• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting together the pieces, I've gotten Dead Space running fine (60fps locked) like this:

In-Game:
Set v-sync to OFF

Set Mouse Sensitivity All the Way Up

Catalyst 10.5(ATI):
Set V-Sync to Application Controlled and un-check Triple Buffering

D3DOverrider:
Using the "+" icon navigate to the Dead Space.exe;
[STEAM - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dead space\Dead Space.exe"]
Set Application Detection Level to High, Force Triple Buffering & Vsync

Lastly I used X-Mouse Button Control to force the game to recognize mouse buttons 4&5 on my MX518. Again, you will have to navigate to the Dead Space.exe withe the "ADD" button:

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dreams-Visions said:
D3D Overrider. Interesting.

Do you guys recommend using that for most games instead of their built-in v-sync?
For the most part, yes. However, I would never use v-sync in game or triple-buffering through D3Doverrider in any competitive shooter online. The mouse feeling a little floaty gets too irritating for me. Some games it's really noticeable in.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dreams-Visions said:
D3D Overrider. Interesting.

Do you guys recommend using that for most games instead of their built-in v-sync?

I have D3DOverrider on at all times.

DogWelder

34Q2L.jpg

Gonna be $24. How can anyone refuse at that price?

hamchan

NIGHT- said:
Already own Dragon age and ME1 AND 2 on 360. Would you guys say its worth to double dip on PC with those deals?
Dragon Age and ME1 - definite yes.
ME2 - Can't say, 360 version was technically fine.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
NIGHT- said:
Already own Dragon age and ME1 AND 2 on 360. Would you guys say its worth to double dip on PC with those deals?
The games look even better on the PC plus you can mod ME2 to an extent. Plus K+M. It's a no brainer to me. I'll be picking up ME2 and DA:Awakening.

panda21

John said:
Yes to any game with a budget over $1mil released in the last four years

i'm not sure how big a budget that is, but theres actually a lot of big games that it doesnt work for, or claims to but is broken. Anything by DICE for a start...

not a great deal on DA:DLC but mass effect 1 should be stupid cheap :D

DogWelder

Yeah I can't really imagine how badly DA would control on consoles. Totally worth getting it again to play it the way it was meant to be played.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NIGHT- said:
If you liked Dragon Age, definitely. The 360 pales in comparison to the ease of control, and graphical improvement of the PC version. Plus, you can download mods to make Morrigan and Sten look less ugly, for example.

And if the collection is Origin/Awakenings, then 50$ for both isn't bad.

Firebrand

Hmm. €30, not super cheap but I might bite just to have it on Steam. Cheaper than local retail stores at least when shipping is added.

Is mass effect not on the UK steam games catalouge? can't find it (wanted to work out what 75% off would make it) *edit* found it, £12.99 currently so that would make it £3 in the sale, sweet jesus.

I am currently on my hard playthrough on the 360 with a friends copy but if it's onyl a few £ I would love to own it on pc just to play it in 60fps and msaa'd, if possible.

Volcynika

Castor Krieg said:
Can I buy expansion pack for DA:O while not having the original game on Steam (I have it as EA Store download)?

On the expansion's store page :p

Notice: This expansion pack requires the Steam version of Dragon Age™: Origins in order to play.

Lumine

Aww, was hoping for better prices on ME2. Saw it for much less in shops. Anyone know if the retail version works with Steam? :(

Volcynika

Lumine said:
Aww, was hoping for better prices on ME2. Saw it for much less in shops. Anyone know if the retail version works with Steam? :(

You can add a shortcut to the EXE on your games list. That's about it. It cannot be attached to your account that way.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So is exactly how good are the ingame items in the Deluxe Edition of ME2? Are they actually worth using? If they're useless I guess I'll go with the standard edition.

Trouble

Banned
Damn, $24 for ME2 is not bad for a game barely 6 months old. $5 for ME is a no brainer if you don't have the PC version (it's way better than the 360 version, in technical aspects).

For those picking up ME2 who didn't play ME or played it on the console.
http://www.masseffectsaves.com/ has all your save game needs so you don't have to go with the default choices.

notworksafe

Jangaroo said:
So is exactly how good are the ingame items in the Deluxe Edition of ME2? Are they actually worth using? If they're useless I guess I'll go with the standard edition.
Weapons are good, but the rest is meh.

Blizzard

Banned
Silly questions:

1. Is there any way to do the equivalent of ctrl-F to search in the Steam browser? That would be really nice. :lol Or I guess I could just use a different browser instead...

2. I heard a couple of people mention DLC for Mass Effect 2, but I don't see it for sale in the store. Can you get it on Steam, and if so how much does it cost? *edit* Someone feel free to correct me, but some searching seems to indicate that I would have to get it off the Bioware store, and it would be like $16 total USD?

3. Aside from the soundtrack and the couple of extra armor/weapon items, is the deluxe version a lot better in your random internet opinion?

4. For anyone who monitors retail, is $24 a price you're unlikely to see Mass Effect 2 for in the near future? I'm very unlikely to play Mass Effect 2 soon since I haven't even started Mass Effect 1, so I can afford to wait a while. (my apologies if asking about a $24 game offends anyone :p) *fake edit* It looks like the normal PC version is around $30 with shipping/tax from Amazon and Wal-mart so that's not a huge discount. I'll probably wait unless the deluxe edition is that much better or someone convinces me otherwise.

Mrbob

Odd question.

I have the ME2 CE on 360....if buy the PC regular edition, do I get to load all that extra content on the PC version since everything is linked to a Bioware account?

MNC

Gonna rant some more about €/$

ME2 price is €30 while USD is $24? :| That means...

€30 = $37
$24 = €19!

Yes, get it gifted, etc. I just like to be dumbstruck by the actual price calculations.

vocab

Mrbob said:
Odd question.

I have the ME2 CE on 360....if buy the PC regular edition, do I get to load all that extra content on the PC version since everything is linked to a Bioware account?

I think so.

notworksafe

Blizzard said:
Silly questions:

1. Is there any way to do the equivalent of ctrl-F to search in the Steam browser? That would be really nice. :lol Or I guess I could just use a different browser instead...

2. I heard a couple of people mention DLC for Mass Effect 2, but I don't see it for sale in the store. Can you get it on Steam, and if so how much does it cost?

3. Aside from the soundtrack and the couple of extra armor/weapon items, is the deluxe version a lot better in your random internet opinion?

4. For anyone who monitors retail, is $24 a price you're unlikely to see Mass Effect 2 for in the near future? I'm very unlikely to play Mass Effect 2 soon since I haven't even started Mass Effect 1, so I can afford to wait a while. (my apologies if asking about a $24 game offends anyone :p) *fake edit* It looks like the normal PC version is around $30 with shipping/tax from Amazon and Wal-mart so that's not a huge discount. I'll probably wait unless the deluxe edition is that much better or someone convinces me otherwise.

2. You buy it on the Bioware site. A bunch of stuff is free as well.
3. Not really. I got the normal edition and I'm quite pleased with it.

Mrbob said:
Odd question.

Should work just fine once you register your copy of ME2 on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom