• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Prophet Steve said:
Since he can't buy it until he gets home, I don't think you are helping.
I assume if he can get to GAF he can get to steampowered.com. :p Unless he's posting from some kind of mobile device solely designed to access GAF, in which case I want one.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
DLing now

and

bg_earbuds.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Elder Scrolls fans, question:

Do I play Morrowind or Oblivion first? I plan to be doing non-gameplay mods to both, so there's no worry about one visually spoiling the other.

Also, I hear one of the Morrowind expansions activates a quest the moment it is installed. Being that the GOTY edition installs both expansions immediately, is there anything I can do to stave off this quest until I feel ready? Or should I just not worry and let what happens happen?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DeadGzuz said:
I bought FO3 GOTY. I finished the normal version on the PS3, but now for the full, real deal in glorious 1080P. :D
Yeah, my brother has the normal one on PS3 and I played a couple hours of it and decided I wanted it on PC. I've been waiting for this sale.

Chris R

Suairyu said:
Elder Scrolls fans, question:

Do I play Morrowind or Oblivion first? I plan to be doing non-gameplay mods to both, so there's no worry about one visually spoiling the other.

Also, I hear one of the Morrowind expansions activates a quest the moment it is installed. Being that the GOTY edition installs both expansions immediately, is there anything I can do to stave off this quest until I feel ready? Or should I just not worry and let what happens happen?
It "activates" the quest by (really basic spoiler, but you may not want to see it)
sending an assassin after you the first time you rest. If you haven't ever played the game, most likely the assassin will kill you. You can try to kite the assassin back to a guard to help you kill it, ect.
I say just install it, get the intro step done, and then don't bother doing it until you feel like you want to do it.

And I'd totally play Morrowind first. Far better experience in my opinion, but I've only played basic Oblivion (just got the GOTY version now, almost done downloading).

I know it's good with mods on PC, but I bought Morrowind for the Xbox not too long ago (and barely played it)...

Everyone talks about these games, though.

Just got the Oblivion deal off Steam, go to launch it, and when i press Escape to skip the Bethseda logo, the game freezes up. Any ideas ?

Edit - Bah silly Steam, restarted it and it downloaded another 140 meg, now works ;)

panda21

any mod suggestions (graphics?) for morrowind?

is it much better than oblivion? i didnt care much for the gameplay of oblivion but that was on the 360.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Darklord said:
I bought Batman: AA and it wanted me to activate my game via online. This doesn't have some bullshit 3 limit thing does it?
It's Securom.

Worth it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also, holy crap at the specials page.

It's like Steam is having an impromptu GOTY sale.

Lothars

Well I bought Fallout 3 GOTY even though I owned the original Fallout 3 on Steam also picked up Batman GOTY because I heard it shows up seperately and Morrow wind because I had already owned obilivion GOTY and can't resist buying Morrow wind.

52club

Lots of easy MS nerd points with the use of the Fallout 3 console. I'm surprised that hasn't came up yet:D .

The $25 is the best price I've seen since I got it from Amazon for $30 for the PC back in December. This GOTY seems to be holding its value, which is understandable when you consider the amount of content you get.

Seems like the beta for Medal of Honor will be from July 5-17th. The beta itself was added to the registry so its quite likely it will follow BFBC2 with a prepurchase including access to the beta.

Javaman said:
There's a dedicated thread to it, but in case anyone missed it, TF2 is now available on Macs for $10.
And just to be clear . . . anyone, PC people too, can get it for $9.99.

And everyone should get it.

Just a quick question mildly Steam related. So I was having a friend try out Psychonauts on my computer. He really enjoyed it and played the first two hours or so of it. He went out and bought the game, but doesn't want to play through the same two hours again right away. Any way for me to grab the save file from the Steam folder? I went into the Psychonauts folder, found one that said "SAVEDGAMES", but it only has a blank text file in it. Any help would be appreciated.

Firebrand

Try the (My) Documents folder, savegames usually go there. Somewhere.

EDIT: Googling it, it seems it does save to the install folder. But under Vista stuff that goes into protected folders such as Program Files might end up in the "virtual store" folder instead, so try:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\psychonauts\WorkResource\SAVEDGAMES

fresquito

thestopsign said:
Just a quick question mildly Steam related. So I was having a friend try out Psychonauts on my computer. He really enjoyed it and played the first two hours or so of it. He went out and bought the game, but doesn't want to play through the same two hours again right away. Any way for me to grab the save file from the Steam folder? I went into the Psychonauts folder, found one that said "SAVEDGAMES", but it only has a blank text file in it. Any help would be appreciated.
Saves for Steam games are placed where they use to be for non-Steam versions. It's usually My Documents\GameX\SAVE folder for all the games except Valve's, which now all have cloud, and thus there's no reason to worry about them anymore.

legend166

There's no problem modding the Steam version of Oblivion, yeah?

Assuming the answer is yes, anyone got some recommendations of essential mods? I'll be playing it through for the first time, so I don't want anything that changes the game dramatically.

fresquito said:
Saves for Steam games are placed where they use to be for non-Steam versions. It's usually My Documents\GameX\SAVE folder for all the games except Valve's, which now all have cloud, and thus there's no reason to worry about them anymore.

Actually saves for those games that support Steam Cloud are saved in two places. There is the save file that is uploaded to the Steam Cloud servers and then there is the save file that is local for offline play in the directory ~/Steam/userdata/<app id>.

Sysgen

LovingSteam said:
Anybody here picked up New Vegas yet?

I know you love Steam but the physical collectors edition looks so sexy. Besides just use the key from the box and then download it from Steam :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LovingSteam said:
Anybody here picked up New Vegas yet?

I'm going to pre-order the collector's edition on Amazon. I don't see any reason not to get the physical version if it will be linked to Steam anyway.

Chris R

speculawyer said:
So . . . if I login on a Mac, get the earbuds, and then later login on a PC . . . with my PC still have earbuds?
I'll tell you in a second.

Took forever to download the OSX version :( Runs like crap on my MacMini too even with everything turned off/down. OH WELL.

Sysgen said:
I know you love Steam but the physical collectors edition looks so sexy. Besides you just the key from the box and then download it from Steam :)
I'm not into the franchise enough to spend the cash on the collectors package although it's one of the sexiest no doubt.

Max

I am not Max
This black sun issue with Morrowind is rightfully pissing me off. I found a fix but it results in a black screen on start-up, great.

G-Fex

I bought FO3 on steam even though I'm still playing it on 360 I love the game that much.

Except on the PC, i'm being a baddy baddy bad thief/murderer.

MickD

Hey I just bought TF2 on mac, currently downloading.

What do I need to do to get earbuds? Can I still get them or are they automatically sending them?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MickD said:

What do I need to do to get earbuds? Can I still get them or are they automatically sending them?
Log on, join a server and get killed.

And I don't mean that in a demeaning way, it's just that after a death you get to equip what has "dropped" for you.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
MickD said:

You'll get them automatically as you play the game. It uses the same system that runs all the random item drops - except this item isn't a random drop but rather based on whether you've signed in using a mac or not.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MickD said:
Thanks, I was thinking I was going to get a real pair of headphones for buying the game. :lol
These are better. They're TF2 accessories, and everyone who plays TF2 loves glamming it up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MickD said:
Thanks, I was thinking I was going to get a real pair of headphones for buying the game. :lol
These are better. They're TF2 accessories, and everyone who plays TF2 loves glamming it up.

Wallach

legend166 said:
So what's better, Morrowind or Oblivion?

I really don't have time to play both.

Morrowind by a country mile. Be prepared to mod it if you want eye candy though, it's a little long in the tooth now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome Bethesda deals! I already had Morrowind from the Holiday (I think) sale, but I grabbed Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I owned the disc copies of both of them, but I have misplaced Fallout 3 and my Oblivion disc got all scratched up. More importantly I never got to play the DLC / Expansions for the games, so I am looking forward to that!

Sorry if this has already been posted, but here's an interesting podcast discussion with Gabe about why they decided to bring Steam to the Mac, the philosophy behind Steam relative to other platforms (consoles), and some other interesting things. He's pretty candid and gets in a dig at Microsoft (though, surprisingly, not Sony).

http://5by5.tv/conversation/16

fresquito

I finally bought FO3 and I'm now checking for some good mods :-/

It's like Oblivion all over again, where part of the fun came from modding the beast :lol Anyway, I'll try the unmodded thing and then judge what needs to be modded.

JoeBoy101

fresquito said:
I finally bought FO3 and I'm now checking for some good mods :-/

It's like Oblivion all over again, where part of the fun came from modding the beast :lol Anyway, I'll try the unmodded thing and then judge what needs to be modded.

Fallout 3 unmodded is pretty good. If there is any straightforward mod I would suggest right out of the gate, Fellout would be it. It removes that green filter from the game, making the colors and sky much better. But then again, vanilla FO3 is deserving a playthrough first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom