• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Yeah, the time trial pack is AWESOME. Only problem is that it just doesn't work with the Steam version and DICE didn't have the funding to go back and patch it (according to them).

I double-dipped for the retail version and couldn't be happier with it.

edit: (If you do wind up buying the retail version, make sure that you create a different EA ID than the one you use for the Steam version. Crazy shit happens if you don't)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
archnemesis said:
The Bring Down the Sky is the only DLC released for the first Mass Effect and you can download it for free here. You'll find your CD key in the links section on the Mass Effect page in your library.
Thank you.
markot said:
Dont think so.
Damn, well where can I get Pinnacle Station? I don't see it at that page.

Blizzard

Banned

John

Darklord said:
What kind of error?
ev9t2f.jpg

This pops up twice.

Firebrand

Bring Down the Sky was pretty nice I thought, esp considered it was free. Sure a lot better than most sidequests in ME1. Also it had one of the tougher decisions to make in ME1 I thought, on par with
the main game ending.

John said:
Right, sorry.

XP Pro 32
GTX 260
Core2Quad Q9400@ 2.66
4GB Patriot RAM
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo

PhysX installed ? Im assuming it would be as Steam should have installed it when you first run it. Other than that, GPU drivers upto date ? DirectX too ?

Blizzard

Banned
By the way John, doing some brief searching turns up the idea to first make sure your video card and sound card (!) drivers are updated.

Then, check this thread and maybe try some of the steps in order: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788621

Reno7728 said:
Blizzard where should I extract that custom map pack to for the steam version of ME?
Just unzip it to some directory, and then look at the readme.txt it generates. There should be an easy-to-use Installer.bat file that will give you a menu about activating/disabling the custom maps, or you can use the readme.txt for manual instructions if you don't trust the batch file or it doesn't work.

The key thing to note is that they didn't really intend people to have the map editor, so custom maps just override existing maps. You shouldn't have to overwrite anything in the Steam install directory, but as long as you have a custom map installed (in Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge etc.), it will override one or more existing maps/time trials in the Mirror's Edge game.

Blizzard

Banned
Reno7728 said:
Thanks Blizzard i managed to get it working, its awesome :D
I link that one because it's by far the most polished custom map/pack people have made to my knowledge, AND it comes with a nice installer. If you like it, definitely give your feedback so maybe more people will notice and it might get back around to the creator. :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Plywood said:
Wow, is it really that bad?
Should've seen the Bioware forums the week it came out. :lol People were demanding refunds and two Bioware community managers had to come out and apologize for it.

Alucrid

Banned
Lyphen said:
Should've seen the Bioware forums the week it came out. :lol People were demanding refunds and two Bioware community managers had to come out and apologize for it.

That was a really overblown reaction. Sure, it sucked and the wait for it was too long, but still. Ah well, classic gaming community reaction. :lol

Volcynika

Dragon Age: Origins $26.79
Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe $33.49
Dragon Age: Origins Awakening $29.99
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins + Awakening) $47.99
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakening) $53.99

Benedict

Volcynika said:
Dragon Age: Origins $26.79
Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe $33.49
Dragon Age: Origins Awakening $29.99
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins + Awakening) $47.99
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakening) $53.99

For Europeans:

Dragon Age: Origins 33.49€ ($41.35)
Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe 36.84€ ($45,49)
Dragon Age: Origins Awakening 22.49€ ($27.77)
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins + Awakening) 47.99€ ($59.25)
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakening) 50.99€ ($62.96)

Or I can get Origins for €14.95 and Awakenings for €15.95 on DVD-Roms at Zavvi.... Hmmmm...

Rekubot

Dragon Age: Origins + Awakening for £24... I've managed to resist all the other offers this week but I really want to play this. Yay or nay?

Benedict said:
For Europeans:

Or I can get Origins for €14.95 and Awakenings for €15.95 on DVD-Roms at Zavvi.... Hmmmm...
Yeah for the most part steam doesn't have competitive pricing here. I don't buy from steam anymore really, unless it's a christmas sale or something. With more and more games being steamworks I can have the benefits of steam and the low prices of channel island game shops :D .

Salacious Crumb

Benedict said:
For Europeans:

For Australians:

Dragon Age: Origins $46.89 US
Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe $53.59 US
Dragon Age: Origins Awakening $29.99 US
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins + Awakening) $65.99 US
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakening) $71.99 US

Such crap, I can get Orgins+Awakening for something like $45 AU from Zavvi.

epmode

Alucrid said:
That was a really overblown reaction. Sure, it sucked and the wait for it was too long, but still. Ah well, classic gaming community reaction. :lol
Yeah, those ungrateful bastards should have been happy that Bioware (the same company responsible for Throne of Bhaal, possibly the best expansion ever) gave them a way to spend even more money on a useless, boring expansion that completely ignored what everyone liked about Mass Effect in the first place.

Disappointing pricing today...ah well. Grabbed both ME1 & 2 yesterday for about $28, that's good enough for me. :D

Hopefully there will be better pricing for Dragon Age during the holiday sale...

Mrbob

I wonder how ME2 ending up getting a better sale considering Dragon Age was out first. Sucks we had to wait all week for a Dragon Age sale and it is the worst day for sales this week. The combo package isn't bad, but those of us who already own Dragon Age the sale on Awakenings is disappointing. Could have thrown current owners a bone and gave us 40 percent off Awakenings too.

Well I double dipped on ME2 yesterday, starting it again on PC and it is so good. I guess I'll wait for a bigger Awakenings price drop. I haven't finished Dragon Age yet anyway. Going for my second play through of ME2 (now on pc) and I'll probably hit Dragon Age after!

MysticX

Well, it sux being a Yuropien.

I was excited to buy ME2 and DA, but that´s a no-go, still way to expensive in Yuroland.

I wound up buying this week:

Crysis + Crysis Warhead + Crysis Wars Pack

Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box

Need For Speed Undercover

Mirror´s Edge

Was dissappointed with BC2, ME2 and DA percentage discount, but oh well, it will come again later.

And no C&C package made me not buy a single game.

Dead Space I already own.

And my verdict?

Crysis: Such a beautiful game, yet, for me, it´s so messed up, I decided to cheat and I am literally running through the game just to get it over with. I mean it´s like I have to shot the same fucking guy a hundred times so he actually DIES!. If they would have used a little more time, it would have been one of the greatest games of all time!
Burnout RULEZ! NFS: Haven´t played much yet. Mirror´s Edge is kinda cool, was so cheap so why not, have to dig in a little more time for that one.

But, the best purchase I made was 2 weekends ago when Oblivion was finally on discount :lol .

Overall, a fine discount week, but could have made much more out of it, maybe they are trying to map where our limits are.

Can´t wait for christmas deals though.

Blizzard

Banned
MysticX said:
Crysis: Such a beautiful game, yet, for me, it´s so messed up, I decided to cheat and I am literally running through the game just to get it over with. I mean it´s like I have to shot the same fucking guy a hundred times so he actually DIES!. If they would have used a little more time, it would have been one of the greatest games of all time!
Burnout RULEZ! NFS: Haven´t played much yet. Mirror´s Edge is kinda cool, was so cheap so why not, have to dig in a little more time for that one.
I think I had problems with Crysis too. Some things that will help are playing the game on a lower difficulty, using the strength power (I think that's the one) to make your gun more accurate, using non-silenced weapons since they will be more powerful/more accurate (maybe?), and presumably shooting for people's heads.

If you have any issues with Mirror's Edge make sure you play the tutorial, and then ask someone who's played it (like me). I'll be glad to try to help at least, depending on what kind of gameplay you enjoy. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MysticX said:
And no C&C package made me not buy a single game.

Same. I would have tried either C&C3 or Red Alert 3 (or both) if there was a pack that was priced cheap. What is it with big publishers like EA and Activision (and Ubisoft to an extent) and their inability to discount games by a large percentage?

MysticX said:

What? Crysis is incredible in both gameplay and visuals. It gets less fun against the aliens, but vs the human enemies the game is amazing. I have beaten it like 4 times now and twice on Delta difficulty. The game is all about dynamically switching your suit powers and using the environment to your advantage. If you are having problems with doing damage, you probably have the silencer on. Silencers reduce damage by quite a bit, but if you pull of a head shot it will still be a one-hit kill. Also, going into strength mode will greatly increase the damage your bullets do. No silencer + strength mode = quickly dead humans.

MysticX

Blizzard said:
If you have any issues with Mirror's Edge make sure you play the tutorial, and then ask someone who's played it (like me). I'll be glad to try to help at least, depending on what kind of gameplay you enjoy. :)

Thus far I haven´t had any issues with Mirror´s Edge, haven´t finished the tutorial yet though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Whoever recommended mirrors edge is a saint, awesome awesome game, already completed :D

Burnout however does not work and I will not buy another game from the developer because of it. Its not just me, the steam forums are littered with the same gamebreaking errors and this far after release there is little to no hope of a patch fixing it, the best i can hope for is maybe a refund :(

MysticX

Mr Cola said:
Whoever recommended mirrors edge is a saint, awesome awesome game, already completed :D

Burnout however does not work and I will not buy another game from the developer because of it. Its not just me, the steam forums are littered with the same gamebreaking errors and this far after release there is little to no hope of a patch fixing it, the best i can hope for is maybe a refund :(

What? It runs like a charm for me, with everything maxed and SSAA or SAAA on and all and not had a single problem.

On the other hands, Crysis has some save issues for me. It´s like if I load a game which is not a checkpoint, then it simply won´t load, I checked event viewer and it reported some DX errors or some shit like that, but not when I load checkpoint saves.

BTW, what is your rig compiled off?

Mine:
Phenom II X4 965BE
6GB RAM
WDC Green
ATI 5770 1GB
Cooler Master V8 cooler.

MysticX said:
Crysis: Such a beautiful game, yet, for me, it´s so messed up, I decided to cheat and I am literally running through the game just to get it over with. I mean it´s like I have to shot the same fucking guy a hundred times so he actually DIES!.

I've seen this complaint many times before and it's because you are using the silencer. It only takes 1 shot to kill with the silencer but it has to be a solid headshot. And if the soldiers are aware of you it can sometimes take several headshots.

If you are going to use the silencer you have to use cloak and really take your time. If there is a group of enemies you have to pick them off 1 by 1 starting with the one furthest in the back where his buddies can't see him die.

It's more fun and more effective to just cloak and uncloak and kill with an un-silenced weapon if you want to play a stealth type of game.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
MysticX said:
What? It runs like a charm for me, with everything maxed and SSAA or SAAA on and all and not had a single problem.

On the other hands, Crysis has some save issues for me. It´s like if I load a game which is not a checkpoint, then it simply won´t load, I checked event viewer and it reported some DX errors or some shit like that, but not when I load checkpoint saves.

BTW, what is your rig compiled off?

Mine:
Phenom II X4 965BE
6GB RAM
WDC Green
ATI 5770 1GB
Cooler Master V8 cooler.
Phenom 2 x4 p55
hd4890
4 gigs of ram

It can handle it fine, it seems like a windows 7 64bit issue if the forums are anything to go by. Genuinely very dissapointed it wont work without the crash :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
:lol

Looks like EA bumps the AUS price up by $20US for the sale. The fuck is with that? Dragon age for $70 but now discounted to $46, I'm pretty sure it was $49.99 last night and around $30 with the discount.

You fucking pricks.

Salacious Crumb

If there are any UK gaffers out there willing to gift me the Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakenings pack (£29.99) and I pay you back with paypal I'll be a very happy man.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Salacious Crumb said:
If there are any UK gaffers out there willing to gift me the Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakenings pack (£29.99) and I pay you back with paypal I'll be a very happy man.

Now that's a better price and now i'm tempted as well. If there's any UK gaffers around.

Kritz

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
For Australians:

Dragon Age: Origins $46.89 US
Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe $53.59 US
Dragon Age: Origins Awakening $29.99 US
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins + Awakening) $65.99 US
Dragon Age: Collections (Origins Digital Deluxe + Awakening) $71.99 US

Such crap, I can get Orgins+Awakening for something like $45 AU from Zavvi.

:lol

And here I was going to buy Awakening. Go fuck yourself, EA.

Seanbob11

Salacious Crumb said:

I'll do it if you're still in need. PM me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom