• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
neoism said:
so guys is dead space really good... I download the demo on 360 awhile ago, and it didn't really do anything for me.. Also does it have 360 pad support??
The demo was shit, I played it before I got the game too and was really underwhelmed, which worked out great because the game really blew me away then. 360 pad has perfect support.

Wallach

vocab said:
Alright, I'll take your word for it. Also 10.6 is out. 2d performance upgrades, and new control panel for flash enhancements, and a lot of performance increases. Somehow they screwed up BC2 again with crossfire though :lol

Oh, I didn't notice. Thanks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
Alright, I'll take your word for it. Also 10.6 is out. 2d performance upgrades, and new control panel for flash enhancements, and a lot of performance increases. Somehow they screwed up BC2 again with crossfire though :lol
Yeah, I'm installing 10.6 tonight and I don't expect it to hurt the ME2 performance at all. This was 8x AA box, with multisample AA quality.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Schmattakopf said:
Apart from technical problems, should Mirror's Edge and Dead Space be played with a controller?
Yeah, ME works perfect and even changes button prompts. Wouldn't recommend it at all though as the game feels a million times better with mouse. Dead Space feels better with the mouse simply because it's a lot easier to take off limbs which is important in the game. Also, the asteroid section is hella easy. Dudes struggle to survive it at all on 360, let alone keep the health over 50% while I get 80% health on my first try with a mouse :lol

neoism said:
so guys is dead space really good... I download the demo on 360 awhile ago, and it didn't really do anything for me.. Also does it have 360 pad support??
Yes, Dead Space is really really good and I think I haven't seen a single person that is negative on the game. The 360 demo is indeed crap, but the whole game is better.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
So i'm gonna bet Spore's purchaes go up by 0.0001% at best during this sale?
Seriously you can probably get Spore for like a fiver these days. I was expecting a tenner or less.
I have all 3 of those games anyway :/

itxaka

Defeatist
The fuck is doing spore at 27€?

Why is still that expensive? When I saw it was 33% off I was ready to buy it, even if it doesn't really works well with my laptop but at that price? No fucking way.

I'll rather get DS and ME for 12€ for my next computer.:D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fuck, now I have Dead Space's black-screen issue (game starts, screen is black, Alt-F4 ends). I don't remember having had that when I originally installed it earlier this year or whenever I got it.

Verified cached files, downloading like 4.6GB of data again. But somehow I can't shake the feeling it won't do..

Trouble

Banned
Anyone have this issue? It says I have 2 games in the favorites category, but when I click on the category there is nothing.

I think I may have favorited preorders that I canceled. Am I screwed forever to see 2 favorites that don't exist?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I bought Burnout Paradise, game looks and runs fantastic at max settings.
And god damn, the crash-cam is awesome in every way possible, it feels like Midtown Madness on speed and epic jumps and sweet shortcuts and high speed racing and stunt challenges and ohmygod I'm drowning in awesome.

Psy-Phi

wmat said:
Fuck, now I have Dead Space's black-screen issue (game starts, screen is black, Alt-F4 ends). I don't remember having had that when I originally installed it earlier this year or whenever I got it.

Verified cached files, downloading like 4.6GB of data again. But somehow I can't shake the feeling it won't do..

I never experienced the issue myself, but did you already try adjusting all the video settings or can you not even see that? If that's invisible then that's really a really f'd up bug.

Typical things like new drivers checked? I'm sure you have newer video card drivers than the last time you played it? So maybe even downgrade your videocard drivers?

Is it normal for the screensaver to turn on when using a controller? I had it happen twice now in Burnout Paradise and the game doesn't seem react to well to it coming on. Simply alt tabbing out and back in fixes the game though, but it's a minor annoyance.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Psy-Phi said:
I never experienced the issue myself, but did you already try adjusting all the video settings or can you not even see that? If that's invisible then that's really a really f'd up bug.

Typical things like new drivers checked? I'm sure you have newer video card drivers than the last time you played it? So maybe even downgrade your videocard drivers?
I went through all the usual troubleshooting steps; as a last resort, I verified game files via that Steam functionality, and that fixed things.

Cindres said:
So i'm gonna bet Spore's purchaes go up by 0.0001% at best during this sale?
Seriously you can probably get Spore for like a fiver these days. I was expecting a tenner or less.
I have all 3 of those games anyway :/
Yeah, it's a shame. :(

I haven't seen it that cheap, but it's $15 on Amazon. I'm not interested in paying that for a disc copy, though.

Oreoleo

crimsonheadGCN said:
Is it normal for the screensaver to turn on when using a controller?

Definitely not. In fact the screen saver shouldn't come on at all if you have something running in full screen mode.

John

Bought DS and ME, which I didn't like on console, in hopes of liking them with better controls/hardware/the ability to take screenshots, and will sell my PS3 copies on ebay. I'll actually make money.

Orellio said:
Definitely not. In fact the screen saver shouldn't come on at all if you have something running in full screen mode.

I was actually wrong. It is not triggering the screensaver but it is shutting off the monitor after the specific amount of time that is stated in Vista's power settings. I've tried it with 1 minute, 5 minutes and 20 minutes and every time I've used the pad without touching the keyboard or mouse or allowed it idle for the specific amount time, it just shuts down the monitor :\

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
I was actually wrong. It is not triggering the screensaver but it is shutting off the monitor after the specific amount of time that is stated in the power settings. I've tried it with 1 minute, 5 minutes and 20 minutes and every time I've allowed the game to idle for the specific amount time, it just shuts down the monitor :\
Have you checked your Windows power settings in the control panel? It might have a monitor power-off/blanking time set.

Blizzard said:
Have you checked your Windows power settings in the control panel? It might have a monitor power-off/blanking time set.

Yes, it does. Just never had this problem before with SF4 and I really don't want to have to disable automatic screen off :\. Guess I'll just press the keyboard once every few minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
According to Steam I have gifted Mirror's Edge to six different people by now. I may be biased about liking it but at least I encourage other people to try it. :lol Hopefully my account doesn't randomly get disabled for too many purchases or something.

These random PC quirks suck. And not that it is an excuse for it . . . but a nice thing about Steam is that you end up with so many games that you can just give on up those which you can't get to run easily.

Blizzard

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
guys I have 5870 and i cant seem to to run Mirrors edge maxed out 1920 x 1080 at a stable 60fps(with physx off). Is this normal?
I wouldn't think so. I can run 1680x1050 with 8xQ AA settings (physx off) at (mostly?) 60 fps with a 5850, and I have a stock speed core 2 duo 2.0 GHz e8400. What is your CPU, what OS, and have you updated your video card drivers lately? What framerates are you getting?

*edit* Well, when I first installed it like a week ago I thought I got 60 fps, and now I get like 24 fps. I don't know what causes that but it's weird. Maybe my 5850 is dying already. I'll see if a reboot fixes it. :(

*edit again* I didn't even reboot. Two notes: One, alt-tabbing out of the game seems a little weird, so you might not want to do it too much. Two, and I think this is the big one, check your CCC settings:

aa_settingsj4i.jpg

Even though it says to use application settings, make sure that your AA is changed to "Box". Mine was changed to Edge, and I guess it was trying to do high-quality AA which was killing the performance. Now I get 30-60 fps in most areas it seems, and I think it still looks decent to me:

mirrorsedge2010-06-182sj3r.jpg

If someone thinks there's anything wrong with that image, please let me know so I can try to fix my system. :p

*edit one last time* Yes, using anything but "box" definitely kills my performance. I do recommend changing the AA mode to adaptive multi-sample anti-aliasing, though. There are still jaggies ingame, I guess, but it seems to make rails look better at a distance.

thatbox

Banned
I'm having a couple of problems with Burnout Paradise. I can't find a way to configure my Controller S in the game, I can't find a way to check the keybinds (I use a French AZERTY keyboard so things are a little weird), and I can't login the to EA ID I made in Mass Effect 2. I can login on EA's site, because it uses the email address as the login name, but Burnout doesn't allow the @ symbol in the username box. Anybody seen this before? I'm stumped :(

Blizzard said:
I wouldn't think so. I can run 1680x1050 with 8xQ AA settings (physx off) at (mostly?) 60 fps with a 5850, and I have a stock speed core 2 duo 2.0 GHz e8400. What is your CPU, what OS, and have you updated your video card drivers lately? What framerates are you getting?

*edit* Well, when I first installed it like a week ago I thought I got 60 fps, and now I get like 24 fps. I don't know what causes that but it's weird. Maybe my 5850 is dying already. I'll see if a reboot fixes it. :(

*edit again* I didn't even reboot. Two notes: One, alt-tabbing out of the game seems a little weird, so you might not want to do it too much. Two, and I think this is the big one, check your CCC settings:

aa_settingsj4i.jpg

Even though it says to use application settings, make sure that your AA is changed to "Box". Mine was changed to Edge, and I guess it was trying to do high-quality AA which was killing the performance. Now I get 30-60 fps in most areas it seems, and I think it still looks decent to me:

mirrorsedge2010-06-182sj3r.jpg

If someone thinks there's anything wrong with that image, please let me know so I can try to fix my system. :p

*edit one last time* Yes, using anything but "box" definitely kills my performance. I do recommend changing the AA mode to adaptive multi-sample anti-aliasing, though. There are still jaggies ingame, I guess, but it seems to make rails look better at a distance.

*high five*

Yep I had the AA on edge detect too ! Thanks man

thatbox said:
I'm having a couple of problems with Burnout Paradise. I can't find a way to configure my Controller S in the game, I can't find a way to check the keybinds (I use a French AZERTY keyboard so things are a little weird), and I can't login the to EA ID I made in Mass Effect 2. I can login on EA's site, because it uses the email address as the login name, but Burnout doesn't allow the @ symbol in the username box. Anybody seen this before? I'm stumped :(

You can do one of two things: Create a new ID in-game and use the same exact information that you used to create your EA ID or just use the Master EA ID username to sign in.

thatbox

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
You can do one of two things: Create a new ID in-game and use the same exact information that you used to create your EA ID or just use the Master EA ID username to sign in.
Yeah, it won't let me do the first thing because the username is already taken (by me), and I can't do the second because it doesn't recognize me without using my email address to sign in, and it doesn't allow @ signs. Also, is it just me, or is there no way to exit the game without Alt-F4? I am regretting this purchase all around at this point :/

vocab

Kabuki Waq said:
guys I have 5870 and i cant seem to to run Mirrors edge maxed out 1920 x 1080 at a stable 60fps(with physx off). Is this normal?

Definitely not. I run maxed out with a 5850 @ 1080p with full AA and it caps out at 62 frames. Even when I turn around, it's still 62 frames. This game runs amazingly well for UT3 engine.

Remy

crimsonheadGCN said:

There's a third thing, and it may work better than the other two:

1) Go to https://profile.ea.com/myprofile.do. Sign in.
2) Look under "Personas" for the one labeled "(EA ID)". If so, use that as your user name to log in.
3) If there isn't one, click the orange "Add Persona" button. Select "EA ID" and punch in whatever name you want.
4) Now go back to Burnout and use the login that's your EA ID, and the password from your full-blown EA account.

This is how I got it to work, at least.

PatzCU

Mirror's Edge BOUGHT. Steam is on a role the past few weeks!

For anyone on the fence about Dead Space, it's probably in my top 5 games of this gen. Great mix of scares, suspense, action, exploration, and atmosphere. You would pay $10 to go through a haunted house, Dead Space is much better.

thatbox

Banned
Remy said:
There's a third thing, and it may work better than the other two:

1) Go to https://profile.ea.com/myprofile.do. Sign in.
2) Look under "Personas" for the one labeled "(EA ID)". If so, use that as your user name to log in.
3) If there isn't one, click the orange "Add Persona" button. Select "EA ID" and punch in whatever name you want.
4) Now go back to Burnout and use the login that's your EA ID, and the password from your full-blown EA account.

This is how I got it to work, at least.
I really only have the one from Mass Effect:

6ani6.png

I guess I could just create a brand new EA ID, but that just seems dumb. I'll probably do that, but I still have control issues :(

Edit: Used the "Add Persona" button to add my username. We'll see if that works.

Edit edit: Didn't work at all. What a goddamn clusterfuck of abysmal.

Edgeward

I just signed up for a new acct but then instead used the same e-mail as my ea acct, it then prompted me to sign in and viola, the ass backwards sign up process finally let me in.

dock

Random Steam question - is there any way to get music in mid-nineties PC games like Quake? I realise they were all using CD audio back then, but other platforms/emulators get around this with MP3s of the soundtrack. Playing these games without music really kills it for me.

edit: Ah, I see - there are some tricks to reenabling them, found here. Shame that Steam/Activision aren't making the effort to represent these PC games fully.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hmm, wondering what Awakenings will show up at. Be nice if they had a package too, my girlfriend would like to own both on Steam.

Shameful revelation: I'm not buying Mirror's Edge because I'm afraid of heights, and the bone-crunching death sound makes me unsettled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom