• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

yea they had a much better deal on the C&C games during the holidays

and only 33% off C&C4? :lol I remember seeing the game on sale at GameStop for $30 not too long ago (it's gone back up since)

either way too much to pay for an online only kinda good strategy game

MoFuzz

I really was hoping for a lower price on Bad Company 2 seeing as how the amount of players (on Steam at least) has dropped so much since launch.

Wasn't it around 20,000 in the beginning? It's sitting around 7 to 8,000 these days...

vocab

Schmattakopf said:
Crysis wasn't a bad deal. But the BF2 collection was $7.50 at some point and half of the C&C games were a much better price.

Crysis was way lower than they offered. It was $13 for both. I'm hoping for Mirrors Edge for $5, maybe Dead space as well.

ArjanN

vocab said:
Crysis was way lower than they offered. It was $13 for both. I'm hoping for Mirrors Edge for $5, maybe Dead space as well.

Crysis wasn't a bad deal because it's a great game that's easily worth that. These new C&C games...not so much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
It would be hard to play on that thing D:
Nice that they're advertising it, though.

Really? A GeForce 320M, Core 2 Duo and a decent amount of RAM should be just fine for Team Fortress 2.

Boonoo

Zefah said:
Really? A GeForce 320M, Core 2 Duo and a decent amount of RAM should be just fine for Team Fortress 2.

Well, maybe hard to play was a bit harsh. But I don't think it would be able to hit a stable 60fps (with possible drops into the 20s) at even the lowest settings. It will be both gpu and cpu constrained.

Edit: looking at the specs again it looks like its the same as the new 13in mac book pros. On my sister in law's I was able to get it running ok, but not pretty and not stable 20-40 most of the time with the occasional drop into the teens on mid pop servers.

With the new mac mini I would gamble my knoledge and say that you could play at 1280x768 with the game on medium to max, no motion blur, between 30 and 60fps depending on 16 or 32man server.

Rather good imo, but TF2 changes every update to run worse so eh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
Well, maybe hard to play was a bit harsh. But I don't think it would be able to hit a stable 60fps (with possible drops into the 20s) at even the lowest settings. It will be both gpu and cpu constrained.

I guess it depends on resolution, but I remember getting pretty good performance playing Team Fortress 2 around release on an old Intel Core Duo (not C2D) with a GeForce 8600 at 1280x768 resolution and I actually had most settings on medium to high.

Dipswitch

Does the Red Alert 3: Uprising pack require the original RA3? I actually own it already, just not the Steam version. I want to ensure no monkey shines will ensue if I buy the Uprising pack on Steam.

Boonoo

Zefah said:
I guess it depends on resolution, but I remember getting pretty good performance playing Team Fortress 2 around release on an old Intel Core Duo (not C2D) with a GeForce 8600 at 1280x768 resolution and I actually had most settings on medium to high.

Yeah, it used to play a lot better at release. As diablohead said, with every update performance takes a hit as they add new things. It's gotten a lot more cpu intensive.

Hopefully on the mac side of things the OSX update will help.

zoku88

vocab said:
Don't buy C&C4. That is all.
Came in here to ask about that. Left satisfied. Thanks.

Btw have noticed the increasing trend of games on steam not includingdemos. That'kinda annoying

Every game should have a demo.

Dipswitch said:
Does the Red Alert 3: Uprising pack require the original RA3? I actually own it already, just not the Steam version. I want to ensure no monkey shines will ensue if I buy the Uprising pack on Steam.
No. It's standalone. I bought it and played a bit already, and do not own RA3 at all.

And while there's no MP, it does have a full skirmish mode in addition to the "mini-campaigns" and the challenge mode, in case anybody was wondering.

I just saw the price for MoH on Steam. Is this the first EA game to go for $60 on PC? If EA, Ubisoft, and Activision are charging $60 for PC games then are they going to start charging $70 for console games?

Furoba

Man I knew RA3 wasn't going to be hot, but it wasn't even worth the 10 euro... Confusing shit everywhere, useless UI, a Japan faction more China than Japan... Man, RA2 was so much better. :(

Dipswitch

panda21 said:
having played C&C3, the demo of red alert 3 and C&C4, i'd suggest not buying any of them, for any price.

Eh, C&C 3 wasn't bad. I just finished my playthrough a few weeks back. They didn't fuck with the essentials too badly, so it still felt like C&C (Shitty soundtrack aside). C&C 4 on the other hand......

Lothars

panda21 said:
having played C&C3, the demo of red alert 3 and C&C4, i'd suggest not buying any of them, for any price.

I disagree C&C 3 and kanes wraith, Red Alert 3 and the standalone expansions are great games and are worth it but I would recommend for people to wait for C&C4 to drop alot more in price.

dLMN8R said:
Kane & Lynch is ditching GFW Live for Steamworks, just like Fallout New Vegas:

http://www.pcgamer.com/?p=2757

I'm pretty sure you can expect all future SquareEnix and Edios games to carry Steamworks integration. There's some sort of agreement between SquareEnix and Valve that started back 2009 when The Last Remnant was released:

LOS ANGELES (February 24, 2009) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America (Square Enix), and Valve Corporation (Valve), a developer of leading-edge technologies and software, announced today an agreement to bring Square Enix titles to customers in North America via Steam®, Valve’s leading platform for digital content distribution and management.

http://exophase.com/industry/square...nant-over-steam-utilizes-steamworks-10247.htm

epmode

I <3 Memes said:
I just saw the price for MoH on Steam. Is this the first EA game to go for $60 on PC? If EA, Ubisoft, and Activision are charging $60 for PC games then are they going to start charging $70 for console games?
I don't think we'll see a price increase for console stuff but at least the poor publishers can finally get their fair share from those pirating PC bastards. Why should the ungrateful slobs get away with paying less? It's not like the PC platform is immune from licensing fees, right?

Oh wait.

Psy-Phi

Zefah said:
Windows gaming performance is not to be expected on the Mac, and I believe OpenGL is at fault. On my MBP I can get smooth frame rates, at medium settings, in both Valve's games and something like Starcraft 2 (except for in some hectic battles with cloaking involved). Same hardware, but running OS X instead of Windows, it's quite a bit lower in the frame rate, and unstable at the same settings I'd use in Windows.

Therer's a reason OpenGL is rarely used compared to Direct3D on windows.

Speaking of Mac gaming however -- where's the Mac games for this week Valve? I remember reading the launch hype and it sounded like it'd be every Wednesday. They missed the last few weeks, but at least had something drop by the end of the week.

I just want Plants vs Zombies, even if I have to buy it again or the price increases to the price at PopCap's web site.

Also, I wonder if Spore will be available in a sale this week...and if it will be Mac compatible (the disc release is). I'd buy it again if that's the case.

Valve employees at E3 were saying Counter-Strike next week for mac. Didn't rewind to hear if they said Source or 1.6, but I would assume they meant Source.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
crimsonheadGCN said:
Apple is featuring Team Fortress 2 in their Mac Mini store page:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html
256mb of vram is pretty laughable these days. I was dying to update from 512 to 1024 last year. I also love how they just show performance increases rather than an actual benchmark with fps/resolution data. Mac really needs to get fucking serious about videocards otherwise people are being held back from using those bigass Apple monitors that look fucking astonishing to their fullest potential.

Danj

Spwn said:
MtG is up. Oh joy! But you have to create a Wizards of the Coast account to play. Whatta?

Uhoh, why does it make me select my country before directing me to the account creation page? Is DOTP region locked?

Danj said:
Uhoh, why does it make me select my country before directing me to the account creation page? Is DOTP region locked?

I'm pretty sure that is because it needs the country to tell if you are eligible for the promotion.

So I guess Toki Tori has been on Steam for a while, just noticed now that they've added a demo for it.

Only $5 for the full game in HD with Steam achievements, nice! For those that haven't played it on the Wii, I highly recommend trying it out.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Danj said:
Yeah, you don't need the sign up to play. They're just trying to give you a free promo card, in return for a chance to sign you up for their newsletter.

Salacious Crumb

I <3 Memes said:
Valve employees at E3 were saying Counter-Strike next week for mac. Didn't rewind to hear if they said Source or 1.6, but I would assume they meant Source.

Valve have said that they aren't releasing any Goldsource games for mac, at least not yet, so it will be CS:S.

hamchan

75% off Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box (yay): $7.50
50% off Need for speed Undercover (meh): $5
25% off Need for speed Shift (meh): $22.50

To me only burnout seems worth it.

Trouble

Banned
Burnout Paradise Ultimate for $7.50.

Sold.

tjohn86 said:
is burnout gfwl?
Doesn't look like it. GFWL is usually listed in the system requirements when a game needs it. I'm pretty sure you do need an EA account to play online, though.

tjohn86 said:
is burnout gfwl?

Nope, it does not. EA generally wants to have full control of their games, so they could end online play or support for it. So it's very rare for them to use GfWL or Steamworks in their games.

tjohn86 said:
Ultimate box doesnt include all the DLC? No big surf or cops and robbers?

No Big Surf or Cops and Robbers.

poweld

Tried out the ME2 demo yesterday. Hot damn am I excited for Saturday! I hope it's a good deal, cause EA has got me hook line and sinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom