• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Weenerz said:
Is there a way to make ME look better? I have everything set to max and the textures are kinda meh.

try googling it, you may have edit an ini file. the game looked like shit when i first installed it.

Kritz

Banned
PandaPandaPanda said:
people feel they are entitled to things on the internet

I don't think I have a sense of entitlement as much as a sense of monetary value over a digitally distributed item that is in no way different from the item that anyone else on the planet gets. And it's very unfortunate that regardless of the content not having a bit difference, the price is dicked up arbitrarily simply because it can be.

And they murdered my kitten.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
try googling it, you may have edit an ini file. the game looked like shit when i first installed it.
It looked like shit because you have to restart the gaming after upping the texture setting lol. The .ini tweak doesn't really seem to do much.

Just finished installing Mass Effect and when I go to load it up it says 'Failed to contact key server'. Assuming the easiest solution is to just wait a bit and let it correct itself?

Sorry if it's been mentioned, going to go back a few pages and check but I don't like using the net under Boot Camp. :lol

Kerrinck

Rekubot said:
Argh, can't decide if I want the deluxe edition of DA or the normal edition. What's the difference between the two?
The best DLC, which is Stone prisoner, is available in both versions. Only big difference is the addition of Warden Keep, which I do not think is worth the price difference.

Fredescu

Stallion Free said:
Did they like brutally kill a kitten in front of you or something?
What a bizarre thing to say. Like a couple of words like that could be considered an overreaction to, well, anything.

Rekubot

Kerrinck said:
The best DLC, which is Stone prisoner, is available in both versions. Only big difference is the addition of Warden Keep, which I do not think is worth the price difference.
Thanks. I'll stick with the normal version I think.

liltony822

Neo Member
VGChampion said:
Just finished installing Mass Effect and when I go to load it up it says 'Failed to contact key server'. Assuming the easiest solution is to just wait a bit and let it correct itself?

Sorry if it's been mentioned, going to go back a few pages and check but I don't like using the net under Boot Camp. :lol
Yea, I got the same thing. I assume they ran out of keys? How long does it usually take for them to put up more keys?

Reluctant-Hero said:
So I bought the DA:O digital deluxe version + Awakenings pack from Steam. How the heck do I redeem all the bonus DLC I get with the deluxe version?

They'll provide you several keys, you register one or two of those keys on Bioware's Social website. It's a little complicated, but hopefully won't bother you too much.

Hasphat6462 said:
They'll provide you several keys, you register one or two of those keys on Bioware's Social website. It's a little complicated, but hopefully won't bother you too much.

Thanks. Also, checked the Steam Forum and they had a how-to topic as well.

DogWelder

Nabs said:
no stall, i restarted it a bunch. it honestly scared me.
It just has low res textures in a lot of places unfortunately. If I recall, the Xbox version actually had better textures (after they loaded, lolz).

butts

I was hoping Dragon Age Origins would only be $20 but I can't complain, I've been wanting to play it for a while. Couldn't pass up this sale. 15 gig download though, holy shit.

John

So I tried playing Dead Space, and there's so much god damned aliasing it hurts (I'm trying to do a screenshot-heavy run and all the shots'll be ruined). It probably has something to do with the option in the menu being "Anti Aliasing - Off / On."

Tried enhancing the aa and turning on occlusion with nHancer, but that usually just makes it worse. ? I can't find the proper .ini file, as the only one in the menu called "Configuration Settings" just has error messages listed in ten different languages.

How do you make this game pretty?

Bisonian

Kritz said:
I don't think I have a sense of entitlement as much as a sense of monetary value over a digitally distributed item that is in no way different from the item that anyone else on the planet gets. And it's very unfortunate that regardless of the content not having a bit difference, the price is dicked up arbitrarily simply because it can be.

And they murdered my kitten.

Pretty sure a $10 discount for not getting a case, a burned DVD with a label, and a leaflet advertising DA2 is an overly fair deal. Sounds like typical 'Steam Entitlement' to me, although admittedly the kitten may be worth more to you.

epmode

John said:
So I tried playing Dead Space, and there's so much god damned aliasing it hurts (I'm trying to do a screenshot-heavy run and all the shots'll be ruined). It probably has something to do with the option in the menu being "Anti Aliasing - Off / On."

Tried enhancing the aa and turning on occlusion with nHancer, but that usually just makes it worse. ? I can't find the proper .ini file, as the only one in the menu called "Configuration Settings" just has error messages listed in ten different languages.

How do you make this game pretty?
I don't think I'll ever understand the complaints about jaggies. I see em but it just doesn't bother me. It probably has something to do with having grown up with 3D games running at 320x240.

In any case, I don't think you can force different AA levels in Dead Space. Just the in-game ON or OFF. And judging from a Google search, it's not a very good implementation.
AA in Dead Space will not work by enabling it in the profiles, since the game only uses a Software-based Edge-Smooth Anti-Aliasing, which is therefore not compatible with traditional Ant-Aliasing methods.

5il3nc3r

So i just bought Dragon Age. Instead of downloading 15 gigs, i was thinking of just copying the installation folder from my friend's laptop. Would this work?

Kerrinck

5il3nc3r said:
So i just bought Dragon Age. Instead of downloading 15 gigs, i was thinking of just copying the installation folder from my friend's laptop. Would this work?

Probably since I always simply copy/paste the steamapps folder when I want to back up my steam games after a reformat.

garath

I'm sad I missed Mass Effect 2. I was moving on Saturday and had no opportunity to even remember it was Mass Effect day :(

Hopefully this is just a sign of future weekend deals to come.

So with Counter-Strike: Source coming to the Mac this week (does anybody know what day?) will there be the updates from the beta and will there be a sale as I need to buy it on my new account?

Kamaki

Weenerz said:
Is there a way to make ME look better? I have everything set to max and the textures are kinda meh.
Might want to check the .ini, my game wasn't saving the changes at all and I had to edit it myself of the Hi-res textures. Still not amazing textures though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ashbash159 said:
So with Counter-Strike: Source coming to the Mac this week (does anybody know what day?) will there be the updates from the beta and will there be a sale as I need to buy it on my new account?
Mac updates are usually on Wednesday afternoons (~12:00 P.M. PDT) and there will probably be a sale on it.

Kamaki said:
Might want to check the .ini, my game wasn't saving the changes at all and I had to edit it myself of the Hi-res textures. Still not amazing textures though.

The environment textures aren't always that spectacular, either are the clothing textures but the characters' face textures are usually very good (Garrus is an exception due to a bug they will never fix). I simply had to relaunch the game myself after changing the texture setting to Ultra High. The difference is night and day though, so you shouldn't have any problem noticing the improvement if the setting is correct.

ArjanN

ashbash159 said:

I kind of assumed the Mac release would be the end of the CSS Beta.

If I buy the regular edition of Dragon Age, can I buy all the DLC on the deluxe edition later on down the road? Is this all done in game or from Biowares site?

Bisonian

DanDeschain said:
If I buy the regular edition of Dragon Age, can I buy all the DLC on the deluxe edition later on down the road? Is this all done in game or from Biowares site?

You can buy Warden's Keep, I'm pretty sure you cannot buy the 3 bonus pieces of equipment. Honestly the equipment is a minor concern anyway.

There is an in-game storefront for buying DLC but you have to add "Bioware Points" on their community website.

5il3nc3r said:
Yeah, I would think if you copy the data over and then verify the installation, it would download anything missed.

John

epmode said:
I don't think I'll ever understand the complaints about jaggies. I see em but it just doesn't bother me. It probably has something to do with having grown up with 3D games running at 320x240.

In any case, I don't think you can force different AA levels in Dead Space. Just the in-game ON or OFF. And judging from a Google search, it's not a very good implementation.
Hey, so did I. I wouldn't even mind, but I'm trying to get some good screenshots out of this.

If I can find the .ini I'll run it in a higher resolution than my monitor and take it from there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Big Rig said:
Where the hell is midweek madness! I expect a sale every widweek. :lol

It's not midweek yet! Then again, they have been starting midweek specials on Monday / Tuesday quite a bit recently. They should just call it the workweek special or something.

poweld

So I've bought Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, registered them both on EA and Bioware, but I can't seem to get access to the Blood Dragon Armor (or whatever it was called) in ME2.

Does anybody know how to activate or get this?

poweld said:
So I've bought Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, registered them both on EA and Bioware, but I can't seem to get access to the Blood Dragon Armor (or whatever it was called) in ME2.

should appear when you log in your EA ID in-game. you have to activate your DLC within the game (at startup) to have it show in your inventory when you load the game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
poweld said:

You have to redeem the BDA code at the BioWare Social site and then you have to download the ME2 BDA file over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom