• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

Have played a bit of it. I'm not very impressed. There're two three things I'll have to look into:

1- Fellout.
2- Some UI improvement.
3- A way to hide my weapon.

Changing the running should be contemplated as well...

ChRoNiTe

Oh god. Gonna have to get Morrowind and Oblivion even though I have both for the Xbox already. Just got FO3 GOTY for the 360 at the beginning of the year so I guess I will hold off on that..........for now. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:
It's a very mediocre game (Metro 2033). The combat is atrocious. It's really only worth it for the atmosphere.

The gameplay (combat) has its moments, but it is pretty mediocre. I would only recommend getting the game if you have a relatively high-end computer that can run it maxed in DX11 at a relatively high resolution and still get a decent framerate. The atmosphere is really quite amazing and makes the game worth playing in my opinion.

Darklord

Banned
poppabk said:
Me to. Doubt I am gonna get a controller anytime soon and KB/mouse in the demo was not very enjoyable.

I've been playing with a M/KB, it plays just fine. Better than I thought it would. Great game by the way. Too bad the PhysX rips into my framerate so much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stallion Free said:
It's a very mediocre game (Metro 2033). The combat is atrocious. It's really only worth it for the atmosphere.

The same is sort of true for Cryostasis but in both cases the games really are worth it for the atmosphere.

Volcynika said:
^ That be a weekend deal.
Another one?

Steam might be hurting the biz with too much discounting! TF2 on sale. Three Bethesda RPGs on sale. AND Metro?

Then again . . . they probably do bring in lots of revenue with lower prices since you get a bunch of people like me that end up buying far more games than they will ever play. :lol Plus there is no used-game market.

I think it may end up as a great business model. People buy lots of games. There is no used after-market that provide no benefit to the publishers/developers. The retailer/distributor mark-ups are cut out (just the cut to Steam which I presume is relatively small.) And the prices are so low that you really have no rationalization to pirate. I really think that consoles should adopt this model next gen.

panda21

damn it they wouldnt even sell metro in the UK before on steam, now they are and at 50% off :mad: (i already bought it retail)

also i really liked metro

nexen

This may be an oddly-specific question but how CPU hungry is Metro 2033?

I'm kind of stuck in the middle of a long upgrade and my gpu rocks but my cpu is only a core 2 duo 3.0 ghz (E8400).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nexen said:
This may be an oddly-specific question but how CPU hungry is Metro 2033?

I'm kind of stuck in the middle of a long upgrade and my gpu rocks but my cpu is only a core 2 duo 3.0 ghz (E8400).

I upgraded from a C2D E8500 OC'd to 3.8ghz to a C2Q Q6600 OC'd to 3.4ghz about halfway through the game and the difference in performance was pretty large. The game definitely takes advantage of quad cores.

Flib

Metro does scale really well though, great performance.

Really enjoyed the game, the shooting is better than some people here are saying, but it's truly one of the most atmospheric and cool experiences I've had in a long time.

coopolon

Prior to release, I resolved to get Metro once it hit 50% off. But all the bad stuff I've heard about it has really driven me off, now it's a $10 or less game from me. I win this time Steam...

nexen

Zefah said:
I upgraded from a C2D E8500 OC'd to 3.8ghz to a C2Q Q6600 OC'd to 3.4ghz about halfway through the game and the difference in performance was pretty large. The game definitely takes advantage of quad cores.
Thanks that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
nexen said:
Thanks that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

With that said, the game didn't run terribly with my Core 2 Duo. I had everything maxed out in DX11, but I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x800 to get the framerate to be smooth, though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Finally caved, bought Morrowind. I kept tossing the idea around and though, fuckit, just buy the fucking game man.

nexen

Zefah said:
With that said, the game didn't run terribly with my Core 2 Duo. I had everything maxed out in DX11, but I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x800 to get the framerate to be smooth, though.

Sounds like you were in the same boat I am in right now.
I have:
Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz
Win 7 64bit
4gb ram
Nvidia 470 GTX + Nvidia 3D Vision.

I'm surprised that I can still max out MOST games I try. I would think my cpu or bus would cripple me a lot more than it does.

I bet the 3d would make it roll over and die though.

edit: weird that that the rez would be a problem. That should have nothing to do with cpu.

flsh

Banned
I bought Morrowind and Oblivion along with The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (Really cute game!). I never played any Elder Scroll games. I realize I need to mod those two, but that will have to wait until I'm done with a few other games. Hopefully they are like WoW enough to feed my hunger. I'm afraid I really want to return to playing WoW and I need my fantasy RPG fix.

Steam got me again. Morrowind and Oblivion bought. They keep adding games to my back catalog, and I'm playing Stalker. I love you Steam, but my bank account hates you.

Modding Oblivion is fine with Steam? I don't want to replay vanilla Oblivion, I want to play the modded version with, at the very least, the fixed level scaling.

Aon

As has been said, Metro 2033 is a steal at 25 purely because of the amazing atmosphere in that game. It also has the best towns of the HD generation quite possibly. The atmosphere is different from STALKER in that the tension in STALKER is derived largely from how unforgiving and arbitrary the world is, while in Metro the world feels more authentic, for me at least. That said, both amazing games.

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question, how much were the Fallout 3 expansions originally? I got the original (probably for full price because I'm crazy) and only played a little bit. And then I got the expansions just now for $25. If they sold for less than $5 apiece then it seems like I messed up. :lol

Wallach

Blizzard said:
Stupid question, how much were the Fallout 3 expansions originally? I got the original (probably for full price because I'm crazy) and only played a little bit. And then I got the expansions just now for $25. If they sold for less than $5 apiece then it seems like I messed up. :lol

I think originally they were $10 per pack. Some of them were bundled though, I know I picked up Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc for $10.

Kritz

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Modding Oblivion is fine with Steam? I don't want to replay vanilla Oblivion, I want to play the modded version with, at the very least, the fixed level scaling.

It works exactly the same as it does for non-steam Oblivion as far as I've seen. I'm running the level scaling fix and a bunch of other things, still works fine.

Atilac

fallout 3 isn't running windows 7 x64
Keeps telling me to update .net framework 3
EDIT: set compatibility mode, and is now fixed

Wallach

I just ended up buying FO3 GOTY because I am still missing 3 of the stupid DLCs and they're still $10 a piece. So I bought the other stuff on sale too while I was there.

Shit is a scam! Damnit. I am weak.

markot

Banned
Just got Vegas pre order (mainly cause it will probably go up in price on the Aus store soon >.<) And 3 Goty for the dlc crap >.>

Wish I could gift my old Fo3, now I have 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom