• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFish

Tried installing the Mass Effect 2 demo... but it won't finish installing because of corrupted files :(

tried downloading twice from two different places, gonna try a third.

EDIT: Downloading the 3rd time worked... hmm

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Burnout Paradise keeps crashing to desktop on the initial loading screen. :(

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Anyone else having this problem? Looking at the Steam forum for this others have ran into this and for some running in XP/Vista Compatibility and disabling your webcam in the configuration fixed it, but not for me.

poweld

DaFish said:
Tried installing the Mass Effect 2 demo... but it won't finish installing because of corrupted files :(

tried downloading twice from two different places, gonna try a third.

EDIT: Downloading the 3rd time worked... hmm
Pretty bizarre that that happened. Let me know what you think, curious if we have similar "OMG IM PUMPED" tastes :D

P.S. I got (us) FFIX on PSN... oh and everything for Burnout Paradise. Not sure how long it's been since you've checked in.

AKS

Great King Bowser said:

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Anyone else having this problem? Looking at the Steam forum for this others have ran into this and for some running in XP/Vista Compatibility and disabling your webcam in the configuration fixed it, but not for me.

Damn, I wish I had read this 2 minutes ago. I just bought it and have Vista 64. I'm going to be very irritated if it doesn't run. Downloading right now.

Great King Bowser said:

Glad I didn't buy...

Frawdder

Burnout Paradise at $7.50 is too good to pass up again (I passed the last time it was on sale, not again!). I put many hours into the PS3 version and will probably do the same with the PC version.

:D

Lothars

I love Burnout Paradise but I don't think I will pick it up though i am looking forward to the dragon age sale because I am hoping that Awakenings will be on sale but tomorrow is supposedly spore and if they have a decent bundle pack, I would pick that up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I already own the PSN version of Paradise, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I don't know when I'll actually get around to playing this. God damn it, Steam.

Trouble

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
WOW! THAT'S A LOW PRICE!
Rddmd.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Javaman said:
so.... Good deal?

j7rkoh.jpg
Has everybody moved on from FUEL? I'm curious because once I get my computer up and running I'd like to get back in. Or Burnout. And TF2.

AKS

Great King Bowser said:

Fuck, I'm having the same problem.

SapientWolf said:
Same. Driver/Securom issues maybe?

It's probably driver, since SecuROM is generally removed from EA games prior to a Steam release. There has only been two titles from EA that had any other DRM integrated on the Steam version and that was Bad Company 2 (removed in one of the patches) and Command & Conquer 3 (mistakenly left in and removed in a patch shortly after it was discovered).

Javaman

Jangaroo said:
Has everybody moved on from FUEL? I'm curious because once I get my computer up and running I'd like to get back in. Or Burnout. And TF2.

We've only scratched the surface with Fuel. I definitely don't want to quit yet.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Javaman said:
We've only scratched the surface with Fuel. I definitely don't want to quit yet.
Fantastic. Don't quit. I have to at least fit in a few more sessions with you guys before the semester starts.

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's even lower if you get someone from Europe to gift it to you. The European price converts to about $5.00

Edit: Oops @ the double post.

Serious? Well then, if anyone from Europe could help gift me with BP, I'd be very happy:D
EDIT: I'll pay for it of course :p

Sloegr

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's probably driver, since SecuROM is generally removed from EA games prior to a Steam release. There has only been two titles from EA that had any other DRM integrated on the Steam version and that was Bad Company 2 (removed in one of the patches) and Command & Conquer 3 (mistakenly left in and removed in a patch shortly after it was discovered).

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are published by EA, and unfortunately both have SecuROM.

cochese

I'm having the same problem. Any way to fix this??

ElJuice said:
Crysis and Crysis Warhead are published by EA, and unfortunately both have SecuROM.

Neither Crysis or Crysis Warhead fell under the agreement that EA has with Valve. I'm pretty sure the agreement was originally between Valve and Crytek and it was their call to leave the DRM in.

Toby

wmat said:
It's a good deal, but I'm never gonna play it, so pass. Nearly irresistible though :lol
Good call. I bought it during the winter sale for about the same price. Really, its just an ok game. Nothing special to keep you coming back, so ended up quitting after a few hours.

Ok I have windows 7 64 bit and I was getting that problem like you guys, what fixed it for me was going into the steam folder and finding the directory for burnout, right click on the shortcut and go to properties, then go to compatibility and click the box that says run this program in compatibility mode, set it to windows xp service pack 3

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
vocab said:
So, Dead Space port on PC. Shit or good? I need to know for tomorrow.
Passable, some issue with vsync on + mousespeed though unless you play with controller or something like that.

Salsa

vocab said:

Better than 360 version when switching v-sync off (mouse lags if not), if you dont mind a little tearing. Also, turn up the mouse speed, default is really slow.

Slavik81

vocab said:
The game is good. The port job is shit.

The menu has something like a half-second of cusor lag, and it makes two folders in "My Documents" one called "Electronic Arts" and one called "Electrontic Arts". The texturing is a bit lackluster, and I couldn't find any way to increase it beyond the default. I'm using a 360 pad and its been working nicely. Performance has been solid.

While you're playing it's fine, but its very clearly a sloppy port.

Aaron

vocab said:
If you play with a mouse, you have to play with vsync off. Otherwise, runs great. Notch up from the 360 version.

Burnout Paradise isn't so hot anymore. :( I jacked everything right up and eh. It's quite surprising that it hasn't aged too well, I remember being blown away by the visuals on 360 back at launch.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
GhostRidah said:
Ok I have windows 7 64 bit and I was getting that problem like you guys, what fixed it for me was going into the steam folder and finding the directory for burnout, right click on the shortcut and go to properties, then go to compatibility and click the box that says run this program in compatibility mode, set it to windows xp service pack 3

Tried that, still no dice. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Aaron said:
If you play with a mouse, you have to play with vsync off. Otherwise, runs great. Notch up from the 360 version.

If you use D3DOverrider (free), you can play with a mouse and v-sync in Dead Space, without the atrocious lag you get from using the in-game option.

Great King Bowser said:
Re: Burnout Paradise

I had to uninstall my webcam drivers (in my case drivers for the PS Eye), working fine now.
WHAT? I'll try this later today. I played BOP just fine but never tried it with the PSEye connected.

Remy

Burnout Paradise is a triple dip for me, after getting the disc and PSN versions previously. I think it's the only game I've logged more time on than TF2.

Dumb tip, though: if you're trying to log in for the registration screen at the beginning and realize you can't type an "@" symbol for your EA login - you have to have a persona called "EA ID" as part of your account and use the name of that persona as the login. You can add it through the EA user management website if you don't have one (I didn't, although I had 8 other personas at the time).

epmode

I'd love to get Paradise on PC but there's no chance until they include support for the island DLC.
Slavik81 said:
The game is good. The port job is shit.

The menu has something like a half-second of cusor lag, and it makes two folders in "My Documents" one called "Electronic Arts" and one called "Electrontic Arts". The texturing is a bit lackluster, and I couldn't find any way to increase it beyond the default. I'm using a 360 pad and its been working nicely. Performance has been solid.

While you're playing it's fine, but its very clearly a sloppy port.
If you're playing with anything other than a 360 pad (or some other pad with emulation software), it's sloppy. With a pad, lovely.

I don't get that menu lag, BTW. In case this is important, I use the vsync setting from D3D Overrider, not the in-game setting.

poweld

epmode said:
I don't get that menu lag, BTW. In case this is important, I use the vsync setting from D3D Overrider, not the in-game setting.
It is important, the in-game vsync is what causes the lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom