• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
fresquito said:
Does anybody know if there's a restart button in Burnout Paradise?
There is, on the console version you press right on the d-pad, on the pc... no idea but whatever brings up the ingame mini menu.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:
There is, on the console version you press right on the d-pad, on the pc... no idea but whatever brings up the ingame mini menu.
Right on numpad (6) I think.

Diablohead said:

Im finding Burnouts menu system is pretty fucked on PC, took me like 5mins to figure out how to exit the damn game (correctly, not with alt-f4). had to use esc, then f1 a bunch of times, it was pretty damn stupid, or maybe its me whos pretty damn stupid :p .

Shaneus

What price is ME2 showing up for everyone? Here in Australia, I was expecting it to be fairly cheap, what with the 25% off, but it's still just shy of $50US. Are we getting ripped off?

Edit: Just noticed the prices on the previous page. Holy shit we're getting raped. If someone wants to gift it to me (not sure how we'd work out payments, but whatever) it'd be awesome :)

panda21

is the Dragon Age DLC worth getting?

I still never finished the original and i get the impression that it wasnt that well recieved?

Rufus

panda21 said:

I still never finished the original and i get the impression that it wasnt that well recieved?
Don't bother if you haven't finished the game. (Doesn't matter which specific DLC you're actually talking about. Sadly.)

panda21

Rufus said:
Don't bother if you haven't finished the game. (Doesn't matter which specific DLC you're actually talking about. Sadly.)

is it good though? presumably it wont be discounted again for a few months is why i'm asking

Morts

Just bought Mass Effect 1, my first Steam game. When I try to play nothing happens after the "Preparing to launch Mass Effect" notification disappears. I'm starting to remember why I haven't played a PC game since SimCity 3000.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Morts said:
Just bought Mass Effect 1, my first Steam game. When I try to play nothing happens after the "Preparing to launch Mass Effect" notification disappears. I'm starting to remember why I haven't played a PC game since SimCity 3000.
Yeah, that's great. But if you want help fixing the problem, you should post something a little more informative.

markot

Banned
epmode said:
Man, I never get tired of PC gaming condemnations after one thing doesn't work correctly.
Saying 'game doesnt work' is like saying.... well nothing, you cant help someone if they give you no info.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ikuu said:
I remember my SNES broke one day, not played a console since.
Crap, now I feel like a hypocrite. I haven't bothered with any Sony consoles ever since my Final Fantasy Tactics save file (and whatever else was on that card) was corrupted 11 years ago. :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Morts said:
Make sure you meet the requirements
Update your graphics drivers
Go through troubleshooting
Contact support

Morts

wmat said:
Make sure you meet the requirements
Update your graphics drivers
Go through troubleshooting
Contact support

Did all of this before I posted anything. Wasn't so much looking for a solution (though I wouldn't scoff at it) as I was expressing frustration.

And really, that's all the information I had to give, unless you're looking for my system specs. Steam says it's launching the game, and it never comes up. Nothing new ever shows up in task manager, no error message, no lockups.

Edit: Wasn't meant of a condemnation of PC gaming either, more like a condemnation of my luck and ignorance.

Narag

Morts said:
Did all of this before I posted anything. Wasn't so much looking for a solution (though I wouldn't scoff at it) as I was expressing frustration.

And really, that's all the information I had to give, unless you're looking for my system specs. Steam says it's launching the game, and it never comes up. Nothing new ever shows up in task manager, no error message, no lockups.

Edit: Wasn't meant of a condemnation of PC gaming either, more like a condemnation of my luck and ignorance.

Tried running it as admin?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Morts said:

Have you checked Windows' error logs?
Have you tried restarting Steam?
Have you tried restarting Windows?
Have you verified the game's files with the Steam functionality? (Rightclick game in Steam › Properties › "Verify integrity of game cache")

Morts said:

Did you do the following?

* WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 USERS: Launching “Mass Effect” from Steam requires the setting “Run as Administrator”. If the User Account Control feature of Windows Vista is enabled, launching “Mass Effect” from Steam will result in failure. For users with User Account Control enabled, launch Steam using the “Run as Administrator” option or launch from the windows shortcut.

vocab

Morts said:

OS? The steam page clearly says run the game in admin if you have Win7. I started it up, and it didn't work either, but I read the fine print before I complained about PC gaming :)

Morts

wmat said:
Have you checked Windows' error logs?
Have you tried restarting Steam?
Have you tried restarting Windows?
Have you verified the game's files with the Steam functionality? (Rightclick game in Steam › Properties › "Verify integrity of game cache")

Yes to all except checking Windows error logs. Not sure how to do that. And the only thing from Steam's support site that I haven't tried yet is disabling User Accounts (UAC) - the instructions don't match what I'm seeing on my machine (Windows 7, 64 bit). Tried running Steam as an Admin.

kamspy

panda21 said:

If you're talking about Awakenings I got it for $20 and didn't feel bad about it. Don't know if that's damning praise, but I'd endorse it at that price of you liked DA.

There isn't exactly an abundance of RPGs from that school of design that aren't completely bug ridden (Risen, Divinity 2 etc. ), so I think it's a good pick up. Even if it is a little mild in terms of ambition. I just appreciate the UI and the stability.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i just reinstalled steam and nothing seems to be working. The store doesn't load, same with the community.

Anyone ever had this problem before?

Edit: Now it's working for some reason. Talk about strange :lol

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
Did you do the following?
Strange, I played Mass Effect in Windows 7 just fine, without running Steam as admin. UAC is still enabled.
Morts said:
Yes to all except checking Windows error logs. Not sure how to do that.
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs (on the left). You might find useful stuff in the Application or System logs.

Morts

epmode said:
Strange, I played Mass Effect in Windows 7 just fine, without running Steam as admin. UAC is still enabled.Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs (on the left). You might find useful stuff in the Application or System logs.

Okay, I've got a bunch of errors logged.

Code:
Faulting application name: MassEffect.exe, version: 1.2.20608.0, time stamp: 0x4a55fea1
Faulting module name: MassEffect.exe, version: 1.2.20608.0, time stamp: 0x4a55fea1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x008b752d
Faulting process id: 0x16d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb101daffb5f2b
Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe
Report Id: edd8701f-7c10-11df-b4fd-a4badbf843ee

Currently re-downloading the game.

Twig

Banned
Schmattakopf said:
Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 1, and Burnout Paradise @ $5 USD is good.
BUT I ALREADY HAVE ALL THOSE

FUCK YOU EA FOR NOT HAVING GOOD SALES FOR GAMES THAT I WANT

BURN IN HELL DILL WEEDS

markot

Banned
I think hamchan means cause EA seems to be raising the prices on alot of games for Aussies, so the sales... arent really >.>

Mass Effect was 49 bucks in teh store a week or so ago, now its 69, and the sale makes it 42...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Morts said:
Okay, I've got a bunch of errors logged.

Code:
Faulting application name: MassEffect.exe, version: 1.2.20608.0, time stamp: 0x4a55fea1
Faulting module name: MassEffect.exe, version: 1.2.20608.0, time stamp: 0x4a55fea1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x008b752d
Faulting process id: 0x16d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb101daffb5f2b
Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe
Report Id: edd8701f-7c10-11df-b4fd-a4badbf843ee

Currently re-downloading the game.
After googling a bit, this looks like the UAC-related thing.

markot

Banned
You have to right click the masseffect.exe and run that as admin, you can change it so it always does, but running steam as admin doesnt fix that.

(Its called lazy/stupid devs >.<)

Morts

markot said:
You have to right click the masseffect.exe and run that as admin, you can change it so it always does, but running steam as admin doesnt fix that.

(Its called lazy/stupid devs >.<)

Argh, I was running the Steam client as admin. Thanks guys, and sorry I came off anti-PC gaming at first.

epmode

Morts said:
Argh, I was running the Steam client as admin. Thanks guys, and sorry I came off anti-PC gaming at first.
I can't speak for anyone else but I see PC gaming as 9823659726349 times easier to get into now than it was when I first started; Just about everything's automated, very little tweaking is usually required.

This is in contrast to the old DOS methods of playing with expanded memory managers, autexec.bat, restarting dozens of times, praying the game would even launch, let alone play without glitches.

But yeah, that UAC issue sucks and it's rough for people who aren't used to checking this stuff. The Steam forums are great for things like this too.

By the way, did it work?

Morts

epmode said:
By the way, did it work?

Won't know until tomorrow since I have to re-download (I deleted it before I read the markot's solution). But you're right, if it does work, this little ordeal was a lot easier than what I remember about trying to game in DOS.

Blizzard

Banned
Morts said:
Won't know until tomorrow since I have to re-download (I deleted it before I read the markot's solution). But you're right, if it does work, this little ordeal was a lot easier than what I remember about trying to game in DOS.
Yeah, things have come a long way. I remember similar kinds of things in installing/using Linux. I guess I used to take it for granted that I would be hacking like crazy just to get anything to work. :lol

epmode said:
I can't speak for anyone else but I see PC gaming as 9823659726349 times easier to get into now than it was when I first started; Just about everything's automated, very little tweaking is usually required.

This is in contrast to the old DOS methods of playing with expanded memory managers, autexec.bat, restarting dozens of times, praying the game would even launch, let alone play without glitches.

Ultima 7

I'm currently experiencing a super annoying problem with Dead Space and the Steam Overlay. Sometimes the cursor from the Steam Overlay stays on screen after I close the overlay. It's only in Dead Space, but there's no way to get rid of it aside from restarting the game. Any ideas?

epmode

Turn off of the overlay? I don't have that particular issue with Dead Space but I've had other bizarre crashes that I couldn't fix without disabling the overlay (Fallout 3's launcher, for example).
I <3 Memes said:
Dont forget about setting jumpers. Those were a lot of fun.
And IRQs! Looking at the XP or Win 7 IRQ auto-allocation table brings a tear to my eye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom