• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Zozobra said:
Are there any good graphical mods for the original Deus Ex? I'd like to play it, but I'd be more inclined to do so if I could make it look a bit less dated.
Check the previous page for info on the DX10 version. I think that's what I used and it works pretty well. It won't look GREAT but it didn't bother me.

yeah, I might try to finally finish Invisible War this time. In the past I tried twice on PC, once on the Xbox. But like they say: fool me three times, shame on you, fool me four times, shame on me.

TheYanger

Blizzard said:
Check the previous page for info on the DX10 version. I think that's what I used and it works pretty well. It won't look GREAT but it didn't bother me.

Note this won't actually improve the graphics beyond making it look in Vista/7 like it used to back when it was released. There ARE mods to improve texture resolution and crap but seriously, it's a 10 year old game. Any 'mods' you download are some amateur team trying to remake what was great a decade ago on top of lower poly models, it just looks off. Simply appreciate that it's an old game and doesn't look fantastic.

epmode

I don't think it's a bad game by any means. It's just no Deus Ex.

It's one of the earliest victims of the PC > console "streamlining" that's become so popular. You know, removing some of the most interesting features from earlier games in the name of drawing in new mouthbreathers (not to mention having to account for the no-RAM, mouseless consoles).

Max

I am not Max
Stallion Free said:
I'm giving up cereal for a week, PM me with your email to get a free copy of Deus Ex gifted from me. First 2 only. Also, shame on you for not owning it already.
Thanks so much, you rule!

Diablohead said:
gtx 280 as recc? hm one of the few games released where my gtx 260 seems to be starting to age :p

no, it will be fine. if anything overclock it to get more juice out of it. and a260 (216 core) is pretty much the same as a 4870.

man this Deus Ex game sure does looks good, I remember when PC Gamer was jizzing all over this game with there previews and reviews, this was the preglory days of internets game sites. Fuck I need to fire it up and play some.

I just bought the Deus Ex collection, never played them but can certainly remember the impact the first game had on the gaming scene back in 2000.

Cannot wait to play them.

nexen

I've always felt that Deus Ex was severely overrated and Deus Ex 2 was underrated. Both are very good games and $2.50 is an excellent price even when you consider how old they are.

Toby

Well, I already owned it, but it looks like I am going to begin my first playthrough of Deus Ex. I fully expect to love the shit out of it, just have to wait for it to download.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nexen said:
I've always felt that Deus Ex was severely overrated and Deus Ex 2 was underrated. Both are very good games and $2.50 is an excellent price even when you consider how old they are.

Anyone that says IW is not a steaming pile of crap is severely overrating it. DX1 on the other hand tends to be slightly overrated, but I still adore it to death.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Link me your steam account. I'll try and gift it, pray to the Gods I have enough in my account.
Really? That's really cool of you, dude. I wasn't fishing for a gift or anything.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/FoliorumViridum/

Next time you want something on sale, say £5 or less, let me know. Providing my poor student account has the funds I'll happily repay the favour. Or I can Paypal you the money on Saturday.

nexen

thetrin said:
Anyone that says IW is not a steaming pile of crap is severely overrating it. DX1 on the other hand tends to be slightly overrated, but I still adore it to death.
Hyperbole! IW is most definitely not a steaming pile of crap.
I can understand why people who love DX1 were disappointed with DX2 but come on. IW is a well polished game (for the time) with a decent story and some fun gameplay. The developers just seemed to turn very left when everyone really wanted them to go right.

TheYanger

nexen said:
Hyperbole! IW is most definitely not a steaming pile of crap.
I can understand why people who love DX1 were disappointed with DX2 but come on. IW is a well polished game (for the time) with a decent story and some fun gameplay. The developers just seemed to turn very left when everyone really wanted them to go right.

For 2.50 it's certainly priced right. IT's not like it's not playable. But yeah it sucks.

Wag

I still have a brand new retail copy of IW, unopened. Maybe it will become a collector's item one day...

Blizzard

Banned
I just kinda realized that I basically had no desire to get Invisible War (I own and have played part of the original Deus Ex)...but I have no desire because the NeoGAF hivemind is remotely controlling me. And that's when I realized that it was UNDER THREE DOLLARS and decided to get it anyway. :lol

Even if it's horrible, I still thought the original SiN game was kinda fun/silly, so maybe this at least won't be worse than that.

Javaman

Just Cause 2 = Railworks expansion, confirmed.

xblcad.jpg

Max

I am not Max
Using the DX10 plugin for Deus Ex makes the game stutter to hell on start up, can hardly navigate the menu o.o

Blizzard

Banned
Max said:
Using the DX10 plugin for Deus Ex makes the game stutter to hell on start up, can hardly navigate the menu o.o
Really? Make sure all your settings are proper, or play with them and make sure you don't have anything set to crazy high. There might be some notes on the site. I seem to recall it made things a lot smoother for me, but I could be wrong...

Max

I am not Max
Blizzard said:
Really? Make sure all your settings are proper, or play with them and make sure you don't have anything set to crazy high. There might be some notes on the site. I seem to recall it made things a lot smoother for me, but I could be wrong...
Nevermind I just had to update directx

epmode

JudgeN said:
Never played Deus Ex but I keep hearing how good it is, what should my expectation be and are there any graphic mods?
There are graphic mods. Aside from the DX10 update for newer operating systems, they're mostly pointless and ugly.

It's still pretty awesome, considering that few games have even bothered trying to top it and none have succeeded. As that Rock Paper Shotgun retrospective mentioned, it seemed at the time to be the future of videogames. Alas, it was not to be. What a shame.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Blizzard said:
I just kinda realized that I basically had no desire to get Invisible War (I own and have played part of the original Deus Ex)...but I have no desire because the NeoGAF hivemind is remotely controlling me. And that's when I realized that it was UNDER THREE DOLLARS and decided to get it anyway. :lol

Even if it's horrible, I still thought the original SiN game was kinda fun/silly, so maybe this at least won't be worse than that.

It's not horrible, it's mediocre. XBox 1's memory restrictions caused the levels to be dramatically smaller than the sprawling maps of the first game. Attempts to streamline the game (the removal of the stats system and inventory Tetris as two examples) were seen as "dumbing down" for a console audience. The attempt to consolidate ammunition to be one single resource to manage meant that if you use weapons that quickly consumed ammo you were quickly out of *all* ammo for every gun.

In short, it's Deus Ex plus a bunch of streamlining that didn't work to the game's advantage the way it did for, say, Bioshock. Combine that with the memory limitations of the original XBox and the PC version's need to (for some reason that remains unfathomable to me to this day) kill the entire application and reload *EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A LEVEL* and you have a game that's seriously flawed but sometimes enjoyable if you dig FPS-RPG hybrids.

Then people hold it up next to Deus Ex and objectivity goes out the window: it's the worst thing that ever was, what sequel, etc.

JudgeN said:
Never played Deus Ex but I keep hearing how good it is, what should my expectation be and are there any graphic mods?

Your expectations should be that it's a phenomenal 2000 action/adventure game that tries to do much but doesn't do any one thing amazingly well. I say this as someone who holds Deus Ex near and dear to his heart, but who also wants to make sure it doesn't go overhyped to people playing a 10 year old game for the first time. Taken on a whole, it's probably one of the best games I've ever played. But don't think it'll grab you right away - the shooting is loose (especially at the beginning when you're not skilled), the stealth is at times frustrating and difficult, and the story can be oddly paced and convoluted. None of the mechanics feel "right" at first, and some never fully do.

But using those crude game mechanics I've crushed people by throwing furniture out of Maggie Chow's windows. I've managed to barely defeat a guard when I had my legs crippled by throwing a LAM at the right moment. I've given a kid a chocolate bar for a code to a secret passage way, then shot him in the back, took back my chocolate bar, then dumped his body in the river. I've also hacked into coworker's e-mail accounts then picked a lock on the janitor's closet and all my boss did was yell at me for going into the lady's restroom. In its breadth of experience, if not its depth, it remains something that can captivate people's attention and imagination even today. It's of a design philosophy you don't see much of these days - one that doesn't provide players an amazing experience but rather one that gives the player a lot of tools to create amazing experiences for themselves.

Alucrid

Banned
You guys owe me $2.49 if it doesn't live up to the hype. Luckily for you my Steam backlog is so large I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to playing it.

I have been out of the loop with Assassins Creed 2 for pc on steam, wasn't it 60$? now its 40, did they lower the price because of all the boycotting and hacking on their server? I mean MW2 is still 60$ so why the low price on AC2 and its not even a sale. I am not complaining just weirdly curious.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I may as well pick up Deus Ex combo for $5. The trailer for #3 got me a little hyped, so let's see how good the original is.

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
I'm giving up cereal for a week, PM me with your email to get a free copy of Deus Ex gifted from me. First 2 only. Also, shame on you for not owning it already.

Check your PM`s. Although im probably late and thats ok :p

just grabbed both deus ex games, played the second one for 5 minutes on consoles.

looking forward to seeing what the big deal is and getting some of the story for human revolution.

Twig

Banned
GhostRidah said:
I have been out of the loop with Assassins Creed 2 for pc on steam, wasn't it 60$? now its 40, did they lower the price because of all the boycotting and hacking on their server? I mean MW2 is still 60$ so why the low price on AC2 and its not even a sale. I am not complaining just weirdly curious.
ubisoft is not activision, activision is not ubisoft

different companies, different strategies

Twig said:
ubisoft is not activision, activision is not ubisoft

different companies, different strategies
Oh yea forgot about that, got them mixed up since they both priced pc games at 60 and I thought it was the same company lol

Salsa

Does someone feel like sending me 1 dollar through paypal or something ?, im a dollar for short to buy Deus Ex and i really dont wanna go to the bank :lol

Haha I just checked my debit account and hearing the automated voice tell me "Current Balance: ZERO DOLLARS AND 73 CENTS" when I was checking if I had enough for Deus Ex actually kinda hurt at the soul. Damn that Human Revolution for getting me psyched up =[

Also being a student sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom