• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

How do you turn on the pipboy light in Fallout 3? I don't see it listed in controls but I'm pretty sure you could turn it on and off in the 360 version.

Also is there no quick weapon select in the PC version?

Wallach

mileS said:
How do you turn on the pipboy light in Fallout 3? I don't see it listed in controls but I'm pretty sure you could turn it on and off in the 360 version.

Also is there no quick weapon select in the PC version?

Hold down Tab.

Edit - For weapon hotkeys, just hold any key 1-9 then choose the weapon to assign that key (pretty similar to the 360 version, but with more slots).

The_Inquisitor said:
Never played Morrowind. Barely played Oblivion. Building a new rig in next few months. Are these worth purchasing w/ an added graphic updates/fan patches?

I honestly think that Oblivion is worth buying for 25 bucks with no mods, but that is just my opinion. Mods just sweeten the deal. I say go for it.

Morrowind is mine for that price. I loved Oblivion, and since it would seems the next Elder Scrolls game is ages away, or possibly an MMO, I'll get around to playing this sometime.

Probably next year. :lol

mileS

Wallach said:
Hold down Tab.

Edit - For weapon hotkeys, just hold any key 1-9 then choose the weapon to assign that key (pretty similar to the 360 version, but with more slots).

Thanks!

Having a really good time with the game this time around. Sounds obvious to say but damn it looks way better on PC. I still think VATS is underrated. Never gets old for me but I also make sure I avoid the bloody mess perk. It could be better for melee but some of the knockout melee kills make up for that :lol Like the baseball bat to Butch's face

Double D

I just wanted to say that I've got Stalker with the 'complete' mod and the only reason I haven't played for more than a few hours is because it takes so fucking long to load every time I die (which has been a lot). I think my PC is plenty fast, so I'm not sure if there is any way around this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone played Spectromancer? Seems pretty interesting (Garfield of Magic fame) but not much out there in the way of reviews.

Damn, metro 2033 is on sale now too? Im so tempted to buy it, it looks fantastic, and is supposed to work well with 3D vision....but I dunno if I have time for it now.

hmmmmm....

Wallach

mileS said:
Thanks!

Having a really good time with the game this time around. Sounds obvious to say but damn it looks way better on PC. I still think VATS is underrated. Never gets old for me but I also make sure I avoid the bloody mess perk. It could be better for melee but some of the knockout melee kills make up for that :lol Like the baseball bat to Butch's face

I like to take Bloody Mess! I really do wish you could still target limbs and stuff when using unarmed/melee like in FO/FO2, but it's a decent trade-off to see them get power fisted in slo-mo. :lol

My favorite character is the same guy I used to play in the older games... a total melee guy with a penchant for all things explosive. Unarmed is fun too just because of the hilarious power fists, but it's such a perk sink because of Iron Fist.

If you're a melee fan you should do the Operation: Anchorage DLC straight away.

Blackheim

AstroLad said:
Has anyone played Spectromancer? Seems pretty interesting (Garfield of Magic fame) but not much out there in the way of reviews.

I'd like to know this also, I've been eyeballing it while at work. Looks like a rather stripped down version of MtG, which is fine, but is it fun?

Is there any way we can see which games on Steam support mods and post-launch DLC and which who don't.

Sometimes its sort of a gamble to figure out, whats the best buy.. retail or steam. arghhh.

epmode

Vigilant Walrus said:
Is there any way we can see which games on Steam support mods and post-launch DLC and which who don't.
Just about everything on Steam is fine with mods. The only exceptions I know of are Mirror's Edge (which doesn't allow you to install the rad time trial pack) and maybe one of the GTAs?

Blizzard

Banned
epmode said:
Just about everything on Steam is fine with mods. The only exceptions I know of are Mirror's Edge (which doesn't allow you to install the rad time trial pack) and maybe one of the GTAs?
Although interestingly, the Mirror's Edge stuff that doesn't work is the paid DLC, and the free time trial pack works with both retail and Steam custom maps. Not to mention, creating and testing custom maps in Mirror's Edge works way better in the Steam version since in the retail version, Faith dies to some weird anti-piracy thing when you playtest maps in the editor. :lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
GAF - Will my laptop be able to run Fallout 3 at all?

P880 @ 2.66
4 gigs
ati mobility radeon 4570 (512)
win 7

markot

Banned
Ermac said:
GAF - Will my laptop be able to run Fallout 3 at all?

P880 @ 2.66
4 gigs
ati mobility radeon 4570 (512)
win 7
yes

Card is the weakest link, but F3 isnt too demanding, so at least medium settings I guess, depending on ze resolution.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MNC said:
What are the USD prices for all the Bethesda sales? Tempted to get it imported to shave off extra euros.

Morrowind is $5. Oblivion is $8.50. Fallout 3 GoTY is $24.99.

Anyone find downloading from steam very slow?
I've tried many different servers around my area yet they make no difference.
My internet connection is fine, i've done tests, not sure what else to do.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
flipswitch said:
It depends on times of the day and if there are big sales or releases (or even patches), but I usually average between 1-2 mbps and have gone as high as 9 mbps.

epmode

Jirotrom said:
I heard that Fallout 3 steam version is horrible... Is there truth to this... because I can just wait.
I get an occasional crash when alt-tabbing back into the game but I was getting that for the retail version as well. In-game, it's very smooth.

Win 7 64

chixdiggit

AgentOtaku said:
Would most certainly buy Fallout3:GotY if not for this issue never really being fixed

Sure you can use ifpsclamp=60, but if it ever drops below that (which the engine does quite often when there's alot of action), everything runs in slow mow.

At some point I'm just going to buy it on 360 instead

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only if you use a controller? You would be using the mouse and keyboard on a game like this, right?

Aaron

If you don't use a mouse for Fallout 3, you might as well never shoot without VATS. You'll only be making the game less fun for yourself. Steam version is great. If you want to mod, you need to disable Live and move the DLC, but there's a program that does all that for you.

mileS

epmode said:
I get an occasional crash when alt-tabbing back into the game but I was getting that for the retail version as well. In-game, it's very smooth.

Win 7 64

random crashing when using VATS or bringing up the pipboy? Quad or Dual core?

The game engine has some issues with processors that have more than 2 cores. You can force the game to only use two of them and it will stop the freezing. I haven't had it freeze once since I did this several days ago.

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:
bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to:
bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert:
iNumHWThreads=2
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine bug from causing the game to freeze

Game still runs at 60 locked for me. This solved my random crashes.
The Steam version is fine.

flipswitch said:
There are many good items on sale and a completely free weekend for one game. The servers will probably be hammered all weekend.

Danneee

I bought Devil May Cry 4 via Gamersgate but when I make a shortcut to it through Steam the game just doesn't start. There are no problems starting it from the Start menu, just through Steam. I've had no problems with shortcuts in Steam with other games.
Anyone with similar problems or even better, a solution?

Aaron said:
If you don't use a mouse for Fallout 3, you might as well never shoot without VATS. You'll only be making the game less fun for yourself. Steam version is great. If you want to mod, you need to disable Live and move the DLC, but there's a program that does all that for you.

I have the GOTY edition and have modded it without disabling LIVE or moving the DLC. All that I did was download the mod manager and boom, ready to go.

Aaron

LovingSteam said:
I have the GOTY edition and have modded it without disabling LIVE or moving the DLC. All that I did was download the mod manager and boom, ready to go.
Honestly, I'm not sure why you need to disable Live, but all the how to posts I've seen on the net recommend it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LovingSteam said:
What's the name of the Mod Manager?

Doesn't the "disabling live" depends on which mods you have installed? I tried looking for a FO3 mod guide (like the oblivion ones) and i can't find anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom