• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Buttonbasher said:
I'm currently experiencing a super annoying problem with Dead Space and the Steam Overlay. Sometimes the cursor from the Steam Overlay stays on screen after I close the overlay. It's only in Dead Space, but there's no way to get rid of it aside from restarting the game. Any ideas?
Remember that in Properties for each game you can turn off the Ingame overlay specifically for that game. It made me really happy when they added that because Punkbuster still counts it as a hack in Call of Duty 4.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
Remember that in Properties for each game you can turn off the Ingame overlay specifically for that game.
MIND BLOWN. When was that added?

OH MAN I'M USING IT RIGHT NOW OH GOD

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Remember that in Properties for each game you can turn off the Ingame overlay specifically for that game. It made me really happy when they added that because Punkbuster still counts it as a hack in Call of Duty 4.
That's really cool, thanks.

The M.O.B

Burnout Paradise Question: PLZ HELPZ

The races are ridiculous, I have no clue what path to take. Usually I follow the CPU's but once I pass them I've no clue where to go, I mean I try to keep heading towards the goal but it seams like I make one bad turn and it ends up being a long winding road that goes nowhere. Is there some sort of setting to add a "recommend path" highlight or something because I have won about 3 of of 10 races. I'm guessing the best way is to memorize the city, but its too friggin big :(

PS. Any Awesome MODS for this game??

vocab

zoku88 said:
Would people say, for someone who enjoyed ME, that ME2 for 24 bucks is good?

Yes it's a good game. Combat is improved. Not a whole lot of RPG elements, but the choices that carry over from ME1 makes up for it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The M.O.B said:

The races are ridiculous, I have no clue what path to take. Usually I follow the CPU's but once I pass them I've no clue where to go, I mean I try to keep heading towards the goal but it seams like I make one bad turn and it ends up being a long winding road that goes nowhere. Is there some sort of setting to add a "recommend path" highlight or something because I have won about 3 of of 10 races. I'm guessing the best way is to memorize the city, but its too friggin big :(

I just pause and check the map every now and then :(

The M.O.B said:

well if you look at the top center it usually tells you which direction you should take. (even if you go a different path) when you get close to a 2/4 way.

vocab

The M.O.B said:

This seems like a huge problem for new players. The best advice id say is keep going straight, and worrying about turning towards the end. Don't ever take an unneeded corner. You'll get used to it after a while.

Trouble

Banned
The M.O.B said:

When you get close to an intersection where the game thinks you should turn, the street sign will flash up top on the right or left side of your current street, and IIRC your turn signal will blink (I might be thinking about another game). This won't account for shortcuts, so not always the fastest way, but a safe bet if you don't know the area yet.

Morts

Morts said:
Won't know until tomorrow since I have to re-download (I deleted it before I read the markot's solution). But you're right, if it does work, this little ordeal was a lot easier than what I remember about trying to game in DOS.

Alright, running MassEffect.exe as admin didn't work, but running in Compatibility Mode seems to work okay...

hamchan

What's a good shortcut key to bring up the steam overlay?

the shift and tab buttons are used quite often in games and I need a good alternative.

Wallach

hamchan said:

the shift and tab buttons are used quite often in games and I need a good alternative.

Personally something like End or Home (the latter may interfere with GFWL stuff). It's not a button I need to hit "on-demand" so I keep it out of the way.

Boonoo

Morts said:
Won't know until tomorrow since I have to re-download (I deleted it before I read the markot's solution). But you're right, if it does work, this little ordeal was a lot easier than what I remember about trying to game in DOS.

One thing to note about steam is that you almost shouldn't ever have to redownload a whole game. One of the first things you should do when having problems is right click on the game in your library and go to properties--local files--verify integrity of game cache. If anything is missing your broken it will download that specific file. Saves you a lot of time.

And I'll second the steam forum recommendations. They're generally an absolutely vile place (the tf2 forum especially), but for quick fixes and whatnot they get the job done.

Why not use one of the F buttons, or maybe SHIFT and ` (tilde, to the left of 1)

Wallach

OneMoreQuestion said:
I'm a bit broke now so I grabbed the first one only, I'll wait for another sale. But the price discrepancy is huge though :lol

Yeah, it completely blows. I have lost count of how many times I've had to gift stuff to AUS GAFers because of that shit.

About the Dragon Age Deal. Does nobody seen this here:
steamMessage_english.jpg

Reno7728

I know this sounds weird, but how much of an expansion is Awakening

E.g how worth is it fro me to buy it tomorrow without even having played Dragon Age (which i will be buying tomorrow)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I bought ME1, doubledipping (already own on 360).

Some questions:
Is the DLC part of the download? If not, where do I get it and how? Is there any DLC not available for PC that is available for 360?

The Bring Down the Sky is the only DLC released for the first Mass Effect and you can download it for free here. You'll find your CD key in the links section on the Mass Effect page in your library.

Wallach

archnemesis said:
The Bring Down the Sky is the only DLC released for the first Mass Effect and you can download it for free here. To find your CD key, simply right-click on the game in your "My Games" tab and select "View Game CD Key".

There were two - the second is Pinnacle Station.

Rubezh

archnemesis said:
The Bring Down the Sky is the only DLC released for the first Mass Effect and you can download it for free here. To find your CD key, simply right-click on the game in your "My Games" tab and select "View Game CD Key".

There's also Pinnacle Station.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Reno7728 said:
I know this sounds weird, but how much of an expansion is Awakening

E.g how worth is it fro me to buy it tomorrow without even having played Dragon Age (which i will be buying tomorrow)

It's not like, amazing. Def not as great as the original content. But I thought it was good fun. I only paid like, half price when I got it and though that was a good deal. I don't think I'd ever buy it at full.

But considering the hours you get, and all the new content. If you really enjoy Dragon Age, you will want it as it's just that. More Dragon Age. Oh god, I've probably put over 100 hours into that game and now I wanna play it again. Fuck me.

Reno7728

EvaPlusMinus said:
It's not like, amazing. Def not as great as the original content. But I thought it was good fun. I only paid like, half price when I got it and though that was a good deal. I don't think I'd ever buy it at full.

But considering the hours you get, and all the new content. If you really enjoy Dragon Age, you will want it as it's just that. More Dragon Age. Oh god, I've probably put over 100 hours into that game and now I wanna play it again. Fuck me.

Ok, i'll probably wait to get the expansion at like , the Christmas sale, unless i absolutely love DA to ridiculous levels, or there is an earlier good deal, is it tied to steam, or would I be able to buy a disk copy?

markot

Banned
Reno7728 said:
Ok, i'll probably wait to get the expansion at like , the Christmas sale, unless i absolutely love DA to ridiculous levels, or there is an earlier good deal, is it tied to steam, or would I be able to buy a disk copy?
Youll need to buy the Steam xpac if you own the Steam original.

Stahsky

You should be fine. They toss save files in your Documents so it'll find that stuff regardless of where you purchase it.

I'm somewhat biased, as I fucking loved DA like no other, so I don't want to seem pushy. I'd purchase it, just not at full price. But there is plenty of content in DA:O anyway, so if you're patient, then there's no problem.

markot said:
Youll need to buy the Steam xpac if you own the Steam original.

Whaaat? For real? Then what's the flippin' point of all this My document shit they throw around? Weird stuff.

markot

Banned
Notice: This expansion pack requires the Steam version of Dragon Age™: Origins in order to play.

Like that for alot of expansions.

Expansion packs need the original files, so unless it is stand alone, if you have the original game on steam, youll need to get the xpac there too!

Stahsky

Ahh shit, forgot Steam did that weird thing with files. Hmm, well I lucked out then. Bought DA:O at the store, then picked up DA:A randomly from the EA store on sale instead of getting it off Steam like i wanted to. I shall make a note of this.

John

What... on... earth? Mirror's Edge refuses to start. It just gets an error report whenever I try to launch it.

I didn't think this kind of shit happened with Steam games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:lol Dragon Age's standard price (€30) on pretty much every other DD service is cheaper than the 33% off offer on Steam (€38).

epmode

John said:
What... on... earth? Mirror's Edge refuses to start. It just gets an error report whenever I try to launch it.

I didn't think this kind of shit happened with Steam games.
Steam usually has nothing to do with it. Most games on the service are identical to retail, minus the CD check.

Plywood said:
I bought ME1, doubledipping (already own on 360).

Some questions:
Is the DLC part of the download? If not, where do I get it and how? Is there any DLC not available for PC that is available for 360?
Mirror's Edge never got any DLC to my understanding. A real kick in the balls given that it was a full price belated release. Oh mass effect... all these fucken shorthands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom