• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks fellas, really appreciate it. I thought about buying a new card today but I wasn't sure if that's all I would need to do to it. Thanks for the help.

Wallach

brandonh83 said:
Thanks fellas, really appreciate it. I thought about buying a new card today but I wasn't sure if that's all I would need to do to it. Thanks for the help.

Just remember to check if you're going to need a PSU when upgrading your video card, and check your case for size, as a lot of newer cards are rather large.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brandonh83 said:
Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM, Geforce G210 card

I guess the dual cores is good, RAM is obviously covered but I dont know about the video card or GHz. Please god bear with me I'm not up to date on this stuff.
There is an ME2 demo. My HTPC is a similar spec and it struggles to maintain 30fps at 720p in games like RE5 without really lowering the settings. I would imagine that ME2 is pretty similar.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
It never ceases to amaze me how cheap people are in this thread.
Yep, that's all the thread is. Really fucking annoying if you ask me. It should just be deals and recommendations, not all this goddamn whining about shit not being cheap enough.

Wallach said:
Just remember to check if you're going to need a PSU when upgrading your video card, and check your case for size, as a lot of newer cards are rather large.

Good to know. Yeah, this is why I don't hardly ever fool with PC gaming, I just can't keep up with it. I used to about 5-6 years ago, but then just gave up.

What's amusing is that I have a TON of games on Steam, but never really play them because of the performance.

Wallach said:
Not at all. My 9800GTX+ easily ran ME2 at max settings and was generally 60 FPS (VSync) throughout the whole game at 1920x1080.

The Bait

Wallach said:
Hm... the GT210 is a pretty low-end graphics solution. On the other hand, I do have my 9800GTX+ for sale in the B/S/T thread... :D

Then the catch

:lol

Wallach

brandonh83 said:
Good to know. Yeah, this is why I don't hardly ever fool with PC gaming, I just can't keep up with it. I used to about 5-6 years ago, but then just gave up.

What's amusing is that I have a TON of games on Steam, but never really play them because of the performance.

You can definitely get good performance out of most games without spending a lot of money. I usually "buy heavy" every couple years and that is usually all that is necessary.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol wut. I get a locked 60 fps with forced 8x AA through CCC on a 5850 in Mass Effect 2.

Or were you guys discussing Mirror's Edge 2... I fucking wish

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stallion Free said:
Yep, that's all the thread is. Really fucking annoying if you ask me. It should just be deals and recommendations, not all this goddamn whining about shit not being cheap enough.
Lets face it, by now most of us are buying games to add to a backlog that far exceeds our time for actually playing games. $10 is too expensive for a single extra grayed out line line in the 'All Games' list, even with the addition of background images.

Wallach

Stallion Free said:
Lol wut. I get a locked 60 fps with forced 8x AA through CCC on a 5850 in Mass Effect 2.

Hm, I don't. I'd get FPS drops during explosions, especially when scoped as an Infiltrator. What resolution?

Atilac

vocab said:
AA takes a massive hit in ME2, my 5850 doesn't even hit 60 frames with 2 AA.

EDIT: ouch GT210 is not that great. You may want to find that ME2 demo before buying it.
Strange, my 4890 runs ME2 with 4xAA and vsynce at 1600x900 comfortably

poppabk said:
Lets face it, by now most of us are buying games to add to a backlog that far exceeds our time for actually playing games. $10 is too expensive for a single extra grayed out line line in the 'All Games' list, even with the addition of background images.
Not to mention that it's nobody's place to judge someone else for not buying something. It isn't like this is $10 once in a while; some great game is on sale for $10 every week.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poppabk said:
That's fine, just don't bitch in this thread that it isn't cheap enough to be added to your fucking backlog, like you were owed a fucking 95% off deal or something.

nexen

EA week is heating up finally.

Dead Space PC is mine. But should I triple dip on Mirror's Edge just for steam access? It is cheap as dirt...hmm.

Blizzard

Banned
nexen said:
EA week is heating up finally.

Dead Space PC is mine. But should I triple dip on Mirror's Edge just for steam access? It is cheap as dirt...hmm.
If you mean you have ME on 360/PS3, then it's probably worth it for the graphics and controls upgrade (as long as you have a decent computer). If you mean from retail to steam version, no, unless you want to run the map editor. :p

Wallach

Stallion Free said:
1080p, everything maxed. I just played through the new DLC without a single drop in FPS.

Hm... I think I'm remembering my experience with the 9800GTX+, because now that I think about it I haven't used CCC's 3D settings much yet. Only had it for a couple weeks now and other than Overlord I don't think I've played much ME2. Everything else I've been playing has AA options in-game. I should probably do that next time.

nexen

Blizzard said:
If you mean you have ME on 360/PS3, then it's probably worth it for the graphics and controls upgrade (as long as you have a decent computer). If you mean from retail to steam version, no, unless you want to run the map editor. :p
I have x360 and PC version already. I'm just on a steam kick lately and having trouble passing this up for $5.

Blizzard

Banned
nexen said:
I have x360 and PC version already. I'm just on a steam kick lately and having trouble passing this up for $5.
The disadvantage will be DLC. The advantage will be the installs in multiple places, the map editor, and the lack of having to use the license reclaim tool with the SecuROM retail (which I think has like 5 limited installs). CHOOSE WISELY
you know you can't resist donating $5 more to Steam

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
The disadvantage will be DLC. The advantage will be the installs in multiple places, the map editor, and the lack of having to use the license reclaim tool with the SecuROM retail (which I think has like 5 limited installs). CHOOSE WISELY
you know you can't resist donating $5 more to Steam
Not having to reclaim your licenses is easily worth 5$ to me.

Inkwell

Banned
I was hoping that since Mirror's Edge was going on sale that maybe they would release a Steam compatible version of the DLC. The game has been on sale a few times on Steam, so I'm sure there has to be enough purchases to justify a Steam compatible version.

Is the PC version of Mirrors Edge much better then the console version? My PC isn't that good, so I don't think I will have much advantage graphics-wise.

Miau

Neo Member
Prophet Steve said:
Is the PC version of Mirrors Edge much better then the console version? My PC isn't that good, so I don't think I will have much advantage graphics-wise.

Yes. Yes it is. In fact, its so good that I bought it twice. PC version has the best IQ and textures. Mouse and keyboard helps immensely as well.

DO IT.

edit: About the PC specs, the game is well optimized so unless its a really old rig I wouldn't don't worry about it. I played it on my Macbook Pro with a 9600M GT and never had performance issues. It uses Unreal Engine 3 so if you have previously played a game using that engine you already have an idea of what performance you should expect.

Narag

eh, I'll go for mirror's edge for that price. Hopefully Dragon Age is a great deal too so I can doubledip on that. 360 version just didn't do it for me.

DaFish

poweld said:
Pretty bizarre that that happened. Let me know what you think, curious if we have similar "OMG IM PUMPED" tastes :D

P.S. I got (us) FFIX on PSN... oh and everything for Burnout Paradise. Not sure how long it's been since you've checked in.
Yeah, I'm Pumped! I actually stopped playing the demo after you find the chic (where it says if you play any farther it will not transfer over), I'm already sold... Runs good too.

FFIX, sweet!!! almost pulled trigger on that

I think I got Burnout from ya already <3

mileS

vocab said:
AA takes a massive hit in ME2, my 5850 doesn't even hit 60 frames with 2 AA.

EDIT: ouch GT210 is not that great. You may want to find that ME2 demo before buying it.

you sure about that? :lol

I get 60 fps locked in ME2 with 8x MSAA and I still get 60-45 lowest with 2x SSAA.
i5 750 + 5850.

AA hardly effects ME2's performance at all... its just like any other game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mirror's Edge and Dead Space are both great. Don't miss out if you haven't played them. And they look great on gaming PCs if you've only played 'em on console.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Dead space didnt float my boat but ME (and Burnout Paradise which i got earlier) always get flaoted around in the "games you have to play" camp, for £9 ish its alot of game for little :D

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ah crap, seems like im part of the people who cant get Burnout working :( got the windows7 startup crash. Do i ticket this? Or is there likely to be a general patch release?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prophet Steve said:
Ok, I bought Mirrors Edge. But I won't buy Dead Space since I already finished it three times on my 360.
Wise move, Dead Space is a nice visual upgrade on PC, but definitely not worth it if it's going to be your 4th time through.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, if you enable Vsync through your video card drivers for Dead Space, it works okay. If you do it through the in-game way, not so much.

If you're on the fence about whether to get it for ten bucks, it is DEFINITELY worth it, especially if you haven't played it before. Fantastic game.

vocab

Stallion Free said:

mileS said:
you sure about that? :lol

I get 60 fps locked in ME2 with 8x MSAA and I still get 60-45 lowest with 2x SSAA.
i5 750 + 5850.

AA hardly effects ME2's performance at all... its just like any other game.

I meant 4x. Are you sure it's on though? I'm looking at a bench saying the 5850 with a I7 @ 3.5 gets 56 frames max on 1920 x 1200. Even @ 1600 res with a 4890, it gets cut in half. Maybe this bench site sucks, but I haven't tried it my self. CCC works when it wants to with games. I don't want to download 12 gigs to prove my self wrong :lol I lost a lot of trust with my hardware lately since I still haven't reformatted, and my performance on some games seem random.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
I meant 4x. Are you sure it's on though? I'm looking at a bench saying the 5850 with a I7 @ 3.5 gets 56 frames max on 1920 x 1200. Even @ 1600 res with a 4890, it gets cut in half. Maybe this bench site sucks, but I haven't tried it my self. CCC works when it wants to with games. I don't want to download 12 gigs to prove my self wrong :lol
It's definitely on. I'm using Cat 10.5 for reference.

neoism

so guys is dead space really good... I download the demo on 360 awhile ago, and it didn't really do anything for me.. Also does it have 360 pad support??

vocab

Stallion Free said:
It's definitely on. I'm using Cat 10.5 for reference.

Alright, I'll take your word for it. Also 10.6 is out. 2d performance upgrades, and new control panel for flash enhancements, and a lot of performance increases. Somehow they screwed up BC2 again with crossfire though :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom