for us UK people including VAT, amazing.

I'm sure there's an Orange Box $10 sale this weekend because Gabe Newell wants to buy an island next week or something. You know, like Scaramanga from James Bond. The dude had his own island with a solar plant and he killed people with paint and a golden gun.

Petrie

Banned
Just picked this up. So, will TF2 be any fun seeing as I'll be new to it on PC while everyone else has been playing for ages?

Oreoleo

Diablohead said:
Yep, it's a great balanced game imo.

Yup, and to expand on that, the different classes all have varying difficulty curves so if you want to obscure your noobiness to fellow players (And really, I find the people that play TF2 to be a pretty friendly lot, much better than most online game communities so I wouldn't even be concerned about getting harassed or whatnot, but I digress) start out as a Pyro, Soldier, Heavy or Medic and you should do okay.

Fio

Oh fuck!!
I forgot to pay my credit card bill Friday. At which time the deal is lifted? I'll try to pay it tomorrow first thing in the morning, but I think they request 24 hours to lift the hold on my credit.
I already have TF2, but I do want to play HL2's expansions and replay Portal.
I feel bad now for my laziness. =/

Volcynika

Fio said:
Oh fuck!!
I forgot to pay my credit card bill Friday. At which time the deal is lifted? I'll try to pay it tomorrow first thing in the morning, but I think they request 24 hours to lift the hold on my credit.
I already have TF2, but I do want to play HL2's expansions and replay Portal.
I feel bad now for my laziness. =/

Generally it feels like the deal sticks around till Noon PST on Monday, but I never keep up with it to see if there's consistency when it ends.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone else had Steam be really slow to launch on Vista? I haven't played on Vista for a long time, and I waited maybe 5 minutes with it frozen and blurred out at the Connecting to account screen. And then I killed it and restarted, and it froze for a couple of minutes before filling in the games screen. Is that at all normal if it hasn't been updated lately? o_O

And now it takes about 8 seconds to launch/login to Steam.

*edit*

Ugh, maybe I'm just not used to how slow Vista is even on a decent machine (4GB memory, I think a 7200 rpm hard disk, e8400, 512MB 4850...). Half-life 2 Lost Coast took literally about a minute to load.

Blizzard

Banned
Darklord said:
Do I need to uninstall all my steam games off this PC if I want to reinstall them on my new one?

Nope. In fact, if you have some way to copy your game files easily (i.e. network connection or USB drive), then you don't even have to redownload them. Someone with the details will have to fill you in, though.

Darklord said:
Do I need to uninstall all my steam games off this PC if I want to reinstall them on my new one?
You can install and backup (steam can even do this for you) your games as many times as you like but you must be logged in to steam on your account to play, having a 2nd pc login with your user will kick the first login off, do it too many times and valve may look into why you are sharing an account.

Apart from that it's perfectly safe to install where you like.

Darklord said:
I just moved all my steam files from one logical drive to another, and it went flawlessly. All you have to do is make a new directory for steam to reside, copy/paste the entire steamapps folder and the steam executable, and run the executable. It'll update that directory with all the steam files, and the games should all run from that directory from that point on.

Twig

Banned
Just remember there are certain games for which that doesn't hold. Limited installations. It says in the game description if that's the case.

IIRC, STALKER: Clear Sky was one of 'em? Unless that was changed.

Darklord

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
I just moved all my steam files from one logical drive to another, and it went flawlessly. All you have to do is make a new directory for steam to reside, copy/paste the entire steamapps folder and the steam executable, and run the executable. It'll update that directory with all the steam files, and the games should all run from that directory from that point on.

Oh really? So I can just move the files over rather than redownloading them all? That'll be so much easier!

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
Just remember there are certain games for which that doesn't hold. Limited installations. It says in the game description if that's the case.

IIRC, STALKER: Clear Sky was one of 'em? Unless that was changed.

Yeah, games like that and Far Cry 2 have other DRM.

Erudite

King's Bounty: The Legend coming to Steam soon it looks like. Just noticed this.
kingsbountysteams.jpg

Can't wait :D

Doytch

Fio said:
King's Bounty or The Witcher?
I don't really know which one I'll buy first.

Damn that's tough... I'm really liking King's Bounty, I'm probably in the last quarter of the game now, and I really liked the Witcher also. I think you should pick which genre you prefer, an action-rpg like Witcher, or a strategy/homm-type like KB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom