• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting for this sale for some time.

I'll definitely pick up Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.

Not sure on FO3. I've got the plain vanilla version but $25 is still a little too expensive just to get the DLC.

I have a question about Morrowind. I already own Morrowind on Steam but in my game list it just shows up as "The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind" and not as the GOTY edition. Yet, that seems to be the only version in the store. Did they ever sell Morrowind sans the add-ons on Steam?

Will Steam let you buy something you already bought?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I know they don't let you gift a game to someone who already owns it, so I assume that's the case. And in addition, I bought Morrowind: GOTY and it shows up simple as The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

Zzoram

Too bad you don't get a discount on Fallout 3 GOTY for having Fallout 3 vanilla. For a game this old, $25 doesn't seem worth it for roughly an expansion pack worth of new content.

I still have a sealed Fallout 3 GOTY for the 360. :lol

I guess I'll eBay that copy and pick up the Steam version.

And then not play the Steam version.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Twig said:
I wonder how active Valve is in trying to get developers to use Steamworks, or if they just dump it out there and devs approach them. steamworks is obviously a good framework for a lot of things. Maybe they just see value in it, and take advantage of the free shit on a popular service.
Steam offers the most potent DRM setup. It's basically a locked online system, Closest got to a unified service, with a one time use key. It also combines exactly what publishers like about XBL. Hey all my buddies are playing this game. There is a demo, video, etc. It's fantastic to get games out there with.

While at the same, it offers a lot to the customers too. A completely unified service with community/FL. Easy install/update. All games can be downloaded or installed by CD, etc. All of this while still remaining open to mods, servers, and so forth.

It's extremely beneficial to since it kills resale and is the same as pirating a Blizzard game(You can do it, but without Bnet Access...it loses out are far too much). While at the same time, PC Gamers love having a single service for the bulk of their games(Definitely help reinvigorate a lot of PC developers and gamers). It's easy to see it's worth...since people actually want titles on steam.

Won

Fallout 3 is tempting, since I wanted to play it again anyway. With all the DLC this looks like a good deal, but also expensive compared to the other 2 deals.

Never was a fan of Oblivion and kinda doubt I will ever boot it up again, great deal or not....so no!

Morrowind......I actually never played that one. I guess it's about time.

Decisions, decisions. :(

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yes, if it is a game in a pack that contains other games or DLC that you do not already own.

No, if it is just something you already own. (You can buy it to gift it though.)

BTW, it is nice that they don't let you buy games you already own . . . if they were really sleazy, the could just take the money and laugh at you . . . put a pointless 2nd copy in your games list. Of course, that would generate a ton of bad press and overload their support system.

Won said:
Fallout 3 is tempting, since I wanted to play it again anyway. With all the DLC this looks like a good deal, but also expensive compared to the other 2 deals.

Never was a fan of Oblivion and kinda doubt I will ever boot it up again, great deal or not....so no!
Fallout 3 is still a relatively recent game and it is the GOTY with all the DLC.

Oblivion is older . . . but all the DLC and only $8. It fell in my whim purchase level.

Where is TF2 for Mac? If it comes out with a 50% off sale, I'll pick up a second copy for my 2nd account that I use for my daughter.

FLEABttn

Banned
fresquito said:
That's stupid. I haven't played Crysis, and that's because I haven't bought it. And I haven't bought it because SecuROM, but one day I'll cross the line, because there's no way I'm paying for a long rental. This is simple, there're two versions of Crysis: the regular version and the superior version, and guess what? The superior version is free. There's a difference between being fair with companies and being stupid.

No, what's stupid is thinking you're owed a game because you don't like the deal offered.

If you don't want a long rental, don't buy it. But don't let some entitlement complex convince you that you get the game for free just because you want it.

It's a videogame. You have no right to entertainment.

panda21

fresquito said:
No, it's fine. There's and OBSE Steam version. You can find it on the Steam forums.

That's stupid. I haven't played Crysis, and that's because I haven't bought it. And I haven't bought it because SecuROM, but one day I'll cross the line, because there's no way I'm paying for a long rental. This is simple, there're two versions of Crysis: the regular version and the superior version, and guess what? The superior version is free. There's a difference between being fair with companies and being stupid.

you realise with almost all of these games you can just buy it, and if you have a problem with the DRM later, just crack it?

speculawyer said:
Where is TF2 for Mac? If it comes out with a 50% off sale, I'll pick up a second copy for my 2nd account that I use for my daughter.

From what I gathered at the Steam forums, Mac games generally start being added at 3PM EST.

How much DLC is in the GOTY Batman? I'm assuming not enough to make it worth purchasing if you already own the vanilla version.

From what I read, it contains 4 DLC packs. Two of which are free and the other two costs 240 points.

MoFuzz

speculawyer said:
How much DLC is in the GOTY Batman? I'm assuming not enough to make it worth purchasing if you already own the vanilla version.
It's 4 additional challenge maps, which are just the stealth & combat sections of the campaign distilled down into small 5 to 10 minute chunks, but are replayable due to the requirements that the game sets out for you.

The stealth portions involve you knocking out thugs using only certain items, complete in less than 3 minutes, etc. While the combat portions are score based depending on how high of a combo you rack up as well as how you mix up your attacks.

Good for some drop in-instant action type game time.

Haeleos

Purchased AVP2000 Classic for a friend and myself. My friend meets the minimum requirements but the game crashes right after the splash screen. How likely is it that we can get a refund for it seeing as Rebellion doesn't really offer support for it? It's only $5 but it feels like a waste. I've read their " I don't like this game, can I get a refund?" FAQ but that doesn't really fit my description here.

Haeleos said:
Purchased AVP2000 Classic for a friend and myself. My friend meets the minimum requirements but the game crashes right after the splash screen. How likely is it that we can get a refund for it seeing as Rebellion doesn't really offer support for it? It's only $5 but it feels like a waste. I've read their " I don't like this game, can I get a refund?" FAQ but that doesn't really fit my description here.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix it yourself. Just check the forums if there's some kind of problem. If your friend only meets the minimum requirements for the game it must be some old hardware, drivers up to date?

Javaman

speculawyer said:
Y
BTW, it is nice that they don't let you buy games you already own . . . if they were really sleazy, the could just take the money and laugh at you . . . put a pointless 2nd copy in your games list. Of course, that would generate a ton of bad press and overload their support system.
[/B]

I think what they do is even more sleazy than that... Whatever games you already own in a pack are just ignored and you don't get a discount or an extra copy to sell, even if you already own 9/10th of the list.

Minsc said:
That's what that guide is :) He did a great job, each page is it's own theme. There's just 1 page for character mods, 1 page for landscape mods, 1 page for texture mods.

And usually the page is very limited selection of mods, it's just loaded with text and pictures. You can go through all 9 pages very fast. You still need to know what you're doing though, and modding Oblivion isn't a 1,2,3 process, unless you want to limit yourself to just something like Qarl's texture pack + OOO or Francesco's everything-changing mods, and that's it. Then you can get away easily, but even Fran or OOO probably want you to have the unofficial patches installed, and maybe a couple other little things, but they should go over that in the infos.
Yeah, I shouldn't have been snarky about it, but I was hoping there'd be something akin to S.T.A.L.K.E.R Complete. I already played this way back when on the 360, so I don't plan on spending a ton of time with it now, but something that tweaks the leveling system and freshens up the graphics would be nice.

So I'm going to try Qarl's Texture Pack + OOO, like you sort of suggested, and see how that goes.

MoFuzz

jakershaker said:
Shouldn't be too hard to fix it yourself. Just check the forums if there's some kind of problem. If your friend only meets the minimum requirements for the game it must be some old hardware, drivers up to date?
Haha, no kidding. He barely meets the requirements for a 10 year old game. That's just...wow. I'm pretty sure a netbook with integrated Intel graphics can max out this game with 60 fps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ask and you shall receive huh?

2q1cvit.jpg

Now I have to spend money lest I be a hypocrite. :lol

Twig

Banned
shintoki said:
Steam offers the most potent DRM setup. It's basically a locked online system, Closest got to a unified service, with a one time use key. It also combines exactly what publishers like about XBL. Hey all my buddies are playing this game. There is a demo, video, etc. It's fantastic to get games out there with.

While at the same, it offers a lot to the customers too. A completely unified service with community/FL. Easy install/update. All games can be downloaded or installed by CD, etc. All of this while still remaining open to mods, servers, and so forth.

It's extremely beneficial to since it kills resale and is the same as pirating a Blizzard game(You can do it, but without Bnet Access...it loses out are far too much). While at the same time, PC Gamers love having a single service for the bulk of their games(Definitely help reinvigorate a lot of PC developers and gamers). It's easy to see it's worth...since people actually want titles on steam.
Y..yes.

I was just wondering how active (if at all) Valve is in trying to get people to use Steamworks.

TUSR

Banned
MoFuzz said:
Haha, no kidding. He barely meets the requirements for a 10 year old game. That's just...wow. I'm pretty sure a netbook with integrated Intel graphics can max out this game with 60 fps.
A netbook would have problems playing X-COM games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fucking ace. I only owned 2 of the DLCs for Fallout 3, so by grabbing the game of the year edition I am saving money. God it will feel good to be free of GFWL shitty DLC install system.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'll probably buy FO3. I was only able to play it by using a friend's copy, and I was never able to play the expansions. And I love the game.

Veritas_

Kintaro said:
So uh, do all the cool mods for Oblivion and FO3 work with Steam versions of the games?

I know that FO3 can be modded, it just involves unpacking a game file or some otherwise simple action. I looked it up a while back when I considered buying FO3 on Steam, so I know it can be done.

I would assume Oblivion would be the same, but best to double check.

Javaman said:
I think what they do is even more sleazy than that... Whatever games you already own in a pack are just ignored and you don't get a discount or an extra copy to sell, even if you already own 9/10th of the list.
Yeah well . . . then don't buy the pack. Often times the games are also on sale individually.

But considering how heavily discounted the sales already are, I can't fault them much for it.

Oh hey, it's those games I've wanted to go on sale for forever. Hard to justify rebuying Fallout 3 and ES4 when I have 360 versions I've only played a little into, but now that I have a PC that can handle them, and they have all the DLC, and ES4 can be modded, the sale's a great personal justification. :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
fresquito said:
I haven't played Crysis, and that's because I haven't bought it. And I haven't bought it because SecuROM, but one day I'll cross the line, because there's no way I'm paying for a long rental. This is simple, there're two versions of Crysis: the regular version and the superior version, and guess what? The superior version is free. There's a difference between being fair with companies and being stupid.
Crysis is not something that is owed to you. It is not a basic human right, it is not something that you deserve. It is an entertainment product. If you don't like the product that they're offering, DRM included, then don't buy it. No one cares. But don't act like you're on some kind of moral high ground for stealing it; you'd just be a game pirate like any other.

Easy_D said:
I might just be an idiot but how do you get to the actual guide? :lol

Fuckbags. You know what that is? That's me upgrading to WordPress 3 and breaking one of the plugins. Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Ohhh, it'll take ages to fix. Best leave it a day.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also I played through the entirety of Batman: Arkham Asylum without realizing that Securom was even installed. You click to install it and it never bothers you again. I honestly forgot that it was there.

IceMarker

Fallout 3 is mine! After years of owning Morrowind and Oblivion I can finally complete my collection of recent Obsidian games! :lol

Good thing I got my paycheck today otherwise I wouldn't of had enough to get it.

Javaman

speculawyer said:
Yeah well . . . then don't buy the pack. Often times the games are also on sale individually.

But considering how heavily discounted the sales already are, I can't fault them much for it.

What got me the most was the THQ pack for $50 a while back. I already owned quite a few of the games but the others I wanted would have cost more than $50 separately during the sale. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $50 for "hollow" buys. The lack of giving extra copies away or prorating the previously owned games is the only thing I hate about the Steam (or more specifically, the publishers on Steam). Valve and the makers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R do things a much better way.

Zzoram

Htown said:
Crysis is not something that is owed to you. It is not a basic human right, it is not something that you deserve. It is an entertainment product. If you don't like the product that they're offering, DRM included, then don't buy it. No one cares. But don't act like you're on some kind of moral high ground for stealing it; you'd just be a game pirate like any other.

Only on the Internet could confessed thieves claim to be on the moral high ground :lol

Slacker

eternal prize said:
is this sale all day? can't buy till I get home in a few hours...
Appears to be all weekend. And just in case you didn't know, you can purchase on the website and download when you get home.

Zachack

Prophet Steve said:
Since he can't buy it until he gets home, I don't think you are helping.
Well, if he has an iPhone or Droid or some other web-capable smartphone then he could buy it through the website on that. I was completely out of town for the 2009-10 Valve sale but bought WAAAAAAAY more than I should have using my iPhone. It was like Christmas morning happened every morning. Except for crap sale mornings; those were Worst Christmas Ever! moments.

It's a hard life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've been waiting for this sale for some time.

I'll definitely pick up Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.

Not sure on FO3. I've got the plain vanilla version but $25 is still a little too expensive just to get the DLC.

I have a question about Morrowind. I already own Morrowind on Steam but in my game list it just shows up as "The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind" and not as the GOTY edition. Yet, that seems to be the only version in the store. Did they ever sell Morrowind sans the add-ons on Steam?

Yeah, I just tried it and it wouldn't let me buy it. Seems to be the same thing.

Edit: On a related topic, I just noticed the non-GOTY Batman is off the store. Too bad we don't get an option to upgrade our versions to GOTY without buying the entire game again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TheOctagon said:
Fuckbags. You know what that is? That's me upgrading to WordPress 3 and breaking one of the plugins. Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Ohhh, it'll take ages to fix. Best leave it a day.
No worries, like the other guy posted, changing the page number in the URL works :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Zachack said:
Well, if he has an iPhone or Droid or some other web-capable smartphone then he could buy it through the website on that. I was completely out of town for the 2009-10 Valve sale but bought WAAAAAAAY more than I should have using my iPhone. It was like Christmas morning happened every morning. Except for crap sale mornings; those were Worst Christmas Ever! moments.

It's a hard life.
No doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom