• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

I've been playing some Burnout games and it's good ol' fun. Running around, jumping, crashing and doing nasty things is fun in itself. In fact, I think races are not as fun as they could be. Maybe freedom of choice detracts from the sheer entertainment and more intense traffic is missed. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying my time and for 4€ you can ask no more.

On the topic of mirror's edge and dead space...

Mirror's Edge at a good price is a must-buy for any self-respecting pc gamer. Gorgeous visuals matched with gameplay that never grows stale. Even if you've played the game on consoles it's worth double-dipping on thanks to 60fps and the precision of mouse aiming which almost makes it an entirely different game as far as I'm concerned.

Dead Space is awesome. The port job isn't worth a double-dip, but anybody new to the game should by all means pick it up. Do play with a 360 controller if possible. Keyboard and Mouse is still a very viable option, but its mouse-aim is flawed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
In half an hour.

Monday: Crysis
Tuesday: Military
Wednesday: C&C
Thursday: Racing
Friday: Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Spore
Saturday: Mass Effect
Sunday: Dragon Age

Also not everybody has mouse problems with Dead Space. It worked fine for me using 2 different PC builds. I wouldn't want to guess at what percentage has problems and what percentage doesn't, but not everybody has the vsync mouse problem.

What time do they post up todays sales anyway?

Edit: @ above. How do you know what is going to be on sale? No Mass Effect 2?

Lyphen said:
In half an hour.

Monday: Crysis
Tuesday: Military
Wednesday: C&C
Thursday: Racing
Friday: Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Spore
Saturday: Mass Effect
Sunday: Dragon Age

Nice. I'll buy Burnout now and Dead Space in a bit then. Go go Steam.

Darklord

Banned
Aaron said:
If you play with a mouse, you have to play with vsync off. Otherwise, runs great. Notch up from the 360 version.

I prefer playing with V-sync on. The slow movement takes a bit to get use to but it feels more like the game was meant to be played.

Suairyu

Banned
Javaman said:
We've only scratched the surface with Fuel. I definitely don't want to quit yet.
Huh. So Fuel is good with a group, then? I've only played it single player so far - I fire it up when I want a dose of isolation and mood soak to inspire certain styles when writing; it never really occurred to me to play it with others because of that sense of isolation (also why I haven't done many races). I'd very much like to try it out with you guys if you have some planned sessions in the near future.

Remy

Suairyu said:
Huh. So Fuel is good with a group, then? I've only played it single player so far - I fire it up when I want a dose of isolation and mood soak to inspire certain styles when writing; it never really occurred to me to play it with others because of that sense of isolation (also why I haven't done many races). I'd very much like to try it out with you guys if you have some planned sessions in the near future.

We've been having fun with it. Having a group of 6 people bombing across a mostly deserted wasteland in the hopes of finding a livery or a doppler truck is kind of a hoot. We certainly haven't done races with any regularity, though.

We've got our own thread, too.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Gah, i already have Dead Space, Mirror's and Spore.
If Dragon Age is at a good price point i think i may finally jump in.

hamchan

eaWeek_friday_spotlight.jpg

$5 Mirror's Edge
$10 Dead Space
$26.79 Spore
$60.27 Spore Complete Pack

poweld

Is it Saturday yet? Seriously, that demo has me jonesing.

I3rand0 said:
How is Spore?
Great fun, but once you've gotten to the end-game it's not really worth playing more of. A day or two of fun, maybe, but really lost the spark quickly for me. Not a recommend for me.

Lumine

I saw Mass Effect 2 in shops today for 20 euro's and the special edition for 25. I decided to wait though because I wasn't sure if I can add the retail version to Steam. Yeah I know it's getting bad. :p

Wallach

I slept almost all of yesterday so I guess I missed Burnout. Whoops.

Mirror's Edge is nabbed, though. Picked up Dead Space during the mega-sale last year, game is amazing and easily worth $10.

Dangit I was hoping to get both games. Now I have to choose and I already know I am going to go back and forth for the next hour trying to decide.

I <3 Memes said:
Dangit I was hoping to get both games. Now I have to choose and I already know I am going to go back and forth for the next hour trying to decide.

Having played both, I'd probably say get Mirror's Edge.

It's cheaper, and I probably enjoyed it as much as Dead Space. Dead Space is a bit longer, but Mirror's Edge has more replayablility.

Can't go wrong with either though. I really like both games.

JoeBoy101

archnemesis said:
Only 50% off Dead Space? I guess I'll wait another six months or so.

For God sakes' man, $10 is a steal for a game as good as Dead Space. Holds up well graphically and is worth at least a couple of playthroughs. I might feel you a bit more if it were $15, but $10?

JoeBoy101 said:
For God sakes' man, $10 is a steal for a game as good as Dead Space. Holds up well graphically and is worth at least a couple of playthroughs. I might feel you a bit more if it were $15, but $10?
It never ceases to amaze me how cheap people are in this thread.

Nabs

buy mirrors edge. turn off runners vision / crosshair, and have fun.

if you have me on my list, and want to play some burnout later this evening/night, just send me a message. we could probably get a full game.

Does it take a super crazy PC to run ME2 at pretty good settings? I just got rid of my 360, but if I have to upgrade to get ME1 and ME2 on PC, I'll take the plunge.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
brandonh83 said:
Does it take a super crazy PC to run ME2 at pretty good settings? I just got rid of my 360, but if I have to upgrade to get ME1 and ME2 on PC, I'll take the plunge.
What are your specs? It is Unreal Engine 3 based so even modest hardware should have little problem running it.

vocab

Mirrors Edge bought! It's a great PC port, back when DICE knew how to optimize a game engine.

brandonh83 said:

Definitely not.

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
buy mirrors edge. turn off runners vision / crosshair, and have fun.
My advice (I really like Mirror's Edge and have played it different ways but I may be biased):

If you hate puzzles, leave runner vision on. You will probably have a smoother time through the game the first time that way.
If you get motion sickness, leave the crosshair on. It will give you something to focus on.

Other than that, I won't say much besides pointing out that the paid DLC will not work with the Steam version (without serious puttering around with the files), but there is some limited custom map capability, and it shouldn't be too hard to run this fan-created DLC instead if you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rrZcY4pQDM
http://www.filefront.com/14327703/TaploDLC.zip/

Wallach

brandonh83 said:

Not at all. My 9800GTX+ easily ran ME2 at max settings and was generally 60 FPS (VSync) throughout the whole game at 1920x1080. I didn't have AA on, though.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM, Geforce G210 card

I guess the dual cores is good, RAM is obviously covered but I dont know about the video card or GHz. Please god bear with me I'm not up to date on this stuff.

Nabs

i dunno, i really enjoyed playing through it w/o the game holding my hand. i have a ton of fun exploring and experimenting. runners vision can be helpful when trying to beat your time, but i think you're missing a lot with it on during your first run. i dunno, maybe it's just me.

vocab

Wallach said:
Not at all. My 9800GTX+ easily ran ME2 at max settings and was generally 60 FPS (VSync) throughout the whole game at 1920x1080. I didn't have AA on, though.

AA takes a massive hit in ME2, my 5850 doesn't even hit 60 frames with 2 AA.

EDIT: ouch GT210 is not that great. You may want to find that ME2 demo before buying it.

Wallach

brandonh83 said:

I guess the dual cores is good, RAM is obviously covered but I dont know about the video card or GHz. Please god bear with me I'm not up to date on this stuff.

Hm... the GT210 is a pretty low-end graphics solution. On the other hand, I do have my 9800GTX+ for sale in the B/S/T thread... :D

vocab said:
AA takes a massive hit in ME2, my 5850 doesn't even hit 60 frames with 2 AA.

Yeah, since it's UE3 and has to be forced it's a pretty big hit. I don't run AA on my 5850 either.

So would I just need to upgrade the card? The other stuff check out okay?

:lol @ my noobness, I'm mainly a console gamer but I need my Mass Effect.

brandonh83 said:

That video card will hold you back a bit. You would do well to grab something in the $100 range if you have the means.

Ask around in the PC thread and I'm sure you get plenty of midrange suggestions.

brandonh83 said:

Yeah, that CPU and RAM are good to go. Just need a boost in the video card department.

EDIT: maybe this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102859

or for a bit more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462

Wallach

brandonh83 said:

Your CPU is fine, and you have quite a lot of RAM (more than you'd need for any gaming purposes). The video card is definitely a weak spot for gaming, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom